Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256762 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1260 on: July 05, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
The next that aired, "Family" is also good, and is something of an epilogue to the amazing two-parter.  Jean-Luc takes some well-deserved time off and visits his brother and his brother's family on Earth, and he reaches a catharsis.  They made "family" the theme of the whole episode, so there's a few other interweaving stories (including a horrible Crusher subplot), but it's worth it for the Picard story.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1261 on: July 05, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
The original Borg as imagined in TNG were the ultimate enemy. Without morals, completely decentralized and thus almost impossible to kill off.
Bummer they compromised that concept for the movie.

There's a scene in part two I like where Picard/Locutus talks about how the Borg are trying to improve quality of life.  It does the smart thing and gives them a point of view (because no one thinks they're the bad guy), but that point of view makes them creepier.  To them, this is good?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1262 on: July 05, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »
They assimilate other species and cultures that they encounter, making their "species" stronger, comprised of the best of everything they know.  This is all done with an ultimate goal of sacrificing individuality to the betterment of the collective, but they are highly efficient and unfettered by emotion.  This can certainly be seen as "better" from a certain point of view.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1263 on: July 06, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »
They were just pinko Commie bastards in disguise!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1264 on: July 06, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
"Best of Both Worlds" remains my favorite piece of Star Trek ever.

Agreed.  I remember I first watched it in syndication - I had just started to get into TNG (real time) during Season 4, so the station I was watching Seasons 1-3 on at aired Part 1 on a Friday.  I had to wait all weekend to find out what was going to happen!!  I couldn't imagine waiting 4 months when it originally aired as the perfect season ending cliffhanger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1265 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Patrick Stewart said in an interview that that cliffhanger  was the worst, in the sense that people would recognize him at stop lights, pull down their windows and yell at him from their cars "what the hell, dude?!" :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: July 06, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
The Best of Both Worlds > First Contact.

All Good Things > Every TNG Movie.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1267 on: July 06, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
Seems about half of us were around at the time to see Best of Both Worlds actually as a cliffhanger, rather than just seen back to back. I honestly thought part two was a real letdown. It's not terrible or anything, but like several other TNG two-parters, the second half just fell flat for me. They never really manage to keep up the second half of cliffhangers.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1268 on: July 06, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
Agreed.  At the end of Part I, there's a real feeling of "Oh shit, what can possibly happen next?" which of course is the whole idea.  This is resolved in the first 30 seconds of Part II, and then it's on with the show.  As you said, it's not terrible, but I think most of us were expecting a much bigger payoff than we got.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1269 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
Redemption was kind of similar. You had the whole Klingon civil war going on, which was great, and Worf running off to actually act like a Klingon for a change. Part two you have Picard and Tasha Yar's daughter, and Data learning to be a captain. Again, I thought it was a perfectly good episode, and I always love Data being in command, but as a conclusion to part one it was a letdown. Then there's Time's Arrow which was great in part one, and absolutely dreadful in pt 2. Descent was an exception in that it just sucked ass from beginning to end.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1270 on: July 07, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »

I'd say All Good Things was better than all but First Contact, but it's not movie material. The Best of Both Worlds was great, but I'd give the edge to First Contact. Had TBOBW been done as a movie instead though, I think it definitely could/would have been better than all of them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1271 on: July 07, 2014, 12:28:28 AM »
Redemption was kind of similar. You had the whole Klingon civil war going on, which was great, and Worf running off to actually act like a Klingon for a change. Part two you have Picard and Tasha Yar's daughter, and Data learning to be a captain. Again, I thought it was a perfectly good episode, and I always love Data being in command, but as a conclusion to part one it was a letdown. Then there's Time's Arrow which was great in part one, and absolutely dreadful in pt 2. Descent was an exception in that it just sucked ass from beginning to end.

I would say one sure exception was Chain of Command Pt. 2 The climactic scene with Picard and the Cardassian was so damn brilliant.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1272 on: July 07, 2014, 02:13:06 AM »
My Trek apprentice and I had a very nice Saturday with four great and diverse (drama, fun, treachery, action) DS9 episodes: The Visitor, Little Green Men, Homefront, Paradise Lost. I decided to throw in Star Trek First Contact next. It was about half a season too early in the timeline but without any real impact as she's just seen Worf in command of the Defiant in Paradise Lost. She liked the Borg episodes a lot so a TNG crew adventure and the Enterprise E were a welcome change in our list of DS9 episodes. She enjoyed the strong episodes and the movie a lot. On with the rest of DS9 S4 in five days.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1273 on: July 07, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »

I would say one sure exception was Chain of Command Pt. 2 The climactic scene with Picard and the Cardassian was so damn brilliant.

Chain Of Command Pt. 2 is quite possibly my favourite episode of Star Trek ever.  Just watching Stewart and Warner, two masters of the art of acting, playing off of each other like that is awe-inspiring.

That being said, because Chain Of Command was in the middle of a season rather then being a season finale/premier, it wasn't as much of a cliff hanger as it could have been.  It's one thing to have to wait a week, it's something else entirely to have to wait 4 months

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:49 AM »
All good things definitely tied everything up nicer than Nemesis did.

And it definitely had the scale and scope to be a movie.

I'm surprised they never had Q in a movie. They probably felt that after AGT that he was no longer needed and he *kind of* ended up as a good guy and

making him a bad guy again would be too much of a 180 or that having him in a movie would resolve any crisis in a jiffy.

Although - an interesting idea could have been if Q showed up to take the Enterprise to an area of space that not even the Q had visited because he's obviously so arrogant that he thinks he can solve anything in an instant - but then there is something there that takes away his powers and threatens the ship. You could have Q learning to actually act like a crewmember and become an actual valuable member of the team...

Then at the end when they resolve the problem - and Q's power returns he's learned way more about what it is to be human and blah blah.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1275 on: July 07, 2014, 06:11:32 AM »
^ ... Um, Deja Q??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: July 07, 2014, 06:13:12 AM »
Um... you could say the same for BOBW and First Contact ? !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: July 09, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
Watched STID again last night.

:dunno: I enjoy it. It's a fun movie. Nowhere near the disaster everyone makes it out to be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1278 on: July 10, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
It's a disaster.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1279 on: July 10, 2014, 05:53:47 AM »
I dug it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: July 10, 2014, 06:07:20 AM »
It's a disaster.

This forum is a disaster.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1281 on: July 10, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
It's a disaster.

This forum is a disaster.
Your mom's a disaster... in bed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
When you're old....yes.

Think of a product named Depends.  I await your facepalm.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1285 on: July 10, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »
They should have found a way to keep Captain Jelico around for a while. At that point in the show they were damned short of ideas, and the shakeup he brought would have really made it much more interesting. Even another 4 or 5 episodes would have been fine. Maybe pull a Crissy Snow and have him phone up each episode and say "my rehab is progressing fine. I expect to be back at the end of the 6th season, Number One."

Also, since when is Riker the best pilot on the ship and the only one capable of delicate flying?
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1286 on: July 10, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
I kinda liked Captain Jellico.  Yeah, he was a hardass and expected things done a certain way, but that's probably more common in the military than Picard's laid-back style.  For the drama, they made him a bit of a dick, but he'd come around a bit by the end.  If they'd figured out a way to bring him back, he could've been even less of a dick and it would've been fine, merely an extrapolation of the character.

And I share your WTF at Riker being the best pilot.  100% plot contrivance right there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: July 10, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1288 on: July 10, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
I kinda liked Captain Jellico.  Yeah, he was a hardass and expected things done a certain way, but that's probably more common in the military than Picard's laid-back style.  For the drama, they made him a bit of a dick, but he'd come around a bit by the end.  If they'd figured out a way to bring him back, he could've been even less of a dick and it would've been fine, merely an extrapolation of the character.

And I share your WTF at Riker being the best pilot.  100% plot contrivance right there.
At times he seemed like a pretty nice guy. When he first came aboard he was excited and jovial. The second time he met with the Kardies (after flipping out on them the first time) he seemed downright magnanimous (albeit for only a minute or two). Where I run into a problem is figuring out what to do about Riker. Data was the best possible XO he could hope for; they were made for each other. While the tension with Riker is part of what made it all work, I have a hard time putting all of the pieces together.

While the timing was off by a few months, he would have been an interesting commander of DS9. He would have been far more believable as outright resenting the whole emissary role, and he understood and despised the Kardassians. Would have made for an entirely different version of what we all agree was an awesome show, but it would have been damned interesting to see that play out. Besides which, Ronnie Cox is just far better than Avery Brooks. Brooks didn't become worth a damn until they turned him back into Hawk, which they were so adamantly opposed to from the beginning. Jelico was already most of the way there.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1289 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a time Ronnie Cox was ever not awesome.  I've always liked him (yes, even on "Apple's Way").

Jellico (two L's, dammit!) was clearly created to be like an anti-Picard.  Family guy, puts his kids' artwork on the walls, but a hardass on the bridge.  Picard was always chill, but didn't really open up to people.  It seemed so obvious that the more unlike Picard they made him, the more opportunites there would be for conflict and drama, which was pretty cheesy for them to do.  But that didn't mean he was a bad character.  The character itself was cool, largely due to Ronnie Cox being awesome.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1290 on: July 10, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a time Ronnie Cox was ever not awesome.  I've always liked him (yes, even on "Apple's Way").
There's a scene in Beverly Hills Cop that perfectly defines his character which is all on Ronnie Cox; they probably should have given him a writing credit for that one improvised bit. After Axl Foley conjures up the "alternate story" about how the titty-bar bust went down and the other two detectives fess up, Axl chastises them for "fucking up a perfectly good lie." Bogomil has to stifle a very slight chuckle while keeping up the authoritative demeanor. It establishes Bogomil as both a genuine hardass (which was already demonstrated), and a human enough guy to appreciate everything he just saw (I would have been rolling). My understanding is that was one of the bits that they improvised on set, and it perfectly explains why he can be a tyrant at work yet still the sort of guy that can get along well with a Foley-type maniac. All Ronnie Cox.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1291 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:26 PM »
That was a great scene.  Actually, pretty much every scene in the movie, but any with Bogomil.  He saw that Foley was a character and needed to be kept on a short leash, at least at first, but also saw that he had genuine skills and never put him down.  A good captain works with what he has, and Foley was an asset, not a liability.  I remember Bogomil being impressed that Foley knew about coffee grains when his own people didn't.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1292 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »

I can get behind this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1293 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »

I can get behind this.
I agree with both statements taken individually. However, where I have a problem is that in conjunction they suggest that FC isn't the best TNG movie. It was pretty crappy all things considered, but it was still the best of the lot. I enjoyed Insurrection more, but it also suffers the same faults and also doesn't really seem much like a movie. I think we all agree that it's just a 2 hour episode filmed with a bigger budget. FC seemed fitting of a big-screen and still had entertaining stuff going on, despite being pretty crappy ST (and introducing the damned Borg queen).
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: July 11, 2014, 05:20:03 AM »
Generations is the only one that *feels* like a movie to me.

Maybe Nemesis too but not as much.

And yeah - FC is great the first time you see it. I find it rather boring on repeated viewings - worse with Insurrection.

I always love generations.