Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 111023 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
At the moment, I'd say it's in the middle (as in, halfway between meh and must have). At the end of the day, Miles B-Sides are, despite what the hardcores might say, still B-Sides. Miles didn't put a fair bit of this stuff onto albums for good reason. Unless you're REALLY big on those fusion albums, not really essential listening.

Having said that, most jazz takes a LONG time to grow on me. I normally have a good idea roughly how I will feel about an album after 3, 4 listens. With jazz, I'd put that at ten listens, sometimes more. So the stuff which I like at the moment, I could end up loving, and the stuff I'm not so keen on... well, yeah.

One thing that I found interesting is that you can hear the band's sound creeping towards the sound they capture on IASW with the preceding sessions*, but they're still not REALLY close right up until the actual sessions that the album tracks came from, and BAM, out of nowhere, there's McLaughlin (from what I understand, they brought him in on a whim) and they're suddenly there.

There's also two tracks at the end of the boxset from the one session that took place between IASW and BB (if I'm right, BB directly followed the stuff on this boxset, and ALL the extras on the BB Complete Sessions boxset are from sessions following the ones for the album itself) and one of those tracks, The Ghetto Walk, is almost perfectly situated between the sound of Silent Way and Bitches Brew. Really interesting track purely because of that.

*Despite the titles, which to me imply you're getting the music just from the sessions of the album named - i.e. the scraps of music they made while making that album - these Miles fusion years Complete Sessions boxsets are really just a way of reducing the masses of stuff Miles produced in the studio during that period, for which there were previously tons of bits and bobs B-Sides albums, into four convenient brackets corresponding to the four studio albums. Which means the focus is really more on delivering the material from the sessions directly leading up to and following each album together WITH that album in one package than it is delivering the scraps of the sessions themselves. The exception is Tribute to Jack Johnson.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #526 on: September 11, 2011, 05:35:32 AM »
i listened to bitches brew shortly after waking up this morning. tonight, right now, i'm listening to in a silent way.

bitches

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2011, 01:32:15 PM »
Just discovered a wonderful jazz guitarist. Adam Rogers. The guitar player in my band showed me his song Phrygia, which you should all look up because it's amazing, and I was blown away. This guy is just amazing.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jsem

« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
While we're on Jazz Guitarists.

Frank Vignola.

Absolutely godly.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jsem

« Reply #530 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
That's insane. I have to get that.

edit: just pre-ordered

26th of September on co.uk

win
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:07:20 PM by jsem »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #531 on: September 17, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Sweet!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #532 on: September 17, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
This just doesn't seem right. 50 bucks for 20 discs?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ELZNH0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=werdcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005ELZNH0

If I didn't already have everything but those last two, I might be all over this.

I'm guessing this is a cheap budget reissue with little to no liner notes or packaging. (Which of course is fine if that's what you're looking for.)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #533 on: September 18, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »
"20 iconic original albums in mini LP replica sleeves, presented in a rigid case lift off lid box with a 30 page booklet and discography."

holy fuck i DO want this. only if it were actually LPs though

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #534 on: September 19, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
Having said that, most jazz takes a LONG time to grow on me. I normally have a good idea roughly how I will feel about an album after 3, 4 listens. With jazz, I'd put that at ten listens, sometimes more. So the stuff which I like at the moment, I could end up loving, and the stuff I'm not so keen on... well, yeah.

And as I predicted, I've warmed to the Silent Way Complete Sessions stuff a lot since. It's very chill, but it creeps up on you.

Am getting paid a good sum for the first time since April in a few days. Will be celebrating with a mini-haul, and Bitches Brew Complete Sessions will definitely be there.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #535 on: September 20, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
Today I went to Wynton Marsalis and the lincoln center orchestra's rehersal and show. It was awesome  :millahhhh

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #536 on: September 20, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
"20 iconic original albums in mini LP replica sleeves, presented in a rigid case lift off lid box with a 30 page booklet and discography."

holy fuck i DO want this. only if it were actually LPs though

Just about what I figured.

That's only a page and a half of liner notes for each album even before adding the pages for the discography. Hopefully some of the liner notes will be on the sleeves themselves. Not really something i'd be interested in, but I'll admit it's pretty tough to deny the pricepoint.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #537 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:44 AM »
Am getting paid a good sum for the first time since April in a few days. Will be celebrating with a mini-haul, and Bitches Brew Complete Sessions will definitely be there.
As I mentioned in the haul thread, I decided to wait on this a bit longer, and get it at the same time with the Jack Johnson Sessions in one massive Miles haul.

I got Live-Evil in the meantime, however. On first listen now, and whoooooooooooooa. This is pretty out there. Although Jack Johnson had already been recorded and released when this stuff (the live stuff, anyway) was played, it almost sounds like a bridge between Bitches Brew and Jack Johnson, it kind of has one foot in the smokier, trippier sound of BB and one foot in the more direct, rock-based sound of JJ.

Also a very interesting listen because the only live album I've heard from this era at this stage is Agharta, and it's incredible how his live sound evolved in those five or so years. I never really thought about it too much, but listening to this, it's clear as day how much more funk-based that late stuff is.

edit: Forgot to say, this reminds me a bit of TMV's Scab Dates, only it doesn't blow great chunks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #538 on: September 24, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
As I mentioned in the haul thread, I decided to wait on this a bit longer, and get it at the same time with the Jack Johnson Sessions in one massive Miles haul.

I got Live-Evil in the meantime, however. On first listen now, and whoooooooooooooa. This is pretty out there. Although Jack Johnson had already been recorded and released when this stuff (the live stuff, anyway) was played, it almost sounds like a bridge between Bitches Brew and Jack Johnson, it kind of has one foot in the smokier, trippier sound of BB and one foot in the more direct, rock-based sound of JJ.

Also a very interesting listen because the only live album I've heard from this era at this stage is Agharta, and it's incredible how his live sound evolved in those five or so years. I never really thought about it too much, but listening to this, it's clear as day how much more funk-based that late stuff is.

edit: Forgot to say, this reminds me a bit of TMV's Scab Dates, only it doesn't blow great chunks.

I love Live-Evil. Definately one of my faves.  Yeah, the funk stuff really takes off later on. Miles definately keeps moving. Also one of the things I like about him.

I've picked up a little on the Miles influnce in The Mars Volta. But I like Scab Dates too.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #539 on: September 24, 2011, 07:56:21 AM »
While we're on Jazz Guitarists.

Frank Vignola.

Absolutely godly.

FUCK YES.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #540 on: September 27, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
Has anyone heard the album Crossings by Herbie Hancock?

I've had this for months, and have played it five or six times, and... well, it's not very good. It's basically the same formula as Mwandishi (an amazing album), only with very little focus to the compositions, and no real hooks to draw you in. Just 45 minutes of spaced out fusion jamming that comes and goes and doesn't really do anything in the meantime.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #541 on: September 27, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »
Give it time. I could only get into Sextant back in the day (2006), those other 2 albums did nothing for me. I too thought it wasn't as good as Sextant (they were doing the same thing, etc..) Then I eventually warmed up to Mwandishi, but not Crossings. I think Crossings is the most progressive of the trilogy, because when it did click for me, I immediately felt the other 2 albums were inferior, and still do. Well, maybe not inferior, but not as good.

Give it time. Try again in a week or two.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #542 on: September 28, 2011, 01:20:57 AM »
Eh, I've given this album tons of attempts. I'm not gonna give up on it completely, but I'm gonna put it away for a year or two now.

At least until I check out Sextant anyway, which I'm yet to get around to. That, Takin' Off, and Thrust seem to be the most essential Hancock albums I'm missing at this point. And I simply MUST hear Future Shock at some point.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #543 on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
Has anyone heard the album Crossings by Herbie Hancock?

I've had this for months, and have played it five or six times, and... well, it's not very good. It's basically the same formula as Mwandishi (an amazing album), only with very little focus to the compositions, and no real hooks to draw you in. Just 45 minutes of spaced out fusion jamming that comes and goes and doesn't really do anything in the meantime.

What year did this come out?

Sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse....

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38:19 AM »
71?

It's the middle album in the Mwandishi - Crossings - Sextant trio, which Hancock released during the period when fusion first appeared. Mwandishi is brilliant, Crossings pretty much completely lost on me.

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #545 on: September 29, 2011, 02:25:05 AM »
Modern Jazz is great, I would recommend :

- The bass player Victor Wooten: album Palmystery , sure, check out his other projects

- Denis Chambers - his albums/projects, e.g Outbreak and many more.
     Denis plays with Niacin , which is prog, jazz, fusion...my total favorite in this style...

- Laco Deczi music ( I think, also Stanley Clarke played with him) - www.lacodeczi.com

Offline jsem

« Reply #546 on: September 29, 2011, 05:41:41 AM »
Victor Wooten's work with Bela Fleck is epic

Offline darkshade

« Reply #547 on: September 29, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
Eh, I've given this album tons of attempts. I'm not gonna give up on it completely, but I'm gonna put it away for a year or two now.

At least until I check out Sextant anyway, which I'm yet to get around to. That, Takin' Off, and Thrust seem to be the most essential Hancock albums I'm missing at this point. And I simply MUST hear Future Shock at some point.

Well like I said, I got those 3 albums in 2006 or so, and Crossings didn't click for me until early this year. What's interesting is that I can't comprehend why I didn't like it before. You may feel the same way one day.

Thrust is probably Herbie's best album out of all his albums. Sextant was always my favorite of the Mwandishi trilogy. Takin' Off is solid post-bop from the 60s and is pretty essential for a Hancock collection. I'll warn you that Future Shock is very samey, and is really only good for the hit song "Rockit", but there's nothing bad about the album.

If you don't have these albums, you need them. "Man-Child", "Secrets", and "Dis Is The Drum".
Also, if you don't know, you should get Jaco's self titled album; it has Herbie on all tracks, and is essentially a Herbie Hancock album with Jaco on bass (not really, but almost).

Modern Jazz is great, I would recommend :

- The bass player Victor Wooten: album Palmystery , sure, check out his other projects

- Denis Chambers - his albums/projects, e.g Outbreak and many more.
     Denis plays with Niacin , which is prog, jazz, fusion...my total favorite in this style...

- Laco Deczi music ( I think, also Stanley Clarke played with him) - www.lacodeczi.com

Funny you mention Wooten and Chambers, but not the Greg Howe/Dennis Chambers/Victor Wooten album "Extraction". Superb fusion by 3 great virtuosos. I don't know who plays the keys on it though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:19:31 AM by darkshade »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #548 on: September 30, 2011, 02:30:01 AM »
Some of those other ones are on my more extended list, just not my essential Hancock list (which I may have to rearrange now, haha). I hadn't read good things about Secrets though, and didn't know of the Jaco album.

Sounds like I've left some of the stronger albums til later though  :laugh:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #549 on: September 30, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
71?

It's the middle album in the Mwandishi - Crossings - Sextant trio, which Hancock released during the period when fusion first appeared. Mwandishi is brilliant, Crossings pretty much completely lost on me.

Don't have any Hancock, but it sounds like I need to have these as some point.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: September 30, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
Had to learn How Deep Is The Ocean by Diana Krall for my course.  :-[

What a roast !!! Remembering the form was a nightmare ! And we had to improvise over it, so I just read the vocal melody and improvised around that instead of working out the best mode for each chord etc...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #551 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
Some of those other ones are on my more extended list, just not my essential Hancock list (which I may have to rearrange now, haha). I hadn't read good things about Secrets though, and didn't know of the Jaco album.

Sounds like I've left some of the stronger albums til later though  :laugh:

Oh yea, "Jaco Pastorius" is an essential album, especially for fusion fans. And you NEED Thrust!

Secrets has a couple of duds, but most of the tracks are solid jazz-funk, 2 of them being some of my favorite songs from HH (Doin' It, and Swamp Rat)

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #552 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:38 AM »
Funny you mention Wooten and Chambers, but not the Greg Howe/Dennis Chambers/Victor Wooten album "Extraction". Superb fusion by 3 great virtuosos. I don't know who plays the keys on it though.

Excellent album.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #553 on: October 06, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
Just listen and pay your respects. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5j_Lx2R4g

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #554 on: October 06, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
Hey guys...

NINE DISCS OF MILES

I'm listening to the remastered Pharoah's Dance right now - my copy of BB which I bought years ago was a fairly early CD pressing, I think. The sound difference is actually astonishing. In sections, the mix has been altered so much, instruments brought forward and pushed back to such a degree, it's like listening to a new track. This was literally half the reason I was anticipating this set.

I originally bought the Silent Way Sessions just as an online download cos it was quite cheap, but looking at the books to these with essays, photos, session/track-by-track breakdowns and so on, I'm probably going to go back and get a hard copy of that too.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #555 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »
Sweet! I have the first but would love to get the second...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jsem

« Reply #556 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:42 AM »
This just doesn't seem right. 50 bucks for 20 discs?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ELZNH0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=werdcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005ELZNH0

Got that Miles box set now. All CD's ever should be in mini-LP sleeves.. seriously, regular CD cases make no sense whatsoever.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: October 07, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #558 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
Looks great!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #559 on: October 07, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Nice, I have the one of the left and probably a good deal of the one on the right, but not that particular box.