Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179742 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2975 on: August 21, 2023, 09:04:33 AM »
That's the only update from the show?  :rollin I mean, it's a worthy mention for sure.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2976 on: August 21, 2023, 09:14:11 AM »
That's the only update from the show?  :rollin I mean, it's a worthy mention for sure.

Thought it was worth its own post lol

I haven't slept since the show but I'll definitely share my thoughts about it when I wake up ✌️
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2977 on: August 21, 2023, 09:21:10 AM »

I haven't slept since the show
but I'll definitely share my thoughts about it when I wake up ✌️
Seriously? I managed 7 hours, but I self medicated kinda hard.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2978 on: August 21, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »
Both shows were excellent. Setlists pretty much tell the story.

Creeping                               Whiplash
Harvester                              Bellz
Leper                                    Ride
King Nothing                         Dirty Window
Lux                                      72 Seasons
Too Far Gone                         If Darkness had a Son
Sanitarium                             Fade
Shadows Follow                     You Must Burn
ORION                                  Ktulu
NEM                                     No Leaf Clover
Sad but True                        Roam
Day that Never Comes           Moth
Hardwired                            Battery
Fuel                                    WHiskey
Seek                                   One
Master                                Sandman

They laid hard into Master on night one and Ride night two. Pretty much the best I could have hoped for. I'd never seen Orion nor Ktulu, and Orion was the song I was most hoping to see. Metty was most interested in Bellz, so we both did well.

Both nights were packed. News outlets are reporting approximately 100k, but that's a likely a bit optimistic. 80k seats sold is a lock, but I seriously doubt there were 20k on the floor.

I dug Wolfie's band. They were Alice in Changes but with a Van Halen playing the solos. Pantera did absolutely nothing for me, and we quite sensibly skipped the night two openers.

What the fuck kind of band brings so few event shirts that they sell out 2 hours before the show even starts? Seriously uncool. When you're turning a 1000% profit on the things it kind of makes sense to aim high.

Hats off to Metty who was my benefactor for the weekend, and sympathies to his brother whose tickets I got. We had good seats night one, and I "upgraded" us to slightly better ones for night two.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: August 21, 2023, 02:47:26 PM »

I haven't slept since the show
but I'll definitely share my thoughts about it when I wake up ✌️
Seriously? I managed 7 hours, but I self medicated kinda hard.

I still had an adrenaline high when I got back to the hotel, so I packed up and left. I only got to sleep around 9 am!

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: August 21, 2023, 04:44:51 PM »
I dug Wolfie's band. They were Alice in Changes but with a Van Halen playing the solos. Pantera did absolutely nothing for me, and we quite sensibly skipped the night two openers.

I concur, Mammoth WVH were the only opener worth a fuck. I'm actually listening to some of their stuff on youtube now and contemplating buying the new album.

What the fuck kind of band brings so few event shirts that they sell out 2 hours before the show even starts? Seriously uncool. When you're turning a 1000% profit on the things it kind of makes sense to aim high.

Still pretty bummed about that. There were two different t-shirts for each of the shows and they were both cool designs but we couldn't score either.

The shows were as damn near perfect as it gets. I lost most of my vocal capacity on night 1 (Friday) then the rest of it on the Metallica takeover events (Saturday) and was running on fumes come night 2 (Sunday) but still gave it all I got and now my throat hurts like crazy and my neck is stiff as fuck. I'm on a Ibuprofen/Tylenol rotation every 4 hours; I kid you not.

I went in premierly wanting Harvester and Bellz, with some wishful thinking for Thingy that I knew was unlikely.
Not only did I get both tracks, but I even got that terrific line-up of Ecstacy of Gold -- Creeping Death -- Harvester, which was my favorite setlist-flow from back when I was collecting their live audio bootlegs, it was how they opened a lot of shows from late 1992 and 1993.

From 72 Seasons, I wanted Lux Æterna, Darkness and the title track. Got all of these plus Shadows Follow which was incredible live.

If I gotta whine about something, and that would truly be whining cause I had an amazing time, it would be the chosen representatives of Death Magnetic and St. Anger. I'd have prefered All Nightmare Long or Cyanide for the first and Frantic or St. Anger for the latter.
As to Hardwired; I'm happy we got the title track, but I wish the 2nd choice was Halo of Fire, I deeply dislike Moth Into Flame.
I'm also not a fan of Ride The Lightning's title track.

Saturday was a blast as well. The tribute bands Metallica brought out to tour with them ranged from terrific to really good, they were also pretty cool to hang out with after the show and share stories about how their participation in this M72 thing came about.
Then I left that venue to the bar where Bastardane and Otto were playing, they're Castor Hetfield and Tye Trujillo's bands respectively, but otherwise they've got nothing at all to do with Metallica, yet advertised as part of "Metallica Takeover" weekend. They turned out to be pretty good bands anyway.

Seeing Castor Hetfield in person was pretty fascinating; it's like looking at James Hetfield from any 1985/86 videos.
I watched Otto's set, Tye Trujillo's band, with his dad. A fellow fan club chapter member snapped some cool shots of that.

I'm sure I left out a shit ton of details but that's all that came to mind right now.

Last, but not least, the weekend was made significantly easier and a hell lot more fun because I was fortunate enough to have the company of the chief concert strategist and his chick-magnet beard!

* I remain a conscientious objector of the DTF middle finger tradition heh

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2981 on: August 21, 2023, 05:29:10 PM »
Saw the Sunday night show at the movie theater. I'm really thinking about hitting both Phoenix shows. Seeing Hetfield playing all those riffs, just made feel like he is the best riff writer ever.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: August 21, 2023, 11:08:25 PM »
Lovely write-up, Progmetty, and great photo of you both to finish with :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: August 22, 2023, 01:46:38 AM »

Interesting to say you got nothing out of Pantera.  I know it's basically a tribute, but figured their set in TX might be a bit more interesting than say NJ (where they were easily the best of the 4 openers, and I'm a big wolfie fan). FFDP kind of sucks, and I didn't care for INK but they at least had a very entertaining set.  Pretty cool though that 80k+ showed up.   I'd guess that was probably the same turn out for Metlife.  Which is actually pretty incredible to get that many people out to a metal show.  Metallica truly are the biggest metal band out there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2984 on: August 22, 2023, 12:27:14 PM »
Lovely write-up, Progmetty, and great photo of you both to finish with :biggrin:

Yeah, jealous of that!  That looks like a good time for sure!  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: August 22, 2023, 01:26:35 PM »

and we fucked up not doing one at dreamsonic.  I realized that the next morning sadly. That is a great pic and nice to see Progmetty  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2986 on: August 22, 2023, 01:53:30 PM »
Prometty looks about as exactly as I'd picture him. Maybe it's because he does kind of look like his avatar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: August 22, 2023, 04:50:55 PM »

and we fucked up not doing one at dreamsonic.  I realized that the next morning sadly. That is a great pic and nice to see Progmetty  :metal

Thanks fellas!

Prometty looks about as exactly as I'd picture him. Maybe it's because he does kind of look like his avatar.

I've become Nelson Muntz; the destroyer of balls.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2988 on: August 22, 2023, 05:23:45 PM »

Interesting to say you got nothing out of Pantera.  I know it's basically a tribute, but figured their set in TX might be a bit more interesting than say NJ (where they were easily the best of the 4 openers, and I'm a big wolfie fan). FFDP kind of sucks, and I didn't care for INK but they at least had a very entertaining set.  Pretty cool though that 80k+ showed up.   I'd guess that was probably the same turn out for Metlife.  Which is actually pretty incredible to get that many people out to a metal show.  Metallica truly are the biggest metal band out there.
:tup
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2989 on: August 31, 2023, 04:57:50 PM »
Metallica has unveiled the official live video of their performance of "Hardwired," recorded in Montréal
https://lotsofmuzik.com/metallica-unveils-official-live-video-of-hardwired-in-montreal/
 :metal

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2990 on: September 03, 2023, 04:09:53 PM »
https://loudwire.com/dee-snider-criticizes-metallica-no-repeat-weekend/

I don’t think I could possible disagree with Dee anymore. First of all don’t put Twisted Sister in the same sentence as Metallica and Kiss.

Metallica is able to pull off this gimmick because of the amount of hits they have in their catalogue. They latest albums are still relevant. Finally most of the crowd are doing both shows so they are basically getting a 32 song set.

Also I'll fight anyone who dared boo seeing A Matter of Life and Dead in full. I'll fight them right now.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 04:20:31 PM by Pappy »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2991 on: September 03, 2023, 04:24:30 PM »
https://loudwire.com/dee-snider-criticizes-metallica-no-repeat-weekend/

I don’t think I could possible disagree with Dee anymore. First of all don’t put Twisted Sister in the same sentence as Metallica and Kiss.

Metallica is able to pull off this gimmick because of the amount of hits they have in their catalogue. They latest albums are still relevant. Finally most of the crowd are doing both shows so they are basically getting a 32 song set.

From the article:

…people like you are the minority; they're not even close to the majority. You're 10%, 5%, 1% of the crowd who really want to hear those deep cuts and will savor it when they go into those songs.

Sorry if I come across as a “gatekeeper” but seriously F everyone else.   You know how irritating it is to go to an Iron Maiden show and have some drunk idiot behind me who has never listened to a single note that wasn’t on anything between NOTB-PS screaming that he wants to hear Powerslave, and when SOTC starts up you’re trying to tell him to shut the crap up because my favorite song is starting, and he’s too myopic to even know what the song is???

No wonder I don’t go to shows anymore.  I almost WANT to go see Metallica again (haven’t seen them since the Black Album) BECAUSE they are doing this. If they are just going to parade out an entire set of RTL-TBA night after night, they will never get another dime from me.

Ugh…passive music fans ruin music. It’s freaking maddening.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2992 on: September 03, 2023, 04:28:16 PM »
And for the record…catering to that 5% is what shows you still care. The absence of giving a crap about that 5% is the absence of giving a crap about your fans.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2993 on: September 03, 2023, 04:30:38 PM »
I would add that majority of a Metallica crowd is there to see Metallica not specific songs while a TS crowd (if they still toured) would be there to see we all know what songs

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2994 on: September 03, 2023, 04:36:49 PM »
Dee comes off as jealous. They are on a STADIUM tour playing TWO shows in each city.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2995 on: September 03, 2023, 04:41:00 PM »
Oddly enough, I don’t think the two sets have nearly enough deep cuts. They have soooo many hits that it’s basically two nights of hits and a handful of other songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2996 on: September 03, 2023, 04:58:17 PM »
Another thing that I thought of that ticks me off about Dee’s statement is that he’s of the opinion that the artist is *obligated* to play what the masses want.  I have always really hated that idea.

“Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song.” - The Professor

Even though Rush always played Tom Sawyer, Neil always said that it was still a challenge after all those years to play it correctly. And personally, I never felt like the band was “obligated” to play anything at all. And my favorite later day tours, were the SAA and CA tours where at least a third or more was newer material.

I didn’t think this would irritate me so much. I guess I need to  :chill

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2997 on: September 03, 2023, 05:08:36 PM »
I’m not a big TS fan but Dee is a business man first and foremost and his business is music. I’m confident he’d admit that. So from a business perspective, I see it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2998 on: September 03, 2023, 05:35:09 PM »
Also I'll fight anyone who dared boo seeing A Matter of Life and Dead in full. I'll fight them right now.

I didn't boo, but it was my first time seeing Maiden and it's easily my least favorite of the 5-6 times I've seen them live.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2999 on: September 03, 2023, 06:21:18 PM »

I’m right with you, brother. I would have laid down several C-notes to see that show. The very idea that anyone wouldn’t appreciate what is going to go down in history as the “holy grail” of Maiden shows just makes me shake my head.

Of course the *one tour* that I wanted to see more than any other, is the *one tour* they didn’t give an official release to…and probably never will.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3000 on: September 03, 2023, 06:31:07 PM »

I didn't boo, but it was my first time seeing Maiden and it's easily my least favorite of the 5-6 times I've seen them live.

I missed the show in Boston because we were in Disney at the time. One problem was that the East Coast dates were right after the album was released. I just don't think people had enough time to soak it in yet. Thankfully there's a bunch of great boots from that tour, both video and audio.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3001 on: September 03, 2023, 06:52:07 PM »

I missed the show in Boston because we were in Disney at the time. One problem was that the East Coast dates were right after the album was released. I just don't think people had enough time to soak it in yet. Thankfully there's a bunch of great boots from that tour, both video and audio.

Yeah, the NJ show was right after the album dropped and nobody really knew it yet. I'm not even against them playing the whole thing, but I think they might have been better served alternating 2-3 new songs with an old song just to keep the crowd engaged. The crowd energy was so low by the time they got to the classics.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3002 on: September 03, 2023, 06:59:47 PM »
I completely understand that. It took a while for the album to sink in at the time.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3003 on: September 03, 2023, 08:12:57 PM »
I’m not a big TS fan but Dee is a business man first and foremost and his business is music. I’m confident he’d admit that. So from a business perspective, I see it.

Sure, the thing is Metallica has such a deep catalog of very recognizable songs in their 40+ years career that they can get away with something like this two nights, no repeated songs that other bands just aren't able to and still pack stadiums and have 50k+ people a night and give the majority of the crowd a great show.

On top of that, Metallica seems to be a band throughout their entire career to not play by other bands' rules or formats or structure.  What worked for other bands, not necessarily work out for themselves.  Other bands can only envy that they would have as deep as a catalog that Metallica has that they can get away with play various songs that they created that the fans can enjoy.

Edit: On a sadder note, James have COVID, they got to postpone night two in their shows in Phoenix.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:20:18 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Pappy

« Reply #3004 on: September 03, 2023, 08:49:27 PM »
The other band he mentioned, KISS, could pull it off too. I’m not saying filling an arena or anything just saying they have  a deep enough discography they could pull off a two 16 song setlists with no repeats and fans would go home happy.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #3005 on: September 04, 2023, 04:07:34 AM »

Yeah, the NJ show was right after the album dropped and nobody really knew it yet. I'm not even against them playing the whole thing, but I think they might have been better served alternating 2-3 new songs with an old song just to keep the crowd engaged. The crowd energy was so low by the time they got to the classics.

Thinking about this. First time I saw Maiden was in 2010 and they played majority post reunion stuff and it was amazing. I think the reason being is I came on board with Maiden right after Dance of Death. So songs from the reunion records, AMoLaD meant just as much to me and where just as much classics as Hills, Hallowed, Trooper, etc. AMoLaD was my first new Maiden record experience and I loved every song. Still my favorite Maiden record so yeah I'd enjoy that more than  loving the setlist to say the Somewhere Back In Time tour setlist.

To bring it back to Metallica I was introduced to them via S&M. So Load songs were just as much classics to me as Black Album, 80s stuff. I selfishly hope for some Load cuts when I see them. I'd rather hear Bleeding Me, Outlaw, Sleeps, King Nothing than many 80's classics.  I'm sure the same can be said about folks who came on board with DM, Hardwired, and 72. Because of these bands longevity and ability to stay relevant for multiple generations they have classics from multiple eras.

Not to shit on Dee cause I like Dee and more often than not agree with him but Twisted Sister stopped making albums in what 87? Nobody is being introduced to anything new by them. (I dig his solo work that being said). So yeah every generation is being introduced to TS with the same two-three songs and expect to hear them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3006 on: September 04, 2023, 04:38:05 AM »
Forget about Dee Snider.

The way more important news is that a dog ran away to attend a Metallica show, and was reunited with her owner the day after  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: September 04, 2023, 04:57:50 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3008 on: September 04, 2023, 07:02:06 AM »

I LOVED that NJ show, but I think I was the only one  :lol people were booing in my section.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3009 on: September 05, 2023, 07:44:00 AM »
Just got around to reading that article.  Dee IS right, though; the problem is, it's just not a one-sized-fits-all comment.   Twisted is not doing two nights in a row at stadia; they're probably not even headlining over a medium sized theater.  They HAVE to play the hits. They also don't have a very deep catalogue.  "Come Back" blows; it's not that it's a "deep cut", it's that it sucks.   Maiden did AMOLAD, but they have always - at least since the reunion and before COVID - alternated album tours with legacy tours, so all the fans have got their sort of moment in the sun.  You want hits? You're the 95%?  Go to the "Legacy Of The Beast" show.  You want deep cuts?  Go to the "Somewhere in Senjustsu" or whatever the hell it's called tour.