Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259967 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3185 on: July 31, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »
^ That's pretty neat.
TNG falls into the same dilemma that every futuristic show/movie falls in, the hair styles that easily bounds them to the production era, the reason I mention this is that I kinda thought they've successfully evaded that problem until Riker and Crusher showed up, before they got on the ship there was only Yar and Picard and both of them had a hair -or lack of- that can belong in any era. As soon as Riker and Crusher showed up and we saw Farpoint station, I was hit in the face with the late 80's heh
This isn't of course specific to TNG, as I said it's a standard dilemma for all futuristic works, except Back to The Future maybe, where they just went with too crazy with the hairstyles that I couldn't connect to any era, that was clever IMO.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3186 on: July 31, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
Could have been much worse.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3187 on: July 31, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
Can we get a music video of Geordi doing Soul Glow?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3188 on: July 31, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Holy helll!!!!!!   :rollin  :rollin  :rollin
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3189 on: July 31, 2016, 03:41:04 PM »
" Shades of Gray "

" He's reliving memories ! It's a natural side of effect of stimulation ! "

You mean a writers strike :biggrin:

I actually really like that episode where Riker thinks he's been in a coma for 16 years and he's now Captain of the Enterprise.

He knows something is wrong when that alien thought that Minuet was a real person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3190 on: July 31, 2016, 10:37:10 PM »
" Shades of Gray "

" He's reliving memories ! It's a natural side of effect of stimulation ! "

You mean a writers strike :biggrin:

I actually really like that episode where Riker thinks he's been in a coma for 16 years and he's now Captain of the Enterprise.

He knows something is wrong when that alien thought that Minuet was a real person.

And I knew something was wrong when I saw a clip of Riker without the beard. :lol
The only consolation is knowing it improves dramatically after that episode.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3191 on: August 01, 2016, 02:00:05 AM »
That picture of Geordi actually is more in tune with his loser character.  Here's a guy whose only friends are a annoying bully bait kid and a emotionally redunant robot, also Geordi when he's round women he 'likes' goes full on creepy stalker mode - see Leah Brahms. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3192 on: August 01, 2016, 04:56:05 AM »
That picture of Geordi had the chorus from Michael Jackson's Beat It stuck in my head all day..

I'm 3 episodes into TNG, early impressions:
- The crew takes a bit of getting used to, none of them were instantly likable for me, unlike TOS where Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty were all hits from the get go for me.
- The show running and handling in general is tolerable so far, which says a lot since I'm a firm believer that good TV was made before the 80's and then after the mid 00's, excluding comedy of course.
- I like Patrick Stewart a lot, I know him as professor Xavier from the X-Men movies, Sejanus from I, Claudius and as CIA Deputy Director Bullock on American Dad, the latter being more recent and on-going, so on the first episode when his voice-over for the intro starts I kinda chuckled cause I thought of Bullock, it didn't help that Bullock called Stan Smith "number one" in a couple of American Dad episodes, but now I know where that came from :lol
- Patrick Stewart is too British to be French and it doesn't seem like he's putting much effort into being French on the show, so I guess I can try to forget that he's supposed to be.
- Geordi, Riker, Worf and Data are the characters I found interesting and could potentially have some story lines that I'd find cool.
- Troi and Yar, not so much.
- Crusher and Wesley, not at all.
- It really sucks that there are children on the ship, it takes away from the sense of danger they're suppose to have in exploring space.
- Data seems to be their way of having Spock around for this show without having another Vulcan on the bridge, he's not exactly like Spock of course but it feels like he was created to give the same impression.
- This is probably just me but it feels like that exposition dialogues on this show are sometimes too quick for how complicated they are, contrary to TOS where they usually eased you into the problem in a more relaxed fashion. On TNG I found myself rewinding a couple of times to catch details.
- I hope they explore Worf's backstory at some point, I'm curious to know if the Klingon empire has joined the federation or if he's some sort of rouge agent of his species.
Glad to have so much binge-ing ahead, I'll probably finish the first season then go back to finish TOS.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3193 on: August 01, 2016, 06:09:45 AM »
Can we get a music video of Geordi doing Soul Glow?

I'd make fun of him but my mullet from the 80's is holding me back. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3194 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
That picture of Geordi had the chorus from Michael Jackson's Beat It stuck in my head all day..

I'm 3 episodes into TNG, early impressions:
- The crew takes a bit of getting used to, none of them were instantly likable for me, unlike TOS where Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty were all hits from the get go for me.
- The show running and handling in general is tolerable so far, which says a lot since I'm a firm believer that good TV was made before the 80's and then after the mid 00's, excluding comedy of course.
- I like Patrick Stewart a lot, I know him as professor Xavier from the X-Men movies, Sejanus from I, Claudius and as CIA Deputy Director Bullock on American Dad, the latter being more recent and on-going, so on the first episode when his voice-over for the intro starts I kinda chuckled cause I thought of Bullock, it didn't help that Bullock called Stan Smith "number one" in a couple of American Dad episodes, but now I know where that came from :lol
- Patrick Stewart is too British to be French and it doesn't seem like he's putting much effort into being French on the show, so I guess I can try to forget that he's supposed to be.
- Geordi, Riker, Worf and Data are the characters I found interesting and could potentially have some story lines that I'd find cool.
- Troi and Yar, not so much.
- Crusher and Wesley, not at all.
- It really sucks that there are children on the ship, it takes away from the sense of danger they're suppose to have in exploring space.
- Data seems to be their way of having Spock around for this show without having another Vulcan on the bridge, he's not exactly like Spock of course but it feels like he was created to give the same impression.
- This is probably just me but it feels like that exposition dialogues on this show are sometimes too quick for how complicated they are, contrary to TOS where they usually eased you into the problem in a more relaxed fashion. On TNG I found myself rewinding a couple of times to catch details.
- I hope they explore Worf's backstory at some point, I'm curious to know if the Klingon empire has joined the federation or if he's some sort of rouge agent of his species.
Glad to have so much binge-ing ahead, I'll probably finish the first season then go back to finish TOS.
Pretty good assessments. Worf will get more exposition than any of them, but for the first couple of seasons he's a throwaway character (and a pretty crappy Klingon). He's the one character that moves on to Deep Space 9 once TNG wraps up, and the importance of him and the Klingons really can't be understated.

Data will become far less annoying and is eventually a very good character. Something I never understood was why he had, what, 18 years of star fleet experience, but behaves in the first season of TNG like they just found him in a cave yesterady. His "emotional" development goes from 1-5 in the first 18 years and then from 5-100 in the next 2. Presumably he'd been a dishwasher or something on all of his previous assignments.

Patrick Stewart settles into the role nicely in the second season. He always seemed a little to excited in the first one.

The biggest problem for me, as has been discussed here quite a bit, is that Gene Roddenberry's picture of future humans is really boring. They have no soul. They don't get angry. They don't drink. They don't get laid. I hated him at first, but Riker is the one exception to that. He's actually a halfway normal guy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3195 on: August 01, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
I think in the 24th century earth - you can be *from* France but there's no longer any need for passports and you can get around lickety split. It's all just "Earth". Therefore it's easier to live where you want and to move around a lot. 

With this in mind - it could explain why Picard was born French but sound English.

Also he could have grown up in England.

We don't really know Picards backstory.

Online Adami

« Reply #3196 on: August 01, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
I think in the 24th century earth - you can be *from* France but there's no longer any need for passports and you can get around lickety split. It's all just "Earth". Therefore it's easier to live where you want and to move around a lot. 

With this in mind - it could explain why Picard was born French but sound English.

We don't really know Picards backstory.

He grew up in France. It was pretty explained in that episode when he goes home.

Still think it's a silly issue to have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3197 on: August 01, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
I think it's a pretty easy thing to ignore given it's the future where they can just transport wherever, whenever. Accents and regions evolve all the time.

There's a video where Patrick Stewart tells about how when he was auditioning, they got him to try a French accent. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: August 01, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
I think it's a pretty easy thing to ignore given it's the future where they can just transport wherever, whenever. Accents and regions evolve all the time.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: August 01, 2016, 04:25:01 PM »
Data will become far less annoying and is eventually a very good character. Something I never understood was why he had, what, 18 years of star fleet experience, but behaves in the first season of TNG like they just found him in a cave yesterady. His "emotional" development goes from 1-5 in the first 18 years and then from 5-100 in the next 2. Presumably he'd been a dishwasher or something on all of his previous assignments.

Haha yeah, his behavior actually made me think he was fresh out of the wrapper, made special for the new Enterprise.
That mental image of Data as a dishwasher though heh, getting the news he'll finally be assigned to a ships bridge after 18 years of dish washing assignments :lol
You know I couldn't believe the actor is the area 51 scientist from Independence Day, he didn't age so well.

The biggest problem for me, as has been discussed here quite a bit, is that Gene Roddenberry's picture of future humans is really boring. They have no soul. They don't get angry. They don't drink. They don't get laid.

Well most humans we see on the show are either military officers or have to deal with military officers at their jobs, that could be one reason they seem so bland sometimes, that's how I saw it anyway.
TOS human crew drank on episodes that had shore leave though, like on Wolf in the Fold where it was also implied that Scotty was taking the dancer away to sleep with her.

It's not just the accent, it's not the main thing I had in mind, it's how he carries himself and his general aura, he's super British IMO. But that's not really an "issue", it's just seemed odd to me to create a French character and chose someone like Stewart to play it.

I forgot to point out that was cool to see McCoy in that guest spot, a 137 years old! Bit of a spoiler now that I know he survives TOS and all the movies but that was probable anyway.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: August 01, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »

You know I couldn't believe the actor is the area 51 scientist from Independence Day, he didn't age so well.

Brent Spiner looks fine IRL for a 67 year old.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3201 on: August 01, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
The biggest problem for me, as has been discussed here quite a bit, is that Gene Roddenberry's picture of future humans is really boring. They have no soul. They don't get angry. They don't drink. They don't get laid.

Well most humans we see on the show are either military officers or have to deal with military officers at their jobs, that could be one reason they seem so bland sometimes, that's how I saw it anyway.
TOS human crew drank on episodes that had shore leave though, like on Wolf in the Fold where it was also implied that Scotty was taking the dancer away to sleep with her.
I was referring to the TNG crew. The TOS characters had a great deal of personality and all of the normal vices. They drank, caroused, got into fights, picked up chicks, etc. Later on Roddenberry apparently decided that humanity would be a paragon of virtue. Riker enjoys that sort of thing somewhat, but the rest of them are all pretty uptight.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3202 on: August 01, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
I don't see how that's a bad thing In and of itself.

When I watch TNG - my immediate thought isn't - Hang On....Nobody is getting drunk.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3203 on: August 01, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »
I don't see how that's a bad thing In and of itself.

When I watch TNG - my immediate thought isn't - Hang On....Nobody is getting drunk.

Nor is mine. I do often think that they're pretty milquetoast, boring people, bereft of life, though. I don't expect them to be hedonistic party animals; that would be silly. It'd be nice if they had some character, and even a flaw or two, though.

And on a related note, I hadn't noticed until recently that after Famke Janssen put the moves on Riker, he immediately left for the holodeck, presumably to get laid. Can't think of any other humans that actually availed themselves of that luxury. Quark's was practically a whorehouse, but only for non-humans. Presumably mankind has "evolved beyond the point of such prurient interests."
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: August 01, 2016, 05:06:39 PM »
TIL milquetoast.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3205 on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
Wow...I don't see that at all.   Troi had affairs....Krusher had an affair....Picard had an affair.  The Naked Now?   Wesley nearly got it on a couple of times.   Geordi got it on in the holodeck.   

etc...etc...   I mean, sure it's not prevalent and every episode or anything, but how many episodes do you want that to be the focus on?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3206 on: August 01, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »
Candles don't count.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3207 on: August 02, 2016, 01:08:50 AM »

[/quote]I was referring to the TNG crew. The TOS characters had a great deal of personality and all of the normal vices. They drank, caroused, got into fights, picked up chicks, etc. Later on Roddenberry apparently decided that humanity would be a paragon of virtue. Riker enjoys that sort of thing somewhat, but the rest of them are all pretty uptight.
[/quote]

When you watch 'Lower Decks' you begin to realise what a total prick Riker would be to work under :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:51:46 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3208 on: August 02, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »
Dr. Crusher reminds me of Kay Parker, except she's not hot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3209 on: August 02, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
Googles.....

...You're right. Kay Parker is definitely not hot.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: August 02, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Unworthy reply, human :hat

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3211 on: August 02, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
So, apparently the new ST show, Discovery, is going to be set BEFORE the original series.

Thoughts?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3212 on: August 02, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
That doesn't sound good at all IMO, but I'm gonna check it out anyway.

Online Adami

« Reply #3213 on: August 02, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
So, apparently the new ST show, Discovery, is going to be set BEFORE the original series.

Thoughts?

Sounds dumb. But we'll see. I like Enterprise more than most. But if their ships look like Apple stores, I'm out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
I HATE WHEN MY FUTURISTIC TV SHOWS LOOK FUTURISTIC !!!

I DEMAND MOTHER FUCKING CARDBOARD AND FAIRY LIGHTS

Online Adami

« Reply #3215 on: August 02, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
I HATE WHEN MY FUTURISTIC TV SHOWS LOOK FUTURISTIC !!!

I DEMAND MOTHER FUCKING CARDBOARD AND FAIRY LIGHTS

Exactly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3216 on: August 02, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Especially when flying a spaceship should look dumbed down. *sarcasm off*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3217 on: August 02, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
Seems like an odd choice, considering the problems Enterprise ran into. The ear between TOS and TNG would have been a better choice.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: August 02, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
I do agree with that. Lots of time (stardates) to play with.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3219 on: August 02, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
Yeah set before Kirk's time there's so much more that they can't do.

PLUS *nobody* from any series can guest star unless it's set 12 years after Enterprise then the cast will have aged the correct amount.

Sigh.