Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177314 times)

Offline Elsydeon

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1330 on: December 19, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »
Anyone who says FFIX has a bad story is dead inside and will never be happy. Ever.
\
I'm always sad.  And my organs are not living.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: December 19, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »
Some of the Zack/Aeris angle is explained here. But Cloud isn't much help as he's not yet realised how incredibly fucked up he is right now. (he is essentially emulating Zack himself)

Gongaga is Zack's hometown and you can meet his parents in the little house to the south-east of the village.

Oh yeah, I remember this now. I always just did it after the Gold Saucer. I never even realized it was a side quest.

Agree 100 percent. FFIX was just not consistant enough. It had great characters and atmosphere, but was letdown by poor storyline development from Disc 3 onwards. The whole Kuja angle ruined the game, and I was disappointed to see 50% of the world map you were beginning to explore - was nothing more than deserted land.

Yup. The weird thing is, I like the mechanics of the game very much. But the story just is not good. I actually don't think I can remember most of the important plot details. FF7 is the only FF on the PSOne that I really like aside form tactics.

Offline j

« Reply #1332 on: December 19, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
Agree 100 percent. FFIX was just not consistant enough. It had great characters and atmosphere, but was letdown by poor storyline development from Disc 3 onwards. The whole Kuja angle ruined the game, and I was disappointed to see 50% of the world map you were beginning to explore - was nothing more than deserted land.

Yup. The weird thing is, I like the mechanics of the game very much. But the story just is not good. I actually don't think I can remember most of the important plot details.

To me, the plot/characters are the main things going for it.  The mechanics are simplistic and dated, for the most part, and the long-ass battle intro animation makes me contemplate suicide.

It's been a long time since I've played it, but I thought the story didn't really start getting good until like the middle of disc 3?  And it just got better from there.

-J

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #1333 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »
Yup. The weird thing is, I like the mechanics of the game very much. But the story just is not good. I actually don't think I can remember most of the important plot details. FF7 is the only FF on the PSOne that I really like aside form tactics.

WAT

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: December 19, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Tactics has an amazing story.

Maybe I'll download FF9 from the Sony store when I finish 7.

Offline j

« Reply #1335 on: December 20, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »

That's mah boy. :biggrin:

And yeah I agree Tactics had a good story too.  There was something about it that bugged me though, but it's been so long I can barely remember.  I think it had something to do with getting my ass kicked by Chocobos while trying to level up in those throwaway battles between scenarios.

-J

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1336 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:35 AM »

To be fair, I never finished Tactics. It was really a "wat" at the gameplay. I really didn't like that battle style back when it came out. But for some reason I think it works well in the Front Mission games.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: December 20, 2010, 02:31:51 AM »

To be fair, I never finished Tactics. It was really a "wat" at the gameplay. I really didn't like that battle style back when it came out. But for some reason I think it works well in the Front Mission games.

The battle system is indeed wat at first but once you start trying to build certain characters it gets really freakin' addictive. I forgot to bring the game to HK, but when I go back home I'm definitely remembering to take it with me. By my second time playing the game, I refused to use any of the story characters except Ramza. Using the guys you've been leveling up is just so much more fun.

How far did you get? By the end of the first "chapter" I thought the story was pretty damn interesting, but it only gets better from there. The PSP version is also written in really well-done psuedo Elizabethan English which really gives it a cool effect. It really is a cool game  ;D

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1338 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »
I'll admit I was pretty unimpressed with Tactics' story when I played it. Just couldn't get into it, and some of the twists were pretty predictable. I dunno, may I was just overhyped after all the praise I heard about it. The gameplay is legit though. I actually just picked up the PSP version (from a bargain bin!). I'll have to give that a run someday and see if the new translation/script improves my opinion any.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1339 on: December 20, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »

The battle system is indeed wat at first but once you start trying to build certain characters it gets really freakin' addictive. I forgot to bring the game to HK, but when I go back home I'm definitely remembering to take it with me. By my second time playing the game, I refused to use any of the story characters except Ramza. Using the guys you've been leveling up is just so much more fun.

How far did you get? By the end of the first "chapter" I thought the story was pretty damn interesting, but it only gets better from there. The PSP version is also written in really well-done psuedo Elizabethan English which really gives it a cool effect. It really is a cool game  ;D

I honestly have no clue how far in I got, the last time I played it was the year it came out  :lol

If I could find it for the DS for a good price I would probably get it, just to give it a fair try.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: December 20, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
Oh the DS one is different, and nowhere near as good.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1341 on: December 20, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
Looks like someone's going to try to remake FF7 in Little Big Planet 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBQdGx9uLc

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: December 21, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »
I'm absolutely dying to find out when Versus XIII is coming out.

Apparently, there is going to be some sort of press conference relating to it on the 18th of January...

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1343 on: December 21, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
PSP is getting a IV collection, which will include IV, The After Years, and some new story in between the two.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1344 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
Does anyone have a PS3 just laying around? :3

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: December 21, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
Come to Aberdeen and we can play the PS3 all day long :heart

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1346 on: December 21, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
Okay.

Also, I put up a mini-comic that has something to do with Final Fantasy so yeah

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: December 21, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
Sweet. I'll just have a look.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1348 on: January 04, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
So I've been playing X-2.

This game is not nearly as bad as I remember (though some of the dialogue is just atrocious). The battle system is really fun and I cannot possibly dislike an FF game with a job system, mahou-shoujo style transformation sequences aside.

The music during the battles with LeBlanc and her cronies is also really great. I just wish I didn't need to play stupid sphere break in order to get the best ending  >:(

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1349 on: January 04, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
I dunno, i remember playing the game for maybe two hours before I got sick of it.

Also, I realized not too long ago that XIII is the first Final Fantasy (apart from online/peripheral games) that I did not buy on release date since FF VII.

I've....failed

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: January 04, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
No you haven't, XIII sucks  :biggrin:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1351 on: January 04, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
Never played X-2 but I have heard that its battle system is actually pretty fun.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1352 on: January 04, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
^^ You heard right. It is an incredibly cheesy game, but the gameplay makes up for it.

I got it for Christmas and I couldn't disagree more. I love it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1353 on: January 04, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »

WAT
What? Tactics is one of my favourites. However PC seems to have forgotten the existence of FF8, the best game evar. >:(

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1354 on: January 04, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »
I got it for Christmas and I couldn't disagree more. I love it.
[/quote]
I enjoyed it for what it is but I can see why others don't, it's fundamentally divisive from a design standpoint. Personally I thought the battle system was great, best in the series, and was the most fun I've had with a FF game in a long time, even if the script and dialogue is inexcusably bad by modern gaming standards.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
The battle system in FFXIII was atrocious. I would say that was possibly the worst aspect of the game, even setting aside the abysmal characters, awful area/level design, and crap story.

...my name is Araragi.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1356 on: January 04, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
I'm with Mr. Beale. I love the battle system in that game.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1357 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »
The battle system in FFXIII was atrocious. I would say that was possibly the worst aspect of the game, even setting aside the abysmal characters, awful area/level design, and crap story.

Gotta disagree with you there. I love the fast pace, the paradigms give you a nice amount of control over the battle without making you micro manage every attack and heal command. And the stagger and rating system is a brilliant way of encouraging you to find the quickest route to victory at all times instead of just coasting on normal attacks and an occasional heal like in so many jrpgs. Does it still become routine in the late game? Yeah but so does every other FF. I do wish you could go in and adjust the AI priorities though (and had enemies that required said adjustments). Yeah the leveling system is pretty redundant and the level caps are extremely questionable but the battles themselves were really fun imo.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:10 AM »
I have trouble describing a battle system that requires gimmicky fights to actually be challenging as anything other than crap.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1359 on: January 05, 2011, 04:39:04 AM »
I really can't see why you hate it so much. :lol

I finally got a PS3 and FF XIII at Christmas, and I'm really liking it so far. I like the characters and the story seems quite good (although I can't really judge until the end), and the dialogue is reasonable, pretty much standard FF quality. I think the game's main benefit over the previous ones is how slick it is, particularly visually.

The one thing I'm not so keen on is how linear it is, but then X was the same, so it doesn't bother me that much.

As for the battle system, it's fine. I've never really been that bothered about FF battle systems, but I like that they change things up from game to game, and I like the fact that the last couple of games have seen quicker, more efficient systems.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1360 on: January 19, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
So, I figured we should move the XIII-2 discussion in here rather than hi-jack the video games thread with it. I'm extremely excited for this. It looks like it's basically another story with the same characters, but apparently everything has been tweaked, including the battle system.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1361 on: January 19, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
Honestly I don't really care for it. I'll probably give it a shot when it comes out, but probably won't buy it. The only release I'm remotely interested in from square at this moment is VersusXIII

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1362 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
So, I figured we should move the XIII-2 discussion in here rather than hi-jack the video games thread with it. I'm extremely excited for this. It looks like it's basically another story with the same characters, but apparently everything has been tweaked, including the battle system.

I hope it has a better story than the first one. I honestly wouldn't mind a quick and dirty sequel that lifts a lot from the original (heck I hope they keep a similar battle system, just expanding on its ideas (and remove the stupid autobattle button ::))) if it had a good story. Not sure how much stuff they can reuse from XIII like X-2 though, since *spoilers* Cocoon is trashed at the end of XIII *end spoilers*

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1363 on: February 20, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Dude, without the auto-battle button, that game would be so stupidly hard in the last few chapters. Maybe everybody else has superhuman speed, but I'd be wasting time inputting actions manually. The only time I do it is when I need to Esuna somebody and they're at yellow health (that's probably the only time the AI annoys me. I've got Lightning with 4 status ailments, getting creamed by a boss, and unable to do anything. Hope just sits there healing me and letting the process repeat).

That said, I just beat the game today. Very satisfied with the final boss and the ending. Now I have to decide which one to hit next. I've started VI, IX, and I, but I'm just not sure which one I feel like conquering.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ehra

« Reply #1364 on: February 20, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
My girlfriend and I finally finished X together a few days and have moved onto X-2. The combat is definitely better, to say the least.