Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 225029 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I'm so excited to hear On The Backs of Angels with a real choir. Tears will be shed.
if i'm not mistaken, Choir and orchestra are only on Illumination Theory and the SFAM encore

Yeah, the choir never performed on OTBOA -- this has been known since the performance back in March.

This is a huge missed opportunity.  I just watched the Sonisphere performance and the crowd sang along to the opening keyboard/choir part and it was badass!!!
I don't want to complain much, cause I'm mostly satisfied with what they did with the choir and orchestra, but I think they could've been utilized on a few more songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'm so excited to hear On The Backs of Angels with a real choir. Tears will be shed.
if i'm not mistaken, Choir and orchestra are only on Illumination Theory and the SFAM encore

Yeah, the choir never performed on OTBOA -- this has been known since the performance back in March.

This is a huge missed opportunity.  I just watched the Sonisphere performance and the crowd sang along to the opening keyboard/choir part and it was badass!!!
I don't want to complain much, cause I'm mostly satisfied with what they did with the choir and orchestra, but I think they could've been utilized on a few more songs.
Of course they could've, but that would've involved much more time of preparation and rehearsals for DT and the orchestra. I'm pretty sure their schedules wouldn't have allowed that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

Of course they could've, but that would've involved much more time of preparation and rehearsals for DT and the orchestra. I'm pretty sure their schedules wouldn't have allowed that.

Yeah...unfortunately thats true. 

Theres nothing inherently wrong with OTBOA but it is definitely my least favorite off of the album possibly next to Far From Heaven.  They're both great songs but thats it among an album of over the top fucking excellent songs. 

I just think with more choir and a bit more of gothic/epic sound then I would pretty much put OTBOA side by side with the rest from ADTOE

Offline tnphelps

So we are getting a new DVD/Blue Ray release but as of yet no concert dates for the 4th most populous state in the Country.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Of course.  Florida is in the Southeast, after all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
So we are getting a new DVD/Blue Ray release but as of yet no concert dates for the 4th most populous state in the Country.
How is the release of a new DVD related to DT's tour schedule?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

If it makes you feel better, the only states with an older population aren't getting any concerts either.  Sorry Maine, Vermont, West Virginia, and Montana. 

Offline WorldsFromAshes

• Devourer of Donuts
  • Rhythm Guitar Man
This just might replace the copy of Luna Park I rock in my car, killer performance! :metal

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5

And the 4th most populous city... Hmmm..
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

And the 4th most populous city... Hmmm..

Well the concert locations aren't selected randomly.  Regardless of how popular your state/city is, if DT has done Evening With shows there in the past that didn't have good attendance, they're going to be less likely to visit this time around. 

Offline hauswife

is anyone here buying the box with the poster? i dont think its worth the extra money

Offline Madman Shepherd

is anyone here buying the box with the poster? i dont think its worth the extra money

I agree. I'll just be getting the bluray with the 3 CDs.  Would love for that to show up on Amazon so I can preorder

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
That's what I would do as well, but this time I'm skeptical. It's said that the BD+3CD package is an official store exlusive.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline claybobay

Just got the preorder download of TLG. Can confirm that it is excellent. The drums sound killer. the panning is really cool with the hi-hats. Never got that from the studio recording.

Offline Xenon

So they fixed the mix and the overdub thing  :tup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9_tFbFWzqc

Offline Madman Shepherd

That's what I would do as well, but this time I'm skeptical. It's said that the BD+3CD package is an official store exlusive.

Oh shit.... I didnt notice that.  Thats kinda bullshit of them  :-\

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
The new upload sounds really good!
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ah, thats what that was.  I got an alert on my phone saying DT put a new vid on youtube but saw the title and thought "Damn my phone is behind on updating me on these things"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I actually like the other mix better.  James is way too low on this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
He was low on both mixes. But the rest is a lot better on the new one, imo
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Both sound good. Idk though, it's tough because this one one just kinda sounds too echoey like a less distinguishable wall of sound, though it is fuller in some ways. But I also feel like I can hear the keyboard better.. The other one was crisper, but that's not to say it was better. Backing tracks are also kind of too loud on this new one.

Offline Xenon

You can hear  Petrucci's voice now.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Both sound good. Idk though, it's tough because this one one just kinda sounds too echoey like a less distinguishable wall of sound, though it is fuller in some ways. But I also feel like I can hear the keyboard better.. The other one was crisper, but that's not to say it was better. Backing tracks are also kind of too loud on this new one.

I feel like it sounds a little bit more like you're listening to it from the venue, kinda like Score, which I think is a major plus. I did like the other mix, but it was a bit dry.

You can hear  Petrucci's voice now.

That too! I was pleasantly surprised to hear that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I think I actually like the other mix better.  James is way too low on this one.

Sarcasm? He's loud as hell.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Sarcasm? He's loud as hell.

No  :lol  I think he sounder louder in the other one.

Offline mikeyd23

Love the new mix, you can hear a much more balanced overall mix in terms of the instruments. They fixed the close up of JP's overdub at the end of the solo, but I'd say much more importantly is the improved mix.

JR is much more audible and his parts sound great. You can hear JP's vocals. The whole mix sounds great now with the guitar sitting back slightly. Loving it  :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Yep that sounded awesome!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
That's the mix I heard. KEYBOARDS!
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
JLB was more prominent in the old mix and what you could hear was much clearer .  The new mix sounds much noisier but you can hear a lot more and it sounds a lot more live.    Immediate impression - prefer the first.  Considered opinion - the second  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
JLB was more prominent in the old mix and what you could hear was much clearer .  The new mix sounds much noisier but you can hear a lot more and it sounds a lot more live.    Immediate impression - prefer the first.  Considered opinion - the second  ;D

Yes, exactly.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Well, that's a bit of a disappointment. I definitely wish we could hear JLB higher in the mix. I'd prefer the older mix just for that.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
So did they just recut it to not show the overdub of the guitar solo? Or did they take out the dub too? Either way, works for me. :)

JLB sounds a little lower in the new mix (at least that I recall), but I can still hear him fine. The mix sounds a little phase-y, like it's a mixdown of the 5.1 mix, so I'll wait and see how it sounds on the final DVD.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
One thing I've noticed with this live version is some of the keyboard lines are far more up front than they were on the studio version.  Like the keyboard lines playing along before the first and second verses.  That gives me hope that the keys won't be buried like they were at times on the Luna Park Blu-ray (which I liked a lot, nonetheless).

Offline Riitasointi

The new version sounds badass! It's amazing what the keyboards do to the sound when they're actually audible, haha.