Author Topic: The 2012 NFL Thread  (Read 284637 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
The 2012 NFL Thread
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
It feels weird posting in the old one about the upcoming season, so here's a new thread.

To kick it off: Locker room audio has come out of Gregg Williams telling his defense to injure like, half the players on the 49ers roster.
https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7778005/gregg-williams-told-new-orleans-saints-hurt-san-francisco-49ers-speech

Williams can be heard in the audio recording instructing his defensive players to injure quarterback Alex Smith, running back Frank Gore, tight end Vernon Davis and receivers Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams.

According to Pamphilon, Gregg Williams pointed to his chin while telling his players to hit Smith "right there" and says, "Remember me. I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that m----------- out."

Williams uses one of his favorite slogans in the speech -- "Kill the head and the body will die."

On Gore: "We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways."

On running back Kendall Hunter: "Little 32, we're going to knock the f--- out of him."

On Smith: "Every single one of you, before you get off the pile, affect the head. Early, affect the head. Continue, touch and hit the head."

On Kyle Williams: "We need to find out in the first two series of the game, that little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion. We need to f------ put a lick on him right now. He needs to decide. He needs to f------ decide."

On Crabtree: "We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna, or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find out. He becomes human when we f------ take out that outside ACL."

On Davis: "We need to decide how many times we can bull rush and and we can f------ put Vernon Davis' ankles over the pile."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The 2012 NFL Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:11:14 PM »
First!

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
I don't care that they targeted the 49ers. Best game of the playoffs by far and the 49ers won it. Alex Smith showed em up with the rush TD and game winning throw and catch.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »
Kind of funny that last year's thread started with James Harrison and this year it's the Saints.  Never thought that would happen.  Maybe Harrison should play for the Saints.  He'd probably feel right at home.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
It's really unfortunate that the Saints were the only team in the NFL at any point in time ever to utilize such methods.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
I know, right?  And it's not like rule-breaking/corruption and the city of New Orleans have never come up as part of the same topic before.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
It's really unfortunate that the Saints were the only team in the NFL at any point in time ever to utilize such methods.

Your sarcasm won't hide the fact that the Saints were dumb enough to not cease and desist after being ordered by the league to do so.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
I know, right?  And it's not like rule-breaking/corruption and the city of New Orleans have never come up as part of the same topic before.
:lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »
So now San Fran is nothing more than a gay bar I guess :justjen

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »
Baseball, folks. Baseball.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
Baseball, folks. Baseball.
More boring than watching paint dry!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »

Your sarcasm won't hide the fact that the Saints were dumb enough to not cease and desist after being ordered by the league to do so.

I feel the same about the Pats.  They got the memo about the camera's like every other team before the season.  We got what we deserved.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
I expect a strong first half of the season for the Giants with lots of talk about being the best NFC team around week 7, a win and a loss against the Eagles, mediocrity in weeks 9-17, and implosion in the wildcard round.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Bill Simmons just wrote a great article on Grantland about this.
https://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7779341/when-do-draw-line-nfl-violence

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »

I feel the same about the Pats.  They got the memo about the camera's like every other team before the season.  We got what we deserved.

I used to hold the Pats in high regard before spygate.  Now, the Saints let me down.  Not that I was a fan but admired what they did and supposedly what they represented.  What a shame...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
Though fan do get on the high horse about this stuff when we as fans know for damn sure this stuff happens.  If you don't think other teams (not all) don't have a bounty program, your naive.  Just like the video taping.  Jimmy Johnson came out and said he did the same thing with the Cowboys on their run, steroids in the 70's.

What pissed me off as a Pats fan was that the NFL gave the Pats and all the other teams warnings not to video tape before the start of the 2007 season and the arrogance of BB that he still still did it.  Same goes for the Saints since they received warnings since 2009.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »
Yeah. SP and GW were stupid shits for pulling an Icarus by flying that close to the sun but they never fucking did anything that gave them any unfair competitive advantage whatsoever so that's where I fail to see why folks feel the need to rag on them. They were stupid but did nothing whatsoever to give themselves an unfair advantage. The refs on the field never had guns to their head to discourage them from throwing flags for unnecessary roughness and on all plays the defense for any team is trying to decapitate the other team's ball carrier.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »

lolsaints

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
So apparently Tebow is gonna be the punt protector for the Jets....

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »
So apparently Tebow is gonna be the punt protector for the Jets...
I'd call that a fine move.  In fact, I'd teach the guy to punt.  I'd trade a short loss on average distance for the terror of constantly worrying about him taking off on you.  Even as just the blocker, other teams will have to cover them differently.  This will hamper their ability to block or return punts.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Oh boy, the 1st day of the draft.  Can't wait!

:umno:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
I'd call that a fine move.  In fact, I'd teach the guy to punt.  I'd trade a short loss on average distance for the terror of constantly worrying about him taking off on you.  Even as just the blocker, other teams will have to cover them differently.  This will hamper their ability to block or return punts.
Yeah. It's actually an excellent move on their part. He'll be a constant threat.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »
The San Francisco 49ers have traded up and with the #1 pick they select Andrew Luck! They gave up all their draft picks this draft and next draft and Alex Smith. Its 100% worth it.

How much seriously would it take to get the Luck I wonder.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
That would certainly get Luck for them, except that the trade would probably be blocked for being so lopsided in favor of the Colts.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Yeah. It's actually an excellent move on their part. He'll be a constant threat.
Oh yea, but I find funny that what was, probably, the most dominating sports story last year is now a punt protector.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »
I hope there's a lot of activity in this thread tonight.  I will be logged on through out the duration of the first round.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
Oh yea, but I find funny that what was, probably, the most dominating sports story last year is now a punt protector.
He'll do a variety of things.

Were it me, I'd find one opportunity a game to run a fake punt.  Plenty of them would fail, of course, but after a few weeks the effect on your punting game would be pronounced. 

And that dude would already be working with the deep snapper learning to hold for kicks, too. 
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »
I don't even care what they do with him; just win god dammit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
Two Game 7s in hockey > ESPN ruining the NFL draft with their annoying analysts

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
I don't even care what they do with him; just win god dammit.
What's the over/under on how many days until Rex Ryan guarantees the Super Bowl, Joe?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
Probably his first interview after the draft.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »
...so if he does win a Super Bowl, is he going to say ,"see, didn't I guarantee it?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »
And with the Patriots first pick of 2 in the first round, they take...........WHO?

That's how it will be played out. :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
And with the Patriots first pick of 2 in the first round, they take...........WHO?

That's how it will be played out. :lol
Won't they trade one or both of them?
E.F. Benson