Author Topic: New Live Release: BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL discussion thread  (Read 223021 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
^^^ Hey, this new version of Scarred might actually redeem the song in your eyes! Should be interesting.  :D

Unless they rewrite it from scratch, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, buddy. :lol But I envy your optimism.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Rodni Demental

Haha. Well it has a few new features going for it, such as; present day JLB, probably richer tones on the instrumentation compared to Awake, not to mention the extra strings and the fact that it's not the CiM version. All qualities that make me optimisic. I won't hold my breath though, that's a bad idea.  :xbones

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Haha. Well it has a few new features going for it, such as; present day JLB, probably richer tones on the instrumentation compared to Awake, not to mention the extra strings and the fact that it's not the CiM version. All qualities that make me optimisic. I won't hold my breath though, that's a bad idea.  :xbones

What extra strings? The Orchestra and choir didn't join until Illumination Theory.

Offline Rodni Demental

Oh dear, well that would have been the main feature. The other things I said were just to hype it up and make it sound new and fancy. So much for that. Haha. :justjen

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Scarred was one of the highlights of this tour for me. I'm probably more excited for a decent live version of this than I am Space Dye -which is really saying something coming from me
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
The highlights on this tour for me was the SFAM songs, mainly Strange Deja Vu and Finally Free.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline adastra

hmm...I don't know if it's because of youtube, but the ending of the guitar solo seems to be little bit out of sync o.o
I hope they fix that :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
The highlights on this tour for me was the SFAM songs, mainly Strange Deja Vu and Finally Free.

Somany fans who lives ONLY for the SFAM album...
I feel sorry for them, really.
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Somany fans who lives ONLY for the SFAM album...
I feel sorry for them, really.

Was this jab necessary? I've known Zydar for a long time on the forum and I can fairly tell you it's not the case! At all! Geez!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't know if it was directed at me, but yeah I definitely don't only live for SFAM.

And thanks Bertielee :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Zy lives for hookers and taking epic pics of where he lives.

Mad hugs my friend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I wish they would have pulled out Blind Faith too so we could have a non horrendous version of that too.

This actually would have been an amazing addition to the setlist.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else think the thing that sucks the most about this video is that in the last few seconds you can hear them just about start to play Trial of Tears?  You hear the cowbells and the guitar is about to start the beginning.  So annoying because I want that and not have to wait until its released!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I wish they would have pulled out Blind Faith too so we could have a non horrendous version of that too.

Well, to be fair, there is little point in having a great version of one of their lesser tracks. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else think the thing that sucks the most about this video is that in the last few seconds you can hear them just about start to play Trial of Tears?  You hear the cowbells and the guitar is about to start the beginning.  So annoying because I want that and not have to wait until its released!

Well, it is just a promo for one song off the DVD.  They aren't gonna release much more prior to the DVD release.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
I don't know if it was directed at me, but yeah I definitely don't only live for SFAM.

And thanks Bertielee :)

You're welcome!  :tup

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!

Well, to be fair, there is little point in having a great version of one of their lesser tracks. :p

While I agree with the general permise behind that, not everyone has a fail taste in music and therefore many people actually recognise Blind Faith as the masterpiece it is.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love Blind Faith and would really hope for a proper live release in the future.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
I love Blind Faith and would really hope for a proper live release in the future.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail

Agreed. I love the guitar tones in Blind Faith, specifically.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Also, I want to add as well that the youtube audio is louder than the actual mp3 (I feel weird comparing audio between a youtube video and an mp3 file  :lol). 4 dBs at most, but it does make a difference. The music breathes more.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Watch your mouth or it's the corner for you!

Offline yeah_93

I'm so excited to hear On The Backs of Angels with a real choir. Tears will be shed.

Offline Xenon

I'm so excited to hear On The Backs of Angels with a real choir. Tears will be shed.
if i'm not mistaken, Choir and orchestra are only on Illumination Theory and the SFAM encore

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
if i'm not mistaken, Choir and orchestra are only on Illumination Theory and the SFAM encore

Yeah, the choir never performed on OTBOA -- this has been known since the performance back in March.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
I'm looking forward to seeing the ADTOE songs on this new DVD. I thought they sounded flat on Luna Park.

Offline Grizz

Well I for one can't wait to hear Enigma Machine with a choir!

Actually I think that would be cooler than it sounds....
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Xenon

Well I for one can't wait to hear Enigma Machine with a choir!

Actually I think that would be cooler than it sounds....
Lol, not sure if trolling or actual question

Offline Grizz

There's no question, just a satirical statement then a legitimate statement.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline yeah_93

Yeah, the choir never performed on OTBOA -- this has been known since the performance back in March.
Oh. Ok, then. I'll go cry in a corner.

Offline Xenon

There's no question, just a satirical statement then a legitimate statement.
d
My bad :lol

Offline volwrath

I should have preordered a bit earlier via amazon. The price just went from $18 to $25  >:(

Now I will just wait.

Offline Madman Shepherd

This is a huge missed opportunity.  I just watched the Sonisphere performance and the crowd sang along to the opening keyboard/choir part and it was badass!!!

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Does anyone know if this show is going to be available as either a regular DVD/CD combo package, or with just the audio-CD version sold separately?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Madman Shepherd

Does anyone know if this show is going to be available as either a regular DVD/CD combo package, or with just the audio-CD version sold separately?

Doesn't look like it. I'm willing to bet that only the formats already announced will be available.