Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 178288 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »
Ummm...I'm at the bit not long after the boss who has 2 million HP. The bit where you have to collect parts for that toy thing. Well, you don't have to but you can.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #736 on: March 18, 2010, 02:04:25 AM »
Ummm...I'm at the bit not long after the boss who has 2 million HP. The bit where you have to collect parts for that toy thing. Well, you don't have to but you can.
you get ALOT of money for doing that

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: March 18, 2010, 02:34:43 AM »
So it is worth it then?

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #738 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »
definitely, you get a trophy too

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: March 18, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
Cool.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #740 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:57 AM »
i just fought the final boss, 7million hp. pain in my ass

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: March 18, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
 :omg:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »
Shit.  I've been drinking some beers and playing this game all night.  Just finished the marathon that is Chapter 7.  This game definitely wins the award for most melodramatic dialog in a videogame ever.  :yeahright

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #743 on: March 19, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
lol i finished it tonight, the ending wasn't too bad  :D

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #744 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:11 PM »
God damn. I'm so behind. I'm not even done with Chapter 5 yet. It's gonna take me months to beat this sucker.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #745 on: March 19, 2010, 11:58:06 PM »
Chapter 11, I'm just running around grinding CP and shit before I go to Oerba.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: March 21, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
I'm somewhere towards the beginning of Chapter 7. The plots coming together, and I'm consistently impressed. The scene with Snow and Shiva was mind-bogglingly epic.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #747 on: March 21, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
Yup, I'm still playing VIII.  And I still hate it.  Makes a little more sense but I still hate hate hate hate hate the controls on it.  And I HATE all the random battles (I realize it's necessary for leveling up your characters but Jesus Christ there's some areas where I can't take two steps without having to fight another battle).

This game's lucky it's got a good story, otherwise I'd take it out of the console and never look at it again. 

Usually when I play a game, I like to play through it once on my own without cheating, so I can say I did it on my own.  Then I'll get the walkthrough and play it again to get all the cool stuff that I missed the first time.  I'm not ashamed to say that I already went ahead and looked up the walkthrough for this game.  I'm still not using it for the secret stuff, but I am using it to get me out of certain areas (for example, the sewers, the prison).  I just don't have the patience for maze boards like that, with controls like these, with this ridiculous amount of battles. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline ehra

« Reply #748 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »
What control problems are you having? I don't remember them being very different from any other game...

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #749 on: March 21, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »
What control problems are you having? I don't remember them being very different from any other game...

I feel like I'm having trouble getting the characters to enter/speak to people.  A perfect example is the scene where they're about to assassinate the sorceress, and you have to follow the general and then speak to him at the base of the arch.  Well I swear to god I played it for an hour last night speaking to everyone I could find, running everywhere it would let me go, and I got nothing.  I finally just got so pissed off that I shut it off.  Today I booted it back up and lo and behold, the very first person I tried to speak to is this general guy and I was thinking, "well I know I tried multiple times to speak to this dude last night and every time it wouldn't let me."  It's quite possible that I'm just retarded, but I'm not a stranger to how games like this work...I know how to go up and "talk" to someone...and I tried multiple times, from every angle. 

I have the same issues trying to enter/exit areas...sometimes it lets me, sometimes it doesn't. 

I even thought that maybe it was just me having issues with seeing the graphics, so I even lightened the tint on my tv.  It didn't help.

I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline ehra

« Reply #750 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
Wow, no idea. Never ran into that problem.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #751 on: March 21, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »
Are you talkinga bout the game VIII?  You need almost no leveling to complete the game, no?  The enemy levels are matched to you so if anything leveling up only makes the game harder, I think.  At least I've heard a few people saying the more you skip battles the easier the game is in the end.  On the other hand, using the junction system you can sort of permanently put yourself ahead of the enemies on the leveling curve.  Either way, it was never a difficult game and you could easily avoid all random battles as one of the early espers has a skill to avoid all encounters.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #752 on: March 21, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
Are you talkinga bout the game VIII?  You need almost no leveling to complete the game, no?  The enemy levels are matched to you so if anything leveling up only makes the game harder, I think.  At least I've heard a few people saying the more you skip battles the easier the game is in the end.  On the other hand, using the junction system you can sort of permanently put yourself ahead of the enemies on the leveling curve.  Either way, it was never a difficult game and you could easily avoid all random battles as one of the early espers has a skill to avoid all encounters.

Well, shit.  I wish I'd known that at the beginning.   

And I have no qualms about cheating for this game...how do I get the ability to avoid battles?     :D
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #753 on: March 21, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
Cid gave you a magic lamp early in the game which contains Diablos.  Diablos can learn enc-half and enc-none(sp?), which reduces or prevents random battles.  Learn them and equip the ability to whoever junctions Diablos.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #754 on: March 21, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
Cid gave you a magic lamp early in the game which contains Diablos.  Diablos can learn enc-half and enc-none(sp?), which reduces or prevents random battles.  Learn them and equip the ability to whoever junctions Diablos.

I forgot I had that thing from Cid.  Whoops.  Thanks for the info!
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #755 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
And an easy way to beat Diablos: Draw maximum water and junction them to someone, probably Squall's magic. Then have him draw-cast demi when you fight Diablos and he'll go down like a ton of bricks.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline j

« Reply #756 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
@ Neon: I agree that the plot is FFVIII's main strength, although I didn't have all the other problems you seem to be experiencing.  I enjoyed the game overall, but I don't think it's one of my top favorites in the series.

Started FFXIII last weekend.  Currently on Chapter 3, just found out that all the battles I had fought prior were for nothing. :facepalm: Enjoying the game so far though.

-J

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #757 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:45 PM »
OK, so this is probably going to sound really retarded, but what is the deal with Chocobos in FF VIII?

I'm in the forest now, and I can't catch one.  I paid the boy to catch one for me but then as soon as I got out onto the world map, it ran away?  So I looked up a couple of walkthroughs and even those aren't really helping.

The one I found said you have to have one "chicobo" on the ground and then go talk to it...well they either come down in sets of three or four...or the lone one comes down but then immediately flies back up.

I have about zero patience left for this fucking game, I just want to be able to ride around on the stupid thing without it running away.  (And no, I haven't found a place to "call" it back yet).

The only FF game I ever played besides this one was IX and it wasn't nearly this difficult.  I'm really feeling like a failure right now because I can't figure this out...even with cheating. 

Please help me.   :lol
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
Dunno know about VIII, but what's up with you guys.  No one wants to talk about FF13?  Do you all really think it's that underwhelming?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: March 23, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
There's been a lot of talking about XIII.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
Yeah, this.  ???

FFXIII is awesome. I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: March 23, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »

Where?  There's only one or two posts about it from this week... almost all the talking happened last week.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: March 23, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »
Well, I haven't gotten the chance to play it for about a week. So since a lot of people are ahead of me now I can't contribute much to the conversation.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »
Yeah, and I won't get to play it until my next paycheck at the EARLIEST, so I don't have much to say about it either. I assume once everyone is caught up/done there will be more discussion since we won't need to talk in vague terms like "You know that one boss after Lightning says that thing and it does this thing".

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #764 on: March 23, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
Chapter 12 :metal

C12 spoilers:
WTF, they brought Cid back and I thought this was his chance to do something cool, and then Rygdea shoots him three cutscenes later. Oh well, the assault on Eden is pretty awesome.

I'm thinking of starting a Final Fantasy Cid survivor :neverusethis:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: March 23, 2010, 03:56:33 PM »
Still in chapter 7 after the big battle where everyone is reunited. That battle was fucking epic.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: March 25, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
What the fuck  >:(

The second boss. I can be at full health, with Snow as a Sentinel, and yet Crystal Rain still one-shots Lightning? What the fuck is this?

Edit: I beat it, but that was annoying  >:(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:17:38 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: March 26, 2010, 06:28:05 AM »
Chapter 9 Spoilers
Just beat Dysley.  What a bitch.   Was really hard until I realized he had multiple heads...

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #768 on: March 26, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
post game is really fun. I'm totally determined to get all those trophies. There are some really huge badass monsters in gran pule though

Offline LearningToLive

« Reply #769 on: March 26, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »
My favorite was FFIX.  It's also the only one I beat... I got to the end of FFVIII a couple times and my memory card got corrupted so I just gave up  :facepalm:

My dad bought FFXIII for me for my birthday, I can't wait to play it!!!  He showed it to me, but he won't give it to me until my birthday (which isn't until May :()