Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283744 times)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Jordy Nelson Lays the Pipe on the Packers
« Reply #735 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
Falcons are my second favorite team behind the Dolphins

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #736 on: August 13, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »
Falcons are my second favorite team behind the Dolphins

So you have bad taste.

BAZINGA!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #737 on: August 13, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »
Nah, he has a boner for franchises originating in 1966. Shoulda waited one more year.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #738 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
Check out these playoff W/L records by these Hall of Fame (or future Hall of Fame) quarterbacks:

Terry Bradshaw 14-5
Kurt Warner 9-4
Troy Aikman 11-5
Brett Favre 13-11
Peyton Manning 11-12
Dan Marino 8-10

Yet if you had to rank those six on the all-time list, just about everyone would put the three at the bottom ahead of the three at the top.  Weird.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: August 14, 2014, 11:28:09 AM »
I look at that and think, better built team all around for the top 3.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #740 on: August 14, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
That's true in the case of Aikman and Bradshaw, who were both good quarterbacks on totally stacked dynasties, but I think Manning and Favre were on plenty of well-built teams, too (though none were as good as those Dallas or Pittsburgh teams).  Hell, Favre's Packers team that won in '96 was a rare team that was number 1 in both total offense and total defense; that team was pretty awesome. 

Of course, just like some were bummed about not getting Broncos/Vikings in '98, not getting Broncos/Packers in '96 was a bummer, too.  The '96 Broncos made the "mistake" of being too good too quickly - clinched home field at 12-1, basically took the last three weeks off, and were then flat in the divisional round playoff loss to the Jags. :censored :censored :censored 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: August 14, 2014, 11:42:08 AM »
I kind of look at those teams the way the Pats have been for 7 years now, the strength is too one sided on the offensive side.  You can have an awesome offense but if your D is average, you wont win the big games.  If you have a great defense, but an average offensive you can still win those big games.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #742 on: August 14, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
Manning's 2012 Broncos did have a really good defense that year, but that defense didn't bother showing up against the Ravens, yet still probably would have won if not for Rahim F'ing Moore. :facepalm: >:( :censored

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #743 on: August 14, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
Also, it's always interesting when a team is really good for a number of years, yet the lesser teams do better.

For example, the 2006 Colts were certainly not the best Colts team of the Manning era, yet it was the only one that won it.

The 2007 Patriots were undoubtedly the best one of the Belichich/Brady era, yet they didn't win it, while three other Patriots teams did.

The 2001 Rams were far better than the 1999 Rams, but the latter won the Super Bowl, while the former lost it.

Hell, even the 2012 Broncos were better than the 2013 Broncos, yet the '12 team lost in the divisional round, while the '13 team got to the Super Bowl.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: August 14, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »
I remember that Colts D as very poor but the last few games before the playoffs and into the playoffs they played great which helps the Colts since the offense was average at best for that team.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: August 14, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »
The Ravens kept that Colts team out of the endzone for the divisional round game. We lost a battle of field goals in what was one of the most painful losses in Ravens history. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: August 14, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
Boy I remember that games as well.  Both D's were fantastic.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
So!

How bout dem Niners?

:angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
So, I started watching the new Teddy Bridgewater highlight video.  They showed one of the Vikings players jogging onto the field.  I was waiting for them to cut to Teddy Bridgewater and the announcers said "now here comes Bridgewater" and I was like wait, wait a second - Teddy Bridgewater's black!?!?!?

Instant Reggie Cleveland All-Stars inductee.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #749 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:48 AM »
You didn't know he was black?

BTW, the Panthers looked pretty good most of the time against the Chiefs last night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #750 on: August 18, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
So, as we all know, the NFL is calling illegal contact far more frequently this pre-season.  They've said they will continue to do this during the regular season.  Obviously, this is to further encourage passing.  But I think this runs slightly deeper.

I suspect the NFL hated how the Superbowl panned out.  Instead of Manning winning a second title and becoming a legend, the Seahawks' defense locked him down.  Richard Sherman, a very divisive player, become a winner and got that status that comes with it.  Not only that, but the Seahawks' scheme isn't rocket science.  It's a mix of zone and man coverage that's very easy to teach.  If other defenses started copying what the Seahawks do (almost a certainty), offensive stats would drop across the board.

So my theory is that the increase in illegal defense calls isn't an arbitrary decision made to further increase the strength of offenses.  It's a very specific reaction to what happened in last year's Superbowl.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: August 18, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
Other defenses don't have the personnel to do what the Seahawks did last year. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #752 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »
Other defenses don't have the personnel to do what the Seahawks did last year.

Not to that degree, but it's still a great system.  The Eagles ran something conceptually similar last year.  Without changing personnel, They went from one of the worst defenses in the league to slightly above average because they started nailing the execution.  The system makes the players better.
Over and over again

Offline jammindude

« Reply #753 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
It may not be rocket science, but what I *THINK* they have taught in Seahawk school is how to time your hit legally and properly....it's the same thing they play in hockey, and they've been doing it in football since god knows when.    They've changed the rules on where you can hit a guy, and under what situations you can hit a guy...but they cannot stop hitting entirely or it wouldn't be football.   So as long as hitting is allowed, there is always room for the "intimidation game"....if you can combine that with guys who can hit as well as play good coverage, you have a very strong defense.

No one is going to reinvent the wheel.    You can say "it ain't rocket science" all you want.   But the fact of the matter is that when you play the fundamentals really well, you're going to be successful.    There's not a look in football that hasn't been seen, or a style of play that hasn't been tried.  So it just comes down to how well you execute things that you already know how to do. 

It's like a pitcher in baseball.   They are all throwing curves, and sliders and fastballs and change ups.   And if just throwing those pitches was all there was to it, then EVERYONE would be a great pitcher.      It ain't rocket science, you just throw the ball over the plate in such a way that the batter can't hit it.   Easy right?     But that's why those who execute even the most basic things really well, will be successful.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #754 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:27 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #755 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »
I smell a fine coming.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #756 on: August 18, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »
I'm starting to be confused by the mystique surrounding this guy.  He seems like a fuckup who manages to keep succeeding for reasons that aren't totally possible to understand.  Few types of people are more infuriating.
Over and over again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:18 AM »
Alright, obviously me being from down under, NFL isn't something we follow like the yanks.  But a couple of guys I work with want to do a fantasy NFL draft.  We did one with the Aussie NRL which was awesome fun, so we need something for the off season.

Now, I have no idea about any of the players, but if anyone who is clued up could run off a few names that they think are gonna perform well this year that would be smart to put in their team.  I'm gonna learn more about the game but we are doing the draft this Saturday, so I'd like a bit of an idea on who to get and who not.

Thanks pigskin fans.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #759 on: August 19, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »
So my theory is that the increase in illegal defense calls isn't an arbitrary decision made to further increase the strength of offenses.  It's a very specific reaction to what happened in last year's Superbowl.
I disagree. 

I know people are bitching and moaning about all the flags, and "not letting the DBs play," but remember, there is no new rule.  This is a re-emphasis on the existing rule.  For years now, DBs have been all over WRs far past the "chuck" line near the line of scrimmage.  This is more a course correction than anything.

IMO
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:46 AM »
When Hef speaks, I agree.

I can't tell you how many times last year I thought that the receiver was WELL past the 5 yard boundary, and it was WAY more than incidental contact.  Defenses have been getting away with tons of shit for years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #761 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »
Alright, obviously me being from down under, NFL isn't something we follow like the yanks.  But a couple of guys I work with want to do a fantasy NFL draft.  We did one with the Aussie NRL which was awesome fun, so we need something for the off season.

Now, I have no idea about any of the players, but if anyone who is clued up could run off a few names that they think are gonna perform well this year that would be smart to put in their team.  I'm gonna learn more about the game but we are doing the draft this Saturday, so I'd like a bit of an idea on who to get and who not.

Thanks pigskin fans.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php

That gives you a good idea of about where players are going in drafts.  It updates daily, and you can change the settings based on how many teams are in your league, PPR, etc.

As for who to get and who not to get, much of it depends on the scoring system. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
https://www.nfl.com/top100/2014

Thanks pigskin fans.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php

That gives you a good idea of about where players are going in drafts.  It updates daily, and you can change the settings based on how many teams are in your league, PPR, etc.

As for who to get and who not to get, much of it depends on the scoring system. 

I love you guys.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #763 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
 :coolio

Feel free to ask any more questions.  I love talking fantasy football.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #764 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »
QB:

Sammy Baugh
Bobby Layne
Sid Luckman
Curly Lambeau

RB:

Beattie Feathers
Ernie Nevers
Cliff Battles
Alan Ameche

WR:

Don Hutson
Elroy Hirsch
R.C. Owens
Charlie Joiner

Kicker:

Pete Gogolak
Lou Groza
George Blanda
Mark Moseley
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: August 20, 2014, 04:49:31 AM »
That's a fantasy alright.  Man you're an 'old soul' when it comes to football.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #766 on: August 20, 2014, 06:39:08 AM »
Sammy Baugh was badass.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #767 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
Dude was the Jim Thorpe of his day.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #768 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
Damn right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #769 on: August 20, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
He was an Injun?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson