Author Topic: The 2012 NFL Thread  (Read 284866 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 2012 NFL Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
It is being reported that former NFL linebacker Junior Seau was found dead at his home this morning.  Possibly a suicide. 

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
Just about to hop on here and say the same.  That's really sad.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Wasn't he bipolar and roided up?  I seem to recall some trouble with him in the past.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Man this seems to happen a lot with former athletes who have abused their body due to thier sport, drugs...concussions....etc. I'm wondering if this is just one more case of that?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Well, Suggs is likely out for the season with a torn Achilles:

https://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828d650c/article/without-terrell-suggs-ravens-searching-for-pass-rush?module=HP11_headline_stack

That ladies and gentlmen is a fine example of you reap what you sew. The dude is a horrible individual off the field....and for me....well......I don't feel sorry for the guy one bit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

https://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828d650c/article/without-terrell-suggs-ravens-searching-for-pass-rush?module=HP11_headline_stack

That ladies and gentlmen is a fine example of you reap what you sew.

Ironically, his mother is a seamstress, so I guess that is fitting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
Anyone else catch Vilma's statement yesterday where he proclaimed his innocence?  All I have to say is :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
It's hilarious how not one shred of conclusive evidence to establish Vilma or Smith's involvement has surfaced yet folks are all over this like a bunch of retarded hyenas. About the only thing I've seen is Anthony Hargrove try to shift the blame to minimize his punishment and that dude was considered a dirty disreputable player during much of his time here.

I'll gladly back off my loyalist stance if Goodell EVER decides to stop being such a unilateral, secretive cunt about it all but, until then, all we have is Hargrove, a proven me-first dipshit, throwing anyone under the bus he can in order to get himself away from the tires of that same bus and Gregg Williams desperately trying to do the same thing long ago.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Vilma had two months to proclaim his innocence and talk to Goodell when asked to; he chose neither.  His silence was basically an admission of guilt in this scenario.  That is why him coming up with his denial yesterday is hilarious.  He had two months to say ANYTHING about him being innocent - after all, everyone was talking about how he was the player likely to get hammered the hardest - yet he chose to say nothing.  Him getting a full year might have been a bit too much, but he has no one to blame but himself.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
I'm not trying to give him a pass for potentially protecting others but what if he was completely uninvolved but had to choose between clearing his name or becoming the locker room goat for ratting out numerous others? Not an easy decision to make and I'm not saying to protect the potentially guilty but the average joe probably ain't got the yarbles to be so noble.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

That ladies and gentlmen is a fine example of you reap what you sew. The dude is a horrible individual off the field....and for me....well......I don't feel sorry for the guy one bit.
Because he talks smack and gets excited about his team's rivalries? Or is there something more serious that I've missed?

Regardless, that really sucks. One of the NFL's truly elite defensive players.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
You (Black Floyd) of all people realize his significance to that defense.  There's nothing that went on there that he didn't know about.  If he would had said "this is bullshit" it likely would have stopped.  He might not have been writing checks to cover the bounty system, but to pretend that he wasn't a part of it is just naive. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Being aware of its existence =/= participating in it. If Goodell is convinced of his involvement to the extent that suspeding him for an entire season is deemed appropriate, then what the heck is stopping him from bringing forth even one molecule of evidence to support his judgment?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
Why should he?  He isn't obligated to.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to know and view the evidence for ourselves, but he isn't under any obligation to publicly release that information, and as an employer, it is in his best interest not to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
Goodell has already driven a huge wedge between him and the players in the short 6 years he's been commissioner because of his dickheaded "my way or the highway" mentality coupled with an apparent disposition that suggests he's so paranoid about the NFL becoming similar to the NBA that he makes every important decision regarding the league's policies as if he's pandering to the antiquated old guard's preferences (crackdown on endzone celebrations for instance) with zero regard for what the ACTUAL fans want.

This whole "Wizard behind the curtain" charade only furthers the rift between him and the players and he seems to have such a pompous, arrogant, and cavalier attitude about the way he carries on that it seems like nothing will change his ways until he backs himself into a corner. I see that corner occurring when the next CBA needs to be worked out since hopefully the veteran players will save a little more money this time around so they can actually afford to hold out half a season or so to make sure they aren't signing something that gives the commish a borderline dictatorship over the league.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
Being aware of its existence =/= participating in it. If Goodell is convinced of his involvement to the extent that suspeding him for an entire season is deemed appropriate, then what the heck is stopping him from bringing forth even one molecule of evidence to support his judgment?
That doesn't float.  He was in a position where he could have stopped it from happening.  His inaction, if that actually was the case, is facilitating and legitimizing the violation.  He was the leader of that defense and he had an obligation to step up, and failing that, he's the one that should take the heat for it. 

Would you prefer they suspend every play who ever took or gave one cent to that fund?
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
lol aints

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
No link, but I saw this earlier:

NEW YORK -- A former federal prosecutor hired by the NFL to review its investigation of the Saints bounty scandal said the evidence was substantive, detailed and strong enough to warrant Commissioner Roger Goodell's suspensions of players Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Anthony Hargrove and Scott Fujita.

Mary Jo White, who worked in cases against former mob boss John Gotti and other high profile trials, said her independent review showed Goodell was well within his right to come down as hard as he did on the four defensive players.

"There's no doubt how solid the evidence is," White said in an interview with NFL Network and NFL.com Thursday. "In my life as a prosecutor I've had a lot less evidence for conviction."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »
welp.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
Goodell has already driven a huge wedge between him and the players in the short 6 years he's been commissioner because of his dickheaded "my way or the highway" mentality coupled with an apparent disposition that suggests he's so paranoid about the NFL becoming similar to the NBA that he makes every important decision regarding the league's policies as if he's pandering to the antiquated old guard's preferences (crackdown on endzone celebrations for instance) with zero regard for what the ACTUAL fans want.

This whole "Wizard behind the curtain" charade only furthers the rift between him and the players and he seems to have such a pompous, arrogant, and cavalier attitude about the way he carries on that it seems like nothing will change his ways until he backs himself into a corner. I see that corner occurring when the next CBA needs to be worked out since hopefully the veteran players will save a little more money this time around so they can actually afford to hold out half a season or so to make sure they aren't signing something that gives the commish a borderline dictatorship over the league.

I think you really just gotta admit your people fucked up big...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
That doesn't float.  He was in a position where he could have stopped it from happening.  His inaction, if that actually was the case, is facilitating and legitimizing the violation.  He was the leader of that defense and he had an obligation to step up, and failing that, he's the one that should take the heat for it. 

Would you prefer they suspend every play who ever took or gave one cent to that fund?

Sure. If they also go and discipline every other team that had bounties as well which various players have hinted at having occurred during the same time frame.

lol aints

Seriously dude, go watch some old Yankees World Series highlights to kill time. We've had one ten-loss season since 1999 (3-13 in 2005 during Katrina-related displacement involving "home" games in San Antonio, Baton Rouge and even New York when we played the Giants) and have made the playoffs 5 of those remaining 11 years. I love how a decent-sized chunk of the nation rallied on our bandwagon in '09 but now wanna get petty over something that never gave us any unfair advantage over opponents whatsoever.

I think your people got fucked over big time...

I know, right?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:26:07 PM by black_floyd »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2012, 02:30:43 AM »
I think the NFL should make touchdowns 7 points and eliminate extra points or make extra points be 30-yard attempts rather than 20. The league-wide average for extra point percentage has gotta be somewhere between 97 and 99 percent. Seriously, what excitement or interest could possibly be derived from something that is successful at least 29 times out of every 30?

Keeping around such a silly part of the game only puts players at risk for needless injury anyway even if it is predominantly backups being used during those situations. I really hate extra points.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »
I really like the idea of making the attempt longer. I don't think they would ever do away with the extra point, but making it a 30 yard kick instead of a 20 would make things more interesting.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

• DT.net Member
Sorry Sam Bradford.
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2012, 02:45:15 AM »
Totally. I just think it's borderline insulting to the fans to act like an extra point could ever be anything remotely exciting unless a team is going for 2. They've made numerous rule changes to facilitate more passing seemingly as a response to fans being excited by a pass-first league so I see no reason to hold on to something as mundane as the current format for XPs.

Other ideas I've had:

Let a team attempt a FG from 50 yards out for 4 points.

3-point conversions which would be snapped from the 20-yard line instead of the 2-yard line which is where I believe 2-pointers are done.

Punts are live just like kickoffs so teams could catch their own punts and retain possession.

On punts or kickoffs, if your team tackles the returner in the endzone (or the ball is not advanced from the endzone), they get 1 point and the other team only gets to start at their own 10-yard line.

Lose a game by 20 or more and your QB gets kicked in the dick.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:59:15 AM by black_floyd »

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
I like the idea of a longer field goal being worth more. It's kind of like the 3 point line in basketball. Plus it would make having a kicker like Janokowski a bigger advantage, and would just make kickers a more valued commodity in general.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
The problem with the longer pat is that it would mean no one would try a 2 pt conversion cause you'd be further away. If you said field goals will be far away and 2pt would be close then you eliminate the chance of a fake fg.  I like the idea, I just don't know how it floats in reality.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
The problem with the longer pat is that it would mean no one would try a 2 pt conversion cause you'd be further away. If you said field goals will be far away and 2pt would be close then you eliminate the chance of a fake fg.  I like the idea, I just don't know how it floats in reality.

Exactly.  I'm fine with it as is. 

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
I think they should make offensive holding legal and do away with defensive pass interference.  That would liven things up a bit and keep the game moving.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
Offensive holding would make quarterback protection a lot easier, that would really devalue defensive linemen and blitzing..

Defensive pass interference is there for a reason, it is too effective of a manner to stop the pass.  Making it legal once again could kill the passing game.

Making both changes might cancel each other's negatives out, but I suspect it would make the NFL a rushing league once again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
IMO, both are there for good reason and should remain in place.  However, I would be all for loosening up the rules just a bit.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »
Oh, and I hate the idea of making longer field goals worth more points.  Ease of field goal is currently a benefit of sustaining longer drives.  Escalating points can penalize a better offense all of a sudden,  It makes going for touchdowns a risk on points in case of a field goal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »
Oh, and I hate the idea of making longer field goals worth more points.  Ease of field goal is currently a benefit of sustaining longer drives.  Escalating points can penalize a better offense all of a sudden.

It also somewhat penalizes good defenses to an extent.  A defense that can hold the opposing team to shorter drives that end around the 40 is generally doing a better job than defenses that allow teams to get in around the 10 or 20, but is penalized by the fact that the offense with a good kicker can score more points by taking hte longer field goals.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
A punt being up for grabs by either team would be a terrible rule.  And will never happen, nor should it.  How many times have we seen a fair catch made with three or four players from the kicking team around him?  Imagine all of those players going for the ball at once.  It would be horrible and result in tons of injuries.  Plus, why bother going for it on 3rd and long?  Just punt the ball five yards forward up into the air and hope your team recovers the fumble, and presto, it's 1st and 10 again!  Terrible.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
A punt being up for grabs by either team would be a terrible rule.  And will never happen, nor should it.  How many times have we seen a fair catch made with three or four players from the kicking team around him?  Imagine all of those players going for the ball at once.

Easily remedied. Revise the illegal formation rules on punting formations so teams are allowed to have fewer men on the line of scrimmage and can then drop a few extra dudes back to help with fielding the punt. Make it a penalty to interfere with the receiving team's returner's ability to field the kick if you were to contact him prior to his fielding of the kick but make it legal for the kicking team to grab the ball before it reaches him if they can do so without contacting him in a way that would draw a flag for interference on a passing play.

It would be horrible and result in tons of injuries.

How is some dudes jumping in a group any more dangerous than them running at full speed to make a tackle and crashing into blockers the way they do on a normal punt anyway?

Plus, why bother going for it on 3rd and long?  Just punt the ball five yards forward up into the air and hope your team recovers the fumble, and presto, it's 1st and 10 again!  Terrible.

And if they don't recover, the other team gets great field position and the team that punted is at a severe disadvantage. Your 5-yard arguement has no logic whatsoever.