Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 188149 times)

DoctorAction and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #2065 on: November 28, 2022, 12:27:39 PM »
I'm starting to think that there will not be a single show ticket. These appear to be being sold as a single event. Ticketbastard only has 2 day tickets listed. Something tells me the only option will be a single 2-day ticket. No way I could afford that whatever the price may be.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2066 on: November 28, 2022, 12:30:59 PM »
I'm starting to think that there will not be a single show ticket. These appear to be being sold as a single event. Ticketbastard only has 2 day tickets listed. Something tells me the only option will be a single 2-day ticket. No way I could afford that whatever the price may be.

Two day tickets will go on sale first, and then I think in January or something single day tickets will be on sale.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2067 on: November 28, 2022, 12:48:45 PM »
Curious about the album title. Very unusual actually. 72 Seasons = 18 years. Not sure if there’s any significance to that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2068 on: November 28, 2022, 12:51:30 PM »
Curious about the album title. Very unusual actually. 72 Seasons = 18 years. Not sure if there’s any significance to that.
James talked a bit about it being formative years. I'll see if I can dig up the full quote.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2069 on: November 28, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »
"Is there a special meaning to the title?” you ask. James explains it best: “72 seasons. The first 18 years of our lives that form our true or false selves. The concept that we were told ‘who we are’ by our parents. A possible pigeonholing around what kind of personality we are. I think the most interesting part of this is the continued study of those core beliefs and how it affects our perception of the world today. Much of our adult experience is reenactment or reaction to these childhood experiences. Prisoners of childhood or breaking free of those bondages we carry.”

https://www.metallica.com/news/2022-11-28-new-album-72-seasons.html
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: November 28, 2022, 12:53:54 PM »
Lux AEterna?  WTF is that?  Seems pretentious.

The title means "Eternal Light" and has been used for a lot of music pieces in the past.  The one I am most familiar with is an orchestral piece called "Lux Aeterna" which was used in the movie Requiem for a Dream, and has since appeared in other movies and trailers (most notable being the trailer for LotR: The Two Towers).

There's also a movie by that title, apparently, but I know nothing about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2071 on: November 28, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »
When's the last time there has been a stadium tour where the stage is in the middle of the stadium?  U2's 360 tour?

Which was excellent!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2072 on: November 28, 2022, 01:15:54 PM »
I’m gonna try my hardest to snag a 2-day ticket for Chicago. I’m so excited about the new album- the titles sound so cool, especially the closer ‘Inamorata’. Maybe we’ll get the first 10+ minute epic from them this time? They did say it’s another 77 minute album

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2073 on: November 28, 2022, 01:41:39 PM »
At least when Metallica make an album, it's max effort.  The last studio album under an hour was Master.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2074 on: November 28, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »
I just read this on Metallica's website:  "We told you about our new album 72 Seasons, so what’s next now that we’ve escaped the studio?  Hit the road, of course!  You want a tour, we’ve got a tour... how about two full years worth of shows?!?!"

Two FULL years?  Eight dates over 7+ weeks in Europe, followed by nearly 7 weeks off.  Then 14 shows over more than three months in North America, followed by more than 6 months off.  Ten more European dates over more than 7 weeks, followed by 2 1/2 weeks off.  Then another 14 North American shows jam packed into 7+ weeks.  That's a grand total of 46 shows over 17 months.  Unless there are LOTS of dates still to be announced, that's hardly "two full years worth of shows."

At least when Metallica make an album, it's max effort.  The last studio album under an hour was Master.

The band's website says two-day tickets go on sale this week and single-day tickets will go on sale in January.

The title means "Eternal Light" and has been used for a lot of music pieces in the past.  The one I am most familiar with is an orchestral piece called "Lux Aeterna" which was used in the movie Requiem for a Dream, and has since appeared in other movies and trailers (most notable being the trailer for LotR: The Two Towers).

There's also a movie by that title, apparently, but I know nothing about it.

I know what it means.  The use of Latin is one thing, but throwing the ćsc character into the mix?

I’m gonna try my hardest to snag a 2-day ticket for Chicago. I’m so excited about the new album- the titles sound so cool, especially the closer ‘Inamorata’. Maybe we’ll get the first 10+ minute epic from them this time? They did say it’s another 77 minute album

Pat Benatar cover.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2075 on: November 28, 2022, 02:01:10 PM »
They did say it’s another 77 minute album

That means an average track length of around 6:30
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: November 28, 2022, 02:27:03 PM »
They did say it’s another 77 minute album

That means an average track length of around 6:30

even higher when you subtract the short single out of it from today

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2077 on: November 28, 2022, 02:29:08 PM »
Really like the new song. Definitely has an old school Metallica vibe.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2078 on: November 28, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »

Two day tickets will go on sale first, and then I think in January or something single day tickets will be on sale.

Well, seeing how well they handled Taylor Swift tickets, I'm sure Ticketbastard will still have single day ones left. Let's just say, I'll believe it when I see it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2079 on: November 28, 2022, 02:58:58 PM »
I just read this on Metallica's website:  "We told you about our new album 72 Seasons, so what’s next now that we’ve escaped the studio?  Hit the road, of course!  You want a tour, we’ve got a tour... how about two full years worth of shows?!?!"

Two FULL years?  Eight dates over 7+ weeks in Europe, followed by nearly 7 weeks off.  Then 14 shows over more than three months in North America, followed by more than 6 months off.  Ten more European dates over more than 7 weeks, followed by 2 1/2 weeks off.  Then another 14 North American shows jam packed into 7+ weeks.  That's a grand total of 46 shows over 17 months.  Unless there are LOTS of dates still to be announced, that's hardly "two full years worth of shows."

Which I would damn well hope there is, given nothing Asian or Australian on a world tour
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2080 on: November 28, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »
I like the idea of what James is talking about. Sounds like Metallica has put together a bit of a conceptual album. Or at least something based on a general theme.

I'd be open to checking it out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2081 on: November 28, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »
Holy hell, that’s actually the entire tour itinerary for the next two years. M72 is severely lacking and I kinda don’t want to bother with the album now?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2082 on: November 28, 2022, 03:35:51 PM »
Do people understand that these guys are old and don't have as much desire to go out on the road like they used to?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2083 on: November 28, 2022, 03:40:36 PM »
Do people understand that these guys are old and don't have as much desire to go out on the road like they used to?

This, and also I feel the same when I see people complain "they don't sound as fast or energetic anymore". Like if you want that same 'punched in the face' energy and pace of their classic albums, you don't turn to the 60 year olds in Metallica to bring it out again, you turn to a newer band with guys in their 20s/30s making that music now. :P

I'm hyped for a new album and I'm gonna try to score tickets to both their shows if I can. Haven't seen them live before and this seems like a great opportunity to get plenty of songs.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2084 on: November 28, 2022, 03:43:57 PM »
It's not even just about desire. They might have the desire to play more shows, but at their age it may just be too much,who can blame them.

At this point I'm just happy they are still touring at all. I've not seen them live since 2008, and I really feel I need to next year as ot may be my last chance.

I hope when they call it a day on Metallica, James releases a country album, I think it'd be dope.

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2085 on: November 28, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
Metallica's live shows have suffered as James has gotten older. He simply can't sing like he used to, and they play slower. Which is no big deal to me, but it should have signaled to many that the writing was on the wall.

To be honest, I expected this. I saw Metallica once, on the Death Magnetic tour. I was very disappointed, but glad I went, considering how much I love the And Justice for All album and had been a fan since then. My hope is, this new record is way better than the advance single, and that perhaps they've done something adventurous like a concept or theme.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2086 on: November 28, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
Really cool this new song! Musically, it's a much better tribute to Lemmy than Murder One.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2087 on: November 28, 2022, 04:43:18 PM »
Is it supposed to be a tribute to Lemmy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2088 on: November 28, 2022, 04:55:37 PM »
Is it supposed to be a tribute to Lemmy?

No, I don't think so. It's just that the new song is a really cool song that reminds me a lot of Motorhead. And Murder One, that is the actual tribute, is a bit boring song IMO.
Also I think the cover of the album is really refreshing. My only complaint is that they didn't make the name Metallica stylized like the letter M at the cover.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2089 on: November 28, 2022, 06:27:28 PM »
Strange that the tour is hitting Edmonton, then Seattle 5 days later, and skipping right over Vancouver. I’m not bothered though, as I have seen Metallica live plenty of times.

The new song has a real New Wave on British Heavy Metal feel, but I can't say that it excites me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2090 on: November 28, 2022, 07:29:20 PM »
I didn't have high expectations for this, but wow that production is bad.  The bass drums sound like they were recorded by a band with no budget. And I hate that modern metal production where the music sounds colorless, which is what this is to a 't.' 

Oh well, I saw them once in the late 90s and that was enough for me.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2091 on: November 28, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »
According to the FAQ section of their website for this tour, this is it.  Here's a direct quote... "There are no plans to add additional headlining shows to the schedule for the next two years; the band may make very limited appearances at special events."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2092 on: November 29, 2022, 01:56:45 AM »
I have to say that the new song was fun and catchy imo!

And I really like the album title and the concept! I'm looking forward to this. I'm surprised that Metallica had the energy to put out another album. Two of my best friends are huge Metallica nerds, and I know that they are over the moon with this!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2093 on: November 29, 2022, 03:16:26 AM »
I'm not much of a fan anymore. Load was the last one I really dug but ....

That was really fun! Sounds like a track from Garage Days, and that tends to be what I reach for if I want some 'Tallica. If the album is similar I'll probably enjoy it.

The drums are still too loud, like Hardwired, and I'd dig more crust on it, but overall impression exceeded expectations.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2094 on: November 29, 2022, 08:08:30 AM »
I do think this two year tour is a bit lacking in terms of dates and cities.  I'm fortunate it's coming to me (and historically, they hardly ever play in NJ so maybe that's why?).  But I can't blame the band who's so damn big that they can dictate the terms of touring to be limited to 2 weekend nights in the same city per week.  That's quite amazing actually.  I expect a lot of people to travel for these shows. You can make it a long weekend in a city and see close to 4 hours of Metallica plus 4 other bands.  While I have no interest in seeing 5 Finger, you still have to admit, they pulled out some well known bands to open.  It's a well thought out plan that only a band like Metallica could do. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2095 on: November 29, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »
I do think this two year tour is a bit lacking in terms of dates and cities.  I'm fortunate it's coming to me (and historically, they hardly ever play in NJ so maybe that's why?).  But I can't blame the band who's so damn big that they can dictate the terms of touring to be limited to 2 weekend nights in the same city per week.  That's quite amazing actually.  I expect a lot of people to travel for these shows. You can make it a long weekend in a city and see close to 4 hours of Metallica plus 4 other bands.  While I have no interest in seeing 5 Finger, you still have to admit, they pulled out some well known bands to open.  It's a well thought out plan that only a band like Metallica could do.

I agree with this - we're going to wait for one day tickets to go on sale and then try to get tickets for the first night at Soldier Field in Chicago.  With two young kids, we can't do 2 shows in a weekend.  But we can definitely handle one night out and my wife has decided that she wants to go see them and check them off the list.  I haven't seen them since 2000, so it will be fun to see them again and catch the Pantera reunion/tribute.

Metallica has been pretty open about how they tour - a week or two on, then some time off at home, then another week or two on.  With Hardwired, they were very open about how it was better to play one giant stadium show vs. two smaller indoor arena shows in a city. 

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2096 on: November 29, 2022, 08:18:52 AM »
Also in the current state of the world, committing to more shows could include financial risks they're not willing to take at this time. Logistical costs of touring in Europe from the US have tripled during the last year! The band themselves are well off but they also employ a lot of touring staff.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2097 on: November 29, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
Even as someone who isn't that big on Death Magnetic or Hardwired (though the latter I have only listened to a few times) I don't think this new single sounds amazing or anything but it sounds perfectly fine for what I expect. If you put things into perspective, this will only be Metallica's 11th album in a 40 year long career and it's crazy to think that Rob has been in the band for 20 years now and this is only the third studio album he's a part of. They made as many albums with Cliff in 3 years as they have with Rob in 20 which is kinda funny to me.

The song does have some Kill Em All vibes, and while it does sound a bit 'like expected', I feel like maybe it was just a safe choice for a single. There could be more interesting songs on the album, at least I hope so, but it also makes sense to just release something short and to the point. Especially considering how kinda 'bloated' their songs have been on the last 2 albums. It also feels like a new Metallica album is just a reason to go out on tour again, play the songs people want to hear but also add some new songs in the mix to keep it interesting for them as well. It must get pretty boring playing the same songs for all these years so I'm sure having a few new ones makes a difference.

There's plenty of other bands who have been around for decades who churn out albums that aren't as good as the classics but they're still 'doing their thing' and pleasing fans whether it's DT, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple or so on, I don't see why Metallica should get any flack for it. I remember a huge gripe I had with the band was that they weren't prolific enough. I had to wait years for Death Magnetic and then Hardwired was basically another decade after that. Even if this ends up being a 3/5 album or something, it's nice to get something.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2098 on: November 29, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
I am happy James can still sing and play guitar at all considering the unmitigated energy and ferocity he put into his performances for decades. In the mid-80s it was like he was from another planet.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2099 on: November 29, 2022, 12:58:12 PM »

That's fine.  I don't care how many shows they schedule.  However, if they're going to schedule only 46 shows over 17 months but call it "two full years worth of shows," then I'm going to call them out for spouting unmitigated bullshit.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung