Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 180049 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #2205 on: December 17, 2022, 01:15:10 AM »
Of course it's all about tastes, and I think you're making a lot more of the fact that the people in that room on that day got into that performance than is warranted.  You also seem to be ascribing special importance to those specific people -- none of whom I've ever heard of -- being into it.

Again, I get that a LOT of people like the song a LOT more than I do.  It's a matter of taste.  We see it differently, and that's ok.

Well, to be clear, no special importance to THEM specifically, just that they are diverse.  I know for me, more than many here, I love the way music CONNECTS. One of the things I love about Taylor Swift is that she writes songs that people of all ages and genders can get into. That's not something that can be dismissed with argumentum ad populum.  There's a specific talent there that not many people ever have, no matter how well they can play their instrument.

That's all incredibly fair.  This song connected with lots of people.  It was on their most commercially successful album and one of the most successful albums of all time.  I don't think Metallica sold out.  I really don't.  But they did exactly what they should have done had that been their intent and, to me, it was a huge regression.

I agree with this. The Black album is remarkable. It's incredible to me that Metallica got that widespread success at that point. And well deserved. There's not another record like it with that approach and poise.

I don't like it at all anymore, though. I like Load a lot more. And Garage even more than that.

For my taste, Metallica have been giant underachievers after AJFA. Hugely frustrating, given their potential and impact on the scene.

They're not quite alone in this. I felt latter day Slayer was similar with Divine Intervention their last great album. And that annoyed me even more.

Funny, isn't it? I wouldn't have predicted it as a teenager in the late 80s.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2207 on: December 17, 2022, 05:57:22 AM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2022/microsoft-theater-los-angeles-ca-33bc8cd5.html
@TAC did you see the acoustic set? :coolio

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Just checked Setlist FM..

I'm on this!!

It's Killing Me certainly isn't top of mind when it comes to UFO covers, but that's what makes it interesting.
Same with Borderline, which is sneaky one of Thin Lizzy's best songs ever.

I'll definitely get that as soon as the recording pops up on Live Metallica.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2208 on: December 17, 2022, 06:08:55 AM »
I always love when bands pick-up less obvious covers. And even more, if it's a UFO's cover, something from Chapman's era. :heart
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2209 on: December 17, 2022, 06:10:01 AM »
Totally agree. The Chapman Era is way overlooked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: December 17, 2022, 08:31:24 AM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2022/microsoft-theater-los-angeles-ca-33bc8cd5.html

Was thinking about TAC during this last night.

Thought it was hilarious how Lars messed up the intro to Lux Aeterna the first time playing it live  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2211 on: December 17, 2022, 08:33:42 AM »

Thought it was hilarious how Lars messed up the intro to Lux Aeterna the first time playing it live  :lol

Thank you. That actually means a lot, especially today. Trust me on that one.

Marc, I literally just watched one of your videos.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: December 17, 2022, 08:39:44 AM »

Thank you. That actually means a lot, especially today. Trust me on that one.

Marc, I literally just watched one of your videos.

I'm bummed I didn't get a full acoustic song, just too many people trying to find their seats around me during that set, but I got lots of clips.  I'll be trying to get my full video out today from my hotel because the videos I put up are getting a lot of views.  I'm surprised the live stream isn't available, figured you'd be able to watch the youtube stream again.  I guess they will put it up for sale.

And here's Metallica - Lux Aeterna LIVE (debut) @ SOLD OUT Microsoft Theater Los Angeles CA 12/16/2022

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: December 17, 2022, 03:06:26 PM »
Marc, you made it to Bravewords!!!

https://bravewords.com/news/metallica-perform-lux-aeterna-live-for-the-first-time-fan-filmed-video-streaming

Bravewords, blabbermouth, and loudwire as far as I can tell.  My full video is taking forever to upload on this slow hotel internet, but I think it video came out really well and I captured a lot of music.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2216 on: December 17, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »
I can't believe it hasn't been taken down, honestly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: December 17, 2022, 04:24:05 PM »

Why would it?  Metallica isn't known for taking down, unless it was the actual stream.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2219 on: December 17, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »

Why would it?  Metallica isn't known for taking down, unless it was the actual stream.

Oh OK. I think I just assumed they had all fan filmed footage taken down.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2220 on: December 17, 2022, 04:41:26 PM »
Marc, you made it to Bravewords!!!

https://bravewords.com/news/metallica-perform-lux-aeterna-live-for-the-first-time-fan-filmed-video-streaming

Bravewords, blabbermouth, and loudwire as far as I can tell.  My full video is taking forever to upload on this slow hotel internet, but I think it video came out really well and I captured a lot of music.  :metal

Congrats!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: December 18, 2022, 02:59:11 AM »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2222 on: December 18, 2022, 05:55:11 AM »
It's Killing Me!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3Q9D63ZBU

:hefdaddy

Makes you appreciate how sneaky great Phil Mogg was, especially on this chorus.

For those not familiar with the original..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbMBe9S2Dms

Originally on their 1981 album The Wild The Willing And The Innocent

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: December 18, 2022, 06:11:11 AM »
I appreciate that they wanted to share the song with their fans. I really do, but they didn't do it justice...they just didn't capture the dynamics, the swagger, and tension of UFO. Honestly, if I didn't have a nostalgic history with the original, I probably would have watched Metallica and thought, WTFITS?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 06:25:51 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2224 on: December 18, 2022, 06:14:06 AM »
That's fair. Even Metallica's most ardent fans couldn't name a single UFO track. I enjoyed it, but damn, slow down Lars, and James just proved how sneaky tough that chorus and bridge were.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2225 on: December 18, 2022, 07:46:43 AM »
Great to see them covering Thin Lizzy. Borderline always occurred to me as a song just waiting to be covered by Alice In Chains. But still, Metallica can probably pull it off.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2226 on: December 18, 2022, 08:13:55 AM »
Great to see them covering Thin Lizzy. Borderline always occurred to me as a song just waiting to be covered by Alice In Chains. But still, Metallica can probably pull it off.  :biggrin:

UFO actually covered River Of Deceit and did a pretty good job with it.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2227 on: December 19, 2022, 09:24:22 AM »
New song sounded damn good live and I think Lars did a fine job.

Online Volante99

« Reply #2228 on: December 24, 2022, 02:59:52 AM »
Got a 2-night pass in the Snake Pit (!) for their 2024 tour at the Vikings Stadium.

Dropped a stupid amount of money but…I’ve never seen Metallica and, pound for pound, they’ve been my favorite band since friggen Junior High. Also, let’s face it, considering their (and MY) age, I figure this is probably going to be my last-ish chance to see them. The thought of seeing them twice with no repeat songs was also just too much to pass up. YOLO!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2229 on: December 24, 2022, 07:10:48 AM »
Got a 2-night pass in the Snake Pit (!) for their 2024 tour at the Vikings Stadium.

Dropped a stupid amount of money but…I’ve never seen Metallica and, pound for pound, they’ve been my favorite band since friggen Junior High. Also, let’s face it, considering their (and MY) age, I figure this is probably going to be my last-ish chance to see them. The thought of seeing them twice with no repeat songs was also just too much to pass up. YOLO!
Wow!  Good for you!  From everything I've heard about the Snake Pit, you should be in for an amazing time.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous.  It's just a shame you now have to wait like 20 months for the shows.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: December 30, 2022, 06:47:21 AM »
Pretty damn good, James sounds killer here.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: December 31, 2022, 04:56:10 AM »
I appreciate that they wanted to share the song with their fans. I really do, but they didn't do it justice...they just didn't capture the dynamics, the swagger, and tension of UFO. Honestly, if I didn't have a nostalgic history with the original, I probably would have watched Metallica and thought, WTFITS?

I thought they did a really admirable job of it actually.  I do know what you mean about the atmosphere, but that was always going to be impossible to replicate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2233 on: December 31, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »

I thought they did a really admirable job of it actually.  I do know what you mean about the atmosphere, but that was always going to be impossible to replicate.

I thought the officially released pro shot version was excellent. It translated much better than the phone bootleg version that was posted first.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: January 02, 2023, 05:29:05 AM »
Really? I thought Trujillo making his jokey metal poses, over what should have been a laid back, slightly melancholy bass line, and James's banter showed that they were just going through the motions. Humoring Lars, or some such. Whatever. The original is way, way, better than this performance, and Metallica is way, way better than this performance. See also their cover of Thin Lizzy's Borderline.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: January 19, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »
NEW SONG ⚠️ NEW VIDEO ⚠️ SCREAMING SUICIDE

“Listen well, better listen well…”

Watch the Video! https://metallica.lnk.to/ScreamingSuicide

Video Directed by Tim Saccenti

Online The Realm

« Reply #2236 on: January 19, 2023, 05:16:48 PM »
Gave the new song one listen. Now back to Katatonia new album.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2237 on: January 19, 2023, 05:29:20 PM »
It was good. Not great, but good.

And, like the last song, this ALSO sounds like a classic NWBHM song that Metallica is covering.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: January 19, 2023, 05:32:47 PM »
I found Kirk's playing pretty groovy and fun in this one, but the song as a whole didn't instantly connect on first listen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2239 on: January 19, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »
Yawn...

Also, James's 1940s newscaster microphone bothers me WAY more than it should.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung