Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 150763 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You missed 'teen' on the end of that "6-7"

Indeed.
Listened to HITNF again yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Plenty of rubbish on it but some of it is better than I remember.

Yeah there are quality tracks on that disc for sure.  If it was condensed by about 4-5 songs, it would be much better.  Lots of filler, thats true.

Offline Lowdz

You missed 'teen' on the end of that "6-7"

Indeed.
Listened to HITNF again yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Plenty of rubbish on it but some of it is better than I remember.

Yeah there are quality tracks on that disc for sure.  If it was condensed by about 4-5 songs, it would be much better.  Lots of filler, thats true.

Oh and the solo in Cuckoo's Nest... bloody awful. If CDG was going for a vibe of someone who can't play guitar doing their first solo he nailed it. Grates on me every time I hear it.

Offline Ruba

Oh and the solo in Cuckoo's Nest... bloody awful. If CDG was going for a vibe of someone who can't play guitar doing their first solo he nailed it. Grates on me every time I hear it.

>:(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Yeah, that solo is pretty bad.  I get what he was going for, but the execution was awful.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I like what they tried to go for on HITNF, but really, I only like 4 or 5 songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
New Suite Sister Mary clip (with new bassist and new Mary).  The band is actually starting to sound decent now that they've had a bit more time to gel.  I even thought Tate sounded surprisingly good during the initial soft part.  But once the guitar kick in and he has to belt even the slightest bit, he sounds horrible again.  And I don't know Sass at all, but given that she's a professional singer, I expected her to be pretty good.  Frankly, she's terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iDuURFiQpg&sns=em
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

New Suite Sister Mary clip (with new bassist and new Mary).  The band is actually starting to sound decent now that they've had a bit more time to gel.  I even thought Tate sounded surprisingly good during the initial soft part.  But once the guitar kick in and he has to belt even the slightest bit, he sounds horrible again.  And I don't know Sass at all, but given that she's a professional singer, I expected her to be pretty good.  Frankly, she's terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iDuURFiQpg&sns=em

Chad's not gonna be happy   :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
His stage presence and antics are almost surpassing his singing in terribleness though. Hiring bad female singers is probably on purpose as a part of making GT not sound as bad too.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Okay, I can't believe I'm saying this, but whatever: I actually liked two of the songs from FU. Most of the album's bland as hell, and Tater can't sing for shit, but I do like the Promised Land-esque riff going on in "In The Hands Of God" and I actually don't mind "The Weight Of The World". So... yeah...  :millahhhh
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Lowdz

Okay, I can't believe I'm saying this, but whatever: I actually liked two of the songs from FU. Most of the album's bland as hell, and Tater can't sing for shit, but I do like the Promised Land-esque riff going on in "In The Hands Of God" and I actually don't mind "The Weight Of The World". So... yeah...  :millahhhh

A decent producer and singer could salvage half of this album, there are some decent songs trying to struggle free. As it is it's a steaming pile of shit.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
And I don't know Sass at all, but given that she's a professional singer, I expected her to be pretty good.  Frankly, she's terrible.

Her voice is not suited to this song or range AT ALL.  She's a blues-rock singer.  You'd do just as well to put Janis Joplin in for the role of Mary.  I can understand not digging this at all... as Mary, she sounds like shit.  Terrible choice by Tate.  I was so bummed to here her band (S.U.N.) was opening for Tateryche.  Was hoping to catch them when they were playing.  I even posted on their FB page how disappointed I was they were playing with Tateryche.

In her own style/genre, she's dynamite.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And I don't know Sass at all, but given that she's a professional singer, I expected her to be pretty good.  Frankly, she's terrible.

Her voice is not suited to this song or range AT ALL.  She's a blues-rock singer.  You'd do just as well to put Janis Joplin in for the role of Mary.  I can understand not digging this at all... as Mary, she sounds like shit.  Terrible choice by Tate.  I was so bummed to here her band (S.U.N.) was opening for Tateryche.  Was hoping to catch them when they were playing.  I even posted on their FB page how disappointed I was they were playing with Tateryche.

In Canada, Sass is still a pretty big star.  She was one of the judges on Canadian Idol and I heard a rumor that she did a try out for Van Halen in the mid 90's.  Check out her song "High Road Easy".  I wouldnt consider myself a fan, but she does have a good voice.  However, she seemed extremely out of place with QR.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yeah, I should clarify that she is terrible on that song.  Not saying she's a bad singer.  But, first off, her voice is not suited for that song at all.  Just the timbre and natural grittiness she sings with is not even remotely in the same neighborhood as what that song needs.  Second, she doesn't appear to have the range to hit the notes, even as severely downtuned as they are playing it to accommodate Tate.  Third, she is incredibly pitchy.  On that point, I don't want to be too hard on her.  Singing live is not as easy as it looks, and there are a bunch of factors that can screw you up, including not being able to hear yourself, or (likely in this case), the lead singer you are trying to harmonize with being out of key, for example.  But she just sounded awful in that clip. 

I've heard some of the stuff with her band (thanks, Chad!), and while her voice seems to be somewhat of an acquired taste, she at least sounds like she fits on that other stuff. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PowerSlave

That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Still not great, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Not to go :offtopic: anymore re: Sass, but she's sung a lot of different styles in her day ... pop, blues, rock, grunge, and now this hard-rock thing she's doing in S.U.N.  Her 90s stuff is definitely more accessible, and I'd say I only enjoy S.U.N. because I really like her.  This song is a really good example of her talent, and probably my second favorite song with her on the mic.

I can definitely see how she's an acquired taste.... on that I did indeed acquire 25 years ago.  Plus ...

Not bad for 50.

Ok, back on topic...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Today I learned AMob's own John Moyer plays with these guys.

Dude must be hard up for a gig.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:19:43 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Just when you thought Geoff Tate couldn't be more of an idiot:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCISgoZ6m6c&feature=youtu.be

Take a look at 10:20 where he snatches a fan's phone and throws it.  Unbelievable.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Just when you thought Geoff Tate couldn't be more of an idiot:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCISgoZ6m6c&feature=youtu.be

Take a look at 10:20 where he snatches a fan's phone and throws it.  Unbelievable.

You know, the more this sort of stuff happens with Tate, the more I appreciate the fact that I never really got all the hype behind his voice in the classic era. Yeah, he was insanely talented back in the day, but he was never a personal favorite of mine.

Still, this is incredibly disappointing to see.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
I was a big fan of him and the band in the classic era but the guy has lost his damn mind. Really is sickening to see the way he carries on.  :tdwn

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Wow, what an asshole.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
You think he'd be happy people actually still want to capture his performances on video.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
"I see a big Queensryche banner hanging up in the back....did they come out and play after these guys?"

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
"I see a big Queensryche banner hanging up in the back....did they come out and play after these guys?"

That's gold.  Can't wait til I get home to check that vid, not surprising though for Tate these days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore

:lol Fucking awesome.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This is just absurd.  The comments are saying that the reason why he did is what that he asked for no video or pictures, but does this give the right for him to do that to somebody's personal property, fuck no, what an asshole.

The request of no video recording is pathetic as it is, especially for this pathetic excuse of a group of idiots calling themselves Queensryche.  but when I saw WASP, there was the same policy due to the performance of the album and the video story behind it, where Blackie was trying to keep it as secret as possible for the concert experience seeing it for the first time live as opposed to youtube, but security were the ones running around telling people to stop recording, Blackie never did anything regarding videos, it was all security.  Despite his policy he performed fully professional without doing something like this or signaling inappropriately to fans.

I think Geoff has become the ultimate rock asshole.  He makes Blackie, Schaffer, Mustaine, Ulrich and Malmsteen look like sweethearts.  Fucking dick.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Agreed, BUT he's still no Axl Rose.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm...forgot about Axl.  You're right, but give him time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really don't know how anyone can stand behind or support this knucklehead anymore.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
He should be proud that people still pay to see him live,let alone record it.

Offline Cruithne

He should be proud that people still pay to see him live,let alone record it.

Heh, one fears Mr Tate thinks people should feel entitled to see him perform.

It's hard to know if he's got a cocaine problem or is just a fucking prick.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

The request of no video recording is pathetic as it is, especially for this pathetic excuse of a group of idiots calling themselves Queensryche.  but when I saw WASP, there was the same policy due to the performance of the album and the video story behind it, where Blackie was trying to keep it as secret as possible for the concert experience seeing it for the first time live as opposed to youtube, but security were the ones running around telling people to stop recording, Blackie never did anything regarding videos, it was all security.  Despite his policy he performed fully professional without doing something like this or signaling inappropriately to fans.

Why is it pathetic?  Plenty of other bands do it nowadays, too.  I know we live in a culture where everyone thinks they should be able to go to a concert and record anything they want, but if the artist or venue says no, then that is your tough shit.  Buying a ticket to a concert doesn't give you the right to do whatever you want at the show.

Having said that, that was definitely a dick move by Tate, but if you specifically requested no recording and some guy is sticking his phone right up near your face like that when you are performing, I can see how that would be really irritating. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I don't think the policy in general is pathetic, but when it's likely put in place just because you don't want potential purchasers to see/hear how shitty your band is, then it becomes pathetic.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
It's a shame that he's like that, but it's really no surprise.  GT has been a paranoid asshole since the 80's.  Always stand-offish and trying to hide from fans so they don't approach him.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I won't defend Tate, but not every musician in the limelight is an extrovert who loves talking to fans all day.  Sure, it's part of the business, and you know that going in, but for introverts, I can see how it would be a challenge.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
But he's not an introvert.  He makes himself inaccessible to fans, but that doesn't make him an introvert.