Author Topic: The 2012 NFL Thread  (Read 288394 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: The 2012 NFL Thread
« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
I feel the same way about the Packers... but it's the first preseason game... if I recall last year we lost to the browns the first game last year... the first game kinks are being worked out, we have a new center and a bunch of new defensives guys so I'm not too worried
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
I've lived in Arizona since 85' and I still hate the Cardinals.   :lol
Which must make you a Cowboys fan.

I gave it some thought, and I can only think of 3 teams that I really can't stand:
Eagles--asshole fans
Steelers--asshole players and fans
Cowboys--heartless players and annoying fans

I don't really have any regards one way or the other about the rest of the teams (Patriots withstanding, obviously). 

Something else that I'm curious about.  Do all of these people who get so worked up about the team that plays in their city (looking in your direction, Floyd) care about watching games that only involve other teams?  I've gotten to where I enjoy good football more than any one team.  I'll watch the best game, regardless of who's playing.  I couldn't imagine watching "my team" in a shitty game when there's a great game going on two channels over.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
I had NFL Sunday Ticket for the first time last season and damn near had lotion and Kleenex within arm's reach for the better part of the season. Furthermore, if you get Sunday Ticket, starting at midnight each week when Sunday transitions into Monday they begin airing their Short Cuts presentations of the games. It's a 25-30 minute commercial-free version of the game where every single play from the game is shown by cutting from one play to the next snap as soon as the whistle's blown. Unfortunately, I didn't know I had this feature until week 5 but from that point on I have every single game recorded in HD onto DVD+R for their Short Cuts plus every primetime national broadcast and Saints game in full 3-hour normal format since Sunday Ticket doesn't cover national broadcasts (i.e. primetime games.)

I have all 11 playoff games as well as LSU's full 2011 season minus their nontelevised Northwestern State game early in the season as well as all 5 BCS games.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
Oh my god I'm so glad it's football season again.

Not that I'm really going to get to watch much football again this season due to my shit work schedule, but we are fast approaching my favorite time of year, and that makes me very happy :)
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
Being originally from green Bay and Now living in Chicago I deal with aot of that... I do care about other teams but not as much afc teams... I care more about NFC teams and ESP NFC north teams.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
I think so too but I'm still a little curious to see how smoothly we're gonna flow in Payton's absence. Brees is a cerebral beast and I'm curious if he'll have both the ability as well as the blessing of his coaching staff to fully reign in the offense under his command.

Btw, how'd your Ravens do against the failcons tonight?

Starters on offense looked sluggish out of the gates, but I can live with that. Matt Ryan picked apart our defense.

Our backups did great. Curtis Painter looked like an All-Pro in garbage time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:37 PM »
Not that I'm really going to get to watch much football again this season due to my shit work schedule, but we are fast approaching my favorite time of year, and that makes me very happy :)

That was my case last year where I worked 12 hours Sundays and Mondays so I never got to watch the NFL.  Now my schedule has changed and I am off on Sundays, I cant wait to relax and watch football all day on Sunday... assuming the lady lets me of course.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41:12 AM »
I don't take preseason losses all that badly but, since our first unit (obviously the only real important part of the game), played so impotently, getting a victory in this game was the only thing that could give me some shred of solace.
I've missed you hating your favorite team.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2012, 04:46:23 AM »
 :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2012, 04:47:33 AM »
Pack lost to the Chargers (shut it, Loney :lol ), Texans play Saturday night.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »
Rams get to have the first look at Andrew Luck Sunday  :metal

GO RAMS!!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »
Ryan Mathews got hurt on his first carry of the preseason and is out 4-6 weeks.  Shocking. :lol :lol :lol

But on a FF note, I am bummed, as I was laughing at cheat sheets that had him going as a mid first round pick :eek :eek :eek :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin, and now I won't get to see someone overpay for him.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »
I've lived in Arizona since 85' and I still hate the Cardinals.   :lol
Which must make you a Cowboys fan.

I gave it some thought, and I can only think of 3 teams that I really can't stand:
Eagles--asshole fans
Steelers--asshole players and fans
Cowboys--heartless players and annoying fans

I don't really have any regards one way or the other about the rest of the teams (Patriots withstanding, obviously). 

Something else that I'm curious about.  Do all of these people who get so worked up about the team that plays in their city (looking in your direction, Floyd) care about watching games that only involve other teams?  I've gotten to where I enjoy good football more than any one team.  I'll watch the best game, regardless of who's playing.  I couldn't imagine watching "my team" in a shitty game when there's a great game going on two channels over.

I'm shocked.  Since when did you stop being a Cowboys fan?  Unless I'm mistaken.  I pretty much agree with your post.  I love a good football game no matter who's playing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
I'm shocked.  Since when did you stop being a Cowboys fan?  Unless I'm mistaken.  I pretty much agree with your post.  I love a good football game no matter who's playing.
When the team completely laid down for Wade Phillips.  I was very vocal that I thought Phillips was a bad head coach, but what the players did to him was absolutely pathetic.  If they had been a shitty team and gone 0-16, I would still be a fan.  Fact is they were a very good team that just didn't give a shit.  They wouldn't step up when Phillips was dangling in the wind, and this was a man's livelihood we're talking about.  They wouldn't step up for basic pride.  Those assholes were making on average 1.6 million per player, and they wouldn't even make any effort to play.  Then as soon as Phillips is gone, they suddenly decide to start trying.

Those guys are gutless, heartless losers, and I have no respect for any of them.  As I said at the time and still maintain, I hope they have season after season of 0 wins and high injuries until all of them are gone and replaced with players that give a fuck.  Given Jone's track record, I wouldn't count on that anytime soon.

A secondary issue is that God-awful stadium.  I'm saddened that the tornado didn't obliterate it last year.  It's a remarkable testament to everything that's wrong with the NFL right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
ummmm...so you're a 'Boys fan, but in waiting? :lol So, right now you effectively don't have a favorite team?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
When the team completely laid down for Wade Phillips.  I was very vocal that I thought Phillips was a bad head coach, but what the players did to him was absolutely pathetic.  If they had been a shitty team and gone 0-16, I would still be a fan.  Fact is they were a very good team that just didn't give a shit.  They wouldn't step up when Phillips was dangling in the wind, and this was a man's livelihood we're talking about.  They wouldn't step up for basic pride.  Those assholes were making on average 1.6 million per player, and they wouldn't even make any effort to play.  Then as soon as Phillips is gone, they suddenly decide to start trying.

Those guys are gutless, heartless losers, and I have no respect for any of them.  As I said at the time and still maintain, I hope they have season after season of 0 wins and high injuries until all of them are gone and replaced with players that give a fuck.  Given Jone's track record, I wouldn't count on that anytime soon.

A secondary issue is that God-awful stadium.  I'm saddened that the tornado didn't obliterate it last year.  It's a remarkable testament to everything that's wrong with the NFL right now.

I couldn't agree with you more.  But the problem starts at the top.  I blame JJ for everything.  He gives money to all these players thinking that will motivate them, when all it does is make them lazy and careless.  It's a new generation of overpaid prima donnas who want money now and championships later.  It's a leadership problem.  Great teams are built by great leaders who know how to draft the right players and coach them well.  Dallas hasn't had that in a long time and it sucks, but I'm not changing teams.  I've been a fan for 20 years and sticking with them, but I can also understand why so many people hate them.  Like you said, the problem is becoming rampant all over the league.  All we can do is hope that it doesn't get worse.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
ummmm...so you're a 'Boys fan, but in waiting? :lol So, right now you effectively don't have a favorite team?
I'm a Patriots fan of many years.  And I wouldn't expect the Cowboys to return to favor for a very long time. 

I couldn't agree with you more.  But the problem starts at the top.  I blame JJ for everything.  He gives money to all these players thinking that will motivate them, when all it does is make them lazy and careless.  It's a new generation of overpaid prima donnas who want money now and championships later.  It's a leadership problem.  Great teams are built by great leaders who know how to draft the right players and coach them well.  Dallas hasn't had that in a long time and it sucks, but I'm not changing teams.  I've been a fan for 20 years and sticking with them, but I can also understand why so many people hate them.  Like you said, the problem is becoming rampant all over the league.  All we can do is hope that it doesn't get worse.
Jerry's a mixed bag.  Everything you said about him is correct, and he's to be faulted for that.  At the same time, most teams don't have owners that actually give a shit.  Jerry, for all his faults, desperately wants to win and isn't shy about spending loads of cash to make it happen.  He's also exceptional when it comes to handling that money.  So while he's certainly to blame for a lot of the Cowboy's problems, I'd still rather have him as an owner than most of the others, who are either insane (Danny Snyder), or cheap bastards who won't sign any players. 

That's a big part of the reason I'm a Patriots fan.  It's not about the players.  It's the management and the coaching.  They sign football players; not prima donas.  And the bad apples that they do sign either get their act together of GTFO.  Moss is the perfect example of that.  The flipside of Moss is a player like Edelman, a receiver who made a huge contribution in the NFC confernce game covering Anquan Boldin.  I love players like that, and NE has a knack for digging them up.  Try asking Dez Bryant to cover a number one receiver and see how that works out.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
Ahhhh........gotcha!  :tup

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
My Giants play tonight!!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
Gotta give the G-Men mad props.  They don't get all the glam that teams like the Steelers, Pats and older dynasty teams get.  But hey...they just keep quietly winning Super Bowls. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
...and speaking of teams to hate.  :lol

I guess if I had to list mine, they would be (not necessarily in any order):

-Rams - Division rivalry going back forever.  Shoudl be self-explanatory.
-Seahawks - Other division rival.  Plus Holmgren.  So, yeah.
-Giants - Probably the 49ers' most significant and longstanding rival outside their division.  Plus, the last NFC championship game that they did not deserve.  Plus Eli.  Yeah...hate 'em.
-Cowboys - Not gonna waste keystrokes.
-Patriots - Probably just a temporary dislike, but I can't stand BB or Brady (although I'm starting to warm up a bit to Brady).  They committed the unforgivable sin of keeping Peyton's Colts out of the Superbowl several times.

Interestingly, the Cards are not on that list.  Even though they've been a division rival forever as well, they've never really done anything to garner any dislike, and they have a habit of having pretty likeable players.  I pretty much only hate 'em for 2 games a year.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
OK.....  I'll take the Bosky challenge... :lol

Teams I Hate....In order

1. 49ers - hated division rival
2. Eagles - I have to hate anyone who pays a POS like Vick, plus their fans are assholes
3. Cowboys - I never remember getting a ballot to vote them "Americas team"  :tdwn
4. Raiders - Just can't stand the general thugery that has always surrounded them
5. Pats - They cheated and probably stole a SB from us
6. Seahawks - pain in the ass division rival

No one else really falls into the "Hate" category.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:05 PM »

Sadly, that happens way too often.  A team basically gives up on a coach, and goes on a bad losing streak where you can tell they aren't all in (probably went through the motions in practice, and you usually play how you practice).  And then they get a new coach who gets them excited about playing again, and all of a sudden they start playing well again.  Not saying it is right, but it happens a lot.

That's a big part of the reason I'm a Patriots fan.  It's not about the players.  It's the management and the coaching.  They sign football players; not prima donas.  And the bad apples that they do sign either get their act together of GTFO.  Moss is the perfect example of that.  The flipside of Moss is a player like Edelman, a receiver who made a huge contribution in the NFC confernce game covering Anquan Boldin.  I love players like that, and NE has a knack for digging them up.  Try asking Dez Bryant to cover a number one receiver and see how that works out.

Yep. I might not like the Patriots or the Steelers, but you have to admire the way their organizations are run.  It is no mystery why both are top contenders almost every season.  It all starts at the top.

-Giants - Probably the 49ers' most significant and longstanding rival outside their division. Plus, the last NFC championship game that they did not deserve.  Plus Eli.  Yeah...hate 'em.

???

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »
Thank you for all te cowboys hate... Have hated them since they beat the packers three years in a row in the playoffs and hate Jerry jones with a passion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Thank you for all te cowboys hate... Have hated them since they beat the packers three years in a row in the playoffs and hate Jerry jones with a passion.

I thought that was the one stain on the Packers 1996 Super Bowl-winning team: they still didn't get over the Dallas hump that year, losing that stupid game to them on Monday night where Dallas' kicker kicked 7 field goals, and then they avoided them in the playoffs when the Panthers beat the Cowboys in the divisional round (robbing of us of another GB/Dallas showdown). They did finally beat the Cowboys the following season, but it's really too bad that that SB-winning team still couldn't beat Dallas the year they won it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »
Yeah, Ole Brett completely fell apart every time he played down here.  Pretty damn funny, actually. 
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »

I thought that was the one stain on the Packers 1996 Super Bowl-winning team: they still didn't get over the Dallas hump that year, losing that stupid game to them on Monday night where Dallas' kicker kicked 7 field goals, and then they avoided them in the playoffs when the Panthers beat the Cowboys in the divisional round (robbing of us of another GB/Dallas showdown). They did finally beat the Cowboys the following season, but it's really too bad that that SB-winning team still couldn't beat Dallas the year they won it.
Yeah, at the end of the divisional round game Lambeau was filled with "we want Dallas" chants.  I think one of the announcers quipped something along the lines of, are these fans stupid?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »

Yeah, at the end of the divisional round game Lambeau was filled with "we want Dallas" chants.  I think one of the announcers quipped something along the lines of, are these fans stupid?

If Dallas played at Lambeau we would've beat'em.  I hated Cowboys stadium with it's stupid charge music playing every 5 seconds.  The new stadium I can't hate too much (yet) because I don't think we've lost there since it's been built.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
Meh, who knows who would have won.  It turned out just fine the way that it did.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2012, 08:15:44 PM »
Meh, who knows who would have won.  It turned out just fine the way that it did.

True dat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: August 11, 2012, 01:54:54 AM »
Wow the replacement refs are terrible.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #276 on: August 11, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
Ok, here's my REAL list of most hated teams... :P

1.  Cowboys
2.  Steelers
3.  Patriots
4.  Broncos
5.  Eagles

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #277 on: August 11, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
RAMS! SUPERBOWL!

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »
My most hated.

1. Cowboys
2. Ravens
3. Steelers
4. Raiders
5. Saints

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
I tend to hate certain fans of teams like the Steelers rather than the teams. 

My answer is I hate the team the Pats are playing that week.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC