Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 222998 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I wonder if the previous upload was a mistake? Either way, even though I was excited before, this new upload fixed every one of my reservations so I'm even more excited now! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Someone must be listening, nearly everything people said about the previous video has been tinkered with and (in my opinion) improved.

I say let them test the rest of the songs on us  ;D  :metal

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Someone must be listening, nearly everything people said about the previous video has been tinkered with and (in my opinion) improved.

I say let them test the rest of the songs on us  ;D  :metal
That's actually kind of interesting. Is it possible the first video was sent out to get people's opinions before the full release? I mean, it's common practice in for example the movie business to have screen previewings for a test audience that sometimes results in them changing stuff before the actual premier.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Considering the release date, I would think it's too late for them to be making changes to the audio mix and edit.
I think it's very possible they just inadvertently used an older version of the video, that had a different cut, and not the final audio mix.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline nikatapi

Yep, that's the mix of the mp3 if i'm not mistaken. Audible keyboards and a real live vibe. Consider me hyped.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
They should seriously release this kinda stuff on DTF first as a test, let us nitpick it to death, and then fix everything that's "wrong" about it and release it to the rest of the world. xD
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Jinx

I find it hard to believe that it had been up for nearly a week before they noticed.  :-\

I think they wanted to gauge people's reactions on it. The first one was good, but the 2nd one sounds sooo much better!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
They should seriously release this kinda stuff on DTF first as a test, let us nitpick it to death, and then fix everything that's "wrong" about it and release it to the rest of the world. xD

Exactly. If it's something we DTFers now it's how to nitpick about every little detail :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

Exactly. If it's something we DTFers now it's how to nitpick about every little detail :lol

Remember the rope end in the ADTOE cover?  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Or the blemish (which I never quite saw) in the DT12 cover?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni

You mean the cut? Well, that was really quite evident. :D
- Marco

Offline Sycsa

Listening to little snippets back to back from the two, the old mix almost sounds like a demo compared to the new.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As someone said, it has more of a Score feel now which is a very good thing.

Also for such a simple song, MM is working pretty hard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
So did they just recut it to not show the overdub of the guitar solo? Or did they take out the dub too? Either way, works for me. :)

JLB sounds a little lower in the new mix (at least that I recall), but I can still hear him fine. The mix sounds a little phase-y, like it's a mixdown of the 5.1 mix, so I'll wait and see how it sounds on the final DVD.

I'm really hoping that's all it is, and that it's gonna sound better when on the actual BLu-Ray.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline taylorimpromptu

I never saw this myself either. Where on the cover is it located?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni

I never saw this myself either. Where on the cover is it located?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37913.msg1612291#msg1612291

This was however soon rectified and is not visible anymore on all official pictures.
- Marco

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
This mix sounds so much better! Sounds nice and wide similar to SCORE.

You can hear the drums and keyboards a lot more clearly and doesn't have that "sounds mono" feeling anymore :)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
The new mix sounds fantastic! :hefdaddy Looks like they changed the shot for the overdubbed bit in JP's solo.

Offline Xenon

It's a shame you can't replace JP horrible tone  ;D

Offline Mladen

You can hear  Petrucci's voice now.
Holy shit, you actually can!

They actually tuned down the backing track and turned up JP's vocals just like I hoped they would do. And not only that, but a gorgeous vocal harmony that I had no idea was there is suddenly revealed - listen to him singing ''gold mine'' part, that was tremendous!  :hefdaddy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can hear  Petrucci's voice now.
Holy shit, you actually can!

They actually tuned down the backing track and turned up JP's vocals just like I hoped they would do. And not only that, but a gorgeous vocal harmony that I had no idea was there is suddenly revealed - listen to him singing ''gold mine'' part, that was tremendous!  :hefdaddy

You mean the lower harmony on JLB's first time singing it? On those first two choruses you can see JP stops singing exactly at that point to sing along with the higher backup response to the line, which is the JLB backing track. I can't quite tell if the backing track for that first lower harmony is JP's voice or JLB's.

Offline Mladen

You mean the lower harmony on JLB's first time singing it?
No, the lower harmony on JLB's second time singing it - or to be accurate, the lower harmony of JLB's backing track.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
No, the lower harmony on JLB's second time singing it - or to be accurate, the lower harmony of JLB's backing track.

I thought you meant literally on the words "gold mine", but do you mean on the words "looking glass"? That's a JLB vocal. JP starts singing along on the word "through" when the vocal cuts in hard on the word "the". Also, it's the same voice as the backup a few words earlier "standing on the sidelines", when JP is still singing along with the higher backup harmony.

It is nice to hear those harmonies mixed louder, because they're not very prominent on the album. You can hear them, but they don't add as much as they do here.

Offline Jinx

To the folks who have preordered - Is the money taken right away or on despatch of the item? Cheers  :tup

Offline Mladen

I thought you meant literally on the words "gold mine", but do you mean on the words "looking glass"? That's a JLB vocal. JP starts singing along on the word "through" when the vocal cuts in hard on the word "the". Also, it's the same voice as the backup a few words earlier "standing on the sidelines", when JP is still singing along with the higher backup harmony.

It is nice to hear those harmonies mixed louder, because they're not very prominent on the album. You can hear them, but they don't add as much as they do here.
Nope, JP is still singing ''gold mine'' while James begins with ''standing on the sidelines'' - it's at 1:25 precisely. I'm pretty sure I hear JP's voice singing the ''gold mine'', and it's a harmony that I haven't heard on the album, so I figured it must be JP. I can also hear him real well on some other parts of the tune, on some of the parts he really couldn't be heard on the previous mix.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Nope, JP is still singing ''gold mine'' while James begins with ''standing on the sidelines'' - it's at 1:25 precisely. I'm pretty sure I hear JP's voice singing the ''gold mine'', and it's a harmony that I haven't heard on the album, so I figured it must be JP. I can also hear him real well on some other parts of the tune, on some of the parts he really couldn't be heard on the previous mix.

Ok, slight confusion there with all of the vocals. :lol
It's hard to tell because you've got the tail end of JLB's higher tape backup of "gold mine", plus the live JLB vocal of "standing on the sidelines", plus JLB's lower tape backup vocal for that line that ends on "sidelines" then comes back on "the looking glass".
I have a suspicion that what is heard underneath "gold mine" is actually the lower harmony of "standing on the sidelines" at about the same register, and not an extra harmony for "gold mine". There are either 3 or 4 vocal parts overlapping right at that point, depending on whether there is indeed an extra JP part there, so it's a little hard to tell for sure!

Offline taylorimpromptu

After having listened to the re-upload of The Looking Glass at least a dozen times, I can say with confidence that I will be one happy camper if the entire Blu-Ray yields a similar mix. As several have already alluded to here, the spirit of the Score DVD has, for all intents and purposes, been recaptured once again.

Well done, DT, well done.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
I was really worried after watching the first version that this was going to be another release where the music sounded dry/compressed/in your face. Not sure how or why that first version even got uploaded. Guitars have been too upfront on Luna Park and DT12 and I thought it was going to be the same thing on this release as well.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this new version!
I've listened to it at least about 6 times already! Really looking forward to hearing the DT12 songs on here. I never even noticed some of those keyboard lines and what MM was playing during the guitar solo on the album. 

Octavarium really grew on me after watching SCORE. I'm hoping that this release could possibly do the same with DT12 :)

Offline Mladen

Ok, slight confusion there with all of the vocals. :lol
It's hard to tell because you've got the tail end of JLB's higher tape backup of "gold mine", plus the live JLB vocal of "standing on the sidelines", plus JLB's lower tape backup vocal for that line that ends on "sidelines" then comes back on "the looking glass".
I have a suspicion that what is heard underneath "gold mine" is actually the lower harmony of "standing on the sidelines" at about the same register, and not an extra harmony for "gold mine". There are either 3 or 4 vocal parts overlapping right at that point, depending on whether there is indeed an extra JP part there, so it's a little hard to tell for sure!
Yeah, I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around our own posts.  :lol Whatever the hell is going on with all the vocals during the chorus, I really hear some JP vox that weren't there on the previous mix and they sound damn good.  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
My god that's so much better. Everything is clear, the lower end has punch, keys are audible as are JP's vocals. 

I'm really eexcited for this release, mainly because the sound and video looks great for this fantastic setlist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
To the folks who have preordered - Is the money taken right away or on despatch of the item? Cheers  :tup

Good question. All places are different, but I THINK Amazon might charge once the item is shipped. You might want to contact Amazon, or whoever you're pre-ordering from.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
From amazon.com (the only one to mention the existence of this release), the fourth wall of the Blu Ray case. No mentions of specal features here.

- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice back cover!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
The bar code's position is really weird, though! Who puts them on top center, they have lived in their warm bottom-right spot since late Mesozoic!  :lol
- Marco

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
The bar code's position is really weird, though! Who puts them on top center, they have lived in their warm bottom-right spot since late Mesozoic!  :lol

It's a part of the artwork. It's so in your face it's like it's breaking the fourth wall.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"