Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148733 times)

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
Re: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« Reply #1260 on: May 12, 2023, 02:59:04 PM »
Help me out folks. Geoff Tate's opening note. At first I wanted to say "NO, that's not live." then the end, and the subsequent choruses, I thought it was absolutely live.

I checked out this from May 7 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyGQyM3Q7QU

And this from May 9 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ug6bNJs-I

>>>>>He's bending over every time...which he used to do back in the early 83 EP years. But nowadays...I mean, is that opening note really live, or is there some technology that allows him to trigger something?

I want to believe he sounds like this now, but...if it really is real, damn. Not bad, Geoff. Not bad.
That's all live. If you compare just the opening notes, the second video is slightly shorter in the sustain.

And people, if you've heard recordings/bootlegs where the lead vocal is lip-synced, you can very easily tell. It never sounds live at all. It's missing the reverb and echo that the mic would pic up from the venue etc.
See the latest W.A.S.P. shows that are lip-synced, or KISS from the current tour. Every vocal performance is identical and sounds the same, despite being at very different venues.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: May 12, 2023, 03:34:59 PM »
If it’s truly live, good for him.

Geoff’s singing is much more impressive than the hacks playing behind him. Good grief, the band is bad.

So true.  I'd kill for a gig like Geoff's band and I'd do a damn better job too.  Surely he can get some higher quality musicians.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: May 12, 2023, 03:36:55 PM »
Geoff sounds good for the whole set.  Why in the blue hell would he pretend for the first 15 seconds?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: May 12, 2023, 03:38:59 PM »
If it’s truly live, good for him.

Geoff’s singing is much more impressive than the hacks playing behind him. Good grief, the band is bad.

So true.  I'd kill for a gig like Geoff's band and I'd do a damn better job too.  Surely he can get some higher quality musicians.

Could you imagine Wolf playing the opening to Queen of the Reich

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: May 12, 2023, 03:39:38 PM »
 :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1265 on: May 12, 2023, 03:40:27 PM »
The high notes at the start of both nights sound are at the very least different takes. I think it is live. And yes he sounds good.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1266 on: May 12, 2023, 03:41:29 PM »
Being able to hit notes like that consistently...it has been a long time. I mean, they aren't perfect, and I wouldn't expect them to be. I'm just kind of blown away. Good for him. That's really cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1267 on: June 02, 2023, 10:38:08 AM »

I really hope we get more high notes on the next Sweet Oblivion album.

Way to go, Tate!