Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489735 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2870 on: January 11, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »
Jesus christ I have never had such a love/hate relationship with a game as much as I do Watch Dogs 2. The first was at least just all around shitty. Just fucking horrible after the first five minutes. This one...this one makes you think they refined the game and fixed the issues plaguing the first and then you get into the stealth and heavy combat portions of the game and it's like "NOPE, YOU WANNA STEALTH? FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, YOU'RE LOUD AND ARE CLEARLY A GIANT. YOU WANNA SHOOT? NOPE FUCK YOU AGAIN, YOU'RE USING SILLY BULLETS AND YOUR FINGERS ARE SPAGHETTI".

I hate this game.

But I will undoubtedly play it again tomorrow. I'm just wondering if it'll ever end and I'll either say fuck it or I'll actually beat the game.

The hacking part of the game is great, but good lord...the physics (which plague most of Ubi's open-world games) and the interaction between Player and NPC is just downright sickening. I feel like as they were making it they just straight up said "Okay fuck this shit, the game is about hacking" and then forgot that they had mandatory parts of the game where you have to fight people and try to sneak past them.

On the other hand, I encountered a glitch where my little drone was never out of range so I really fucked some shit up and got a whole lot of upgrades from that. Good job and also fuck you, Ubisoft.  :tup ???
Why did you even get the game if the first one was so terrible? ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2871 on: January 11, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »
Masochism, perhaps?  :biggrin:

Has anyone else been watching AGDQ 2017? Nowadays, I spend more time watching speedruns of games than I do playing them. Both Metroid runs and all 4 Mario races from yesterday were particularly great.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2872 on: January 12, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »
I am trying to decide between Skyrim and Witcher 3 for my next game. I think that I'm leaning towards Witcher 3 right now for a few reasons:

- I've heard combat is better in Witcher

- I've heard character development is better in Witcher

- I've heard Witcher isn't quite as long

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am planning on going to Best Buy tonight!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2873 on: January 12, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »
I am trying to decide between Skyrim and Witcher 3 for my next game. I think that I'm leaning towards Witcher 3 right now for a few reasons:

- I've heard combat is better in Witcher

- I've heard character development is better in Witcher

- I've heard Witcher isn't quite as long

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am planning on going to Best Buy tonight!

I can't speak to Witcher, but with the recent release of the Skyrim remaster, I have nothing but praise.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: January 12, 2017, 06:59:55 AM »
I've played Skyrim and I've played some of Witcher (I just started a new game since my save game was lost) and I would go with Skyrim. I love the witcher but Skyrim hit me on another level. Maybe it's because I'm looking at it through rose colored glasses but it was just a blast to play.

Who knows I may love witcher more when I finish it (it's the longer game of the two)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2875 on: January 12, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »
Never played Witcher, but honestly I've spent over 130 hours in Skyrim over the past month over 4 builds, this newest one is probably going to be my last build for a while since I really like how it plays and I want to actually beat the main story for the first time. Starting new games is always fun though, especially if you've got something specific in mind to use.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2876 on: January 12, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Solid presentation and very good launch lineup for the Switch. I'm not hyped, but I hope this console does well. I'll keep waiting for a new Metroid  :D *internal screeching*

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2877 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:37 PM »
It's actually going to be the first console I buy at launch since the N64. :lol Because Zelda.

The lack of Metroid is however unsettling, hopefully they get something going on that front soon.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2878 on: January 13, 2017, 04:09:07 AM »
I wish Nintendo would stop relying on gimmicks. My need to play games on the go is -10/100. They don't need a gimmick. All they need to do is build a box that can play Super Smash and a full blown version of GTA.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2879 on: January 13, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
I wish Nintendo would stop relying on gimmicks. My need to play games on the go is -10/100. They don't need a gimmick. All they need to do is build a box that can play Super Smash and a full blown version of GTA.

On that last point: no, they do not. I can't speak for anyone else, but I buy Nintendo consoles solely for their first party titles. When I want to play GTA, I will play it on either another console or PC. I can't find my Metroid, Mario, Pokemon, and Smash, among others, anywhere else, and as long as this continues to be the case, I will gladly buy Nintendo's new systems.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2880 on: January 13, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »

On that last point: no, they do not. I can't speak for anyone else, but I buy Nintendo consoles solely for their first party titles. When I want to play GTA, I will play it on either another console or PC. I can't find my Metroid, Mario, Pokemon, and Smash, among others, anywhere else, and as long as this continues to be the case, I will gladly buy Nintendo's new systems.

But wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to, you know, buy another console to play GTA? I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I don't buy a Nintendo is because the three franchises they have that I'd like to play aren't enough for me to justify buying another console.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2881 on: January 13, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »

But wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to, you know, buy another console to play GTA? I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I don't buy a Nintendo is because the three franchises they have that I'd like to play aren't enough for me to justify buying another console.

If your decision whether to buy a Nintendo is based on them not having a franchise they've never had at any point, rather than all of their own popular franchises that have always been their drawcard being enough, then you're not really within their target audience. You can play GTA on every other major platform, including PC. The concessions that would need to be made to the design of the console to cater to that market would be counterproductive to setting themselves apart and appealing to that different audience.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2882 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:31 AM »
I feel like Nintendo has found a niche group of gamers who, like Randaran, will buy the console for their exclusive games.  I don't think Nintendo going head to head with Sony and Microsoft is going to end well for them.  If they can continue to sell a cheaper console and hit that niche group, then that's what they'll do IMO.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2883 on: January 13, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »

If your decision whether to buy a Nintendo is based on them not having a franchise they've never had at any point, rather than all of their own popular franchises that have always been their drawcard being enough, then you're not really within their target audience. You can play GTA on every other major platform, including PC. The concessions that would need to be made to the design of the console to cater to that market would be counterproductive to setting themselves apart and appealing to that different audience.

I used GTA as an example as it is my favorite game. Nintendo builds consoles basically just for their titles, and I think that's stupid. There's no way that a Nintendo console with the ability to handle GTA, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, Madden, and dozens of other AAA titles that are currently unplayable on their platform wouldn't attract more customers than it'd lose. I'd bail on Sony after 15 years of loyalty without a second thought.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:35:42 AM by Chino »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2884 on: January 13, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
I used GTA as an example as it is my favorite game. Nintendo builds consoles basically just for their titles, and I think that's stupid. There's no way that a Nintendo console with the ability to handle GTA, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, Madden, and dozens of other AAA titles that are currently unplayable on their platform wouldn't attract more customers than it'd lose. I'd bail on Sony after 15 years of loyalty without a second thought.

The point is, to build a console comparable to the power/features/controls of the other consoles to compete with them like that, would negate many of their selling points that appeal to the opposing market, most notably cost, and also simplicity.

Just compare the debut price of the Switch to the other consoles that are based around much older (even though more powerful) hardware at this point. A lot of the casual fans who want to play the Mario Karts and such don't necessarily want to invest in a more expensive console like that, or even play those types of games, and Nintendo know it. They could make a console that would play GTA 6, but at the expense of a notable section of their core demographic that has never had or wanted those games on a Nintendo to begin with. It doesn't make a lot of business sense to become more like their competitors regardless of their exclusive titles. The Nintendo Wii sold 100 million units, despite basically being a Gamecube with a remote, and it had nothing in the way of decent third-party games.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2885 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »

The point is, to build a console comparable to the power/features/controls of the other consoles to compete with them like that, would negate many of their selling points that appeal to the opposing market, most notably cost, and also simplicity.

Just compare the debut price of the Switch to the other consoles that are based around much older (even though more powerful) hardware at this point. A lot of the casual fans who want to play the Mario Karts and such don't necessarily want to invest in a more expensive console like that, or even play those types of games, and Nintendo know it. They could make a console that would play GTA 6, but at the expense of a notable section of their core demographic that has never had or wanted those games on a Nintendo to begin with. It doesn't make a lot of business sense to become more like their competitors regardless of their exclusive titles. The Nintendo Wii sold 100 million units, despite basically being a Gamecube with a remote, and it had nothing in the way of decent third-party games.

I understand what you're saying completely, but the Wii was a once in a company's lifetime fluke. I feel like the success of the Wii has distorted people's perception of what's possible while not staying somewhat in line with the herd. The Wii-U just barely cracked 13 million units, and that is 100% attributed to the lack of third party support. Hell, it sold less in games than the Wii did in units. N64 killed it with its combination of Nintendo's franchise games and the ability to play cross platform third party titles like Tony Hawk and NFL Blitz. I get why Nintendo does this, but I don't think it's sustainable.

I am very willing to wager that this will be a flop. It's going to be a pain in the ass for devs, and the main selling point of being able to play on the go is going to fall flat. This won't leave 99% of people's living rooms. Wasted resources and focus.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:43:35 AM by Chino »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: January 13, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
If you want to bring up the Nintendo 64, the 13 best selling games on the console were all Nintendo/Rare. Only 3 of the top 20 games weren't. Even beyond that, the majority were first party titles. I never considered the 64 a console for third party games. The console was also not great to work with for devs, and Nintendo were not forthcoming to them on how to utilize its power at a low level, so it was restrictive.

The Switch on the other hand won't be a pain for third party developers at all. It's probably the easiest Nintendo to develop for since the NES I'd say. It has a fairly stock Tegra ARM processor (CPU and GPU) like in standard tablets, uses standard graphics APIs, supports the Unreal engine and Unity engines, and has comparable power to a high end tablet. It's not an Android based device, but should be relatively comfortable to work with and port games to.
This is a huge step up from the Wii U, which had more obscure custom hardware, and was not popular with consumers due to not differentiating itself enough from the Wii to justify its higher price and causing customer confusion. I doubt third party support would have made enough difference to save it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:46 AM »
I have a GameCube and it pisses me off that Zelda Twilight Princess is dirt cheap for Wii but stupid money for GC.

I'm not buying a Wii just so i can play one game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
I spent a decent wad of cash to get my copy of TTP for our Gamecube, and I got it relatively very cheap at the time. Luckily I enjoyed the game. :lol
The Wii version sold a lot more copies than the GC version, due to the Wii being much more popular, so the GC version prices reflect the relative rarity of it. I'd also argue it's the superior version of the game.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: January 13, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Yes and it's easily my favourite LOZ game. It combines the very best parts of Ocarina, Windwaker and Majora.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: January 13, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
Second favourite for me, but far above my third choice. Still gotta go with the cliche answer of OoT as my favourite. TTP is excellent, but I didn't feel all of the items were as well integrated into the game after their respective dungeons, and the music wasn't as strong imo. Great atmosphere and gameplay though.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2891 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
If you want to bring up the Nintendo 64, the 13 best selling games on the console were all Nintendo/Rare. Only 3 of the top 20 games weren't. Even beyond that, the majority were first party titles. I never considered the 64 a console for third party games. The console was also not great to work with for devs, and Nintendo were not forthcoming to them on how to utilize its power at a low level, so it was restrictive.

This is where we aren't seeing I eye-to-eye. There were many games that every N64 owner had (Smash, Mario, DK, Star Fox, Golden Eye, etc..), but most players had massive libraries consisting of all kinds of non-nintendo games. The best part about the N64 aside from the awesome the first party titles, was the ridiculous amount of third party games you could buy. That's not the case any more.

Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
Toy Story 2
All Star Baseball 98
Monster Truck Madness
Turok
NFL Blitz
South Park Racing
Lego Racer
SSX Tricky
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 & 2
WXW/NWO
Madden 99
Rampage World Tour
Cruisin USA

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: January 13, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
I didn't mean to argue it didn't also have many great third party titles that sold well (although some of your list appears to be more "games I had and liked" rather than just what was popular in general), but as I pointed out, the majority of best selling games on the console were still by Nintendo in some form. Taking away the third party games would have definitely made a dent against the Playstation and it's thousands of games at the time, but first party games still made up the bulk of the N64's success and legacy.

And to be fair, my brother is actually bringing our N64 back home today so we can play WWF No Mercy, so I won't deny the great third party titles! :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
Second favourite for me, but far above my third choice. Still gotta go with the cliche answer of OoT as my favourite. TTP is excellent, but I didn't feel all of the items were as well integrated into the game after their respective dungeons, and the music wasn't as strong imo. Great atmosphere and gameplay though.

I LOVE the creepy score. The sort of dissonant noise when a portal opened. The constant black ash everywhere. The cell shading. The whole vibe. I love it so much.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: January 13, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
And to be fair, my brother is actually bringing our N64 back home today so we can play WWF No Mercy, so I won't deny the great third party titles! :metal

Still, to this day, the best wrestling game out there.

I actually have my PS2 in my bookbag with me at work, bringing it to my friends house tonight for some college hoops 2k5 action.  I believe we are the only two people who still play that game.  We simulate a 64 team tournament and then we play against each other for the final match.  We have over 80 of these types of games documented in a spreadsheet since 2006 so we'll add another game to the document tonight with the loser of the last match getting the choice of which team to play as after the simulation.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
I didn't mean to argue it didn't also have many great third party titles that sold well (although some of your list appears to be more "games I had and liked" rather than just what was popular in general), but as I pointed out, the majority of best selling games on the console were still by Nintendo in some form. Taking away the third party games would have definitely made a dent against the Playstation and it's thousands of games at the time, but first party games still made up the bulk of the N64's success and legacy.

WWF : PandaGeddon  :metal

" These Pandas came to Fuck...( up your face ) "

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2896 on: January 13, 2017, 10:28:59 PM »
Anyone else preorder a Switch?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2897 on: January 14, 2017, 03:33:36 AM »
I'm considering it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2898 on: January 14, 2017, 05:53:43 AM »
Switch will cost almost 600€, here in Finland.

That is insane! :facepalm: Ps4 or Xbox1, is about half that price..

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2899 on: January 14, 2017, 06:06:45 AM »
Are you sure retailers aren't just still using "placeholder" prices? Because that doesn't translate to being even close to the normal price. Several retailers here were listing it at absurd prices (one for $999 :lol) until shortly after the livestream.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2900 on: January 14, 2017, 07:04:38 AM »
Are you sure retailers aren't just still using "placeholder" prices? Because that doesn't translate to being even close to the normal price. Several retailers here were listing it at absurd prices (one for $999 :lol) until shortly after the livestream.

Gamestop Finland says the final price is TBD. As it stands it is 400€, which is still too much if you ask me!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: January 14, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
I won't be pre-ordering a switch or trying to find one at launch. I'll get one either during the holiday season or early in 2018. We shall see.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2902 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:46 AM »
I doubt I will be getting a switch, but still Super Mario Odyssey looks pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

but on second thought, I may have to get a swtich for xenoblade chronicles 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuiTw6nk7A
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:49:34 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2903 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
I doubt I will be getting a switch, but still Super Mario Odyssey looks pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

but on second thought, I may have to get a swtich for xenoblade chronicles 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuiTw6nk7A
It does, but I don't like the city at all. It gives me Sonic 06 vibes, especially the fact that they have regular sized humans with normal proportions next to Mario himself. It just looks odd, and begs the question - what is Mario? Is he not human at all? Is he a human born with some kind of condition?

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing it, that might also be the case. :lol The rest of the trailer I really enjoyed.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: January 16, 2017, 05:05:30 AM »
I don't think anyone has liked the idea of Mario in a human city. It just looks odd, and doesn't fit with the previously established Mario aesthetic at all.
The other settings shown from the game so far look pretty cool though.