Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 164553 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1785 on: March 06, 2023, 10:22:12 AM »
Still not sure why Roger felt the need to re-record that record (and obviously this time as a solo effort) and who the target group for such a record is.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1786 on: March 06, 2023, 10:37:17 AM »
I'd much prefer a new solo album, the last one was damn good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1787 on: March 06, 2023, 06:57:08 PM »
And also it is a way for me to honor a recording that Nick and Rick and Dave and I have every right to be very proud of.

He is honoring a recording he made with others, by recording an alternate version without them?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: March 16, 2023, 06:41:01 AM »
What are everyone's thoughts about Nick Masons saucerful of secrets? I was listening to their album on the way to work and honestly its my favorite versions of those old songs. I'm sad I skipped on missing them when they came through, the show sounds like it has great live energy.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1789 on: March 16, 2023, 06:48:58 AM »
I saw that band last year and immensely enjoyed the performance. It's nice to see a tribute to Pink Floyd that not only features a Pink Floyd member but also highlights an era that neither Waters nor Gilmour pay attention to in their concerts. I really have a fond memory of the concert, especially because it was the second show I saw after two years of covid.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1790 on: March 18, 2023, 05:29:07 PM »
I'd much prefer a new solo album, the last one was damn good.

I'd love a new one too but he seems to have gone in rewrite mode which bothers me a little bit. He may be close to retirement.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1791 on: April 26, 2023, 10:58:44 AM »
Have You Got It Yet? The Story of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd

May 15th in the UK

https://www.sydbarrettfilm.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALajTTcXwZE

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: April 26, 2023, 11:32:56 AM »
Look interesting. I wonder if it'll have new interviews, I think from the trailer I was able to recognize some old stuff from other documentaries and interviews.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1793 on: July 25, 2023, 08:49:11 PM »
Money from Roger Water's re-recording of DSOTM came out a few days ago.

I couldn't even sit through the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUVmeYgo1Iw&t=0s
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1794 on: July 25, 2023, 08:54:29 PM »
I made it to the first lyric.
Nope.
Absolutely not.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1795 on: July 25, 2023, 09:20:12 PM »
You have no idea how badly I want to hate this. I’m sick of Roger, I’m sick of his ego, I’m sick of his crap, and I absolutely hate this entire idea with every fiber of my being.

…but I’ve been listening to a freaking crap ton of Tom Waits for the last couple of years, and I’ve gotten to the point of absolutely adoring everything that guy ever touches.   So when the first line kicked in, the thought struck me “this sounds like Tom Waits doing a cover of Money.”   And then…god help me…I started to like it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #1796 on: August 16, 2023, 12:15:12 PM »
This article is almost 7 years old now and I’m probably the last person here to learn this, but I never heard this until now that Jordan Rudess almost played on The Wall:

“Many years ago I had a friend by the slightly unusual name of Bleu Ocean,” recalls the Dream Theater keyboard maestro. “He was a very good drummer; I believe he had been one of the studio drummers for The Monkees, playing with them behind the scenes. Anyway, Bleu got the job of assembling a marching band that would appear on the song Bring The Boys Back Home.

“I was hanging out at Bleu’s home one day and he said, ‘Come on man, come to the studio and watch the recording of the track. You could even be a part of it’. Well, I wasn’t a drummer – by that point I’d have been around 18 years old and had long since decided that keyboards would be my life – but I’d played some very basic snare drum when I was in Third Grade.

“So I went with him to the session. I walked in, someone gave me a drum and some sticks. I’m playing along and having a really good time but as I’m doing so I become aware that Bob Ezrin [producer] is looking at me across the room, eyebrow slightly askew and finally he says: ‘I don’t think so’.

“After he’d picked me out I went and sat in the control room and long before anyone else we got to hear a playback of that track, though of course we had no idea of what it meant or where it would fit in the overall puzzle of Pink Floyd’s album.

“I was fine with Bob’s decision. I was a very poor drummer. But there’s a part of me that still wishes I’d been able to appear on The Wall. That would’ve been very cool indeed.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/how-jordan-rudess-almost-played-on-the-wall

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1797 on: August 16, 2023, 12:16:57 PM »
That's very cool!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1798 on: August 16, 2023, 01:25:46 PM »
This article is almost 7 years old now and I’m probably the last person here to learn this, but I never heard this until now that Jordan Rudess almost played on The Wall:

“Many years ago I had a friend by the slightly unusual name of Bleu Ocean,” recalls the Dream Theater keyboard maestro. “He was a very good drummer; I believe he had been one of the studio drummers for The Monkees, playing with them behind the scenes. Anyway, Bleu got the job of assembling a marching band that would appear on the song Bring The Boys Back Home.

“I was hanging out at Bleu’s home one day and he said, ‘Come on man, come to the studio and watch the recording of the track. You could even be a part of it’. Well, I wasn’t a drummer – by that point I’d have been around 18 years old and had long since decided that keyboards would be my life – but I’d played some very basic snare drum when I was in Third Grade.

“So I went with him to the session. I walked in, someone gave me a drum and some sticks. I’m playing along and having a really good time but as I’m doing so I become aware that Bob Ezrin [producer] is looking at me across the room, eyebrow slightly askew and finally he says: ‘I don’t think so’.

“After he’d picked me out I went and sat in the control room and long before anyone else we got to hear a playback of that track, though of course we had no idea of what it meant or where it would fit in the overall puzzle of Pink Floyd’s album.

“I was fine with Bob’s decision. I was a very poor drummer. But there’s a part of me that still wishes I’d been able to appear on The Wall. That would’ve been very cool indeed.”

Holy crap!  I never knew that!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1799 on: August 16, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »
Even just the fact that he was there while that was being recorded is pretty wild.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1800 on: August 16, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
What's cooler?  Playing a single drum on "The Wall" that no one is going to be able to hear, or being able to tell people you got called out by Bob Ezrin, asked to leave, then sat in the control room and listened to the playback?   Sorry I'll take the latter.  :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1801 on: August 17, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »

Holy crap!  I never knew that!

I didn't either. In retrospect, how cool was it that Bob Ezrin did that. What a funny story.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1802 on: August 17, 2023, 09:38:07 AM »
It's a tough call.  Definitely would've been cool to play on The Wall.  But being invited to play on it, then told by Bob Ezrin "I don't think so" is a better story.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: September 20, 2023, 04:24:28 PM »
Has anyone here seen Brit Floyd? They are coming to town and I'm curious if they are worth going to. I never got to see Pink Floyd but I've heard some of the touring cover bands are pretty good.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 06:02:30 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1804 on: September 20, 2023, 04:33:11 PM »
Has anyone here seen Brit Floyd? They are coming to town and I'm curious if they are worth going to. I never got to Pink Floyd but I've heard some of the touring cover bands are pretty good.

i saw them at red rocks once. it's definitely a good show!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1805 on: September 20, 2023, 05:46:37 PM »
Has anyone here seen Brit Floyd? They are coming to town and I'm curious if they are worth going to. I never got to Pink Floyd but I've heard some of the touring cover bands are pretty good.

Supposed to be decent and seem to tour a lot. Can't say though. Never saw a Floyd tribute before.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1806 on: September 21, 2023, 01:09:25 AM »
I saw them three times and would see them again. Their performance is flawless and they pretty much cover all eras of the band. Go for it.  :tup

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1807 on: December 15, 2023, 07:41:23 PM »
I just caught the "Dark Side of the Moon" planetarium experience, and that was epic. Highly recommend if anyone has a chance to catch it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1808 on: December 19, 2023, 11:26:28 AM »
those are always fun, always recommended to do it with party favors
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1809 on: April 24, 2024, 09:47:08 AM »
Don't know if this'd fit here but David Gilmour just announced a new album: Luck and Strange. Arriving on September 6th.

First single, "The Piper's Call" due tomorrow.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1810 on: April 24, 2024, 10:05:24 AM »
"Luck and Strange" sounds like a trip out to the bar back in my 20's.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1811 on: April 24, 2024, 11:31:46 AM »
Don't know if this'd fit here but David Gilmour just announced a new album: Luck and Strange. Arriving on September 6th.

Oh, nice!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1812 on: Today at 06:56:42 AM »

Great news, and I think this is completely irrelevant, lol  :lol

https://shorturl.at/loGU9

My memory serves me right and the Great David Gilmour was once a resident in the nearby seaside town of Hove (an hour from me), and I even unknowingly had visited the Italian restaurant named Marrocco's just next door to his former home.

Long story short, he just moved to a farm even closer to me (30 mins) in Wisborough Green.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1813 on: Today at 08:47:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DesLs2dYys

New Gilmour track out, somehow, I'm getting early Floyd vibes.