Author Topic: Geoff Tate's "Operation: Mindcrime" (not Queensryche)  (Read 148762 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
As long as Simon Wright didn't choke on somebody else's vomit, that's the main thing

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
The difference between "Spinal Tap" and "Geoff Tate's Queensryche" is that Spinal Tap is a real band.
:clap:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jammindude

The difference between "Spinal Tap" and "Geoff Tate's Queensryche" is that Spinal Tap is a real band.

I second this :clap:

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I second this :clap:

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also I just realized she is reading 50 Shades of GRAY. Just a funny thought, coincidence, if you wish :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Also I just realized she is reading 50 Shades of GRAY. Just a funny thought, coincidence, if you wish :biggrin:
:lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Probably thinks it's his biography.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Lowdz

Probably thinks it's his biography.

That's how they roll in the Tate household.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Now I'm worried Brian Tichy will be the next victim of spontaneous combustion while drumming, and he'll be replaced by Joe "Mama" Besser.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Disclaimer: I've heard the last 3 Queensryche albums and now this one probably one time each.

F.U. is bad, but they all are. It's worse than American Soldier. It's better than Dedicated to Chaos. It's on slightly worse than O:MII, though without the expectation that it'll be as good as O:M. Still, I can't see how it's bad enough to convince people who supported the band over the last 15 years, especially with DtC, to finally stage their exodus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
A friend emailed me this review this morning, for good laughs:

https://gunshyassassin.com/reviews/tateryche-frequency-unknown-an-in-depth-review/

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Mladen

A friend emailed me this review this morning, for good laughs:

https://gunshyassassin.com/reviews/tateryche-frequency-unknown-an-in-depth-review/

:lol :lol :lol :lol

My favorite part:

Rather than using a numerical rating system, I’ll just list things that are better than this album:
Accidentally sitting on your balls, Sarah Silverman’s jokes, the New York Jets, sitting on a toilet seat covered in pee, jacking off to the winter clothing section of a JC Penney catalog, baseball double-headers, William Hung, pink eye, Blaze Bailey singing “The Trooper,” broccoli (fucking disgusting), dipping buffalo wings in ranch dressing, using a dental dam, Internet Explorer, waking up and finding your dog is dead, Ted Nugent’s political views, Sharon Osbourne naked, smelling Zakk Wylde’s beard, John Cena, owning every season of “Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica,” and whiskey dick.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wow.  Billboard (deservedly) blasted the album pretty hard.

QUEENSRźCHE

"Frequency Unknown"

Producer: Jason Slater

Deadline Music/Cleopatra Records

Release Date: April 23

Since Queensr˙che fired Geoff Tate last June and the band’s internal conflicts came to light, the singer has publicly declared himself the mastermind behind the group’s output since guitarist Chris DeGarmo left in 1997. Tate has forged on -- amid a pending lawsuit -- by assembling a second Queensr˙che and inviting such guests as guitarists Brad Gillis and K.K. Downing to contribute to a new album. His day of musical reckoning has arrived with "Frequency Unknown," a title no-so-coincidentally abbreviated as F.U.

Tate punctuates the semi-hard rock record's theme by lyrically throwing the bird ("Slave," "Dare") and justifying his stance with the gripping "In the Hands of God.” Material like the latter track, the ruminating “Fallen” and nearly epic "Weight of the World" deserve praise for their melodies and journey-like pace, but nothing on "Frequency Unknown" sounds like the finely crafted rock he designed with his former bandmates. Whatever duress those post-DeGarmo albums were created under, they still (2011’s "Dedicated to Chaos" notwithstanding) sounded like Queensr˙che, thanks to intriguing atmospherics, compelling dual-guitar interplay, sophisticated tone and arresting hooks. None of those elements are heard on this "Frequency."

An 11th-hour remix provoked by fan complaints of the album’s prerelease samples show its audio quality has improved. But nothing could have saved the hits Tate re-recorded from Queensr˙che’s commercial peak: “Empire,” “Silent Lucidity,” “Jet City Woman” and “I Don’t Believe in Love.” Here, those engineering masterpieces are sonic embarrassments, and Tate hurts his own singing legacy by submitting vocal tracks full of cracked notes and congestion. Despite his resolve to flip off the haters, the only person he screws with "F.U." is himself.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/review/1559148/queensryche-frequency-unknown-album-review

I do have to say that the track Dave Meniketti plays on is actually not bad, and Dave rips it up on the solo.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
A clip from last night's performance in Sacramento.  Infinite loop settings to highlight a very painful moment.  And no, this is NOT fake.

https://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=lDuScMz_Yeo&p=n#/216;221

"Oh, Geoff sounds just as great on vocals now as he did 20 years ago."  Yeah, right.

Offline Lowdz

A clip from last night's performance in Sacramento.  Infinite loop settings to highlight a very painful moment.  And no, this is NOT fake.

"Oh, Geoff sounds just as great on vocals now as he did 20 years ago."  Yeah, right.

"Someone... Please stop it" indeed.

Offline PowerSlave

The video has been removed. Hopefully it pops up elsewhere.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
LOL

If I'm hearing that right, Tate sounds like a dying animal straining through the song. But, then he holds the note for too long, and accidently crashes into a previously recorded version of him singing a high note.

That's just amazing.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
https://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=1hso5qKBQKc&p=n#/76;83

I had to listen to it a few times before I could even tell what part of the song that was supposed to be.  It doesn't even sound human, honestly. :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
What in the plaid green fuck is that?   :rollin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I love seeing Geoff crash and burn  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's really quite sad to me that one of the best rock/metal voices of all time, and probably the best at the time in the late eighties has become what he has.  It's not only his vocals but his attitude and just how delusional he really is.  It's quite depressing.

And to think that the dick in all these videos almost did a project with Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson.  That alone shows how much he has fallen, but with no ones fault but his own.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree with Wolf. It's sad that its come down to this for Tate.  He's an ass and he deserved a lot of what has happened to him, but enough is enough. At this point I feel bad for him and actually wish he would go away just so that people will leave him alone. I wanted to give this last disc a chance but its just not good at all.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PowerSlave

With your permission, I plan on using this phrase at the next appropriate ( or inappropriate) opportunity that presents itself to me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree with Wolf. It's sad that its come down to this for Tate.  He's an ass and he deserved a lot of what has happened to him, but enough is enough. At this point I feel bad for him and actually wish he would go away just so that people will leave him alone. I wanted to give this last disc a chance but its just not good at all.

I still gotta listen to the new album, so I have a little hope but after I hear it, we'll see.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
https://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=1hso5qKBQKc&p=n#/76;83

My god, that can't be real, can it?

Oh fuck, it IS. What the hell happened there?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
I almost went to this show...  :rollin

Offline Mladen

That video made me sad. I can't believe that's the same person whose voice once made Operation: Mindcrime so wonderful. It's such a shame he's not taking care of his voice.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
I almost went to this show...  :rollin
We told ya, eh :D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

With your permission, I plan on using this phrase at the next appropriate ( or inappropriate) opportunity that presents itself to me.

Go for it  :corn

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Question for Bosk: since the corporate bylaws seem to make it pretty clear that a majority of the shareholders can oust a fourth, why is this even a discussion? I gather Tate's calling for the dissolution of the corporation, but why is that even an option? Seems like the third might well be acting as dicks, but it also seems like it's a right that Tate signed off on back in '89.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It's a bit more complicated than that.  But as relevant to the question you posed, he isn't seeking dissolution of the corporation.  He is claiming they couldn't oust him.  And part of the problem is that, strictly going by the bylaws, the band has a problem because they never bothered to amend the bylaws after Chris left, and as I recall, the old bylaws say that you need 4/5 to agree to oust somebody.  There are several layers of issues, but the other big issue is that he probably wants a lot more out of the payout to get rid of him (including use of the name) than they are willing to give him.