Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148669 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
I hate to give this its own thread, just because I don't think it deserves much attention.  But on the other hand, better to have it posted on its own than to potentially have this confused with the actual official Queensryche release planned for June 11th on Century Media.

Just hours after the official version of Queensryche released their announcement regaridng their new label and album release date (June 11), Geoff Tate had to follow suit with his band.

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187003

I love the classy album art, complete with not only using the band's name, but prominently using their logo front and center, and including re-recordings of four of their songs.

Anyhow, thanks, Geoff, but I'll stick with the official band.

QUEENSRŸCHE Signs With CENTURY MEDIA - Mar. 4, 2013
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:37:14 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
That cover is HILARIOUS. "Hey, guys, we'll call it Frequency Unknown, so we can have a fist with rings that read FU on it! It's subtle and classy!"  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The Letter M

:facepalm: x infinity

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PowerSlave

Boy oh boy, that came together fast. I wonder if the quick turn around will result in a lack of quality  ;) ;) ;)

On a side note, I've got dibs on the re-recorded songs being tuned down at least one full step if not more. I wonder if I can sucker anyone into making a bet with me?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So, let me make sure I have the sequence of events correct:

March 4, 2013, approx. 11:54 a.m., EST, by Geoff Tate:  "I never even think about the former lineup at this point..."

March 4, 2013, approx. 4:18 p.m., EST:  Geoff Tate's "Queensryche" will release an album that includes covers of four Queensryche songs written by the former lineup.

:lol  Well, gee, that's kinda ironic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:53:22 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RichardRG

That cover is HILARIOUS. "Hey, guys, we'll call it Frequency Unknown, so we can have a fist with rings that read FU on it! It's subtle and classy!"  :lol

:rollin

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Wow...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I don't even listen to Queensryche at all, but reading about all these new developments after the split is entertaining as hell.
Things just keep getting better and better.  :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
That cover really made my night.  :rollin

Its appropriate too, since I feel like GT has been saying FU to me for the past decade anyway.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's funny because as soon as I saw the QR new album story, I knew that Tate would be right behind them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

I wonder whose lawyer or whoever at the court dropped the ball so both bands can have the name Queensryche? How in the world weren't they able to come up with a better solution? This is so stupid, I've never seen a bigger mess.

Also, I bet this thread will be a massive success.  :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Battle of the Queensryches! Oh man, this is going to be a fun-ass year.  :lol

I just hope Shitryche's FU album doesn't drag down sales of the real one.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
What's the vest joke? I know Tate wears a vest, but what's the joke?

Oh, and lol Geoff Tate.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The line up of guest stars is pretty impressive though.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Those re-recordings are going to be awful.

Offline PowerSlave

Those re-recordings are going to be awful.

And tuned down. Don't forget tuned down...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
What's the vest joke? I know Tate wears a vest, but what's the joke?

Oh, and lol Geoff Tate.

The vest joke originated on Blabbermouth. For about two months, any article focusing on Geoff Tate pictured this hilarious picture of him wearing a vest and trying to look uber-macho. It's actually more Blabbermouth, who formats articles in a dull as fuck, cut and paste way so, generally, roughly half the article is re-used quotes, factoids, and publicity shots, than Tate that made the image so pervasive- but the Blabbermouth crowd just RAN with it
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
WTF? Seriously Geoff, any time I think you can pull through this with any sort of credibility or decency or whatever you just dig the hole deeper than I ever thought possible.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lowdz

That cover really made my night.  :rollin

Its appropriate too, since I feel like GT has been saying FU to me for the past decade anyway.

This exactly. And reason enough to vindicate kicking his arse out the QR door. I'm just disappointed in KK and Dave Meniketti for getting involved in this trainwreck.

Offline Cruithne

On a side note, I've got dibs on the re-recorded songs being tuned down at least one full step if not more. I wonder if I can sucker anyone into making a bet with me?

For him to have a chance of singing the melodies as they were originally written without sounding like someone is performing an invasive procedure on him without anesthetic then yes, they'll have to be tuned down - by about half an octave.

But the man has so few working synapses left that he'll probably record them in standard tuning, completely mangle the vocal melodies then claim it's how the songs were always intended to sound.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck, April 23rd, shit this came so quick.  I for one am actually intrigued to hear this.  The list of guests is impressive to say the least.  Tate's last solo album was nothing special, but it actually had a couple of decent moments.  I don't like the guy, but I'm curious to hear both albums.  I actually expected him to release it the same date as the other Queensryche.

The cover is as shit as any other Queensryche album though to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I don't even listen to Queensryche at all, but reading about all these new developments after the split is entertaining as hell.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I tend not to read Blabbermouth comments but I think I should start doing so for Queensryche news as these were pure gold. The best them:
" What was that again about Queensryche not getting a record deal?

What was that about them not being able to write their own music?

I'd say you were at least 81% wrong there, douchetool." :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter

Offline PowerSlave

For him to have a chance of singing the melodies as they were originally written without sounding like someone is performing an invasive procedure on him without anesthetic then yes, they'll have to be tuned down - by about half an octave.

But the man has so few working synapses left that he'll probably record them in standard tuning, completely mangle the vocal melodies then claim it's how the songs were always intended to sound.

I was actually trying to be a bit of an asshole when I kept saying that. It's natural for a singer to lose some range as they get older. I don't fault anyone for that. However, considering some of the things that I've heard about his personal habits I feel justified.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm probably going against popular opinion here, but I don't think Geoff Tate has EVER sounded good. His vocals have always been pretty lolsy to my ears. Even in his finest 80's moments, he's always seemed like a muppetized caricature of what a good hard-rock/heavy metal vocalist sounds like.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
I'm probably going against popular opinion here, but I don't think Geoff Tate has EVER sounded good. His vocals have always been pretty lolsy to my ears. Even in his finest 80's moments, he's always seemed like a muppetized caricature of what a good hard-rock/heavy metal vocalist sounds like.

Agreed.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What would be funny is if Tate's album ends up being better than QR's.

Lots of expectations on the QR album, but none on Tate's.

Just saying.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have zero expectations for either.  Neither has done anything since the mid 90s to make me believe that they can suddenly deliver a consistently good record.

Offline ronnibran

I have zero expectations for either.  Neither has done anything since the mid 90s to make me believe that they can suddenly deliver a consistently good record.

This is exactly how I feel.  I just wasn't able to organize my thoughts into one sentence and I didn't want to ramble.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

I never really like QR either but reading about QR drama is always fun.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yeah, I hear you.  But the band and writing dynamic since then has been a bit unusual, too.  Through Promised Land, the writing was ALWAYS very collaborative, with Chris DeGarmo being the glue that held everything together and put all the other members' ideas into something cohesive.  Pretty much everyone contributed somewhat, even if it was just ideas, and Wilton contributed heavily.  Then you get to Hear In The Now Frontier, and everything changes because, for the first time, Chris not only has a new direction, but it is him completely in charge and doing most of the writing himself.  (and, for the record, I LOVE that album and rank it ahead of several of their "classics")  But after that, things REALLY change, and you can see how the writing dynamic is different on all the other albums going forward:
-Q2K:  The band is more or less collaborating, but Kelly Gray is heavily contributing, and Geoff is really driving the ship.  Although this album as a whole didn't work for me, it also represents a big shakeup in their lineup AND their writing dynamic.  I would have liked to have seen where their sound would have gone if Kelly stayed onboard as a member of the band and they had kept the collaborative writing style.  But it's easy to see why this album was such an anomaly in terms of sound and style.
-Tribe:  A very "hit and miss" album for most fans.  There are songs that many consider a true return to form.  And there is good reason for that.  Chris was temporarily back in the band, and wrote with them for some of the songs.  But the fact that he did not participate in all of them, and the fact that he didn't stay on to complete the product created an album that was kind of all over the place.  There was a lot on there that sounded perfectly in place with the classic Queensryche sound, and a lot that was just not very good.  Again, a very inconsistent album.  But where Chris and the rest of the guys are involved together, it mostly sounds great.
-Mindcrime II:  This is the big departure.  Geoff is now in charge and the other guys are not writing or contributing hardly at all.  Most songs are written by an outside writer (Slater) under Tate's direction.  In fact, some of the songs are were pre-written for an entirely different band, but they were unused, and Tate liked them, so they were reworked with Tate's creative ideas.  Not a band effort by any stretch.  But the few songs that have contributions by other band members (e.g. Murderer?, the main riff of which was written by Wilton) sound pretty good.
-American Soldier:  Same approach as Mindcrime II, but with even less contribuation by anyone not named Tate or Slater. 
-Dedicated To Chaos:  Again, the same, with some ideas contributed by Scott.

But the above is not written to defend Queensryche.  I point all of that out to justify why I actually do have some good expectations for the upcoming Queensryche official album.  1.  They are writing together collaboratively as a band again for the first time really since Promised Land.  Three of the five guys involved here were part of this process back when it worked, and Wilton has again stepped back up to the forefront, from what I understand.  2.  Add to the mix two new guys in Parker and Todd who are proving that they understand and want to be part of and grow the Queensryche legacy by developing the classic Queensryche sound rather than coming in and changing it up.  3.  Add to the mix Jimbo Barton, who was involved with Empire and Promised Land and is a big reason those albums sounded as good as they do.  4.  And finally, and perhaps more importantly, the snippets that have been released so far, while too brief to draw any definite conclusions from, sound like Queensryche and sound a LOT better than most of what has been on any Queensryche album in a long time.

To sum up, I think there are very good reasons to have expectations for the Queensryche official album.  Yeah, it's easy for those expectations to be unrealistic--the band still has a lot to prove, and I think it's premature and unrealistic to just assume a complete return to form that will blow everyone away and silence the critics.  But by the same token, I think a reasonable return to form, and a pretty solid album are VERY reasonable expectations at this point given what we have to go on. 

The problem with the last few albums, minus Dedicated To Chaos, which was complete garbage, was that they were decent albums with some good high points, but lots of "just good" and lots of "not good" moments.  And I kept having to realize that if not for the fact that I'm a long-time Queensryche fan, if these were albums by some new band I was not yet into, I probably would not have wasted my time on them.  Here, I'm not expecting another Mindcrime, Empire, or Promised Land.  But I definitely AM expecting something that will make me say, "Yeah, no matter who wrote this, this is simply a very good album."