Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179375 times)

Offline billboy73

Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #1995 on: September 28, 2022, 07:41:40 AM »
It would be cool if they played some of the covers from the early days, that were dropped as well.  Stuff like Sucking My Love.  Maybe James will suck it up and play Escape for a 2nd time.  :laugh:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1996 on: September 28, 2022, 07:43:12 AM »
I'd also love the full version of Four Horsemen and Battery.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1997 on: September 28, 2022, 08:56:00 AM »

I think Battery would be out for this one, being from Master, but in general I agree. I miss the full versions of the old songs.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1998 on: September 28, 2022, 09:11:52 AM »

I think Battery would be out for this one, being from Master, but in general I agree. I miss the full versions of the old songs.

Good point!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1999 on: September 28, 2022, 11:21:50 AM »
I would think that, if they're only pulling from KEA and RTL, they'd do both albums in their entirety, but who knows.  Maybe some Am I Evil? as well.

Seems like a strange place to do it.  You'd think they'd do it in the SF Bay area or in NYC.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2000 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »
I would think that, if they're only pulling from KEA and RTL, they'd do both albums in their entirety, but who knows.  Maybe some Am I Evil? as well.

Seems like a strange place to do it.  You'd think they'd do it in the SF Bay area or in NYC.

I hope they play both of them and release them on their bootlegs collection. Would be nice to hear a modern version of those albums.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2001 on: September 28, 2022, 12:43:13 PM »

Kill'em All is 51 minutes long, and Ride the Lightning is 47 minutes long. That makes 98 minutes. Add at the very least from 10 to 15 minutes (if not 20) to account for pauses and speeches, along with extended endings, and you have more or less a 2 hours show. Seems doable.

I'd reckon both albums might be one or two songs shorter (say, no Escape and no Anetthesia), and definitively Am I Evil might appear.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2002 on: September 28, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
Those are gonna sound weird drop tuned with a deep voice.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2003 on: September 28, 2022, 05:51:37 PM »
^^ I mean they already played Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning in full at the Orion festival back in 2012 and 2013.  I don't expect much of a difference with them playing it in full now, although maybe, just a tad slower due to age.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2004 on: September 29, 2022, 07:42:19 AM »
^^ I mean they already played Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning in full at the Orion festival back in 2012 and 2013.  I don't expect much of a difference with them playing it in full now, although maybe, just a tad slower due to age.

I was surprised how well James can still give those songs justice. Considering he was 19 at the time Kill 'Em All was released.

This record store day performance of those early songs they did in 2016 was so good! They can definitely still bring it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EO6gIygALw

This was the setlist for that performance. Willing to bet the Zazula shows will be an extended version of this

#---Setlist---#
Helpless
Hit The Lights
The Four Horsemen   
Ride The Lightning 
Fade To Black
Jump In The Fire
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Creeping Death
Metal Militia       
       Solo:
Kirk Doodle I 
Kirk Solo I   
       Other:
Dirty Window

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #2005 on: September 29, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
Was with you until Dirty Window. Like the song plenty, but not at this gig.

Seek will definitely be added back in. And then what, Motorbreath? I have no idea how to improve that with the remaining songs from KEA/RtL. Gimme Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil? in full and I’ll be happy.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #2006 on: September 29, 2022, 04:01:15 PM »

Seek will definitely be added back in. And then what, Motorbreath? I have no idea how to improve that with the remaining songs from KEA/RtL. Gimme Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil? in full and I’ll be happy.

Yeah, not sure why they played that at that gig - although it looks like they just jammed on it for a minute.

I'll definitely take Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil. Honestly though, I could do without hearing Seek every again. But it most likely will make the set.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #2007 on: September 29, 2022, 04:39:41 PM »

Yeah, not sure why they played that at that gig - although it looks like they just jammed on it for a minute.

Yeah, they didn’t actually play it at all. Lars played a little bit of the opening pattern, the other 3 didn’t even engage. Can probably bump that off and move the “doodle” to before Fade and the solo to before Creeping Death. Or remove em entirely.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: November 08, 2022, 02:23:23 AM »
Metallica announce special concert only with songs off first two albums

And this was the setlist.

Creeping Death
Ride The Lightning
Motorbreath
No Remorse
Trapped Under Ice
The Call Of Ktulu
Phantom Lord
Am I Evil
Metal Militia
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Whiplash
Fade To Black
Seek & Destroy

Encore:

Fight Fire With Fire
Bliztkrieg
Hit The Lights
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2009 on: November 08, 2022, 07:47:30 AM »
^ Sweet set list!!  :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #2010 on: November 08, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »
I read that for some upcoming show (maybe Download?) they're doing two nights with no repeat songs between them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2011 on: November 08, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »
I would love for Metallica to do full album performances at some point. I mean, at this stage, no matter what album, their shows would sell out. I'm just not really interested in anything after ...And Justice for All. But if they did the whole evening with thing, and did say Puppets/Justice, or Lightning/Puppets, Kill Em All/Justice, etc., I'd pay whatever the cost.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2012 on: November 08, 2022, 10:50:55 AM »
I would love for Metallica to do full album performances at some point. I mean, at this stage, no matter what album, their shows would sell out. I'm just not really interested in anything after ...And Justice for All. But if they did the whole evening with thing, and did say Puppets/Justice, or Lightning/Puppets, Kill Em All/Justice, etc., I'd pay whatever the cost.

I don't know that I'd go that far, but this sums up my interest to a T.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2013 on: November 08, 2022, 11:08:45 AM »
They already did Puppets and the Black Album on European tours.  Ride the Lightning was done once at an Orion festival, and I suspect it will never happen again with James' dislike of Escape. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #2014 on: November 08, 2022, 12:36:21 PM »
Isn’t most of the set list black album and prior to the point of barely recognizing the last 4 albums?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2015 on: November 08, 2022, 12:44:42 PM »
Isn’t most of the set list black album and prior to the point of barely recognizing the last 4 albums?

Usually, yes.  Here's a general breakdown of their 2022 summer festival set:

4  Metallica   
3  Ride the Lightning
2  Kill ’Em All
2  Master of Puppets
1  …And Justice for All
1  Death Magnetic
1  Hardwired… to Self‐Destruct
1  St. Anger
1  Covers   

On the Hardwired tour, they played 7 songs from that record, and the breakdown of the rest was 3 from TBA, 2 from Justice, 2 from MOP, and 1 each from KEA, Reload and Ride.  So heavy from the new album, but still a similar breakdown of older album representation.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2016 on: November 08, 2022, 12:45:43 PM »

As Grapp said, pretty much yeah. But I love full album performances. Gives me a chance to see deeper cuts that aren't played.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: November 08, 2022, 01:56:58 PM »
I recently booked a 10 day work trip to LA in December and I should have the weekend off so was looking if there were any concerts.... Metallica are playing in LA! Too bad it's sold out and the cheapest ticket is $450 before fees on stubhub  :censored  I'll keep my eyes out, I would really love to attend that.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2018 on: November 08, 2022, 02:05:54 PM »

Usually, yes.  Here's a general breakdown of their 2022 summer festival set:

4  Metallica   
3  Ride the Lightning
2  Kill ’Em All
2  Master of Puppets
1  …And Justice for All
1  Death Magnetic
1  Hardwired… to Self‐Destruct
1  St. Anger
1  Covers   

On the Hardwired tour, they played 7 songs from that record, and the breakdown of the rest was 3 from TBA, 2 from Justice, 2 from MOP, and 1 each from KEA, Reload and Ride.  So heavy from the new album, but still a similar breakdown of older album representation.
For the last 2 albums, when they toured them, the setlist is heavy on the new album.  For Death Magnetic, they played like 6 songs live on that tour.  But, typically, when they're doing the summer circuit or not necessarily touring a particular album, it's more of a "greatest hits" set.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2019 on: November 08, 2022, 02:24:20 PM »
I recently booked a 10 day work trip to LA in December and I should have the weekend off so was looking if there were any concerts.... Metallica are playing in LA! Too bad it's sold out and the cheapest ticket is $450 before fees on stubhub  :censored  I'll keep my eyes out, I would really love to attend that.

I'm looking at a list of concerts around that period in the area.  I see Stevie Wonder playing in the same venue the next day.  Don't know if that's something you are interested, but that could be an option.  If you are still around on 12/22, Jinjer and P.O.D. is playing at the Wiltern.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: November 08, 2022, 02:35:46 PM »

I'm looking at a list of concerts around that period in the area.  I see Stevie Wonder playing in the same venue the next day.  Don't know if that's something you are interested, but that could be an option.  If you are still around on 12/22, Jinjer and P.O.D. is playing at the Wiltern.

Oh I may be interested in Stevie Wonder.... but I fly back home on the 22nd though

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2021 on: November 08, 2022, 03:32:55 PM »

Oh I may be interested in Stevie Wonder.... but I fly back home on the 22nd though

WASP and Armored Saint on Dec. 11 at the Wiltern.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: November 08, 2022, 04:28:39 PM »

WASP and Armored Saint on Dec. 11 at the Wiltern.

I fly in on the 12th  :lol 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: November 28, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »
New Metallica, folks!

72 Seasons. Released in April.

New song, Lux Aeterna, available now.

77 minutes of music, tracklist:

72 Seasons
Shadows Follow
Screaming Suicide
Sleepwalk My Life Away
You Must Burn!
Lux Ćterna
Crown of Barbed Wire
Chasing Light
If Darkness Had a Son
Too Far Gone?
Room of Mirrors
Inamorata
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Adami

« Reply #2025 on: November 28, 2022, 08:30:36 AM »
Saw they released a new video out of nowhere. Really dug it!

Will likely do whatever I can to see the two NJ shows in 2023.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2026 on: November 28, 2022, 08:33:02 AM »
Also massive tour announcement:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-announces-massive-m72-world-tour-for-2023-2024

Can't believe they're skipping their hometown.

Also, Pantera opening is fucking huge

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: November 28, 2022, 08:36:18 AM »
If you told me they recorded Lux Aeterna as a cover during the Garage Inc sessions, I'd believe you. It doesn't sound like a Metallica original. It sounds like a cover they've made their own. And I really fucking like it :metal
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2028 on: November 28, 2022, 08:43:48 AM »
I'll see what I can do to get the ticket for the 2nd Inglewood show at a price I like.  Interesting that they are going with an interesting concept of having two separate groups of openers.  Show 1 in the NA tour has Pantera and Mammoth WVH, and show 2 has Five Finger Death Punch and Ice Nine Kills.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2029 on: November 28, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
Wow! They channeled Motorhead on that one. Double Bass-ahh. Nice rocker!

Wasn't expecting this at all. Seems like they just keep getting better or at least more in line with my tastes.