Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259229 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #770 on: January 21, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
Nero, in my personal opinion, was not a Romulan.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #771 on: January 21, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »

He was Nosferatu. Those were not Romulans at all in that movie, they were JJ asserting his power over Trek by turning every race into generic goblins.
I don't think there's ever been a particularly good Romulan though.

For Klingons, I'm going with Martok. He was awesome. And Gorwon was cool too. I called him crazy eyes.
And Garak and Dukat were both standout characters. Dukat's replacement in later seasons was terrible though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #772 on: January 21, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
Hell, try naming your favorite Romulan.  :lol
That Romulan from The Defector.

What do you mean I can't remember his name? Shut up!

He was Nosferatu. Those were not Romulans at all in that movie, they were JJ asserting his power over Trek by turning every race into generic goblins.
I don't think there's ever been a particularly good Romulan though.

For Klingons, I'm going with Martok. He was awesome. And Gorwon was cool too. I called him crazy eyes.
And Garak and Dukat were both standout characters. Dukat's replacement in later seasons was terrible though.
Damar had a pretty awesome character arc though.

Favorite Klingon: Gowron or Chang
Favorite Cardassian: Dukat. I agree that the Cardassians tended to have a better supply of developed and interesting characters. Maybe it was more due to DS9's stationary setting, where the writers could more easily (and more frequently) bring in background characters and flesh them out.
Favorite Romulan: Defector Guy

Yeah Romulans get the short end of the stick, which is too bad as they were pretty good villains. TNG tried to establish them as a major, recurring villain but, for some reason, they just couldn't do it. Tomalak (sp?) was on the show too infrequently to be an effective, recurring character and the few times he was, none of that time was spent fleshing him out. As it is, he had villain-of-the-week syndrome, show up, threaten the cast and then, at the end, he would be shaking his fist and cursing about how would've gotten away with it all if it weren't for those 'sneaky Federation officers and their darn android.' It certainly didn't help that they were largely phased out around Season 4-ish which was too bad, as the Romulan and Klingon-heavy episodes leading up to the Klingon civil war and the Unification episodes were frequently some of the best. Oh well, poor Romulans.

As for Nero, he's less a character than a plot-device. It's kinda like calling the giant probe from Star Trek IV one of the best Trek villains. Eric Bana did well with what he had, but the role was so boring.  His job was to provide an element of danger and get the crew together, which he did, so kudos to Nero... I guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: January 21, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »
I just remembered who my favourite Romulan was-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #774 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
He was fine as a plot device, it's just that a Abrams needed to slap the label "Romulan" on the guy just so he could increase the Trekkiness of the movie, even though the guy had nothing to do with being Romulan really.

Then again, don't even get me started on Remans. What the fuck was that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
He was fine as a plot device, it's just that a Abrams needed to slap the label "Romulan" on the guy just so he could increase the Trekkiness of the movie, even though the guy had nothing to do with being Romulan really.

And substitute "Romulan" for "Khan" and it also applies to Into Darkness. :lol

When was the last time a Trek movie had a great bad guy anyway? Nu-Khan, Nero, Shinzon, the plastic surgery guys etc.
I saw TWOK on TV the other night, and Khan was just such a good bad guy that he's been the unreachable benchmark for over 30 years now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #776 on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

And substitute "Romulan" for "Khan" and it also applies to Into Darkness. :lol

When was the last time a Trek movie had a great bad guy anyway? Nu-Khan, Nero, Shinzon, the plastic surgery guys etc.
I saw TWOK on TV the other night, and Khan was just such a good bad guy that he's been the unreachable benchmark for over 30 years now.

The Borg Bitch?  Wait, you said "guy".

General Chang.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: January 21, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
The Borg Bitch?  Wait, you said "guy".

General Chang.

I wasn't going to mention the Borg Queen anyway, since she's a controversial one (although I was ok with it). So let's just go with Chang.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
Martok was a good Klingon; forgot about him. And I certainly considered the defector, but one episode doesn't usually make you a great character. I suppose that was the problem they always ran into. Just hard to explain why the same to guys keep running into each other while out exploring the galaxy. Still, with Romulan involvement in the Dominion war, it seems like they could have at least introduced somebody, or had one of the senators show up from time to time. I can only think of 2 Romulans that had multiple appearances on any of the shows. Tomalok, who was the pussiest Romulan they could have come up with, and Sela who was only there so they could bring ole whatshername back from time to time.

I think Kor might be my favorite Klingon. Not only was he the original, but he was both the typical bloodthirsty, honor-bound type, but he was also somewhat enlightened. Enjoyed partying and slaughtering equally. Well rounded character.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #779 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
What's interesting is how the most integral alien race associated with Star Trek, Vulcans, completely fell off the truck. A few TNG episodes that had them (if only to get a Nimoy cameo), but were there any Vulcans in DS9? Voyager finally brought one back, and ENT too I guess. But they always struck me as a forgotten race.

« Reply #780 on: January 21, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
What's interesting is how the most integral alien race associated with Star Trek, Vulcans, completely fell off the truck. A few TNG episodes that had them (if only to get a Nimoy cameo), but were there any Vulcans in DS9? Voyager finally brought one back, and ENT too I guess. But they always struck me as a forgotten race.
That douchebag Vulcan in the baseball episode. ;)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #781 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
Quark was hitting on one just yesterday (in my viewing schedule, that is). One of a pair of Vulcans operating with the Maquis. In the end they just kind of transformed into the aptly described intellectual puppets of the federation, I suppose. They really did just become humanity's lapdog.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »

Vulcans were relatively rare in DS9, and mostly mocked or treated as "bad" guys.
Voyager only had a couple, which was understandable given that they only had a finite crew (same with many other core races in the show), although Tuvok is one of my favourite Vulcans.
They were fairly integral in ENT, but again were put in a role where they were against the humans more than they seemed to be with them.
And then JJ had a laugh and killed most of them off, so I wouldn't expect them to get featured much in this alternate universe either.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #783 on: January 23, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »
Here's a random Star Trek observation: Did you ever notice that the two times they used a projector screen in a movie, each time the person had to repeat the command to turn it off?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »
Examples ?

I can only think of " viewer off ! " from The Motion Picture.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #785 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
And the Klingon who has to yell "Hold the image. Hold the image!"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: January 24, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »
How would everyone rank the performances in the JJ Abrams films compared to their original series counterparts ?

I think Karl Urban is the most like Bones and i can't imagine anyone else doing it better. Whilst Simon Pegg is just doing Simon Pegg with a vaguely Scots accent.

For all his talk of wanting to honour James Doohan - i think there's not a trace of Jimmy's Scotty in Pegg. Aside from occasionally drinking.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #787 on: January 24, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
I disagree. Pegg to me captures TOS Scotty quite well. It's just that Doohan's "movie Scotty" was so different from TOS Scotty. In fact, I never liked the movie Scotty, I think he's gimmicky. And fuck, at least Pegg has a real Scottish accent. Having met and conversed with quite a few Scots in my life, whatever Doohan is doing there has little to do with Scots.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #788 on: January 24, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
I agree.   Pegg's Scott is perfect.   The best thing about JJ's movies was the casting.    Even where there are differences from the originals, I feel like they nailed it.   Sulu and Uhura fall into that category. 

But as far as "most like the originals" I'd say.....

Bones
Kirk
Spock/Scotty (tie)

Sulu
Uhura

Chekov
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:30 AM »
The worst thing about Anton Yelchin is why is hair nothing at all like Koening ? They didn't have to give him identical hair but at least get it somewhere in the vicinity...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
Paris had the 3-d movie program in the holodeck. They also watched plenty of movies on ENT.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #791 on: January 24, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
The worst thing about Anton Yelchin is why is hair nothing at all like Koening ? They didn't have to give him identical hair but at least get it somewhere in the vicinity...

Of the main characters, only Spock's hair looks anything like the original cast's.  Maybe also Bones'.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: January 24, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
You couldn't not do Spock's pudding bowl haircut ! :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
Also - before Star Trek 11 - I had never heard of Chris Pine or Zoe Saldana before.

Then Zoe was in Avatar in the same year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #794 on: January 24, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
Also - before Star Trek 11 - I had never heard of Chris Pine or Zoe Saldana before.

Then Zoe was in Avatar in the same year.

Maybe you should watch more than 5 movies then. :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: January 24, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »
What 5 movies are they ?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #796 on: January 25, 2014, 04:34:08 AM »
All Star Trek of course!

I kid!  I kid!

Pine is fairly new to acting but the first movie I remember him is was Smoking Aces.

Zoe has been acting longer than Pine and was in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #797 on: January 25, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
Pine was in Smoking Aces? How did he manage to move on to Star Trek after that rancid bag of shit? Clearly he has friends in high places.

He was also in Bottle Shock, but I didn't see that until after Abrams Trek 2009.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #798 on: January 25, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
He was also the love interest in Princess Diaries 2....

(shut up...sometimes the TV just gets left on... )
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: January 25, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
Plus he was in Just My Luck with Lindsay Lohan I believe and the band McFly ;D

Hey  :angry: i happen to like their first CD.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #800 on: January 25, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »
Zoe was good in The Losers (excellent movie, BTW).  Been meaning to check out Columbiana
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #801 on: January 26, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
Zoe was the love interest in "Drumline".  She's a good dancer.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: February 17, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
Does anyone recall the rumour that Matt Damon was in line to play Kirk ?

I'm glad Pine got it because I can't imagine anyone else playing him now.

I think Matt Damon would have been too big a name to play Kirk.

And also : :lol at people who said that the original cast should *still* be playing themselves.

Yes ! 85 year old Shatner playing pre- 5 year mission Kirk. I foresee no problems there !

And I definitely see no problems with James Doohan or Deforest Kelley reprising their roles.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: February 17, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
I never heard the Matt Damon rumour, but I don't like him, so I'm glad that wasn't a thing.
I think Chris Pine was a perfect casting decision. He can play every side of the Kirk character well. I have serious issues with the writing for his character, but his performance is great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: February 17, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
Karl Urban is absolutely perfect as Bones though.

And a quick aside RE : the writing. Obviously he's not going to be the exact same Kirk from TOS since the events of 2009.

And i'm not just saying " Duh - New Timeline DUH " because that can't explain everything that's different.

Finally - he is supposed to be the Kirk we all know at the end of Into Darkness and the two films are about his journey to be captain of Enterprise.

But yeah - the whole point of 2009 was to free future movies from the already cluttered constraints of Star Trek canon.

( what they do with this new timeline has been thoroughly discussed in this thread so no need to drag it up again ).

:) Just my two pence guv.