Author Topic: The 2012 NFL Thread  (Read 288408 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The 2012 NFL Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
I believe he and his father thought the Chargers were a bad organization to be a part of, and one which could not be successful.

I think the New York Market was a lot more attractive to them as well.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:42 AM »
Although this story could've easily made me nauseous with how dumb society is, I still found it quite funny.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »
Although this story could've easily made me nauseous with how dumb society is, I still found it quite funny.
If I had 1500 dollars to throw away and Aaron Rodgers drew a stupid doodle, I'd probably buy it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »
Anyone else watching HBO's Hard Knocks?  I'm loving it.  That part of the NFL fascinates me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
Anyone else watching HBO's Hard Knocks?  I'm loving it.  That part of the NFL fascinates me.

I haven't watched this season but I've seen the past few. Is there anything in particular that makes this different or better than previous years?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
It doesn't hold my attention. It seems like their pattern is to go for gimmicky flash-first results-never teams like the Cowboys, Bengals, and Jets and when that isn't available they just settle for the first sub-.500 to show up with a pen to sign on the dotted line. What would interest me is to see the inner workings of perennial contenders; what they do to foster good morale, how they keep key players hungry and avoid complacency, etc.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
It doesn't hold my attention. It seems like their pattern is to go for gimmicky flash-first results-never teams like the Cowboys, Bengals, and Jets and when that isn't available they just settle for the first sub-.500 to show up with a pen to sign on the dotted line. What would interest me is to see the inner workings of perennial contenders; what they do to foster good morale, how they keep key players hungry and avoid complacency, etc.

Those teams are smart enough to stay away from the distractions like hard knocks and also don't need to rely on a reality show to get people interested in the team.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »
True.

I just like that it is a new coach and therefore a new regime.  It's neat to see him bring his influence to the team.  And all the inner workings, coaches meetings, the GM, and all that stuff.  And I got to see Chad Johnson get let go.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »

Hmm, The Cowboys were on Hard Knocks in 2002, the Bengals in 09, The Jets in 2010..

I personally love it. But yes, every season follows the same pattern, so you see the drills, the rookies, the study sessions etc - That is what training camp is all about so HBO can't do that much differently. Training camp is the same all over the league.

But yes I would like to see big clubs participate in Hard Knocks but I think it is harder than we think for HBO to find teams willing to let cameras inside their facility and publicly display their team to everyone. I think they get a lot of turn downs. Many teams and coaches will find it a distraction that they don't want for their football team. So HBO gotta settle with whoever they can get.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »

I watched the first episode.  Have the other 2 DVR'd and I can't wait to see the Chad debacle.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #325 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
I heard about the Chad thing from a co-worker and he said to check it out.  Still haven't.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2012, 04:57:53 AM »
Wow, Russell Wilson is looking great for the Seahawks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »
Fuck!

It's only preseason and I'm already beginning to think that our defense will be bad enough to negate our incredible offense :blackfloyd:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
:splent: :splent2: :splent3:

There's gotta be a Packers icon like :blackfloyd: seriously
I don’t know what to put here anymore

• DT.net Member
« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »
The fleur de lis is iconic though. Heck, y'all's "G" is identical to UGA.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: August 25, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
The fleur de lis is iconic though. Heck y'all's "G" is identical to UGA.

Except that UGA took the logo from the Packers!!!  Packers G was created in 1961.

The Packers hold the trademark on the "G" logo, and have granted limited permission to other organizations to utilize a similar logo, such as the University of Georgia and Grambling State University.[46] Adopted in 1964, the Georgia "G", though different in design and color, was similar to the Packers' "G". Then-Georgia head coach Vince Dooley thought it best to clear the use of Georgia's new emblem with the Packers.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #331 on: August 25, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070326034239AAoFjNK

Actually, the answer is both teams had it first. Green Bay used the oval "G" first while Georgia was using more of a block letter. Georgia redesigned theirs (with a commercial artist in charge of "branding" the emblem) and it was a close match for the Green Bay "G". They even got permission from Green Bay to use it. Then Green Bay redesigned theirs, and it shifted away from the oval "G". Later, Green Bay went back to the oval "G", and the few distinctions between the original Green Bay "G" and the sleek Georgia "G" of the 1960s were eliminated. So basically, Georgia came close to Green Bay's emblem with a slightly different "G", then Green Bay eventually switched to the same "G". Neither is generally considered a coy or rip-off. Both franchises seem to enjoy the emblem, though.

This is the article from the UGA website:

In 1963 after becoming the Bulldogs' Head Football Coach, Vince Dooley redesigned the football uniform choosing a red helmet with a black "G" on a white background as the dominant feature of the new uniform for the 1964 season.

He discussed with his staff that a forward-looking "G" would be an appropriate emblem for the helmet of the Georgia team. Dooley had just hired John Donaldson, former Georgia player from 1945 to 1948, as backfield coach. John was keen on the idea of a new image and volunteered his wife, Anne, who had a BFA in commercial art from UGA to design a logo for the new Georgia helmet with the general specifications Dooley had outlined. Dooley accepted Anne's original "G" which fit his vision for a forward look to Georgia's new emblem.

Since the Georgia "G"- though different in design and color- was similar to Green Bay's "G", Coach Dooley thought it best to clear the use of Georgia's new emblem with the NFL team. Athletic Director Joel Eaves called for permission which was granted. However, since its inception in 1961, the Green Bay "G" has been redesigned several times and now looks like Georgia's original 1964 "G." Georgia is proud that the Packers apparently liked the special nuances of the Bulldogs' forward-looking "G."

Georgia's oval "G", eventually replacing Georgia's old block "G" as the official UGA symbol, has stood the test of time. It made its first appearance in the opening game in 1964 and was an immediate hit with the Georgia fans, especially after Dooley's first three teams were so successful--highlighted by the 1966 SEC Championship.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
However, Green Bay has the trademark, but gave Georgia permission to use it.  Grambling State uses it too but I'm not sure on their status on permission.

https://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2071363

• DT.net Member
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
However, since its inception in 1961, the Green Bay "G" has been redesigned several times and now looks like Georgia's original 1964 "G." Georgia is proud that the Packers apparently liked the special nuances of the Bulldogs' forward-looking "G."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
However, since its inception in 1961, the Green Bay "G" has been redesigned several times and now looks like Georgia's original 1964 "G." Georgia is proud that the Packers apparently liked the special nuances of the Bulldogs' forward-looking "G."

The Packers basically had the first logo, which was very very similar except that it was more of a football shape than the oval shape.  However the difference is very subtle.  The way Georgia designed it was more of the oval shape, but basically the same other than that.  So the Packers had it first, Georgia perfected it, and the Packers adopted Georgia's perfections.

Regardless, the Packers still hold the trademark for the G logo.  And, unless you are from Georgia, you see the G and think Packers, not Bulldogs.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Good game against the Saints tonight - first Texans preseason game I was able to watch.  Wanted the Texans to win, but this is just making me want the regular season to just go ahead and start already.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #336 on: August 29, 2012, 08:04:20 AM »
Alright.  I'm calling the '9ers season @ 12-4.  That is all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #337 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
The final week of preseason, TG.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »
The final week of preseason, TG.
Yes.

Opening Sunday is on my (and lonestar's) birthday!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #339 on: August 30, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »
Right on, good way to start the season.  The big 4 0 huh?  Welcome to the next phase of getting old.  :biggrin:  :hat

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #340 on: August 30, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Alright.  I'm calling the '9ers season @ 12-4.  That is all.

I'm going with 11-5. I think 10-6 will be good enough for postseason too.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #341 on: August 30, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
8-8 can probably win that division for the 9ers considering the Seahawks are easily the 9ers' stiffest competition this year when you look at the <5-wins-a-year holding pattern the Rams can't seem to break out of coupled with the Cards' complete inability to catch a break at starting QB.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #342 on: August 30, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
...and only six teams in the last ten seasons have missed the playoffs with at least 10-6 record, not exactly going out on a limb. :p  During that same time frame 21 teams have made it with a worse record.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #343 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
It'd be funny if the 9ers unexpectedly fell off the face of the earth this year and someone from the NFC West snuck in at 6-10. Tell me the NFL wouldn't alter it's playoff format then.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #344 on: August 30, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
They wouldn't.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #345 on: August 30, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
Seattle seems to be the popular sleeper pick these days for surprise playoff team, but I am not sure I see it, and I think many are forgetting that Pete Carroll isn't nearly as good of an NFL head coach as he is a college coach (47-49 in six NFL seasons as a head coach).

• DT.net Member
« Reply #346 on: August 30, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
They wouldn't.

You have no way of knowing that.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #347 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
No, I don't, but you asked me to tell you that.

...and I don't honestly think they would change it even if some division pulled off the miraculous 3-13 4-way tie.  This format is popular and provides many small races against rivals.  A fluke team with a losing record every now and then is hardly worth going to a playoff system even more reliant on unbalanced schedules.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #348 on: August 30, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
While we're discussing playoff scenario anomalies, I wonder what's the best possible record someone could miss the playoffs with. It's obviously mathematically possible for all four teams in a division to go 3-3 in the division and run the table for the rest of their schedule leaving all four teams at 13-3 with the team that fell to the bottom of the tiebreaking shuffle left on the outside looking in. I just wonder if the scheduling format is balanced in a way that prevents a 14-2 team from missing out under any circumstances whatsoever.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
It should be possible to have 8 14-2 teams in a conference, although it depends on the 2 floating games each team has.  I don't know the specific details on those.

Scenario:

NFC always beats AFC, so each NFC team goes 4-0.
Top two teams in each NFC division go 5-1, splitting the games against each other.
Top two teams in each NFC division got 3-1 against the matched NFC division, losing their game to one of the top two opposite divisions teams. A1 > B1, B1 > A2, A2> B2, B2 > A1

That puts 8 teams at 12-2 with the two floating games left.  If no floating game matched two of the 12-2 teams each of them could go 2-0.  That's certainly possible if there are no interrelated restrictions on the floating games, namely no odd cycles, A vs B, B vs C, C vs A.  I don't remember the scheduling rules well enough to say.