Author Topic: Of All The Albums You've Ever Heard....  (Read 951 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Of All The Albums You've Ever Heard....
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 09:40:45 PM »
I started buying cassettes with my paper route money. Before that, I was grabbing my Dad's 45's and putting them on his player when I could barely walk. For whatever reason, music has been ingrained in my DNA. With that said, I am struggling to come up with what I would call a watershed or life changing example. I can pinpoint a few albums that have stuck with me.

The earliest album I remember distinctly, and was one of the first cassettes I ever bought, was Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms. I initially bought it for the 'hits' but fell in love with the deep cuts. I was all of 9 when this album came out.

My Dad has been a Greatest Hits only guy his entire life. This album might have pushed to me realize there is more than 'the hits'.

Not long after that my Dad gifted me his CD player which was one of the earliest models ever made. BMG and Columbia House called my name.

Another is, and I get the irony here, the Chronicles collection from Rush. I hated Rush for the longest time but the radio kept bashing me over the head with their songs. Finally, I decided to pick up Chronicles and everything changed. They became my favorite band and opened this keyboard hating guy up to keys. The Prog world called my name.

In the good ole' days I would wander the CD section of Circuit City, Best Buy, Tower, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. just flipping through all the CD's and blind buying something that looked interesting. I was in Circuit City doing just that and stumbled onto a band called Dream Theater. Then I remembered there was an ad in a recent Modern Drummer that I had with Peart on the cover that had this dude sitting behind this monster kit. It was MP. I recognized it was his band and after playing duck duck goose with the available discs, I went home with Awake.

You get the picture. It started with my Dad's 45's and my earliest album memory was Brothers In Arms. Ironically, I only picked it up on CD in the last couple of years.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline JLa

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2024, 01:01:11 AM »
For me it's the second Liquid Tension Experiment album. A friend of mine asked me to listen to "When the Water Breaks". I had never heard anything like that in my life, it was beyond amazing. I remember skipping around the disc and listening to "Acid Rain" and "Biaxident", and I couldn't believe my ears. How could anyone write this? And play this?

My journey into all things prog started there, on that bus, with LTE2.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 01:10:55 AM by JLa »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2024, 06:25:31 AM »
At the height of one of the most questionable times of my life (as a teenager), "Hybrid Theory" by Linkin Park was the album that helped me cope with being in foster care and homeless and other stuff.

Honorable mentions

System of a Down - Toxicity
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Thrice - The Alchemy Index
Cloudkicker - Beacons

Every blue moon or so there's a post here that has a nugget buried in it that makes me keenly aware that there are good people in the world that I'd be proud to know, and that we're lucky as hell to have an unnatural grouping of them here.

This is one of them.  Hat's off to you Jamesman, and no lie, that's all I'm going to say.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2024, 06:45:56 AM »
I love how many people noted the joy of experiencing an ALBUM.  I don't worry too much about exposing my kid to BANDS, she'll find them eventually (she just sent me a picture of a theater near where she lives and Jethro Tull is playing there in a few weeks!) but I HAVE made it a point to play her RECORDS (or simulate the playing of records) by pausing the CD in the middle, that kind of thing. What a wonderful experience.

I used ALBUMS here, but in terms of exposure to music, generally, it was this:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2024, 08:07:33 AM »
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2024, 08:14:55 AM »
In the good ole' days I would wander the CD section of Circuit City, Best Buy, Tower, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. just flipping through all the CD's and blind buying something that looked interesting.

That was basically my time spent in Schaumburg, where they had every one of those stores, coupled with a short hop to Hoffman Estates (Record Breakers) or Roselle (Impulse Music). 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2024, 09:10:29 AM »
That was basically my time spent in Schaumburg, where they had every one of those stores, coupled with a short hop to Hoffman Estates (Record Breakers) or Roselle (Impulse Music).

Which is exactly where I did most of that. I loved Record Breakers and Impulse. We probably crossed paths a ton and never knew it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2024, 09:15:30 AM »

Back in 2010, we went out to Shaumsberg to go to the Lego Discovery Zone it whatever they called it.

I also bought The Final Frontier, which was released while we were out there, for the drive home.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2024, 09:33:32 AM »
Back in 2010, we went out to Shaumsberg to go to the Lego Discovery Zone it whatever they called it.

I also bought The Final Frontier, which was released while we were out there, for the drive home.

I remember buying Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Grey in the music store in the old Downtown Disney shopping area (now Disney Springs) way back in 2001.  Maybe that's why I never really got into the record - I associated the dull, dreary music with the happiest place on earth.   :lol

Which is exactly where I did most of that. I loved Record Breakers and Impulse. We probably crossed paths a ton and never knew it.

That's entirely possible.  I used to go cd browing/shopping all of the time.  Weekly to Record Breakers, mainly to check the used bins and listen to those albums.  Loved the bootleg video section too.  Tower was usually my favorite of the stores near Woodfield, since they had the best metal selections.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2024, 12:48:53 PM »
I remember buying Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Grey in the music store in the old Downtown Disney shopping area (now Disney Springs) way back in 2001.  Maybe that's why I never really got into the record - I associated the dull, dreary music with the happiest place on earth.   :lol

We actually drove from Disney to Chicago for that trip. And then back home.

I bought a few CDs at the Virgin Megastore. One of which was Train Of Thought which was released while we were down there. We were all packed up and made the stop there for it before we got on the highway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2024, 01:47:20 PM »
In the good ole' days I would wander the CD section of Circuit City, Best Buy, Tower, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. just flipping through all the CD's and blind buying something that looked interesting.

Tower was usually my favorite of the stores...since they had the best metal selections.

I spent quite a bit of time in those, Kemp Mill, Incredible Universe, Sam Goody, FYE, etc.  Particularly once I started working part-time and had some regular expendable income.  Tower probably did have the best selection, though the prices were generally higher.  Early 00s Best Buy had the best selection/price ratio here, so I spent more there than anywhere else. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2024, 04:03:27 PM »
Harmony House was the biggest music store in my area and I knew most of the staff by name.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2024, 04:10:59 PM »
I love how many people noted the joy of experiencing an ALBUM.  I don't worry too much about exposing my kid to BANDS, she'll find them eventually (she just sent me a picture of a theater near where she lives and Jethro Tull is playing there in a few weeks!) but I HAVE made it a point to play her RECORDS (or simulate the playing of records) by pausing the CD in the middle, that kind of thing. What a wonderful experience.

I used ALBUMS here, but in terms of exposure to music, generally, it was this:

I have a 45 of that Royal Guardsman song sitting on my turntable. Found it mint somewhere years ago. Sits in its sleeve right there under the clear cover for all to see.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2024, 10:33:27 AM »
Fifth Angel - Fifth Angel (1986)

It wasn't the first album I ever heard. But it was the first that really zeroed in on the direction as a listener that I still gravitate toward - heavier rock/metal with an intelligent bent. The combination of that music, with the lyrics, really set the tone for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2024, 11:21:31 AM »
In terms of relevance to this forum, it's probably Rush's Moving Pictures.  A friend lent me a copy early in my freshman year of high school, and it ignited the spark that eventually led me to these hidden worlds of music.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2024, 12:46:03 PM »
Gorillaz' Demon Days was what finally eased me into giving more hip hop a chance.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2024, 02:07:29 PM »
Every blue moon or so there's a post here that has a nugget buried in it that makes me keenly aware that there are good people in the world that I'd be proud to know, and that we're lucky as hell to have an unnatural grouping of them here.

This is one of them.  Hat's off to you Jamesman, and no lie, that's all I'm going to say.

One of my faves posted this about me, thanks Stads! Glad to be here :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2024, 04:13:21 AM »
Honestly, I'd played full albums here and there, particularly Queen albums and Finnish metal albums, but I had never started my journey with the band by playing a full album. It was always "hear a smattering of greatest hits first, then start on the full albums eventually", due to how I got into music during mid-to-late 00's. Youtube was already a thing and it replaced radio, where you would usually go to hear a band before you buy a record, and the selection of songs you could hear was wider than radio. Downloading services like Limewire replaced buying a record, and they were more popular than torrenting for the time being, so you'd have more of a chance to download a random grouping of songs first.

The album that changed all that and transformed me into the music listener I am today is Images and Words. I'd heard of the band, I'd heard a random "progressive metal" song here and there, and I knew this was one of those legendary albums. I torrented it (sorry! I own the vinyl now :biggrin:), looked at the beautiful cover, put it on, and it blew me away.

I owe Dream Theater and that album so much of my life, or at least what's good in it! I do think becoming a rock and metal listener in the first place was very significant, and that's where all my early "holy shit I'm in this for life" moments come from, but DT put me on a path of integrating my life with music in a very deep and meaningful way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 04:21:00 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2024, 04:59:03 AM »
Metallica - The Black Album

My parents had it basically because of Nothing Else Matters. I was 6 and I had never heard anything so heavy before. The guitar leads blew my mind.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2024, 05:47:09 AM »
First: Paranoid
Second: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Third: 2112
Fourth: Sheik Yerbouti
Fifth: Images and Words

I've had my life spun about by quite a few albums. Ha
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2024, 07:25:39 AM »
1. Master of Puppets
2. Scenes from a Memory

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2024, 10:30:28 AM »
‘Nighttime’
Killing Joke

Loved every second.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2024, 02:45:31 AM »
Slayer - Reign In Blood.
I was already into rock and metal and bought it while visiting my grandparents. Listened to it on headphones, sitting cross-legged in front of my grandfather's hi-fi. The cover art, the dried blood coloured lyric sleeve and the sheer speed and aggression were a shock. Like nothing I had heard before. It took a couple of weeks to unfold in my head. Greatest metal album ever recorded.

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
I was a little musically bored after the 90s and looking for something different. I remembered a guy at school a decade or more earlier had WDADU and talked about it being technical and interesting. I was in my first programming job and Amazon still felt like an amazing, new thing. I bought their latest release from there. Immediately was hooked by the Mindcrime-ish concept album sounds and when that first descending, shredding run kicked in early in Overture 1928 I was in love. The prog, jazz and Zappa sounds opened the door to all sorts of musical loves from there on - most of which were spawned from recommendations on the old Spocks Beard ezboard!  :smiley:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.