Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283715 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. DoC Lays the Pipe on stale themes
« Reply #911 on: September 02, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
Oh snap!  Wow!

BTW, scroll down and this was the first thing I read.  LOL.

"Concussions and speed -- basically Wes Welker is a Motörhead song."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #912 on: September 02, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Oh snap!  Wow!

:lol  I know the situation isn't funny, but that comment is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: September 02, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
Sometimes you find gems in serious moments. :lol

I'm not surprised anymore with any athlete on any sport when they get caught.  It's the norm,  sad to say.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #914 on: September 02, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
And I just drafted him last night...  :tdwn

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: September 02, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »

Maybe the 4 weeks may allow him to fully recover from his latest concussion.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #916 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »

Maybe the 4 weeks may allow him to fully recover from his latest concussion.
That's a good point. I'd certainly prefer this suspension to another concussion. If he gets one more I think he'll call it quits (which he should).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #917 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
Wow. Trying to figure what sort of Speed he's likely into, and I'm guessing X. Partying at the Kentucky Derby, lots of pretty gold-diggers and drinking mint flavored whiskey. Hit of X seems like a pretty good option. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing about avoiding contact for 4 weeks. This really is the best time for him to get busted for being a dufus.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #918 on: September 02, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
Let me get this straight...

Beating your wife = 2 game suspension....

Using amphetamines = 4 game suspension.....

Smoking pot = 1 year suspension

:facepalm:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #919 on: September 02, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »
The part that no one ever mentions when comparing Josh Gordon to others is that it is his third failed test, while Welker's was only his first.  He didn't get suspended for smoking pot, he got suspended for repeatedly smoking pot after being caught twice.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: September 02, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »

This post =  :facepalm:

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #921 on: September 02, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
I'm disappointed in Welker  :facepalm: Hopefully Sanders, Latimer, J. Thomas and Bubba Caldwell step up in his absence. I know I don't have to worry about Demaryius Thomas  :metal

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #922 on: September 02, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
Oh snap!  Wow!

:rollin

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #923 on: September 02, 2014, 11:39:51 PM »

Meanwhile, half the NFL wears white after labor day at least 16 weeks a year scott fuckin free.

Care to explain how hittin a broad isn't worse than taking a lower/mid level drug?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: September 03, 2014, 03:58:09 AM »

Care to explain how hittin a broad isn't worse than taking a lower/mid level drug?
[/quote]

Nope. Obviously not enough context to compare these suspensions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #925 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »
Rice obviously should have gotten more than two games, but it's not as simple as saying, "Gordon got a year for smoking pot."

1. It was the third time he was caught.
2. It was collectively bargained by the players and the owners for that to be the deal.
3. Pissing away millions to get high is moronic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #926 on: September 03, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
Oh, and as for Welker, well, he was on the Patriots for years, and you know what they say: once a cheater, always a cheater. :lol :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
Oh, and as for Welker, well, he was on the Patriots for years, and you know what they say: once a cheater, always a cheater. :lol :biggrin:

:getoffmylawn:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #928 on: September 03, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »
OH YEAH, KEV?  Well, Welker plays for the Broncos now, and EVERYBODY knows that they...er...

I mean, they have such a longstanding reputation for...um...

That entire organization is a well-known bunch of...

Well, I never really liked orange that much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #929 on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
Haha, exactly.

Honestly, I wasn't counting on Welker that much this year, as I think he is one more concussion from retiring, so these first four weeks will give the young guys like Sanders and Latimer more of a chance to shine.  The two Thomases (Demaryius and Julius) should both be reliable as heck, so let's see what the others can do and get this going. :coolio

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #930 on: September 04, 2014, 09:12:34 AM »
Cowboys signed Michael Sam to their practice squad. Good for them, they could actually use Michael Sam on the defense really. Cowboys are my mom and bio dad's favorite team, so as an extension I've always liked them, would be happy to see Sam in a Cowboys uniform sooner than later.
Apparently this facebook group of Moms is going to have a protest over it though  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #931 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
Well, the thing is, he actually doesn't look like he is going to develop into a very good player, from what he has shown so far.  So that being said, I am absolutely in favor of him going to the Cowboys.  :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #932 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Well, the thing is, he actually doesn't look like he is going to develop into a very good player, from what he has shown so far.  So that being said, I am absolutely in favor of him going to the Cowboys.  :lol
He had a pretty good preseason, the only reason he didn't make it onto the Rams is because the Rams are already solid as fuck on defense and they gave the one open spot they had to another player with a pretty much equally good preseason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #933 on: September 04, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
Sam did almost all of his good work in preseason against the backups (see: a lot of players who were cut this past week).  I think he could be a good situational pass rusher for a team in need of help in that area, but that's about it.  He is apparently awful against the run (too small).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #934 on: September 04, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »
I wasn't following specifically, but the things I read actually said he was very lackluster in the preseason.  If that is not correct, I apologize.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #935 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the take from an outsider's perspective (i.e. someone outside the S.F. Bay Area who is not a 49er fan) on the Ray McDonald situation?  A certain former 49er commented on radio that Harbaugh "has to" take a stand and bench McDonald this week if we wants to uphold any credibility.  I strongly disagree--at least, based on the facts I am aware of so far.  If there are enough facts to believe that the accusations are likely true, then he should absolutely be benched AND should face severe consequences from the league.  But until such evidence actually comes out and the process has not had a chance to play out, I think it actuall behooves the coaching and the organization to essentially consider him innocent until proven otherwise.  I mean, how to other players in the locker room even attempt to feel like the organization has their back if players get penalized based on mere accusations?  I dunno.  It's a tough call, and I understand wanting to take a hard stance on the issue to make a statement in support of zero tolerance for certain behaviors.  But I just also think it is important to refrain from jumping the gun. 

What do you guy think?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #936 on: September 04, 2014, 10:23:35 AM »
It's a damned if you do; damned if you don't situation.  These are some pretty serious allegations.  Yes, the law is innocent until proven guilty, but benching someone has nothing to do with the law, it's about principle's.  Let me put it back this way... in ANY other profession, what could/should an employer do if an employee is charged with something like this?  I would suspect most would put an employee on paid leave while an investigation is ongoing.

It's not a matter of doing the legal thing, it's a matter of doing the 'right' or ethical thing.  Sure, you've got to guard against unfounded allegations, but is this a legit thing with MacDonald (I don't know... I'm not following it)?  If there's ANY semblance of legitimacy, I would say the 'right' thing is to bench him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
Do we have any idea what the allegations are? If there was a tussle and both parties went to jail then I could see holding off on judgement. If he was caught on video dragging her lifeless body out of an elevator then you bench him now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #938 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what is the take from an outsider's perspective (i.e. someone outside the S.F. Bay Area who is not a 49er fan) on the Ray McDonald situation?  A certain former 49er commented on radio that Harbaugh "has to" take a stand and bench McDonald this week if we wants to uphold any credibility.  I strongly disagree--at least, based on the facts I am aware of so far.  If there are enough facts to believe that the accusations are likely true, then he should absolutely be benched AND should face severe consequences from the league.  But until such evidence actually comes out and the process has not had a chance to play out, I think it actuall behooves the coaching and the organization to essentially consider him innocent until proven otherwise.  I mean, how to other players in the locker room even attempt to feel like the organization has their back if players get penalized based on mere accusations?  I dunno.  It's a tough call, and I understand wanting to take a hard stance on the issue to make a statement in support of zero tolerance for certain behaviors.  But I just also think it is important to refrain from jumping the gun. 

What do you guy think?

I agree with your assessment.  Particularly the bolded part.  When the Donald Sterling tape leaked, the NBA had to do an investigation to confirm its authenticity.  A Clippers game was scheduled to be played before the investigation would be finished, so Silver (NBA commissioner) asked Sterling not to attend.  Because the voice on the tape was almost certainly Sterling's, it was appropriate for Silver to take this action.

In this case, very little is known about what McDonald is being accused of.  Unless the league and the 49ers know far more than we do, no information exists to justify a benching or suspension.  In America, you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #939 on: September 04, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »
It's a damned if you do; damned if you don't situation.  These are some pretty serious allegations.  Yes, the law is innocent until proven guilty, but benching someone has nothing to do with the law, it's about principle's.  Let me put it back this way... in ANY other profession, what could/should an employer do if an employee is charged with something like this?  I would suspect most would put an employee on paid leave while an investigation is ongoing.

It's not a matter of doing the legal thing, it's a matter of doing the 'right' or ethical thing.  Sure, you've got to guard against unfounded allegations, but is this a legit thing with MacDonald (I don't know... I'm not following it)?  If there's ANY semblance of legitimacy, I would say the 'right' thing is to bench him.

I do not disagree with you in principle.  But the thing is, thus far, he has NOT been charged.  IMO, we simply do not know enough.  And I get that in a normal workplace, the safe course would be to put someone on an admin leave pending investigation.  But in an NFL season that lasts only 16 weeks, doing that to a player has very different consequences than it would in the typical workplace.  I just don't know.  I tend to agree with Reap's assessment.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #940 on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
And I get that in a normal workplace, the safe course would be to put someone on an admin leave pending investigation.  But in an NFL season that lasts only 16 weeks, doing that to a player has very different consequences than it would in the typical workplace.

Yeah.  I thought about this too.  Let's say you told McDonald not to play in games, but you still allowed him to collect paychecks, attend practices, and work out.  What message are you sending, that the only reason he isn't playing is for PR?  That strikes me as far more cynical than just playing him.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: September 04, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
I agree on all counts above.  Like I said, I'm not following it at all.  I didn't know that he hadn't been charged.  This first broke when??  5 days ago.  If there hasn't been enough in 5 days for the po-po to press charges, then I say there's not enough to justify benching him.  Hence the reason/need to guard against baseless accusations.  Frankly, this hasn't made any of the news outlets I'm following, so I don't know squat about it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #942 on: September 04, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
We, as a society are too quick to judge.  We demand quick, and harsh retribution of the highest degree, fact finding be damned.  The facts must be presented, and they must be indisputable.  Furthermore, from a PR standpoint, once the punishment is enacted, you can't fix the past if it is later determined they are innocent.  Ask a Duke lacrosse player what happens when "justice" is meted out without regards to the facts just to satisfy out egos.

The 49ers and the league must wait until the facts are found, even if it pisses off women's rights groups.  Right now we don't know the facts.  Leveling any discipline until the time they are known - which doesn't necessarily mean when and if it goes to trial - only makes it harder to do the right thing in the future because society will demand justice faster next time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #943 on: September 04, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I think I read that Goodell said that the league wouldn't do anything until the legal system had run its course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:35 PM »
We, as a society are too quick to judge.  We demand quick, and harsh retribution of the highest degree, fact finding be damned.  The facts must be presented, and they must be indisputable.  Furthermore, from a PR standpoint, once the punishment is enacted, you can't fix the past if it is later determined they are innocent.  Ask a Duke lacrosse player what happens when "justice" is meted out without regards to the facts just to satisfy out egos.

The 49ers and the league must wait until the facts are found, even if it pisses off women's rights groups.  Right now we don't know the facts.  Leveling any discipline until the time they are known - which doesn't necessarily mean when and if it goes to trial - only makes it harder to do the right thing in the future because society will demand justice faster next time.

There's a fine line between judging too quick vs acting too lenient.  Tell me how society/authorities should react if child pr0n allegations are thrown against an elementary school teacher?  Abuse of power charges against law enforcement?  Should we just wait until there's undeniable proof/evidence.  Sometimes the idiom 'better safe than sorry' should prevail.  For as many Duke lacrosse players, there are UC at Berkley female students who got swept under the rug because of their (ultimately proven) allegations.  But, we digress and are approaching P/R level discussion.

I've stated my stance on this MacDonald situation, and I'm taking it to the extreme with the above situations.  Just saying it's not always as black and white as "innocent until proven guilty".