Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 176722 times)

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #770 on: March 26, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »
My favorite was FFIX.  It's also the only one I beat... I got to the end of FFVIII a couple times and my memory card got corrupted so I just gave up  :facepalm:

My dad bought FFXIII for me for my birthday, I can't wait to play it!!!  He showed it to me, but he won't give it to me until my birthday (which isn't until May :()

IX is the only one I ever beat (or for that matter, really played).  I loved it though.  Vivi is the coolest. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: March 26, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
IX is the best game ever.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #772 on: March 26, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
Hm. I wouldn't call IX my favorite anymore (probably 4-5th), but I distinctly remember it being the one I enjoyed the most, age being a significant factor.

I don't know, Final Fantasy games just feel so much bigger and complex and detailed when you're younger, then I play them again years later and, while still great, feel much smaller :-X

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: March 26, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm still surprised when I go back and play 7 and realize I could probably beat it in 20 hours now.... I must have played it for like 40-50 my first time through.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #774 on: March 26, 2010, 05:11:42 PM »
Anyways, at the final dungeon in Final Fantasy XIII. Things were kicking my ass so I went back to Gran Pulse and I trained for 3-4 hours, came back, and each encounter is still like a boss battle :facepalm: I found the Jabberwocky and Bandersnatch miles easier than a group of four Sacrifices or three Dagonites

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #776 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:58 AM »
I just finished Chapter 9. That boss was ridiculous.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #777 on: March 28, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
 :metal

My wife and I started talking last night and ended up switching our entertainment budget around.  We were already dropping cable as we couldn't convince Comcast to keep us at a promotional price, so we decided to just completely shut out cable for the next couple of years and buy a PS3(me for games and her for Blu-Ray/plus trying Netflix).  We ordered from Amazon, so with free shipping who knows when it will show up.

Final Fantasy XIII is mine, soon, though!  ;D

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #778 on: March 28, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »

Hahahahahaha, Barthandalus? If only you knew.

Also, is it just me or is the final boss music freaking epic? I'm actually finding myself not missing Nobuo too much. I don't feel Hamauzu's score will stand the test of time as well as Uematsu's collections, of course, but he's an amazing replacement (though I'm aware he's been working with Square since X).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:28:23 PM by Arcaeus »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: March 29, 2010, 09:38:32 AM »
Chapter 10 Spoilers:
Beat Cid on my first try. He wasn't all that bad once I figured out his pattern. I only had to stagger him twice and he was gone. There's nothing more satisfying than keeping an enemy up in the air for its entire stagger time. Fang ends up doing well over 5000 per hit.  :D
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
Chapter 10 Spoilers:
Beat Cid on my first try. He wasn't all that bad once I figured out his pattern. I only had to stagger him twice and he was gone. There's nothing more satisfying than keeping an enemy up in the air for its entire stagger time. Fang ends up doing well over 5000 per hit.  :D
Cid did not phase me at all.  When he was near the first Stagger I summoned Odin, staggered him in the beginning of Gestalt Mode, proceeded to to beat him up in Gestalt and then did the big attack.  Odin attacking a staggered Raines reduced his health-bar from 75% to nothing in minutes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
Chapter 10 Spoilers:
Cid did not phase me at all.  When he was near the first Stagger I summoned Odin, staggered him in the beginning of Gestalt Mode, proceeded to to beat him up in Gestalt and then did the big attack.  Odin attacking a staggered Raines reduced his health-bar from 75% to nothing in minutes.

That's a neat way of approaching it. I haven't used summons at all yet. Maybe I should start.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: March 29, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
Chapter 10 Spoilers:

That's a neat way of approaching it. I haven't used summons at all yet. Maybe I should start.

Yeah, I noticed a couple of my friends almost all forgot that you have (and can use) those things  ;D

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #783 on: March 29, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
At Chapter 9 now.

I have to say my favorite paradigms:

Lighting - Ravager
Fang - Commander
Hope - Ravager

and

Lighting - Commander
Fang - Sentinel
Hope - Medic

With those two I am getting 5 stars on each battle...

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #784 on: March 29, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
At Chapter 9 now.

I have to say my favorite paradigms:

Lighting - Ravager
Fang - Commander
Hope - Ravager

and

Lighting - Commander
Fang - Sentinel
Hope - Medic

With those two I am getting 5 stars on each battle...
In the next chapters you might find it to be a taaaad more difficult  :P

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: March 29, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
*agrees with Elsy*

This one has saved my ass numerous times:
Lightning - Medic
Fang - Sentinel
Hope - Medic

This one's great for building chains without having to worry about how mercilessly you're being pounded. I have it set as my active paradigm:
Lightning - Ravager
Fang - Commando
Hope - Medic

Also, this one is pretty much total win:
Lightning - Medic
Fang - Saboteur
Hope - Synergist

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #786 on: March 30, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
I win. :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: March 30, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
Total playtime?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #788 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
52:00. I got the the final dungeon at about 40:00, but each group of monsters was like a boss fight and the final boss himself kept slapping me around, so I went back to Pulse and hunted shit and explored for a long time and trained. Came back, killed final boss first try. :tup

Really good game, in my opinion, but not a great game, especially when one considers it's a Final Fantasy. I don't mind the linear nature, really, what pisses me off is how poorly they treat the minor characters. Rosch, Rygdea, Jihl, Raines, etc., all had potential, all were wasted.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #789 on: March 31, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »
Hm.

Now that I've beaten XIII, I think I'm going to go play X again, despite having beat it a couple times already. I've neglected it for too long. :hat

But I'm tempted to play through XIII again just to see all the pretty cutscenes and epic character development :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: March 31, 2010, 04:58:36 AM »
I'll probably play through it again at some point for that very reason. This game looks absolutely stunning.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #791 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »

Really? I thought he was super easy.  Just tedious.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1569-Final-Fantasy-XIII

Though I liked FF13 a *little* better than that (and am happier I  stuck with it now that I'm on Gran Pulse), that pretty much sums up my feelings.

Offline Chrisj1616

« Reply #794 on: March 31, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »
Take the time to max out your crystarium in just the primary roles and get every ability, then when you get to the end take a few minutes and give your party a max 2nd tier upgraded weapon.....not hard to do at all.

If you do this you will literally wipe the floor with Barthandelus and the penultimate boss...The penultimate boss I beat in 2 staggers, it wouldve been one but he breaks your stagger once you get him to 30%...use smart Bomb (Rav Rav Sab)on both of them after you buff up with your favorite synergist paradigm (I trained light as a synergist so I use Syn Syn Sent) and youll be doing 99k a hit on the bosses once staggered

Also.....Sacrifices go down easy if you imperil them first

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #795 on: March 31, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »
STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: March 31, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
I'm on Chapter 11!  :D Sadly I won't finish the game before my vacation unless I spam-play it this weekend.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #797 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
Ending spoilers:

After hating Hope for most of the game, I felt bad for him at the end. The others get Serah and Dajh back and he's just kind of standing there alone in the background. No happy ending for the kid with the unfortunate name.

By the way what the fuck happened with Rosch in Chapter 7? One moment he's giving his "why you suck" speech to Snow, then he suddenly gets gassed and shot without explanation, then a few chapters later he appears out of nowhere in his flying Final Fantasy VII reference.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:20:20 PM by Arcaeus »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
Grinding. It sucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
Ending spoilers:

After hating Hope for most of the game, I felt bad for him at the end. The others get Serah and Dajh back and he's just kind of standing there alone in the background. No happy ending for the kid with the unfortunate name.

By the way what the fuck happened with Rosch in Chapter 7? One moment he's giving his "why you suck" speech to Snow, then he suddenly gets gassed and shot without explanation, then a few chapters later he appears out of nowhere in his flying Final Fantasy VII reference.

I don't know, but the only people in FFXIII I care less about that the PCs are the NPCs, who I don't know anything about and who just seem like tons of wasted potential.  Then again, I never touched the datalog.

Offline Areola

« Reply #800 on: April 03, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
I usually don't post here much, but I've got a question for ya all. If someone, say me, didn't like Final Fantasy XII that much, but loved Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and X. How much fun would I get out of the new final fantasy? I am probably gonna buy it anyhow, but it's okay to get some pointers!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: April 03, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »
I hated XII, and I love XIII.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #802 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: April 06, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
I usually don't post here much, but I've got a question for ya all. If someone, say me, didn't like Final Fantasy XII that much, but loved Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and X. How much fun would I get out of the new final fantasy? I am probably gonna buy it anyhow, but it's okay to get some pointers!

I loved X, was mostly apathetic while playing through XII, and move between "absolutely hating" to "liking with some reservations" XIII.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #804 on: April 06, 2010, 09:58:56 PM »

...my name is Araragi.