Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 114276 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #385 on: August 08, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
Time Out is a great album. When my dad got hired for a job that required Alto, which is not his main instrument, that's what he used to gain familiarity with the sax.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #386 on: August 08, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm also going to learn the entire Time Out album, note for note. I'll start with the melodies, then maybe work my way through the solos - that is if I feel it's necessary.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :millahhhh

are you an alto/tenor?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #387 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »
Paul Desmond's playing is so lovely.

Offline jsem

« Reply #388 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm also going to learn the entire Time Out album, note for note. I'll start with the melodies, then maybe work my way through the solos - that is if I feel it's necessary.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :millahhhh

are you an alto/tenor?
Alto. Or I wouldn't be attempting such a thing.

I'm in a huge jazz mood now after jazz camp and everything. Listened to a Duke record called At Fargo, Live 1940. 3 hours of pure bliss, DAT LEAD ALTO. One of few great recordings with Jimmy Blanton playing the bass.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: August 08, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »

are you an alto/tenor?
Forgive my ignorance but what's teh difference between alto and tenor? i already know they're both in different registers but how does it make it not-possible to learn an alto's parts on tenor? i've heard some high pitched tenor playing.

i should check out that Duke record  hey

Offline jsem

« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »

are you an alto/tenor?
Forgive my ignorance but what's teh difference between alto and tenor? i already know they're both in different registers but how does it make it not-possible to learn an alto's parts on tenor? i've heard some high pitched tenor playing.

It's not impossible to learn one or the other, but it has mostly got to do with tone quality - the saxes all sound different. I play the baritone sax too so I don't doubt I could play tenor too. Also a lot of Paul Desmond's playing is in pretty high register and would be impossible on the tenor without a very capable altissimo (like falsetto voice but on woodwind - the high pitch stuff you've been talking about) which I don't have. The tenor is tuned half an octave down from the alto and has a much fatter sound while the alto cuts through anything which is why it serves as the lead instrument in a big band.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #391 on: August 08, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »
^ Okay, that pretty much answers all my queries and curiosities. my secondary/substitute teacher has been learning alto and she brought hers in, yes she, last week and played us some nursery rhyme melodies. Amazing sounding instrument, i can't wait til she gets to master level.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: August 08, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
Everyone listen to Jean Louis. The s/t was #5 on my top albums for a reason. :P It streams on their bandcamp.

https://jeanlouis.bandcamp.com/album/jean-louis

Offline jsem

« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2011, 03:49:22 AM »
Everyone listen to Jean Louis. The s/t was #5 on my top albums for a reason. :P It streams on their bandcamp.

Listened. It was good, but usually this type of psychedelic jazz is not my cup of tea. There are exceptions, but this wasn't one of them.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »
As of right now, I'm listening to Bitches' Brew, and Fir the first time, It's actually beginning to really reach out to me.  Took a few months, but the connection is forming.   :hat

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »
As of right now, I'm listening to Bitches' Brew, and Fir the first time, It's actually beginning to really reach out to me.  Took a few months, but the connection is forming.   :hat

Best thing about Bitches Brew is that there is a different drummer in each speaker, doing completely different things. While it may not be the best things Miles has done in my opinion, it's very out there, and I really like that.

Also, A Love Supreme is the perfect way to start a day. Nothing like waking up at 6:45, being the only person awake, and just relaxing to one of the greatest albums of all time.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2011, 05:07:05 AM »
Love Supreme was my first Trane album. 
Haven't listened to it in quite a while, due to Crescent and Blue Train proving easier to get into.  Looks like I'm giving it a listen in a few minutes, though, since you brought it up.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2011, 05:10:41 AM »
A Love Supreme is definitely not where you start with Coltrane. It just so happened to be My first Coltrane album, but my dad also happens to be a jazz head, so I had already listened to Coltrane a lot, and I was when I first heard it I was like, "Damn. This is a straight up MASTERPIECE."
prog sucks

Offline jsem

« Reply #398 on: August 09, 2011, 05:12:58 AM »
Love Supreme was my first Trane album. 
Haven't listened to it in quite a while, due to Crescent and Blue Train proving easier to get into.  Looks like I'm giving it a listen in a few minutes, though, since you brought it up.
What about everytime you see my avatar no?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »
Seeing a gentleman's button with the Grateful Dead skull doesn't provoke me to listen to Live Dead.

Finished the listen; so glad I went back to ALS.

It was all making sense; listening to Crescent heavily in the past few months helped a lot with that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:56:50 AM by MasterShakezula »

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:52 AM »
Finished the listen; so glad I went back to ALS.

You're welcome.
prog sucks

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2011, 06:17:35 AM »
You are my favorite Pokemon, Jigglypuff!

Now, a quick question for you:

How jazzy is Lizard by King Crimson?

I've heard it being described as having elements of big band and being a major development in early jazz rock.  Is this the case?

(I'm looking into getting it and want to know what to expect)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2011, 06:21:25 AM »
To tell you the truth, I haven't listened to it, so I wouldn't know. Sorry bud.
prog sucks

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »

Listened. It was good, but usually this type of psychedelic jazz is not my cup of tea. There are exceptions, but this wasn't one of them.
Meh, understandable. :P

Offline darkshade

« Reply #404 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »
Bitches Brew is a masterpiece. I first heard it back in 2005, and bought it in 2006. I haven't really appreciated it until a couple years ago, and every time I throw it on now, I always discover new things to enjoy about it.

Same thing with A Love Supreme, though I always found this one easier to get into, as it's still post-bop, though a little crazier. BB is still more out there than ALS is.

I was listening to a couple of 60s Herbie Hancock albums, but now I'm on this

This album is pretty good. Nice lineup of course, but this reminds me of Bitches Brew in terms of mood, but with the creative virtuosic fire than Jaco and Metheny bring to the mix. Everyone should check out this album.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
Herbie Hancock is my hero right now. He really sparked my interest into the world of Jazz Fusion, and I never looked back.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:20:33 PM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks

Offline jsem

« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
When we're on the topic of Herbie Hancock...

All his albums including the guitarist Wah Wah Watson are something else. Wah Wah Watson is something else man, best funk guitarist ever.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
When we're on the topic of Herbie Hancock...

All his albums including the guitarist Wah Wah Watson are something else. Wah Wah Watson is something else man, best funk guitarist ever.

Herbie is the man. He is my favorite jazz artist, followed VERY closely by Miles Davis, Coltrane, Chick Corea, Dave Holland, etc... I could go on and on; they're all so great.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
My top five:

1. Keith Jarrett
2. John Coltrane
3. Herbie Hancock
4. Thelonious Monk
5. Miles Davis
prog sucks

Offline jsem

« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Miles
Trane
Brubeck
Herbie
Bird/Diz
Art Blakey
Monk

Something like that.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
Since there was some discussion about A Love Supreme earlier, I thought I would share this with you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Dmo2YygG4
prog sucks

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2011, 03:41:39 AM »
Guys I've been getting into Miles' 1961-1968 period, ending just before Miles In The Sky because I already had that and it was probably the first time I REALLY noticed Tony Williams was an absolute-freakishly amazing drummer. That song, Nefertiti, is incredible. The rhythm section having a chance to improvise and the horns keeping melody instead of having solos here and there. Reversed form or something, never thought of that before!

so anyway, i'm listening to E.S.P. Great album so far. I don't see what's so bad about this underrated quintet. you've got stuff like Someday My Prince Will Come, oh i'm sure he will, Sorcerer, Quiet Nights (includes Gil Fucking Evans), Seven Steps To Heaven (is that an AWESOME name for an album or WHAT), E.S.P., Miles Smiles, and Nefertiti. Wayne Shorter tenor, Herbie Hancock piano, Ron Carter dub bass, Fucking Tony Fuckingh Williams drum machine, oh and of course Mr. Miles Davis TRUMpet. relaxing, attentive to mood, detailed, subtle, calm, smooth, wacky, groovy, ya know. i was getting really into his bitches brew stuff before I figured i'll FIIIINALLY check out his second great quintet's era. so many albums to delve into. chances are you douches won't read this shit but ah well.

more later forgot what i was gonna say shit

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:41 AM »
Hmm... I really dig ESP and Miles Smiles!  And Tony Williams is my favorite drummer to have played for Davis!

I've never really given Skrcerer-Kilimanjaro a shot yet;

Would you say chronological order would be the way to go?

Also, I really dig 7 Steps; would I also really dig Quiet Nights and My Prince?  Which one do you prefer most?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2011, 04:04:28 AM »
Go for Sorcerer-Filles de Kilimanjaro a try. i remember i didn't like Kilimanjaro hence why i haven't heard it since the first time. i much preferred miles in the sky to it. i've been working my way back from Nefertiti because i dunno... was really into bitches brew so i wanted to see how they progressed in reverse or something. i still haven't heard 7 steps nor Quiet Nights, nor Someday My Prince Will Come. i gotta check out betty davis, she was a babe man...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2011, 11:10:38 PM »
now I'm on this

This album is pretty good. Nice lineup of course, but this reminds me of Bitches Brew in terms of mood, but with the creative virtuosic fire than Jaco and Metheny bring to the mix. Everyone should check out this album.

Well, shit. i've forgotten to talk about this particular and rare record. i encourage you all to find this, took me probably months to finally get it.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »
Anyone here have Brown Street by Zawinul?

I love it!

One of his last works, it Was a live record of him performing the best of Weather Report with a big band accompaniment.  And it adds a lot!  I'd say it often exceeds the original recordings in terms of goodness.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 12, 2011, 08:32:58 AM »
I love jazz bassists...

Marcus Miller
 :heart :heart :heart :heart
https://youtu.be/ufRRp37P7Tk

Offline jsem

« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
Marcus Miller is one of the best bassists out there, but isn't THAT jazzy.

Well, a good way to put him is: way too funky to be a jazz bassist but way too jazzy to be a funk bassist.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #418 on: August 12, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Very cool video, my first actual listen to any of his playing.  I enjoy.

I have heard of him through him working with Miles Davis in the 80s, but I never checked that stuff out, as I've heard very little positive about his post-75 stuff.

Offline jsem

« Reply #419 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
as I've heard very little positive about his post-75 stuff.
Years active    1975–present

But I'm assuming you mean his solo work...

Well, listen to the song Scoop. That gives you an idea of what Marcus Miller is capable of.