Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179721 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2940 on: August 04, 2023, 08:32:49 AM »
I really wanted to get there early to see Prong, but I just can't because I need next Thursday/Friday off for my brother's bachelor party, and therefore I needed to be working today.  Oh well, I still told my boss I'm out early because I started early today so I can get to the stadium for 5pm, have a drink/smoke in the lot and head in for Wolfie.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2941 on: August 05, 2023, 09:19:18 AM »

Metallica - Battery LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

Metallica - King Nothing LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

and well, they did this too  :lol

Metallica - Rose Avenue (Rob & Kirk Doodle) LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

Fun night, but honestly didn't love the setlist choices although I got to see a bunch of songs for the first time. However, I'm sure that means night 2 will be better. Definitely a fun night though, Pantera and Wolfie were awesome too.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2942 on: August 06, 2023, 02:28:44 AM »
Awesome badass photo  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2943 on: August 06, 2023, 06:43:50 AM »
Throw out the rules. Play Shadows both shows.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2944 on: August 06, 2023, 07:41:25 AM »

Metallica - Battery LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

Metallica - King Nothing LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

and well, they did this too  :lol

Metallica - Rose Avenue (Rob & Kirk Doodle) LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

Fun night, but honestly didn't love the setlist choices although I got to see a bunch of songs for the first time. However, I'm sure that means night 2 will be better. Definitely a fun night though, Pantera and Wolfie were awesome too.

Great picture and it was a fun show for sure. Allowing that they were certainly going to play a few songs from the new album, the only setlist choice I wasn't really thrilled with was Holier Than Thou.

Awesome opening sets for sure, kind of wish they weren't both on Friday because neither opening band today really does much for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2945 on: August 07, 2023, 04:01:04 AM »
According to Reddit Metallica were on fire last night. Any of you lucky fuckers there?

I’m kinda kicking myself for not seeing them at Download back in June. I’ve only seen them live twice (both at UK festivals) but it was truly a religious experience both times. Maybe I’ve missed my chance to see them at the level they apparently performed last night, but hopefully not.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2946 on: August 07, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »
They were incredible both nights at MetLife, but last night especially.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2947 on: August 07, 2023, 07:08:40 AM »
I've been watching their tour videos nearly every night for the past few months and I have been super impressed.

James, especially for his age, sounds amazing.

Kirk's playing has made a major return to form, and he's probably on par with where he was in the mid to late '90s.

Rob has really stepped up in the backing vocals department (no Jason, but who is?)

And Lars, well, what can I say? Lars is Lars. I've always enjoyed his playing, and yes, he is as loosey-goosey as ever, but I am way past the point in my life where I care to dissect the performances of musicians I admire, especially when the band as a whole is delivering the goods.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2948 on: August 07, 2023, 07:10:23 AM »
So the Minneapolis stop on this tour isn't for another year. I'm not typically an arena show person, but there's no other way to see Metallica. I saw them once back in 2000. As a long time fan, I feel like I should see them on this tour. Not that it's a farewell tour or anything, but it does seem like a special tour. My only hesitation is that the only tickets that are reasonable for my budget are not going to be great seats. I can't get myself to pay the prices for any better seats. I'm used to paying $30 or less for club shows for most of the bands I like.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2949 on: August 07, 2023, 07:35:37 AM »
So the Minneapolis stop on this tour isn't for another year. I'm not typically an arena show person, but there's no other way to see Metallica. I saw them once back in 2000. As a long time fan, I feel like I should see them on this tour. Not that it's a farewell tour or anything, but it does seem like a special tour. My only hesitation is that the only tickets that are reasonable for my budget are not going to be great seats. I can't get myself to pay the prices for any better seats. I'm used to paying $30 or less for club shows for most of the bands I like.

I got my tickets the day of each show. Spent 60 bucks on nosebleeds for night one, then spent 120 on 100 level seats for night two. It’s a risk as there’s always a chance they sell out, but if tickets are still available the day of, you can get them for pretty cheap.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2950 on: August 07, 2023, 07:42:03 AM »

Yea man, I feel kinda the same. I owe it to myself to go see them before they are no longer performing.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2951 on: August 07, 2023, 07:46:10 AM »
MetLife was unbelievable. The band was on fire and for as old as they're getting, the band still has the energy and drive to create an amazing show. Highlights of both nights were the instrumentals, and the opening songs. 

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2952 on: August 07, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
The debuted Too Far Gone on night 2!  Definitely one of my faves from 72 Seasons.

Agreed on Rob.  He is no Jason vocally, but he has definitely stepped it up on the backing vocals this tour.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2953 on: August 07, 2023, 08:58:59 AM »
The debuted Too Far Gone on night 2!  Definitely one of my faves from 72 Seasons.

Agreed on Rob.  He is no Jason vocally, but he has definitely stepped it up on the backing vocals this tour.

Let me preface this by saying that I really like the album, and would rate it higher than Hardwired at this point.

That said, "Too Far Gone" is, hands down, my favorite song on the album. In fact, when I first heard "Lux Eterna," I was hoping for an entire album of songs in the vein of "Too Far Gone."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2954 on: August 07, 2023, 09:07:47 AM »
Yeah, so I don't know exactly what it was (setlist maybe?) but Metallica were much better last night than night 1.  My gf agreed as we both looked at each other about half way through the set in agreement that the overall vibe was much better.  Sound was significantly better too.  Crowd seemed way more into it right from the start.  And I think starting with three 80s songs really just upped the crowd.  There were some nice big mosh pits on the floor, bigger than Friday. 

Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/6/2023

Metallica - Too Far Gone? (LIVE Debut) @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/6/2023

Metallica - Ride The Lightning LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/6/2023

I think at the end of the day, I'm not a fan of this stage.  It's pretty cool and impressive, but it's kind of hard to follow the members on stage.  They kind of get lost sometimes in the lights or in the areas that we being blocked by the big stands/screens/speakers surrounding the stage.  I get the point of being in the round too.  I think it would just work better with a smaller stage and more focus on the band playing together instead of so spread out.  I do think it was cool how Lars' drum set played in all four corners of the circle.  I didn't know at all how this happened on night 1, but I paid more attention and saw that the drum set does move from underneath the stage.  Very cool and you are easily distracted because there's usually some video or intro music playing with the lights off as this happens. 

Both nights Kirk and Rob did their doodle together.  I honestly think as cool as it is to see some guys just fuck around, it's incredibly boring and uninteresting.  What they did last night was terrible.  The first night was better, but still.  It was the one part of the night where everyone in my section sat down.  I also thought it was funny that Rob did the same intro to the doodle both nights as if most of the crowd wasn't there the previous night  :lol

As mentioned, I enjoyed the setlist for night 2 better.  Blackened may have been the most wild song of the weekend.  Biggest mosh pit and crowd went wild for it.  Personally, I LOVED getting to see Ride The Lightning.  Also since it followed For Whom The Bell Tolls, I think the crowd just was really eating it up and RtL is my favorite Metallica album.  I think of the 3x 72 Seasons songs from each night, the 3 from night 2 are more of my favorites than night 1.  It was pretty cool to get to see 2 live debuts.   The Unforgiven was also awesome.  For night 1, I loved King Nothing but it seemed the crowd didn't care too much for it.   The Day That Never Comes I could do without, but I was reminded that it really is one of their better songs from that album and I'm glad I got to see it. 

Both nights they had these huge blow up balls drop and it was just so much that it was really fun to watch.  It's like the band got swarmed with them too on stage.  Probably would have been a lot of fun on the floor for those songs. 

Contrary to my pictures, not much pyro.  Night 1 had pyro for Fuel and thats it.  Night 2 had pyro for Moth Into Flame and the intro to One.  No fireworks after the show.  No actual encores, although both nights were a solid 2 hours.  The band did come out after the end to talk to the crowd for a bit both nights, both nights I was already trying to exit the stadium so I didn't catch much of what they had to say.

Overall, awesome weekend.  Enjoyed watching the opening bands.  I think my tickets came out, per ticket per day after taxes/fess to $93. My seat wasn't great, but certainly not a bad seat. (200 level endzone aisle seats)  I thought that was a great value.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2955 on: August 07, 2023, 01:15:08 PM »
Was at MetLife this weekend. I thought the shows were incredible. I hadn't been keeping up with setlists, so it was mostly a surprise. I had been spoiled on social media from their first show that they had played Orion, You Must Burn!, and Until It Sleeps (which they ended up not playing, sadly)... But the 32 songs we  ended up with were fantastic all around.

I gotta say the sound was much better than I was anticipating for a stadium show. Last time I went to MetLife was on the Hardwired tour in 2017 and the sound was poor at best. This sounded very nice where I was (nosebleeds). Setlist was great, lots of older stuff, new album stuff, but also hit every album at least once (except St. Anger). I wouldn't have minded a Frantic or something else from the album, but it didn't matter.

Overall, go see this show if you're on the fence. I don't think any Metallica fan would leave disappointed.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2956 on: August 07, 2023, 01:19:02 PM »

I got my tickets the day of each show. Spent 60 bucks on nosebleeds for night one, then spent 120 on 100 level seats for night two. It’s a risk as there’s always a chance they sell out, but if tickets are still available the day of, you can get them for pretty cheap.
For now there are tons of seats left for the Minneapolis show, so I'm not in a huge hurry to make a decision. I think the seats I'm looking at are $140 for both night (probably $550 after fees :lol) I hate that I'm so frugal sometimes, but that is a lot of money for me to shell out on two nights of concerts in a single weekend. Decent seats are $300 plus for both nights. Seats as close as I usually am for concerts are $1000+. I know being there live is better than watching videos, but seeing the guys like ants on the stage doesn't sound like an awesome experience.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: August 07, 2023, 01:53:29 PM »

For now there are tons of seats left for the Minneapolis show, so I'm not in a huge hurry to make a decision. I think the seats I'm looking at are $140 for both night (probably $550 after fees :lol) I hate that I'm so frugal sometimes, but that is a lot of money for me to shell out on two nights of concerts in a single weekend. Decent seats are $300 plus for both nights. Seats as close as I usually am for concerts are $1000+. I know being there live is better than watching videos, but seeing the guys like ants on the stage doesn't sound like an awesome experience.

I noticed some $30 tickets yesterday before the show.  It did seem like some ticket deals were available.  Metlife was almost sold out, but not quite and it just seemed like tickets were available near start of show for better prices (I didn't check on Friday though). 

As for the bolded, being in the round's benefit is the times they are facing you, you get a better view than if you had shit seats in a traditional set up.  WHat does suck, is the screens they have are pretty small too.  They didn't use the big screens in Metlife, just the ones surrounding the stage.  And while I really try not to watch the screens normally, it was much easier for this show since the screens were small enough that I might as well watch the ants. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2958 on: August 07, 2023, 10:10:03 PM »
Did anyone else notice Kirk's solo during Harvester Of Sorrow on Friday night?  I couldn't tell if it was intentional but the second half of the solo was not even remotely like any other time I've heard him play it live. 

And, surprisingly, I seem to be the only person who preferred Friday night's setlist.  I've always loved Creeping Death live.  Battery and MoP are my #1 and 2 favorite Metallica songs.  And, for me, 72 Seasons and Shadows Follow are the 2 best songs from the new album.  Too Far Gone and You Must Burn are just too mid-tempo and plodding for me.  Both nights were really good.  On Sunday, for me personally, there were just more "down" moments.  And, those Rob/Kirk jams are a complete waste of time!

As far as the openers go... Wolfie was good.  I love the 1st album, haven't gotten a chance to listen to the 2nd album yet.  Pantera was incredible!  It was so great to see a sober Phil singing those songs again,  A really solid set.  I'm sure IceNineKills has an audience.  They just weren't for me.  And, while I've been aware of 5FDP, other than their cover songs, I'd never heard them live.  I was surprised with how melodic the singing was.  What I really enjoyed about them, though, was how Ivan (singer) was smiling and interacting with the crowd.  He was genuinely having a great time himself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2959 on: August 08, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »
I'm not much of a FFDP fan, but I agree that Ivan's crowd interaction is top notch.  I can't believe how many people were throwing their phones on stage for him to take videos and throw back.  Also all the clothing items being thrown at him (mostly hats, don't think I saw any bras  :lol).  Also Ice Nine Kills musically wasn't my tastes, but they definitely put on an entertaining set.  Even though I enjoy Mammoth WVH a lot more, I thought Ice Nine Kills were probably the better of the two openers.  And Pantera were easily the best of the 4.

My full videos from both shows are finished with basically all of video footage including the openers:

Metallica Five Finger Death Punch Ice Nine Kills LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/6/2023

Metallica Pantera & Mammoth WVH LIVE @ Metlife Stadium East Rutherford NJ 8/4/2023

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2960 on: August 08, 2023, 07:32:56 PM »
I gotta say the whole weekend was a blast. I thought Metallica was on point both nights and did a great job filling out the two setlists. I could have done with one less Black Album song each night (Holier Than Though and Wherever I May Roam respectively), but otherwise a very good mix of material. The new songs were mostly fine to good live, and James's voice sounded pretty strong. I'd agree with cram, Pantera had the best set of all the openers. The whole damn building lost it's collective mind for Walk, holy shit was that intense :metal I was also really impressed with Five Finger Death Punch. I didn't love some of the harsher vocals, but there was some cool riffage and solos and the frontman Ivan was just very engaging and seemed like a genuine and positive dude. Don't know that I'd start collecting their albums, but I'd for sure make the effort to see them live again.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2961 on: August 09, 2023, 01:55:15 AM »
Whaaaaat? I'd sell people on the black market for a chance to hear Wherever I May Roam live  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2962 on: August 09, 2023, 08:07:17 AM »
Whaaaaat? I'd sell people on the black market for a chance to hear Wherever I May Roam live  :biggrin:

It's not one of my favorites and I'd be cool with a different song, but the song definitely rocked live and the crowd was into it. Holier Than Thou can go though.  For some reason, that song gets played every time I see Metallica and it needs to stop, it's not worthy of that treatment.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2963 on: August 17, 2023, 05:23:21 PM »
Rick Beato's interview with Kirk is up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEhq_Efx9Ug
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2964 on: August 18, 2023, 09:04:37 AM »
Kirk is a weird fuck. Seems like he's only recently started doing interviews, as this is only the second time I've actually heard him speak in any detail. I understand why people assumed he's gay (and who knows, maybe he is, but nobody cares anymore), but it seems to me he's just an airhead so-Cal surfer boy. I think that boy spent all of his educational years hanging out on a beach smoking dope.

edit: and I don't mean that in a bad way. Hell, growing up one of my heroes was Jeff Spicoli.   :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2965 on: August 18, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
Criminy, tonight's show is going to be a massive amount of work. It's about a perfect storm. Parking was sold out pretty much as soon as it went on sale (and at $75+/car), so the next available parking is private lots .75 to 1.25 miles out. It's supposed to hit 110 today. There's a Rangers game happening right next door, adding to the chaos. Because of Pantera (and this is their hometown show) it's a full house at Jerry World. The only good part about it all is the early start time, so the baseball fans won't be a problem until after the show.

I'm actually pretty excited about it, but man, it's going to be a trial.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: August 18, 2023, 09:45:47 AM »
Damn 75 to park?! It was 40 at Metlife Stadium.  Sounds like a lot of effort to attend, but it'll probably be worth it. Have fun  :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2967 on: August 18, 2023, 09:46:54 AM »
Criminy, tonight's show is going to be a massive amount of work. It's about a perfect storm. Parking was sold out pretty much as soon as it went on sale (and at $75+/car), so the next available parking is private lots .75 to 1.25 miles out. It's supposed to hit 110 today. There's a Rangers game happening right next door, adding to the chaos. Because of Pantera (and this is their hometown show) it's a full house at Jerry World. The only good part about it all is the early start time, so the baseball fans won't be a problem until after the show.

I'm actually pretty excited about it, but man, it's going to be a trial.  :lol

I hope you get hear Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 10:03:16 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2968 on: August 18, 2023, 09:55:59 AM »
Kirk is a weird fuck. Seems like he's only recently started doing interviews, as this is only the second time I've actually heard him speak in any detail. I understand why people assumed he's gay (and who knows, maybe he is, but nobody cares anymore), but it seems to me he's just an airhead so-Cal surfer boy. I think that boy spent all of his educational years hanging out on a beach smoking dope.

edit: and I don't mean that in a bad way. Hell, growing up one of my heroes was Jeff Spicoli.   :lol

He is a weird dude.  A little too flighty for me. HAHA.

Though I like that look a lot (except for the shoes). 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2969 on: August 18, 2023, 11:00:29 AM »
Does Metallica have anything to do with the parking prices?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2970 on: August 18, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »
Does Metallica have anything to do with the parking prices?
None at all. That's entirely on Jerry Jones and whoever owns the surrounding businesses.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2971 on: August 20, 2023, 11:16:54 AM »

If I remember correctly, I believe Kirk has stage fright. I guess it carries over to interviews, hence them being few and far between as well as the nervous energy you see from him.

-MirrorMask

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: August 21, 2023, 12:20:26 AM »
Lady sitting behind us at the 2nd show asked Barto if she can run her fingers through his beard.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2973 on: August 21, 2023, 07:05:16 AM »
Lady sitting behind us at the 2nd show asked Barto if she can run her fingers through his beard.
And did he let her?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2974 on: August 21, 2023, 08:57:16 AM »
And did he let her?

He said, and this is an exact quote, "why would you wanna do that?"

Whether he let her or not I'm not sure cause I went back to headbanging and singing while the exchange was still going heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.