Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 713859 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #6510 on: May 16, 2024, 12:35:51 PM »
Keith Fingers, a veteran afternoon DJ and host of the heavy metal program Fingers Metal Shop on WBAB, retired in January 2023 after 40 years with the station. Fingers has been a fixture of Long Island's heavy metal club scene since the 1980s, and was the house DJ at Sundance in Bay Shore.

Thanks for the correct info. Legend!  :metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6511 on: May 16, 2024, 03:09:48 PM »
Thanks for the correct info. Legend!  :metal
\
my pleasure bro  ... I saw what you saw also but I knew it was impossible 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6512 on: May 21, 2024, 10:27:35 AM »
For anyone interested, Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) is now in-hand at the publisher, and available for purchase here:

Hardcover

Paperback

E-version (high resolution .pdf)

It features almost 600 full color pages, containing detail on every show Queensrÿche's original lineup ever played. Ticket stubs, concert flyers, stage banter, setlists, live photos (both professional and amateur), historical essays, and fan anecdotes. It's a reference guide, meant to sit down and look shows and tours up, but you can also read it cover to cover, as I've written it in such a manner that it has a narrative through it.

In addition, if you're in the Seattle area, we're doing a book signing at Easy Street Records on June 29, at 6:30 p.m. Several guests are expected from Queensrÿche's past, including road crew members, management, recording engineers, and more. It should be a great event. Beer will be flowing, we'll sign the books, QR music/video playing, and lots of stories shared.

Thanks to any of you who have supported this book, or plan to buy a copy now. I really appreciate the mods also letting me post about it. This was a complete labor of love, and I hope everyone enjoys reading it as much as I loved creating it.

BH
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 08:50:56 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6513 on: May 21, 2024, 11:30:30 AM »
Congratulations Brian. Looks amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6514 on: May 21, 2024, 11:50:35 AM »
Chris' role in QR - TAC, imo, is wrong. Chris was very much responsible for the band's musical growth. He also did a lot of song arrangement. Take a look at the songs that Michael wrote in the original lineup. The ones that are credited solely to Wilton (just Deliverance) or by Wilton/Tate (which there are more). There is one thing that many people gloss over. The arrangements are very straightforward and simple. Damn good riffs, great songs, but a pretty basic arrangement.

Then look at all the songs Chris was involved in, particularly the ones where it is DeGarmo/Tate/Wilton. Notice anything? Usually, the arrangements are more complex and interesting. Take "Roads to Madness." Michael just explained how that song was wrote the other day on The Metal Voice. He had the first part of the song. Chris then came in and did that whole killer outro section that starts at the 6:45 mark and goes through the end at 9:54. The part that takes the song to another level.

Those contributions from Chris, and then his own songs that he wrote, really took Queensrÿche to a different plane of existence. He was able to really be a muse to grab Tate's attention and inspire Tate to deliver some of those iconic performances.

OK, I definitely acknowledge all of that. I'm not sure what I was wrong about.

Here's the quote I think I made recently that you may have been referring to.

My two main draws to Warning...the singer and the drummer are not there. And I don't think Chris Degarmo is this musical genius that he's made out to be in this thread, but the band was never the same after he left.

Queensryche to me were about the interesting drumming and the amazing vocals. That's what appealed to me. Sure, I liked the music, but the drumming and vocals are the things that made their music stand out..to me. This is all my opinion.

Remember, I LOVE Warning and O;M, but I'm extremely casual about RFO and Empire (which I feel like the production has definitely given it a lift...)
In fact, it looks like Wilton and Degarmo had a relatively even breakdown of songs I like on O:M.

My comment about Chris Degarmo not being the musical genius he's made out to be...probably snarky...ok definitely snarky, but a gentle push back for sure. At least for me. A matter of taste. I did not like the direction of RFO when it came out. Empire scared me a bit, and both PL and HITNF I just don't think are strong enough. Again, my opinion.

Chris' impact was much, much more than JUST a songwriter. He was the guy that made the music different. That made it interesting and adventurous. His loss has never been overcome.

Well, yeah, that's what I was alluding to when I said..

My two main draws to Warning...the singer and the drummer are not there. And I don't think Chris Degarmo is this musical genius that he's made out to be in this thread, but the band was never the same after he left.

I also think that Degarmo leaving coincided with Tate's range leaving as well. Tate was already diminished on Promised Land, and after that, his voice just wasn't enough to separate them from the pack, and I don't think DiGarmo coming back would've changed that.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6515 on: May 21, 2024, 11:58:10 AM »
Congratulations Brian. Looks amazing!

Thanks Tim!

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6516 on: May 21, 2024, 12:51:51 PM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6517 on: May 21, 2024, 12:57:38 PM »
Thanks. I hope everybody who checks it out enjoys it. A couple of our fellow DTFers have anecdotes in there from shows they attended. A big thank you to those folks. I'll let them choose, or choose not to, reveal themselves.  :) But know it was MUCH appreciated.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6518 on: May 21, 2024, 01:04:00 PM »
For anyone interested, Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) is now in-hand at the publisher, and available for purchase here:

Hardcover

Paperback

It features almost 600 full color pages, containing detail on every show Queensrÿche's original lineup ever played. Ticket stubs, concert flyers, stage banter, setlists, live photos (both professional and amateur), historical essays, and fan anecdotes. It's a reference guide, meant to sit down and look shows and tours up, but you can also read it cover to cover, as I've written it in such a manner that it has a narrative through it.

In addition, if you're in the Seattle area, we're doing a book signing at Easy Street Records on June 29, at 6:30 p.m. Several guests are expected from Queensrÿche's past, including road crew members, management, recording engineers, and more. It should be a great event. Beer will be flowing, we'll sign the books, QR music/video playing, and lots of stories shared.

Thanks to any of you who have supported this book, or plan to buy a copy now. I really appreciate the mods also letting me post about it. This was a complete labor of love, and I hope everyone enjoys reading it as much as I loved creating it.

BH

Very cool, congrats!  :metal :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6519 on: May 21, 2024, 01:10:07 PM »

Hardcover

Paperback

BH

Awesome! Congrats man! I'm on this for sure!!!!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6520 on: May 23, 2024, 08:50:39 AM »
Thanks all. You can order at nwmetalworxmusic.com. Here is the flyer:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6521 on: May 24, 2024, 03:40:33 PM »
Received an email that your book is on its way here.

Brian, have a great book signing day next month  :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6522 on: May 24, 2024, 05:58:54 PM »
Received an email that your book is on its way here.

Brian, have a great book signing day next month  :tup

DITTO!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6524 on: May 27, 2024, 08:42:39 AM »
12 Years ago today, Rocklahoma 2012:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88du2GnAus

"You guys really suck." 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #6525 on: May 28, 2024, 09:45:41 PM »
My copy of Samsara's book arrived today and it's gorgeous.  It took me FOREVER to get through the bubble wrap though!  I don't have much time to read it right now, but I just managed the foreword and intros, which was a cool little reminder of what it was like to experience the band live for the first time.  I never saw the original lineup, but have incredible memories of moments from my first show on the Q2K tour - Geoff singing a verse of Spreading the Disease right in front of me, basically in my face, headbanging to The Needle Lies and seeing Scott Rockenfeld make eye contact with me, smile and point. 

The photos are a really cool addition, and make the book more complete for me, rather than just reading setlists and summaries of the concerts, you get a visual of that tour, and things like ticket stubs, old concert shirts (I spend more time looking at tshirtslayer.com at old tour shirts than I'd like to admit) and more. 

I'm looking forward to reading this book over the summer as time permits, but definitely have to congratulate the authors on putting together something really unique. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6526 on: May 29, 2024, 04:33:39 AM »
12 Years ago today, Rocklahoma 2012:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88du2GnAus

"You guys really suck."

The "no, I'm serious," just kills me.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6527 on: May 29, 2024, 03:16:00 PM »
Got my copy of RTM and it looks :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: Will start digging in tomorrow! :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6528 on: May 29, 2024, 06:02:20 PM »
Thanks everyone! The setlists and gig list is just a small part of the book. I really hope you all enjoy it.

:metal :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6529 on: May 30, 2024, 08:12:42 AM »

"You guys really suck."

What a tool with the eyeliner and everything. LOL. Play your good songs Geoff if you want a better response.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6530 on: May 30, 2024, 09:02:21 AM »
I had no issue with Tate toying with a lame festival crowd..  Ive seen many bands rib the crowd to get more into it.

anyone there who was annoyed by that needs to shake it off IMO, and nobody in the crowd seemed to even notice or care..Tate knew it was a lame time spot

Offline Grappler

« Reply #6531 on: May 30, 2024, 09:18:30 AM »
I had no issue with Tate toying with a lame festival crowd..  Ive seen many bands rib the crowd to get more into it.

anyone there who was annoyed by that needs to shake it off IMO, and nobody in the crowd seemed to even notice or care..Tate knew it was a lame time spot

No, Tate was purposely being an ass because his wife had just been fired as the band's manager and he was still pissed at the other guys in the band.  They were contractually obligated the play that show despite very poor relationships amongst the band members.

Geoff has made similar statements in a more eloquent matter in the past (you give, we give), but he was definitely trying to hurt the band and their PR in that moment.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6532 on: May 30, 2024, 11:21:56 AM »
No, Tate was purposely being an ass because his wife had just been fired as the band's manager and he was still pissed at the other guys in the band.  They were contractually obligated the play that show despite very poor relationships amongst the band members.

Geoff has made similar statements in a more eloquent matter in the past (you give, we give), but he was definitely trying to hurt the band and their PR in that moment.

Oh Im very aware .. but that had nothing to do with the lame festival crowd or the band being annoyed by being on the Sunday slot...   the crowd did suck and it wasnt a dedicated QR crowd . its Rock and roll and I have seen bands go off about the audience not being appreciative or rowdy enough etc.  I dont think Tate was thinking of harming the QR name at all at that point as he wanted the QR  name as we know and the band had to pay him to keep the name etc.  Tate did quite well on getting paid and his stock, Tates a smart guy and if he was enraged about his wife and daughter etc I dont blame him, Id be angry also.  but this all been debated for a long time .  I just think its silly to slag him over telling a lame festival crowd they suck LOL
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 11:27:12 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6533 on: May 30, 2024, 12:05:29 PM »
Ya, but it wasn’t JUST telling the crowd they sucked, it was all the crap happening at the same time. It was spitting on Scott during the show, it was not long after the hilariously ill-conceived cabaret show with his own daughter starring as a stripper (the 2nd most cringe father/daughter pairing in rock history. Meat Loaf singing a duet with his daughter on Paradise by the Dashboard Light being #1)

This is just one turd in a sewer line of what was happening during this era.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6534 on: May 30, 2024, 01:07:34 PM »
Ya, but it wasn’t JUST telling the crowd they sucked, it was all the crap happening at the same time. It was spitting on Scott during the show, it was not long after the hilariously ill-conceived cabaret show with his own daughter starring as a stripper (the 2nd most cringe father/daughter pairing in rock history. Meat Loaf singing a duet with his daughter on Paradise by the Dashboard Light being #1)

This is just one turd in a sewer line of what was happening during this era.

I agree JD,,,, it was coming off the rails as a lot was happening during that time with the bands personal issues and family issues also and it was a period of turmoil, but a lot of it was NOT just Tate..

The Cabaret was Scotts idea and his wife Misty, Misty was also on stage as a stripper.  Misty ran Merch also and the fan club along with Miranda and Susan.  It was silly idea that caught traction so the band could spend more time with their family on the road

I have no idea why anyone really likes this "Nueryche" as its seems counter the "evolution" message that was the bands hallmark and statement, and now they just live off the EP and Warning stuff as nobody really cares about Nueryche music enough to buy or see that performed, they still want the old Tate Chris D era songs , I also care less when bands fight as it happens more then one would think, care less if Tate spit in the direction of Scott. ITS ROCK AND ROLL  and all of them  have some responsibility for it blowing up,   IMO Tate was their meal ticket and lets be real if Tate leaves with Chris when Chris left the other 3 would have been out jobs period and going to join other bands as QR would have been gone.  again all MY OPINION   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 01:18:51 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6535 on: May 30, 2024, 01:18:55 PM »

I dont really have a huge problem with it either, but if I were in the crowd and really into the show, I'd be pissed. (taking all the outside drama out of consideration here)

I'm still annoyed with seeing Warrant a few years back and Robert Mason saying the crowd was given free tickets and thats why we were lame... no I paid to be there and was trying to enjoy it but the performance was garbage.  I'm still pissed at that comment like 6 years later lol (even though I shook Robert's hand too after the show, mostly because I like him in Avantasia)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6536 on: May 30, 2024, 01:31:37 PM »
I dont really have a huge problem with it either, but if I were in the crowd and really into the show, I'd be pissed. (taking all the outside drama out of consideration here)

I'm still annoyed with seeing Warrant a few years back and Robert Mason saying the crowd was given free tickets and thats why we were lame... no I paid to be there and was trying to enjoy it but the performance was garbage.  I'm still pissed at that comment like 6 years later lol (even though I shook Robert's hand too after the show, mostly because I like him in Avantasia)

I agree bro..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6537 on: May 30, 2024, 01:33:35 PM »
I have no idea why anyone really likes this "Nueryche" as its seems counter the "evolution" message that was the bands hallmark and statement, and now they just live off the EP and Warning stuff as nobody really cares about Nueryche music enough to buy or see that performed, they still want the old Tate Chris D era songs ,

So, regarding the "Nueryche", I certainly don't look at them as Queensryche. It's not, no matter what name is on the album. I do, however, treat them as I would any other new band on their own merits, and their output has been pretty good.

Personally, I think playing 40 year old albums to make a buck is so fucking lame, but hey, I won't behoove any musician from earning a living. I just don't respect it. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but Warning with Tate or Rockfield playing does not interest me in any way, and honestly, if it was the original band playing it, I'd still hate it because it's a sellout move.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6538 on: May 30, 2024, 01:41:44 PM »
whats interesting IMO is that it  really appears that a "fight that the wives had "  was the genesis of the end of Tate and QR and Tates run in with Scott and Misty.  I find it interesting as a few years later it was Scott who got the divorce from Misty.  IMO and again IMO  it was the dynamics of the Misty and Susan and the fan club merch that it appears was the downfall of a profitable entity. now Scott is even gone from QR after IMO erratic behavior and becoming unhappy in the band without Tate and the wives and starting a new life with a new girl and baby.

This is why I dont lay this at Tates feet and I can see why Tate was UPSET at that show as he should be IMO

again IMO 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 02:09:16 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6539 on: May 30, 2024, 01:44:35 PM »
So, regarding the "Nueryche", I certainly don't look at them as Queensryche. It's not, no matter what name is on the album. I do, however, treat them as I would any other new band on their own merits, and their output has been pretty good.

Personally, I think playing 40 year old albums to make a buck is so fucking lame, but hey, I won't behoove any musician from earning a living. I just don't respect it. I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but Warning with Tate or Rockfield playing does not interest me in any way, and honestly, if it was the original band playing it, I'd still hate it because it's a sellout move.

I agree my brother tac     did you mean warning without Tate and Scott in the above?  I cant stand Todds voice and I cant stand how that casey drums period   just not for me   again MY OPINION   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6540 on: May 30, 2024, 01:49:51 PM »
Even if it was original lineup Queensryche, I can't get behind them playing a 40 year old album in its entirety. I just think it's lame. But like I said...if that's what a band thinks they need to do, then go for it, but I won't be along for the ride.

I sure as hell have no interest in what they're doing now.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6541 on: May 30, 2024, 01:58:44 PM »
Even if it was original lineup Queensryche, I can't get behind them playing a 40 year old album in its entirety. I just think it's lame. But like I said...if that's what a band thinks they need to do, then go for it, but I won't be along for the ride.

I sure as hell have no interest in what they're doing now.

I agree 100 percent  Id not even be that interested if the original 5 got back at this point    what they had on the EP Warning shows was PURE MAGIC... those of us who were there know that..it cant be captured again.   Id be more interested if Tate and Chris got back together and the band to do a new album and it could be mellow for all I care ...to me that was the growth part of the band as they showed us on the PL tour.. mans growth into adulthood is a rocky one and then one gets older   that life is a slog and not what it appears.  I felt for Chris when HITNF wasnt embraced as it was PURE it was what he was feeling not contrived.. that was the part of what made them special
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 04:44:35 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Deathless

« Reply #6542 on: May 30, 2024, 02:07:06 PM »
Been a bit since I've posted - wanted to say congrats to Brian on the book, was a long-time follower and forum-goer with his crew. Very nice work and I know you are really passionate about it.

I caught (2!) shows on this tour and both were excellent. I totally respect everyone's choices on whether they would see or support but this band... if they do more shows I encourage any interested fan to go. For the most part promoters were really receptive to it and the venues sold pretty well in most areas which is cool to see. I suspect they'll be getting ready to write new music soon too.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6543 on: May 30, 2024, 02:10:39 PM »
Been a bit since I've posted - wanted to say congrats to Brian on the book, was a long-time follower and forum-goer with his crew. Very nice work and I know you are really passionate about it.

I caught (2!) shows on this tour and both were excellent. I totally respect everyone's choices on whether they would see or support but this band... if they do more shows I encourage any interested fan to go. For the most part promoters were really receptive to it and the venues sold pretty well in most areas which is cool to see. I suspect they'll be getting ready to write new music soon too.

Glad you enjoyed the shows!! 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6544 on: May 30, 2024, 03:03:20 PM »

Appreciate the nice words. Thank you so much!  :metal