Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259155 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1400 on: July 27, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
Lwaxana's best episodes were on DS9. She was actually tolerable there and she had some good chemistry with Odo. The episode where she's going through Betazoid menopause and causing the rest of the crew to fall in love with each other was actually... fairly funny.  :lol

I never found her hot on TNG either. She didn't look bad as Number One on TOS though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1401 on: July 27, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
All time #1 ST "hawt chick" for me would have to be Dr Leah Brahms.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1402 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
Lwaxana's best episodes were on DS9. She was actually tolerable there and she had some good chemistry with Odo.

For sure. They were actually pretty decent episodes, and they gave her character a bit more depth. I just found her annoying in TNG.

And sexy is never a word I would use to describe her either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1403 on: July 27, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »
Which leads me to the Playboy, Teri Garr photo shoot that of course I saw as a teen.  Like I didn't know where my dad's playboys were stashed.
Teri Garr was never in Playboy. You thinking of Goldie Hahn, perhaps?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1404 on: July 27, 2014, 09:51:23 AM »
Lwaxana's best episodes were on DS9. She was actually tolerable there and she had some good chemistry with Odo.

For sure. They were actually pretty decent episodes, and they gave her character a bit more depth. I just found her annoying in TNG.

This is probably way off topic, but you understand that there are really attractive women who aren't sexy, and there are VERY UNATTRACTIVE women who are sexy.    Pretty/attractive is completely and totally different than sexy. 

Sexy involves a way of carrying oneself...a confidence...and a host of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with physical attraction or beauty.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: July 27, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »

This is probably way off topic, but you understand that there are really attractive women who aren't sexy, and there are VERY UNATTRACTIVE women who are sexy.    Pretty/attractive is completely and totally different than sexy. 

Sexy involves a way of carrying oneself...a confidence...and a host of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with physical attraction or beauty.

Sure I get that, I just didn't find her sexy, nor does anyone else in this thread apparently, so she's all yours for the taking! (hypothetically speaking of course, since that was 20 years ago and she's no longer alive, sadly)
She certainly had confidence, and I could see how someone might find that sexy, but I don't personally think her confidence bordered on sexy in any way.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1406 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
I'll chime in and support Lwaxana Troi as being sexy.  I don't find her attractive, and her character was quite obnoxious, but she was definitely sexy.  In general, most women who are one (according to any given person's taste) is also the other, but they're distinct attributes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: July 27, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
I never had a problem with Lwaxana. She was written to be annoying. That was her character.

She wasn't like Brent Spiner in real life annoying. That's who he is.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1408 on: July 27, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
I think if you guys used the word "sensual", I would agree.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1409 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
Which leads me to the Playboy, Teri Garr photo shoot that of course I saw as a teen.  Like I didn't know where my dad's playboys were stashed.

Not naked but in sexy lingerie and an interview.  For a teen, that was enough.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1410 on: July 27, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »

Honestly, for a teen, a stick figure with giant boobs was usually enough.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1411 on: July 27, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
You mean Jeri Ryan?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1412 on: July 27, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »

Looks like Teri Garr did a 20 questions for Playboy. Coincidentally the same issue with Denise Crosby. Can't find any pictures.

Jeri Ryan doesn't ever come close to nudity. From what I can tell she's actually a fairly uptight young lady.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: July 27, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
Besides, It's Playboy, where you had to use your imagination.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1414 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
Was just watching TMP. Man, Nichelle Nichols has humongous boobs in that movie, wtf.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: August 06, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »
A Cheron Kitty.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:39 AM »
Those things are weird. You'd expect the DNA to mix up the two pairings randomly - not neatly right down the middle.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: August 06, 2014, 06:43:17 AM »
I know, I saw the kittens as well.  Crazy but of course all I saw was Frenk Gorshin. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: August 06, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »
I'd love one of those. But i'd also love a Sphynx because they're different and look cool. Almost like aliens - which is appealing to me :p

I love how their ears and eyes are extra large.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: August 06, 2014, 06:49:30 AM »
Craaaaaaazy money there.  Crazy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1420 on: August 06, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »
All the Sphynx owners on Instagram keep them indoors at all times and only let them out on a lead / leash.

Plus they buy them the best food they can buy etc etc.

Yeah they're a bit of a money pit. So i'd never own one. I'd like to see one in person though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:56 AM »
Anyway - I'd love for Bob Orci to pull a GREAT Star Trek movie out of his hat and prove everyone wrong.

I'll probably love it anyway - I loved Into Darkness :dunno:

Karl Urban revealed recently that he's very excited about the direction theyre taking - and he's a proper trekkie so maybe they're doing something closer to

the TV show than the last two movies. Orci is a trekkie after all. JJ never was.

I think when all is said and done - the three Bad Robot Star Trek prequels will be vastly superior to the Lucasfilm Star Wars prequels.

( yea I know that's not exactly difficult :p )

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: August 06, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
I did like Episode III a lot but the other 2 were not good.

Well, like I've said before, if they came out to the norm for Star Trek Movies it would have failed again.  They came out with a bombastic style of movies and that brought new crowds in.  For the older Trek fans, they need to capitalize now and come out with another TV show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: August 06, 2014, 07:16:20 AM »
I think when all is said and done - the three Bad Robot Star Trek prequels will be vastly superior to the Lucasfilm Star Wars prequels.

( yea I know that's not exactly difficult :p )

Yeah, that's like smelling better than a decomposed corpse in a dumpster full of pissed off skunks. Even shit would smell good by comparison. :P

And I'm sure JJ's Star Wars movies will be vastly superior to his Star Trek movies. Again, not exactly difficult. :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1424 on: August 24, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
The Wrath Of Khan is easily my favourite movie score of all time.

Second would be Back To The Future trilogy and third probably Inception.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
Posted today on Takei's FB page:

https://lockerdome.com/tre/6170042811288129/6890797111052306

I saw that on some Doc and us geeks sometimes forget they are real people.  A great honest moment in Star Trek history.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: August 24, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
Posted today on Takei's FB page:

https://lockerdome.com/tre/6170042811288129/6890797111052306

I saw that on some Doc and us geeks sometimes forget they are real people.  A great honest moment in Star Trek history.

Doohan > > > > > Pegg by a f---ing long way.

Chris Doohan > > > Pegg too.

Chris follows me on twitter and isn't the type of twitter celeb who only tweets his celeb mates and ignores everyone else except to insult them like some people I could mention...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1428 on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
I've got nothing but respect (lot's of it, in fact) for Jimmy Doohan. By all accounts a great guy and significant baddass back in the day. Still, is it really a suicide note when you send it snail-mail to some actor? I mean, how long do you wait for a reply? What if he's filming somewhere? Seems to me like if she's waiting to hear back, pretty much all he's got to do is not tell her to "just do it already" and the problem pretty much solves itself.

I'd still consider it a fine thing since it was obviously quite meaningful to them both, but a little overdramatic, honestly.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: August 24, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
I think it's hard to play such a character as Montgomery Scott.  It's more of a caricature of a caricature.  Though the same could be said for most of the main cast.  They are iconic characters and hard to deviate from those cartoonish roles.

Edit : Bart, while i agree with you, we don't know the personally how that made him feel that the person did respond back.  It was a letter and could he have done more at the time?  Yeah.  but if I had been contacted years latter in the fashion he did, I would have been overwhelmed that I had that kind of impact.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1430 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
Eh, I just re-read it and I didn't catch the first time that he called her on the phone. That's different. That's really reaching out to her. I still don't think it's much of a suicide attempt when you send a letter to someone who might not get back to you for weeks, but it does mean he established more of a relationship with her when she seemed to need some sort of help. Like I said, a great guy regardless.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1431 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Doohan > > > > > Pegg by a f---ing long way.

Have to massively disagree here. IMHO, unlike Doohan, Pegg a) played a believable Scotsman and b) created a character that was a human being.
I mean, of course one can't really fault Doohan for the TOS scripts he was given; he was the comic relief in a lot of episodes. But even in the later movies he wasn't able to infuse his character with substance, and only "shone" in scenes like the "Hello Computer" one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
In Star Trek XI, Pegg was nothing but a punchline joke, like most of the characters. He was used well in Into Darkness though, especially given that he wasn't even on the Enterprise. Shame about the rest of the movie. :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: August 28, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
:bosk1:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: August 28, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
One of these things is not like the other!