Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179118 times)

Offline Pappy

Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2870 on: June 02, 2023, 04:03:26 PM »
If I had one complaint about modern day Metallica. Really since the Hardwired tour it's all the intros they have now. I totally get why they are there. It provides the boys with a quick break. But there are so many now. Really when it comes down to it I'm mostly just mad that they went Ecstasy to Creep Intro to Creep. There just isn't a better way to start a Metallica gig with Ectasy into the four count into Creeping Death.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2871 on: June 02, 2023, 04:09:10 PM »
If I had one complaint about modern day Metallica. Really since the Hardwired tour it's all the intros they have now. I totally get why they are there. It provides the boys with a quick break. But there are so many now. Really when it comes down to it I'm mostly just mad that they went Ecstasy to Creep Intro to Creep. There just isn't a better way to start a Metallica gig with Ectasy into the four count into Creeping Death.

Gonna agree with you. It feels a majority of their songs now have pretaped intros. Sometimes they're interesting and cool like Ktulu, but most of the time they just seem like the intro to the song elongated and Metallica comes in on the main riff. It just takes me out of it after a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2872 on: June 03, 2023, 11:51:37 AM »
There just isn't a better way to start a Metallica gig with Ecstasy into the four count into Creeping Death.

Ecstasy into Blackened Tape into Blackened would like a word.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2873 on: June 03, 2023, 02:56:56 PM »
There just isn't a better way to start a Metallica gig with Ecstasy into the four count into Creeping Death.

That's fair

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2874 on: June 05, 2023, 10:06:51 AM »
Saw a FB post about today being the 20 year anniversary of St. Anger, an album I once saw referred to as "Headache simulator" and I will never not find that funny. Just such an accurate description for how it feels sitting through the album.  :lol

With that said I do have some nostalgia towards it, firstly because I've seen Some Kind of Monster multiple times and I just find that era of the band to be so fascinating. Secondly, I did spend a lot of time with it when I was 15, it has a bit of a nu-metal vibe/aesthetic to it and as an angsty teenager I was listening to a lot of that. The biggest issues with the album for me really is the sound of the album (that snare) and if the last 3 Metallica albums have gotten complaints for having overly long songs, St. Anger really started that and also there's no solos on here so the songs feel twice as long.

Some of these songs have some interesting ideas and I think a re-recording of the album where the band mixed it differently, changed the songs a bit (shortened them) it could have been decent. As it is now, it is their weakest album and it really is a challenge to try and sit through it mostly because every song has that "BONK BONK" going on. It's a meme album but it is interesting in some ways I would say. I wish I could say there was some hidden gem of a song on there that I could champion but even some of the songs I tolerate more than others suffer from bloat and painful sections.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2875 on: June 05, 2023, 10:11:26 AM »
I’d leave SA alone. 

I don’t like it much but it’s a time capsule of where they were. Re-recording it and changing it would alter the one thing that makes it interesting.

Plus they already tend to change up the songs when they play them live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2876 on: June 06, 2023, 09:30:05 AM »
The only thing I have to say about SA is that I absolutely HATED the album version of All Within My Hands. Yet, the acoustic version of it from S&M2 sounds GREAT and I like it! Bad arrangement and poor mixing kill that album.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2877 on: June 06, 2023, 12:37:21 PM »
I will never, ever, EVER listen to St. Anger again. And by "again", I mean beyond the two times I tried to listen to it when it was released.

I saw the title track live and it was quite ok however. Also The Unnamed Feeling is cool. But life is too short to give another chance to St. Anger.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #2878 on: June 06, 2023, 01:31:04 PM »
I've never listened to it. Some day I probably should.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2879 on: June 06, 2023, 03:31:08 PM »
I listened to all their albums in a row before 72 came out. Every time I listen to St. Anger, I always hope I’ll enjoy it more but I never do. Just a dumpster fire of an album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: June 06, 2023, 11:33:21 PM »
I'd genuinely rather listen to St Anger than The Astonishing :biggrin:

Tell you what I won't listen, though. Lulu. Now that was a proper shocker.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: June 07, 2023, 04:02:02 AM »
SA was fantastic IMO.  So unique.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2882 on: June 07, 2023, 04:54:30 AM »
I think both LuLu and St Anger are absolutely terrible records. Probably some the worst I have ever heard from a well known artist, I am not joking. If I had to make a bottom ten records I have heard, LuLu would be the absolute bottom. Both records came out when I was getting into metal. A couple of weeks ago, after more than a decade of enjoying metal, I returned to them as my tastes have changed. Still terrible to my ears/taste. Death Magnetic is fantastic though and perhaps one of the biggest returns to form I can think of.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2883 on: June 07, 2023, 07:15:35 AM »
The live in studio performance on the DVD is so much better than the proper album. Huge improvement.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2884 on: June 07, 2023, 07:19:09 AM »
The live in studio performance on the DVD is so much better than the proper album. Huge improvement.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, that is the ONLY way I want to experience those songs (save for the rare live performance).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2885 on: June 07, 2023, 07:49:00 AM »
St Anger is a joke of a release. They should be grateful that anyone listens to them anymore after they plopped out that giant steamer.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2886 on: June 07, 2023, 08:33:04 AM »
I've never listened to Lulu, and I can't imagine that I ever will.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2887 on: June 07, 2023, 08:56:12 AM »

And for better or worse, it's officially a Lou Reed album, anyway. He's hard to take on the best of days.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2888 on: June 07, 2023, 08:58:47 AM »
SA was fantastic IMO.  So unique.

I agree my bro... I dont love it, Im not sure I even like it that much lol, but it has some odd grunge elements and hardcore mixed in,  I like that its a reflection of their turmoil and they felt free enough to make the album,  my biggest gripe is that Frantic is too long as an opener and tires me out a bit LOL  hmmmmm MELVINTALLICA LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: June 07, 2023, 09:11:17 AM »

And for better or worse, it's officially a Lou Reed album, anyway. He's hard to take on the best of days.

Exactly. I don't view it as a Metallica album. It's a Lou Reed album with Metallica backing him up.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2890 on: June 07, 2023, 09:12:51 AM »

That is the exact reason I've never listened to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2891 on: June 07, 2023, 09:18:37 AM »
I will say that while I'm not a fan of Lulu, I don't think it's as bad as St. Anger. It's different and the fact they made it with Lou Reed makes it a bit of an oddity and an interesting passion project at the very least. Feels like it's rare to see bands at that level of popularity just making a passion project album with a musician they like. But yeah I listened to it when it came out and haven't felt a strong urge to return.

The best thing about St. Anger is the Some Kind of Monster documentary in my opinion. Seeing the band at their lowest point is quite interesting and I thought it was fun to see the bass player auditions as well, Rob's first hangouts with the band. Also interesting to hear just how all over the place those recording sessions were. There's a moment when Lars brings in his dad to listen and the music sounds like a weird 90s grunge thing and his dad does not approve at all. In the end you get the angriest (no pun intended) album ever made.

If you remixed St. Anger and trimmed it down from a 75 minute album to a 40-45 minute album I think it would have been perfectly fine for what they were going for. It's just none of these songs needs to be 7-8 minutes, especially without solos. Most of the songs have some redeeming qualities, like the "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" line in Frantic, or the main riff in Some Kind of Monster or something else like that. But I can't say there's a single song that just works all the way through.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: June 07, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »
If you remixed St. Anger and trimmed it down from a 75 minute album to a 40-45 minute album I think it would have been perfectly fine for what they were going for. It's just none of these songs needs to be 7-8 minutes, especially without solos. Most of the songs have some redeeming qualities, like the "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" line in Frantic, or the main riff in Some Kind of Monster or something else like that. But I can't say there's a single song that just works all the way through.

I think you could say that about 72 seasons too (regarding trimming).  But I generally agree, those songs would be better being shorter.  I actually liked St. Anger on release.  It fit the time period of music, but it had 0 staying power.  The songs got old and stale VERY quick and had very little reason to go back to them.  I haven't listened to St. Anger in full probably since then, about 3 months after release and have no desire to check it out again. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: June 07, 2023, 09:31:41 AM »
I will say that while I'm not a fan of Lulu, I don't think it's as bad as St. Anger. It's different and the fact they made it with Lou Reed makes it a bit of an oddity and an interesting passion project at the very least. Feels like it's rare to see bands at that level of popularity just making a passion project album with a musician they like. But yeah I listened to it when it came out and haven't felt a strong urge to return.

The best thing about St. Anger is the Some Kind of Monster documentary in my opinion. Seeing the band at their lowest point is quite interesting and I thought it was fun to see the bass player auditions as well, Rob's first hangouts with the band. Also interesting to hear just how all over the place those recording sessions were. There's a moment when Lars brings in his dad to listen and the music sounds like a weird 90s grunge thing and his dad does not approve at all. In the end you get the angriest (no pun intended) album ever made.

This; I've watched that movie more than any actual rock documentary and I will probably watch it again at some point.  I just find it to be very honest and very emotional. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2894 on: June 08, 2023, 11:58:32 AM »
I ripped SA to digital and kept about half of it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2895 on: June 08, 2023, 12:21:32 PM »
I think Dirty Window, Frantic, and Sweet Amber are all solid.  Shoot Me Again is good.  St Anger, Some Kind of Monster, and Unnamed Feeling all have parts I like, but could use some trimming.  The rest not so much...

Invisible Kid is right there with Poor Twisted Me for least favorite Metallica song.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2896 on: June 08, 2023, 12:33:39 PM »
Metallica: Hey Rob, welcome to the band!
Rob: OMG I'm so excited! I can't believe I'm officially a member of Metallica! The band who made Master of Puppets, and the Black Album and stuff!
Metallica: YEAH! Hey....you wanna listen to our new record? The one you had nothing to do with but people will forever associate with you joining the band?
Rob: HELL YEA!

.....one hour later....

Rob:........uhhhhhh
Metallica: Great, so go learn that album. First thing people will see you doing with Metallica is playing it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: June 08, 2023, 12:53:16 PM »
Rob: OMG I'm so excited! I can't believe I'm officially a member of Metallica! The band who made Master of Puppets, and the Black Album and stuff!
Metallica: YEAH! Hey....you wanna listen to our new record? The one you had nothing to do with but people will forever associate with you joining the band?

.....one hour later....

Metallica: Great, so go learn that album. First thing people will see you doing with Metallica is playing it.

HAHAHA.   So true.  Except I disagree. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2898 on: June 08, 2023, 01:02:44 PM »

.....one hour later....

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: June 08, 2023, 01:45:54 PM »

.....one hour later....

:lol but I'm sure once he got his first pay check it washed all that negativity away, but seriously, you've got to do the next part where Rob wouldn't be making any other new music with Metallica for awhile too

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2900 on: June 09, 2023, 05:09:34 AM »
Always thought St Anger the song was badass. 

And now it's had time to grow I also think 72 Seasons is rather bloody good.  A few songs too long but overall some great stuff and probably on par with my appreciation of Hardwired \m/

Offline Volante99

« Reply #2901 on: June 15, 2023, 03:19:27 AM »

That's fair

Yep- followed by Creeping Death.

Creeping Death is the greatest #2 song in a setlist ever. Hit ‘em with something heavy to start and just when they think it’s safe to take a breath knock ‘em out out with Creepin.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #2902 on: June 15, 2023, 04:02:25 AM »
I will say that while I'm not a fan of Lulu, I don't think it's as bad as St. Anger…..

When LuLu came out I thought it was laughably bad. I had this friend I would hang out and chat new music with. We would show each other different albums or bands we found and relax(and usually fill a bong). So I put on LuLu expecting to get a good laugh and a “wtf is this” but instead I got a “yo this is pretty cool.”

Turns out said friend was a massive Lou Reed fan and any word the Reedster spoke was music to his ears - even if those words were spoken nonsensically and out of time over Metallica riffs  :facepalm:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2903 on: June 15, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »
I've seen several videos of James congregating with front row fans for a pre-show cigar.  If they bring one, he lights it for them.  Very cool stuff.

Also, if you care, his new signature cigar, the Blackened M81, is a pretty good smoke.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2904 on: June 15, 2023, 10:12:48 AM »
I've seen several videos of James congregating with front row fans for a pre-show cigar.  If they bring one, he lights it for them.  Very cool stuff.

Also, if you care, his new signature cigar, the Blackened M81, is a pretty good smoke.

I saw somewhere a really great black and white pic of James sitting behind the amps recently just in solitude thinking, head kinda pointed down with the cigar smoke around him.. it was a really great pic, I need to find it id like to get a print of it

I really am enjoyin 72 seasons   im worried im gonna burn out on it as I play it daily if feels like
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"