Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 219922 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Get a blu-ray player!

So much this. TAC, I think I've got an extra one laying around somewhere. Wanna buy it real cheap, Buddy?  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline 425

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with BluRay, and certainly don't get the cries for those of us who still use DVD to follow the technology (not referring to you, bosk, since that isn't what you said, but in general). Yes, BluRay looks better than DVD, but for a lot of people it just doesn't look enough better to convince them to buy a whole new system. Plus if someone likes to play movies on their computer and has a computer that's even a couple of years old (or a Mac), a BluRay is not a good investment for them since they simply can't play it. It might be a better investment if BluRay discs worked to play DVD-quality video on ordinary DVD players, or if DVD/BluRay combo packs weren't literally the cost of a DVD plus the cost of a BluRay. But, quite simply, for a lot of people it is not worth a marginal bump in picture quality to experience numerous drawbacks.

I get that the label wants to follow all of the latest technology trends. But even the most ardent of BluRay fans has to admit that there are a ton of people out there for whom the format is not yet worth it. So I think it's silly for the label to take features away from DVD buyers for no particular reason (there is absolutely no reason why they should not be able to sell the CDs either on their own or together with the DVDs at next to no additional cost).

Edit:
Get a blu-ray player!

So much this. TAC, I think I've got an extra one laying around somewhere. Wanna buy it real cheap, Buddy?  :biggrin:

Great, but I like to watch things like this on my laptop, so are you also offering me one of those that can play BluRay? And what if I want to loan it to a friend who doesn't have a BluRay player (a lot of people don't)?

Honestly all we're asking here is that they not completely exclude us from buying the CDs just because we don't want to buy BluRays. I don't get why anyone would actually oppose the label making the CDs available in a set with the DVDs or on their own. Either it affects you positively, or it doesn't affect you at all.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Get a blu-ray player!

Great, but I like to watch things like this on my laptop, so are you also offering me one of those that can play BluRay? And what if I want to loan it to a friend who doesn't have a BluRay player (a lot of people don't)?

Honestly all we're asking here is that they not completely exclude us from buying the CDs just because we don't want to buy BluRays. I don't get why anyone would actually oppose the label making the CDs available in a set with the DVDs or on their own. Either it affects you positively, or it doesn't affect you at all.

Hey, I totally agree with you. I'm just saying get a Blu-Ray player because HD movies are awesome! Nothing to do with DT or live albums!  ;D
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can get blu ray drives for computers and they are fairly cheap, for laptops.. its getting harder to find them with optical drives in general.

Blu-ray to me, is SOOOO much better than DVD.  The picture and sound are so worth the price to upgrade your system and over the years HD TVs and Blu Ray players have gotten very cheap, I own three HD TVs and 2 Blu Ray players.  Some of the best investments I have made.

For example, I own both the Live at Budokan DVD and Blu-Ray and there is a noticeable difference there and that one wasnt recorded for Blu-Ray like the LALP was (which has a beautiful picture).  I expect this new Blu-Ray to be really really visual and sound appealing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Look, I was having a little fun with my pal TAC. Feel free to look away.

But to be perfectly honest, an acceptable Blu-ray player is less expensive than the top package for this one DT concert. Seems like a no brainer to me, but your mileage OBVIOUSLY varies.

:chill
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:00:43 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Let me chime in.  If you are a fan of music a Blu Ray Players and a HDMI receiver is a must.  It is light years better than a DVD player with a Dolby Digital reviver.  You can spend about $150.00 on a very good Blu Ray Player that will upgrade wireless and a very good HDMI receiver for about $250.00.

Well you do have to have a LCD/LED or Plasma TV.

It is worth it for the music lovers.  Trust me.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

And cinema lovers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
And cinema lovers.

My sub woofer agrees with you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Honestly, I don't get the fascination with BluRay, and certainly don't get the cries for those of us who still use DVD to follow the technology (not referring to you, bosk, since that isn't what you said, but in general). Yes, BluRay looks better than DVD, but for a lot of people it just doesn't look enough better to convince them to buy a whole new system.

Like I said, I sympathize with those who do not have BluRay players.  But as to this point, it is not just the picture.  The problem with DVD's is their limited capacity.  With better picture technology, sound on DVDs began to suffer in the late 90s because there is only so much data you can fit on a disc, and as the demand for better video increased, that meant less space for audio.

there is absolutely no reason why they should not be able to sell the CDs either on their own or together with the DVDs at next to no additional cost

There actually is additional cost.  Each different bundle means different packaging.  And there is a cost associated with that.  They make what seems like the most cost-effective decision in terms of how many different packaging options to offer based on how many units of a particular bundle they expect to sell.  I'm not going so far as to say that offering CDs only or a DVD/CD bundle would necessarily be cost-prohibitive, but I am just addressing your point that it basically costs "nothing."  They probably figue it is not worth it since they are offering an audio only package. 

I don't get why anyone would actually oppose the label making the CDs available in a set with the DVDs or on their own.

Wait, what?  Who is "opposing" the idea?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Labrie is sounding pretty good here.  Not as wavery as he was on LALP.  Looking forward to this.

Is that a solo overdub at the end of the main solo I see, or is it just a lag in the video?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Get a blu-ray player!

We actually bought a BR player before LALP came out but I couldn't figure out out how to hook it up! :lol
:oldfart
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Maybe I'm the only person in this forum, but to me DVD or BluRay are formats I barely even register as existing.
I would like my DT video in MKV with XVid and AAC. That way I can watch it on my laptop, my projector, my iAnus or whatever the latest device is.
Like, what technologically relevant device has an optical disc reader at this point?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Like, what technologically relevant device has an optical disc reader at this point?

Uh...a BluRay player?  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
HAs this NOT been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DI7E_QvetVM
No, I don't think it has  :omg:

This mix is so superior to Luna Park it's ridiculous. In youtube, I put Metropolis Pt. 1 from LALP immediately after watching The Looking Glass and the difference is abyssmal.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Oh good lord I'm regretting posting in this thread.   :facepalm:

but you did it again anyway

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Uh...a BluRay player?  :biggrin:

They are reasonably *recent*, but they are technologically the equivalent of audio CDs, which are close to irrelevant these days. It's just by sheer data volume that video saw yet another introduction of a physical media, which is doomed to die not too far from now.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
CDS FOREVER!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Oh good lord I'm regretting posting in this thread.   :facepalm:

but you did it again anyway

It only takes one post for it to show up in my 'new replies to my posts' feed.  So more posting doesn't make a difference.  I wish there was an 'unsubscribe' option or something.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Oh. I've never even used that option. :lol   Seemed cumbersome to me.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Sooooooo... we just had Luna Park and now we're getting another live release? Fine, whatever, I'll buy it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Grizz

You can get blu ray drives for computers and they are fairly cheap
but the encryption
Maybe I'm the only person in this forum, but to me DVD or BluRay are formats I barely even register as existing.
I would like my DT video in MKV with XVid and AAC.
I would like my DT video MKV in HEVC or JPEG2000 and FLAC. The reason you'll never see these is that it's way too easy to distribute them.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Actually, I'm not crazy about the mix of ACOS. Nothing to do with the drums or anything, there's just something about it... I don't know how to describe it, but it's not great.
Agreed. I wouldn't call it bad but the youtube comment guy is right. It's a very weird mix.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
You know it is possible to buy a Blu-ray and make in into a DVD, CD and play on a computer (MP4).  Just get the Blu-ray and convert it into any format you need.

Sooooooo... we just had Luna Park and now we're getting another live release? Fine, whatever, I'll buy it.

Well, it's not DT's fault that LALP came like, a year too late, just because some guys got too overzealous with the whole 360 degree technology.

Offline Skeever

Well, it's not DT's fault that LALP came like, a year too late, just because some guys got too overzealous with the whole 360 degree technology.
i suspect that is not the reason

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Someone said "I'll stick to watching Score" in the comments...  :facepalm:

I mean really there will literally not be one single song in common between these two DVDs. Good thing that guy has his priorities strait and now when he wants to watch anything at all he will be watching that one DVD over and over again, taking up literally all his time and thus reassuring the world that he will never fall into the abysmal trap of watching anything else.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I would like my DT video in MKV with XVid and AAC. That way I can watch it on my laptop, my projector, my iAnus or whatever the latest device is.
You're just too cool for school.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Rumbo doesn't chill at home.  He's a man of the street!  He paints the town red.

Offline Grizz

He paints the town red.
and I want it painted black
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Vipmetal

I'm little dissapointed for the fact that John choose to do overdubs in the ending of the solo on Through the Looking Glass. Kind of spoils the idea of live performance footage. Should have done it at least so that it would not be visible for the eye... :\
DT fanboy from Finland

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
WTF?!?!?  :lol

On a related note, MM's cymbal work is much more audible on this recording and the part before the solo is just gorgeous!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Alright, I just pre-ordered and here are my thoughts of The Looking Glass mp3...

The mix is far clearer in here. The whole "it is mono" thing is proven wrong, the stereo perspective instantly jumped at me. Someone mentioned earlier that the crowd is louder and the mix is much more balanced. Mike Mangini sounds awesome, James sounds just in spot and Jordan is loud and proud.

Everything is where it's supposed to be. This is going to kick Luna Park's ass so hard!

Also, JP's vocal harmonies are far more evident and present here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:52:59 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Alright, I just pre-ordered and here are my thoughts of The Looking Glass mp3...

The mix is far clearer in here. The whole "it is mono" thing is proven wrong, the stereo perspective instantly jumped at me. Someone mentioned earlier that the crowd is louder and the mix is much more balanced. Mike Mangini sounds awesome, James sounds just in spot and Jordan is loud and proud.

Everything is where it's supposed to be. This is going to kick Luna Park's ass so hard!

Also, JP's vocal harmonies are far more evident and present here.

Really good news! Thanks for the heads up!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael