Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283759 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Jordy Nelson Lays the Pipe on the Packers
« Reply #700 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
First Rams preseason game tonight!  5 bullet points..

1. NO INJURIES PLEASE

2. Running back competition between Stacy/Cunningham/Mason

3. Michael Sam fighting for a roster spot.  Biggest competition is Ethan Westbrooks.  Looks like the 2 of them will be fighting for the final 9th DL spot.

4. WR competition.

5. Secondary concerns - Our Front 7 looks great, back end has the question marks.

GO RAMS!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #701 on: August 08, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
For the Panthers tonight, I'm not expecting too many revelations, other than getting a look at the rebuilt WR corps and some DBs.

The defense is pretty stacked, as is the OL and RBs, and Cam will be the guy at QB (although he may not play at all tonight, and if so, only handing off).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #702 on: August 08, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
With preseason, you can't take anything to heart with the team's performance.  I suspect that if you did a statistical study, preseason performance would have little to no correlation with regular season performance.

Hopefully, these two things will actually matter:

1.  How hard is the team working?  Are they obviously not going full tilt because it's the pre-season?  Or are they already out there busting their ass?

2.  What does the playbook look like?  How much has it expanded from last year?

Even trying to keep my focus narrow on purpose, I suspect by week four of the regular season I'll be angry about shattered expectations.

Fuck preseason.  Can I still call my friend and tell him I'm not going over?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #703 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
The players on the field after the first couple of series had damn well better be going full speed, because those are guys still looking for jobs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #704 on: August 08, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »
With preseason, you can't take anything to heart with the team's performance.  I suspect that if you did a statistical study, preseason performance would have little to no correlation with regular season performance.

Hopefully, these two things will actually matter:

1.  How hard is the team working?  Are they obviously not going full tilt because it's the pre-season?  Or are they already out there busting their ass?

2.  What does the playbook look like?  How much has it expanded from last year?

Even trying to keep my focus narrow on purpose, I suspect by week four of the regular season I'll be angry about shattered expectations.

Fuck preseason.  Can I still call my friend and tell him I'm not going over?

ReaP, you never see the real playbook in preseason.  It's as bland as bland can be.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #705 on: August 08, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »
Exactly. Teams are not gonna tip their hand by running their best game plans in the preseason.  It's very vanilla.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #706 on: August 08, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »
The players on the field after the first couple of series had damn well better be going full speed, because those are guys still looking for jobs.

Indeed.  But I want to see the starters putting in work too.  Especially because of how Kelly runs his teams (ridiculously physical, hard practices).  I need to see that paying off.

ReaP, you never see the real playbook in preseason.  It's as bland as bland can be.

Exactly. Teams are not gonna tip their hand by running their best game plans in the preseason.  It's very vanilla.

I think I'm going to be drinking a lot during this game.
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: August 08, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »
I watched 2 series for the Pats/Redskins game and went to my DVR.  Boring as all hell.  the 3rd game I'll watch most of it because it's a trial run for the starting group for at least a half to 3 quarters.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: August 08, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »
For the Panthers tonight, I'm not expecting too many revelations, other than getting a look at the rebuilt WR corps and some DBs.

The defense is pretty stacked, as is the OL and RBs, and Cam will be the guy at QB (although he may not play at all tonight, and if so, only handing off).

Yeah, you guys really did a turnaround on your WR corp.  Cam's good to go.  I'm sure they're treating him like Kaep, Wilson, and RGIII are being treated ,drilling into him do NOT take off running  :lol

Indeed.  But I want to see the starters putting in work too.  Especially because of how Kelly runs his teams (ridiculously physical, hard practices).  I need to see that paying off.

I dunno...  Mike Martz used to run those high tempo practices back in the Greatest show on Turf days. It's all good until a marquis player gets hurt.  I want my starters played very sparingly, if at all in the first preseason game.  The Rams do it a bit different than most teams.  Most play their starters the most in game 3, the Rams do it in game 4.  I like that approach, that way they're warmed up for the next week season opener.

I think I'm going to be drinking a lot during this game.

I concur 1000%  ;D

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
I watched 2 series for the Pats/Redskins game and went to my DVR.  Boring as all hell.  the 3rd game I'll watch most of it because it's a trial run for the starting group for at least a half to 3 quarters.
I watched the first half to see if James White demonstrated any brilliance (nope!). Mallet certainly didn't look good and I wasn't around to see New Guy. A lot of sloppiness, including a couple of penalties on Browner (not that the secondary situation concerns me in the slightest  :lol). Easley is who I most wanted to see, but he didn't even make the trip.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: August 08, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
And that's why I can't watch it El Barto! :lol  You never see who you really want.  Was both lines that bad?  I'll wait to the season starts and evaluate as the season progresses.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #711 on: August 08, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
They were both completely unremarkable. I saw one hold, and I saw the O-line make a grand canyon sized hole that one of the no-name RB's totally failed to exploit. That's the only time I ever thought about either line.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #712 on: August 08, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
Hey, I just realized something.  If a team has a really good preseason, it is technically possible to rack up as many wins as Cleveland had in their entire 2013 regular season. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #713 on: August 08, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »
If a team even steps on the field, they've already equaled the '60 Cowboys,'76 Bucs, '82 Colts, and '08 Lions.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: August 08, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
If a team even steps on the field, they've already equaled the '60 Cowboys,'76 Bucs, '82 Colts, and '08 Lions.

And the 08 Lions were 4-0 in the preseason I believe.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #715 on: August 08, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
Nice to see Tannehill throw a TD on the opening drive, 6 for 6, with 0 sacks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #716 on: August 08, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »

And the 08 Lions were 4-0 in the preseason I believe.

You just can't let me have anything, can you?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #717 on: August 09, 2014, 05:57:15 AM »
Well, I saw what I wanted - rookie WR Kelvin Benjamin caught a TD pass.

But the OL definitely needs work - pass blocking was OK, but they didn't open up any running holes at all.

A pleasant surprise was QB Joe Webb, competing for a #3 QB position that the Panthers may not even keep.  He showed great athleticism, good decision making, great arm strength and zip on the ball, and led the team on two long drives.  That was a lot of fun to watch.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #718 on: August 09, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
Things I saw:

- Jordan Matthews didn't impress me.  The Eagles should worry that he is a draft bust.

- Sanchez showed a little more poise than Foles.  I think we might see Sanchez starting this year.

- McCoy didn't have any notable plays.  Watch for his impending decline.

- The Eagles special teams made some big plays.  Look for them to be the best unit in the league this year.

- The Eagles didn't pull off a successful two minute drill at the end.  While the starters weren't playing, we should be concerned that a culture of losing is developing in the locker room.

Emperor Kelly might have no clothes.  Are we sure he can make magic happen twice in a row?
Over and over again

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #719 on: August 09, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »
As an Eagles fan who follows them 24/7, here's my response to that:

I wouldn't put too much into Matthews' drops. It was his first NFL action in his life. Sammy Warkins had no cathes in his first game and nobody is calling him a bust. The drops were bad, but this kid has tremendous work ethic. He'll make the necessary adjustment. I wouldn't worry about it.

McCoy had one carry all game. They were taking it easy with him. To say he's declining because of that is a little ridiculous. It can also explain why the first team offense wasn't too sharp, because the Eagles offense revolves around McCoy and the zone read, which I didn't see them run at all last night.

The offense should be fine and I'm sure they will be one of the top 5 in the league this year. The defense worries me, but they looked a little improved and I like what I'm seeing from the younger guys.

How can a culture of losing be developing after a 10-6 season and one preseason game?

All in all, it was just one preseason game, and there's not a lot you can conclude based off it. Wait until regular season rolls around.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #720 on: August 09, 2014, 05:20:05 PM »
Oh no......
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #721 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:01 PM »
Things I saw:

- Jordan Matthews didn't impress me.  The Eagles should worry that he is a draft bust.

- Sanchez showed a little more poise than Foles.  I think we might see Sanchez starting this year.

- The Eagles special teams made some big plays.  Look for them to be the best unit in the league this year.

- The Eagles didn't pull off a successful two minute drill at the end.  While the starters weren't playing, we should be concerned that a culture of losing is developing in the locker room.

Emperor Kelly might have no clothes.  Are we sure he can make magic happen twice in a row?

Not bad.  I'll give you a 7/10 for the solid shtick. :tup :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #722 on: August 10, 2014, 03:59:06 AM »
Things I saw:

Do you understand preseason?  TB's read seemed more in line with a real preseason game.

Your reads would be more valid after a Week 1 regular season game.  Maybe.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #723 on: August 10, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
I think he was being sarcastic  :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »
The thing is, ReaP is so serious about his sports it's hard to tell. :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #725 on: August 10, 2014, 03:15:19 PM »
*shrugs*

• DT.net Member
« Reply #726 on: August 10, 2014, 03:22:42 PM »
not drugs

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #727 on: August 10, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
I know it's just preseason, but seeing the Broncos beat the Seahawks was nice…  :D I'm going to see the Broncos take on the Chiefs at Mile High in September, can't wait  :metal

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #728 on: August 12, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »
Orlando Scandrick suspended four games for using MDMA.  Here's the obligatory, but apparently still necessary, article comparing it to the Ray Rice suspension.  A lot of other comparisons are made to other suspensions showing how wrong this is.

It's an old story at this point, but I swear it's even less comprehensible now than it was when it happened.
Over and over again

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:23 AM »
At least he admitted to using the drug recreationally.  You dont hear that very often, but I'll never understand why people do molly.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #730 on: August 13, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
At least he admitted to using the drug recreationally.  You dont hear that very often, but I'll never understand why people do molly.
Because it's fun.

That aside, what I don't get is why it's a PED. While it is partly an amphetamine, I'm not sure how that effects performance while vacationing in Mexico in the middle of April. If it doesn't happen during the season then it should probably be treated about the same as grass, which wouldn't have resulted in the suspension. 
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: August 13, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
Because it's fun.

That aside, what I don't get is why it's a PED. While it is partly an amphetamine, I'm not sure how that effects performance while vacationing in Mexico in the middle of April. If it doesn't happen during the season then it should probably be treated about the same as grass, which wouldn't have resulted in the suspension.

I think someone commenter on a website stated, "it would make an interception dance better"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #732 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
Anyone else watching Hard Knocks?  It's the Atlanta Falcons this year.

2 episodes in, I'm kind of bored. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: August 13, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
I havent watched, but being that its the same thing every year, the show can be very boring.  There isnt anything juicy with the Falcons to make this years show stand out.  No controversy surrounding that team or players who make you want to watch if you arent a falcons fan.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #734 on: August 13, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Anyone else watching Hard Knocks?  It's the Atlanta Falcons this year.

2 episodes in, I'm kind of bored.

Considering it's the Falcons, you've more than gotten your money's worth if you're only kind of boreed.