Author Topic: The pathetic facebook status thread.  (Read 306519 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The pathetic facebook status thread.
« Reply #1295 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
Hold your curosr over any post in your newsfeed.  To the right, a "Hide" button will appear.  Click it, and you can choose to hide anything posted by that application, or anything from that person.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: May 19, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
Hold your curosr over any post in your newsfeed.  To the right, a "Hide" button will appear.  Click it, and you can choose to hide anything posted by that application, or anything from that person.

I :heart you
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1297 on: May 21, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »
'Quit Facebook Day' Wants Users To Leave: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/15/delete-facebook-account-q_n_576956.html

Their site, QuitFacebookDay.com, asks users to "commit to quit" Facebook on May 31 by signing their name or Twitter handle to the list of pledges. Is it not ironic that people are signing their name on this because they're pissed that Facebook made information -- like their names -- public.

Really people, good luck with that. The quitters will make a giant dent -- they're already up to .0000019% of Facebook's users!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1298 on: May 21, 2010, 08:51:11 PM »
lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1299 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
LOL at people "threatening" to quit Facebook because all this information they willingly entered onto a site on the net is being shared.  Don't share anything, ever, with anyone on the net that you don't want shared with the entire Internet!  Simple as that.  If they quit, fine.  I'm sure the founders of Facebook will be crying about losing users who have no idea what "private" means complaining about the invasion of their privacy.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1300 on: May 21, 2010, 11:39:50 PM »
Yeah, ironic as shit because they brought it upon themselves :lol fucken losers indeed.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1301 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1302 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:32 PM »
Damn!

:lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1303 on: May 22, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
Im making ramen :D
Wrote this when she posted her Formspring a minute later:
woot woot! ramenn! ♥ im maken myself some fucken ramen! xbox layderr
Eating rament :)

OOHHH, WHAT'S NEXT?!?!? I'M SOOOO ANXIOUS TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AFTER THAT. TAKING A SHIT? CLEANING THE BOWL? TELL ME!!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1304 on: May 22, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
No, she's going to keep finding different ways to misspell "ramen".
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1305 on: May 22, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
No, she's going to keep finding different ways to misspell "ramen".
I see wat yu did there

Anyway, a few minutes later she posted this:
i fail at spelling, now im watching troy :| grandpa is obsesed with this movie
and then
my mom keeps sayin watapitusberryyyyyyy in that long drawn out way at the end of the song xD

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1306 on: May 23, 2010, 02:56:30 AM »
 :yeahright
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1307 on: May 23, 2010, 04:11:36 AM »
Im making ramen :D
Wrote this when she posted her Formspring a minute later:
woot woot! ramenn! ♥ im maken myself some fucken ramen! xbox layderr
Eating rament :)

OOHHH, WHAT'S NEXT?!?!? I'M SOOOO ANXIOUS TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AFTER THAT. TAKING A SHIT? CLEANING THE BOWL? TELL ME!!

:chill :tup

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1308 on: May 23, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
Alyson is playing Pac Man on Google.
Yesterday at 9:09pm

Alyson thinks it's funny how everyone's obsessed with playing Pac Man on Google.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1309 on: May 23, 2010, 05:25:03 PM »
EDIT: Forget this post.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1310 on: May 23, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
Alyson is playing Pac Man on Google.

Alyson thinks it's funny how everyone's obsessed with playing Pac Man on Google.
:lol wtf?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1311 on: May 24, 2010, 07:16:35 AM »
LOL at people "threatening" to quit Facebook because all this information they willingly entered onto a site on the net is being shared.  Don't share anything, ever, with anyone on the net that you don't want shared with the entire Internet!  Simple as that.  If they quit, fine.  I'm sure the founders of Facebook will be crying about losing users who have no idea what "private" means complaining about the invasion of their privacy.
Actually, Facebook has made the default settings so that everything you write about yourself is searchable by anyone OUTSIDE of Facebook. That means:

Your name
Your interests
Year of birth

Etc. Everything that you do or write on Facebook is not limited to Facebook anymore. That is the DEFAULT SETTINGS for every account. It wasn't like this before.

Yes, you can alter those settings, and I strongly suggest everyone here do. I've done it so that everything in my account, including my name, is not searchable from outside of Facebook anymore, and anyone not a friend with me who enters my account will se nothing at all. BUT those settings are more complicated than they should be, and THAT'S why you have "Quit Facebook day".

It's still a bit silly, yes. But just so you get the whole picture. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1312 on: May 24, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
You'd think anyone concerned about that would make changing their privacy settings one of the first things they do.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1313 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »
Well, yeah. I never found them that hard to change, but then again, web design is what I do for a living, so...

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1314 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »
Actually, Facebook has made the default settings so that everything you write about yourself is searchable by anyone OUTSIDE of Facebook. That means:

Your name
Your interests
Year of birth

Etc. Everything that you do or write on Facebook is not limited to Facebook anymore. That is the DEFAULT SETTINGS for every account. It wasn't like this before.

Yes, you can alter those settings, and I strongly suggest everyone here do. I've done it so that everything in my account, including my name, is not searchable from outside of Facebook anymore, and anyone not a friend with me who enters my account will se nothing at all. BUT those settings are more complicated than they should be, and THAT'S why you have "Quit Facebook day".

Again, why do I care what somebody knows my name and what movies I like? If a stranger walked up to you on the street and said, "When is your birthday?" I bet most people would tell them. It's no different if it's on the internet.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1315 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
Again, why do I care what somebody knows my name and what movies I like? If a stranger walked up to you on the street and said, "When is your birthday?" I bet most people would tell them. It's no different if it's on the internet.

I think its because it isn't voluntarily given at that specific moment. Anyone can look it up when they want and use it how they want. Databases can be made and identities can be stolen. If someone walks up to you and asks, you see them, they aren't entirely anonymous. You have the choice to tell them or decline. Which is why you have the choice to show or hide those things from public eye on the internet. Some people just don't know that choice exists or how to find it easily. Also, when the default is set to public display, it can be a bit like wearing your drivers license and social security card on your t-shirt.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1316 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

Actually, I knew all that.  I can see why people are upset if they entered all that information and thought it was "private", or it actually was only shared with those for whom they gave specific permission and the settings were later changed. 

But if people believe that, they're still being stupid, or at least naive, and deserve what they get.  My point still stands.  You don't enter a bunch of personal information onto a website and think it's "private".  You don't enter anything on any website you don't want shared with the entire world.  Facebook is just a database, and databases are hacked all the time.  If you don't want your information out there, don't put it out there.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1317 on: May 24, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »

I think its because it isn't voluntarily given at that specific moment. Anyone can look it up when they want and use it how they want. Databases can be made and identities can be stolen. If someone walks up to you and asks, you see them, they aren't entirely anonymous. You have the choice to tell them or decline. Which is why you have the choice to show or hide those things from public eye on the internet. Some people just don't know that choice exists or how to find it easily. Also, when the default is set to public display, it can be a bit like wearing your drivers license and social security card on your t-shirt.
It is but it's isn't. If I had my credit card number on there (Facebook Credits people, gonna be HUGE) and they made it public, then I would be pissed. But it's not, it's my books, movies, and TV shows. You can't steal my identity from knowing I like Stephen King.

I think everyone should treat anything they put onto the internet as if everyone will see it. Just with Facebook, your real name is attached to it.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1318 on: May 25, 2010, 02:37:42 AM »
chknptpie makes some good points. Some people have come to rely on Facebook a lot, kind of like some people rely on MSN. They enter their phone number, full name, family members, etc on the site without thinking twice about it. People are no longer as careful about that as they once were, which is both good and bad. The internet is becoming more personalized, and that means that your info is being entered into several database, available for all hackers.

When faced with the fact that Facebook is NOT as reliable as they thought it was (the recent chat bug comes to mind) it's kind of a wake-up call. Facebook has become more than a social networking site - it's a meeting place for people.

But think about this - someone writes on their Facebook "Yaaaay, I finally have my vacation. Hawaii for two weeks, here I come!" And on that same site, you have your name and your phone number. And EVERYONE can see this. It's an open door for burglars to come and steal all your stuff!

But if the default settings of your account were set to private, so only your closest friends could see it, then you would have nothing to worry about.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1319 on: May 25, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
That's all true.  But then Facebook admins decide to change the default settings, and stuff that used to be private is suddenly open, and it stays that way until you (a) hear about it somehow, and (b) figure out how the hell to change the setting.  Facebook claims that they're being more open about this stuff, but that's only after a lot of media attention, and their privacy/security settings are still 10x more complicated than they need to be, and I'm sure that's by design.

The more I think about this, the more I see how Facebook is the bad guy here.  If people enter sensitive information into a social networking website, I still say that's foolish, but if they were told that the data would be "private" and then suddenly it isn't due to a deliberate move on the part of the hosts, that's just not right. 

And it doesn't matter if there's a disclaimer somewhere saying that they can do it whenever they want; that's bullshit and everyone knows it.  You don't tell someone that their data is secure and then one day decide it isn't and just say "Well, you agreed to it when you signed up".

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1320 on: May 25, 2010, 01:55:56 PM »
Will added Doin Shit to his interests.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1321 on: May 26, 2010, 04:47:31 AM »
That's all true.  But then Facebook admins decide to change the default settings, and stuff that used to be private is suddenly open, and it stays that way until you (a) hear about it somehow, and (b) figure out how the hell to change the setting.  Facebook claims that they're being more open about this stuff, but that's only after a lot of media attention, and their privacy/security settings are still 10x more complicated than they need to be, and I'm sure that's by design.

The more I think about this, the more I see how Facebook is the bad guy here.  If people enter sensitive information into a social networking website, I still say that's foolish, but if they were told that the data would be "private" and then suddenly it isn't due to a deliberate move on the part of the hosts, that's just not right. 

And it doesn't matter if there's a disclaimer somewhere saying that they can do it whenever they want; that's bullshit and everyone knows it.  You don't tell someone that their data is secure and then one day decide it isn't and just say "Well, you agreed to it when you signed up".
I think we're in agreement - I just don't word my opinion very well. :D

But I read this: https://mashable.com/2010/05/25/facebook-privacy-controls-2/ New privacy controls are coming today, more simple and easy to use than before.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1322 on: May 26, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »
Yeah, I heard about that.  I haven't been on Facebook yet today, so I'm curious.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1323 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »
Yeah, I heard about that.  I haven't been on Facebook yet today, so I'm curious.
Well, nothing yet, for me at least. I know that the changes they make usually don't come at once for all users, so it may take a day or two.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1324 on: May 26, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
PALO ALTO, CA—All 1,472 employees of Facebook, Inc. reportedly burst out in uncontrollable laughter Wednesday following Albuquerque resident Jason Herrick's attempts to protect his personal information from exploitation on the social-networking site. "Look, he's clicking 'Friends Only' for his e-mail address. Like that's going to make a difference!" howled infrastructure manager Evan Hollingsworth, tears streaming down his face, to several of his doubled-over coworkers. "Oh, sure, by all means, Jason, 'delete' that photo. Man, this is so rich." According to internal sources, the entire staff of Facebook was left gasping for air minutes later when the "hilarious" Herrick believed he had actually blocked third-party ads.

https://www.theonion.com/articles/entire-facebook-staff-laughs-as-man-tightens-priva,17508/?sdads

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1325 on: May 26, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
This girl's status: "sorry if i blew up everyone's news feed with my "drama", lo siento!"

Followed by a formspring question and answer: "Q: do you consider yourself a drama starter?

A: haha, naww i dont start drama, i end that shytt.!"

It may not be that funny, but it sure brought out the lolz in me.  :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1326 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
PALO ALTO, CA—All 1,472 employees of Facebook, Inc. reportedly burst out in uncontrollable laughter Wednesday following Albuquerque resident Jason Herrick's attempts to protect his personal information from exploitation on the social-networking site. "Look, he's clicking 'Friends Only' for his e-mail address. Like that's going to make a difference!" howled infrastructure manager Evan Hollingsworth, tears streaming down his face, to several of his doubled-over coworkers. "Oh, sure, by all means, Jason, 'delete' that photo. Man, this is so rich." According to internal sources, the entire staff of Facebook was left gasping for air minutes later when the "hilarious" Herrick believed he had actually blocked third-party ads.

https://www.theonion.com/articles/entire-facebook-staff-laughs-as-man-tightens-priva,17508/?sdads
:rollin :rollin :rollin

That snippet is a great example of how to use words correctly to convey the hilarity. 5 stars.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1327 on: May 27, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
Geez.

"First Middle Last  sex with my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Me: Really?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: May 27, 2010, 03:50:31 PM »
Will added Doin Shit to his interests.

Redneck? Just...making a blind assumption.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1329 on: May 27, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
Nope, surfer/stoner.