Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283680 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Jordy Nelson Lays the Pipe on the Packers
« Reply #665 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
I'd have no problem with Sharpe making it, although WRs practically have to give up their first born to get in :lol, but it's notable that Sharpe didn't pile up nearly the postseason resume that Davis did.  Sharpe was great in both postseason games he played in following the 1994 season, but he never won a ring, was never the Super Bowl MVP, was never MVP of the regular season, never hit a milestone achievement like 2,000 yards, etc.  :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #666 on: August 02, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
He wasn't made of glass.  He got hurt early in 1999 when his knee got rolled up on chasing a defender after an INT and he was never the same after that.
I'm not trying to argue that he was made of glass, although it does seem that he lacked durability, but you're understating things. The INT return was an ACL/MCL injury, which is not a career ender (even back then). In 2000 it was a leg injury. In 2001 he had arthroscopic surgery on both knees, not just the previously injured one.

Okay, but it's impossible to know if those other injuries were the result of the first one.  Like, a player favors one side after hurting the other, and before you know it, they've hurt that one, too.  It's not that uncommon for that to happen.  I mean, he was healthy as a horse his first 4+ years in the league, so if he was made of glass, why did the injury problems not happened during any of those years, yet suddenly creep up the minute he got hit with a freak injury (the shredded knee in '99)?
Lack of durability. Honestly, Kev, wouldn't you almost have to consider the ability to play more than 4 seasons a characteristic of a world class running back?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #667 on: August 02, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
He played seven seasons.  Sure, the last three were riddled with injuries and he only played 17 games in those three seasons, but he still played seven seasons.  Adrian Peterson has only played a full 16 games in three of his seven seasons; if he retired today, would we dock him for that? 

Also, Davis played 10 more games than Gale Sayers played, not counting the playoffs.  Just saying...

And for the record, I do not think he is a no-brain Hall of Famer, ala those other RBs I mentioned.  I just think he should be getting way more consideration than he has been getting.  The fact that Bettis gets further in the voting every year than him is an absolute joke, if nothing else. :censored
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:19:28 PM by KevShmev »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: August 02, 2014, 02:10:40 PM »
:iagree:

I think we're in violent agreement on our collective opinions of the situation. He should be getting more consideration, but it's understandable why he isn't.  It's not really fair, but it's understandable.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #669 on: August 02, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
I wonder when Bobby Hebert will get his due.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2014, 04:55:38 AM »
Me too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cable

« Reply #671 on: August 03, 2014, 06:35:09 AM »
I don't put much stock in the PF HoF due to the offensive skill position bias. It has gotten maybe a little better.

If we had a CB who played six years, dominated the league for four of them, led the league in INTs during two of them, and won a defensive MVP, would there be a debate for him for the PF HoF? Any position outside of QB,RB or WR needs a huge career of prolonged success I feel more often than not.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #672 on: August 03, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »
:iagree:

I think we're in violent agreement on our collective opinions of the situation. He should be getting more consideration, but it's understandable why he isn't.  It's not really fair, but it's understandable.

:hat

And Rodney Peete.

I don't put much stock in the PF HoF due to the offensive skill position bias. It has gotten maybe a little better.

If we had a CB who played six years, dominated the league for four of them, led the league in INTs during two of them, and won a defensive MVP, would there be a debate for him for the PF HoF? Any position outside of QB,RB or WR needs a huge career of prolonged success I feel more often than not.

Eh? WRs practically have to give up their first born to get in, and even then, it takes years for deserving WRs to make it.  I mean, how in the hell does Marvin Harrison not make it in his first year of eligibility??

And shall I point out Terrell Davis again?  If there was this bias for skill position players, he'd be in already. 

Offline Cable

« Reply #673 on: August 03, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
That's my exact point with my example; if a CB, or a WR as you say (Sterling Sharpe) had a similar career as Davis, this wouldn't be a conversation, they just would not even be considered.

I may be off about WRs, but then again, there is Lynn Swann. My overall point is that offense players are over-represented vs. other positions, considering the ratio of players on a team. So my overall respect for the HoF's process is not very high, and Terrell Davis being considered is a prime example.

---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #674 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
I suppose.  Regarding Swann, I think he only get in eventually because he was considered a core player on a dynasty that won four championships.  Same for Terry Bradshaw.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #675 on: August 03, 2014, 11:29:47 PM »
Brett Favre will be inducted in the Packers Hall of Fame in 2015, and have his jersey, #4, retired  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #676 on: August 04, 2014, 05:32:03 AM »
So the Pats head down to Washington to practice all week with the Redskins before their 1st preseason game Thursday.  I really like that the last few years the Pats have done this.  Good completion early for the guys.

Funny though.  I never watch a full preseason game ever even though I'm a football nut.  Hell!  I never watch the last preseason game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #677 on: August 04, 2014, 06:14:15 AM »
I never watch a full preseason game ever even though I'm a football nut.  Hell!  I never watch the last preseason game.

If I could watch them live I probably would but the Packer's games are mostly late here (around 2 AM), no way I'm staying up that late. Keeping myself from checking the score until I get 2-3 hours to watch the game a couple of days later is just way too much work for pre-season, so I will probably just watch the highlights.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #678 on: August 04, 2014, 06:14:34 AM »
There's never a good reason to watch preseason.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #679 on: August 04, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
There's never a good reason to watch preseason.
If I could catch Pat's preseason I probably would, just so I could get a better read on the young guys. Huh, might look into that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #680 on: August 04, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
I usually watch quite a bit of the 2nd to last week of games, although I won't go out of my way to do so, but other than that, I don't watch much.  I pay more attention to player reports so I can get a handle on what players are looking good for the purposes of fantasy football. :biggrin:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #681 on: August 04, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »
Bengals sign Andy Dalton to a six year 115 million dollar extension.

Unrelated, multiple members of their front office were arrested for crack cocaine possession.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:52:38 AM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #682 on: August 04, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
The first week of preseason I watch as much as I can, because it's football.

The second week, I just catch the Panthers game.

The third week, I watch as much as I can, because that is the week of preseason that starters normally play the most.  So it's almost real.

The fourth week, I just catch the Panthers game.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: August 04, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
Giants fan, but I think I watched about 5 minutes of the game last night.  I usually only watch some of the 3rd game because that is the game that has the starters play the most and is usually the best example of both teams playing a real game.  However, I dont give a crap about preseason and its only exciting because it IS football and the first of it for the year.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #684 on: August 04, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
I'm surprised you guys think of preseason as Football.  To me it's glorified training camp.
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: August 04, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
I'm surprised you guys think of preseason as Football.  To me it's glorified training camp.

Well they do play a full game with legit rules and even worse, charge you like a normal game for tickets.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #686 on: August 04, 2014, 04:34:03 PM »
Oh it's not football, but if you follow a team glorified training camp is an alright thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #687 on: August 04, 2014, 06:25:30 PM »

Well they do play a full game with legit rules and even worse, charge you like a normal game for tickets.

It doesn't count for anything, so it's a practice.  And when it comes to being charged, that's why it's glorified training camp.

Oh it's not football, but if you follow a team glorified training camp is an alright thing.

I paid attention to a couple Boston Celtics pre-seasons, including watching a bit, and it was a terrible experience.  Lots of meaningless speculation and unreasonable expectations.  I like the Eagles, but god forbid I see Jordan Matthews do some really exciting stuff and then flames out of the league.  Being a sports fan is tumultuous enough as it is.
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: August 04, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »
The first week of preseason I watch as much as I can, because it's football.

The second week, I just catch the Panthers game.

The third week, I watch as much as I can, because that is the week of preseason that starters normally play the most.  So it's almost real.

The fourth week, I just catch the Panthers game.

This, except for my beloved Ravens in my case.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #689 on: August 04, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
Bengals sign Andy Dalton to a six year 115 million dollar extension.

Unrelated, multiple members of their front office were arrested for crack cocaine possession.

That deal is laughable, and even worse than the one Flacco got last year.  At least Flacco was coming off his lighting in a bottle playoff run; Dalton has sucked ass in every playoff game.  He is the prime example of a guy who has done well mainly because of the talent around him.  He's not a bum, but he's not that good either.

I think most of us seeing preseason as "the real games are less than a month away!!!!" Woohoo. :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #690 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »
I can watch a the first quarter in the first few games.  The 3rd game for 3 quarters and the 4th game, I'M OUT JERRY!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #691 on: August 04, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
I usually watch the first quarter and then it's not interesting because there is nothing on the line. Obviously wanna see how the starters and maybe some relevant backups are doing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:55 AM »

It doesn't count for anything, so it's a practice.  And when it comes to being charged, that's why it's glorified training camp.

Just because it doesnt count for anything doesnt mean it isnt a football game.  Obviously the reality is that its a glorified training camp due to the fact that the teams are determining who to cut, but its still a legit football game.  College bowl games dont count for anything, but they are still football games.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #693 on: August 05, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »
Just because it doesnt count for anything doesnt mean it isnt a football game.  Obviously the reality is that its a glorified training camp due to the fact that the teams are determining who to cut, but its still a legit football game.  College bowl games dont count for anything, but they are still football games.

Bowl games at least have status and prestige attached to them.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #694 on: August 05, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »
Reap, I don't understand the sheer hatred and contempt you appear to have for the pre-season games.  They are just preparation for the regular season, glorified scrimmages.  They are great tools for coaching staffs to evaluate how new talent will play and react against new competition.  They are also useful for the refs to get into form, and they are early opportunities for fans to see the teams they love.  The only negative I see is the ticket prices that are normally charged for them.

Why the hate?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #695 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »
I don't hate preseason.  It might be a bit too long.  I worry about the risk of players getting injured during it.  But I don't hate it.

I don't get though why anyone watches it who isn't a die hard sports junkie or a sportswriter of some kind.  If the reason is "Because I just want to see Football that badly," then I guess that's fine.  About 90% of what I do in my real life is logically indefensible.  I can't fault anyone for doing what feels good.
Over and over again

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: August 05, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
  It might be a bit too long.

This.  They could cut the preseason in half and I think that would be fine, at least cut one game for sure.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #697 on: August 06, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
(deleted, wrong forum)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:31:06 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #698 on: August 08, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »
So..... I'm going to a friend's house tonight to watch preseason.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #699 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
lol

I'm actually looking forward to the Panthers game tonight.