News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album

Started by AndyDT, April 29, 2009, 01:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevShmev

Quote from: EPICVIEW on May 30, 2024, 10:21:56 AM
Oh Im very aware .. but that had nothing to do with the lame festival crowd or the band being annoyed by being on the Sunday slot...   the crowd did suck and it wasnt a dedicated QR crowd . its Rock and roll and I have seen bands go off about the audience not being appreciative or rowdy enough etc.  I dont think Tate was thinking of harming the QR name at all at that point as he wanted the QR  name as we know and the band had to pay him to keep the name etc.  Tate did quite well on getting paid and his stock, Tates a smart guy and if he was enraged about his wife and daughter etc I dont blame him, Id be angry also.  but this all been debated for a long time .  I just think its silly to slag him over telling a lame festival crowd they suck LOL

Those bands need to get over themselves. It's not the job of the fans to automatically go nuts over the performers, especially at a festival where the fans are not necessarily there for every act that is going to play.  If the crowd is subdued or not appreciative, then that is on the band for sucking and not doing anything to get them into the show.

WardySI

Whether you choose to recognise and/or support it is up to you.  But the current QR lineup beats the pants off anything the band were doing since the embarrassment of the Dedicated To Cabaret era, and since with the original members.

Brian, congratulations on the book am sure it will be a good read but will have wait for these idiotic international shipping fees we Down Under seem to be experiencing to get the full experience.

In the meantime I might splash for the pdf version will see but regardless yes, looks very nice \m/

Samsara

Quote from: WardySI on May 30, 2024, 07:19:17 PM
Brian, congratulations on the book am sure it will be a good read but will have wait for these idiotic international shipping fees we Down Under seem to be experiencing to get the full experience.

In the meantime I might splash for the pdf version will see but regardless yes, looks very nice \m/

Thanks! I went to ship a book to a contributor who lives in Belgium -- it was $130, so I said no. LOL. That was UPS International, so I'll try the US Postal Service next week. But if it's over the price of the paperback (54.95), then no. He already has a .pdf, so it can hold him until costs come down.

However, something to keep in mind -- A few different European record shops have ordered multiple copies of the book to sell themselves. So I'll get that information on who, and URLs, and let you know. Perhaps its cheaper from Europe to you.

Appreciate the interest man. I sat down again yesterday and flipped through some of it. Having the real book made it really real to me. I'm very proud of it. It's exactly what I wanted. I planned for 450 pages, and its almost 600. Unreal. I just tried to get everything I knew and all the information and imagery I collected over the years out there. I'm really grateful for the positive response.  I just want people who are hardcore fans to love it. Hope folks do.  :)

ytserush

Quote from: TAC on May 30, 2024, 12:49:51 PM
Even if it was original lineup Queensryche, I can't get behind them playing a 40 year old album in its entirety. I just think it's lame. But like I said...if that's what a band thinks they need to do, then go for it, but I won't be along for the ride.

I sure as hell have no interest in what they're doing now.

Agreed. There's no way in hell they would do it but I wouldn't even see them if they did Promised Land in it's entirety at this point. I was so lucky to catch it the first time around.

TAC

Quote from: ytserush on June 01, 2024, 07:02:58 PM
There's no way in hell they would do it but I wouldn't even see them if they did Promised Land in it's entirety at this point.

Well.. :lol
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Samsara

Quote from: TAC on May 30, 2024, 12:49:51 PM
Even if it was original lineup Queensryche, I can't get behind them playing a 40 year old album in its entirety. I just think it's lame. But like I said...if that's what a band thinks they need to do, then go for it, but I won't be along for the ride.

I sure as hell have no interest in what they're doing now.

I don't think it's "lame," per se. I think context really matters. I'd put in these factors:

1. Is it the band's lineup who recorded the album?
2. If it isn't, are there factors that are unavoidable (death of a member being paramount)?
3. Is it a landmark recording?
4. What else are they doing besides that album?

For Queensryche, I mean, you can answer all these questions and come to the conclusion of what matters and doesn't matter. The funny thing with bands being around this long is that there really isn't precedent to draw from. There were no heavy metal or rock acts 80 years ago that set the template. The template really is now The Rolling Stones, KISS, Deep Purple, The Beach Boys. So with the economic realities facing bands, it's hard to judge them for doing stuff like what QR did with the EP and The Warning. I honestly get it. I really do.

I didn't go. I went back and forth, and even had a ticket, but ultimately sold it. For me, the lineup really mattered. Had it been the original lineup, or the original lineup minus Chris, I may have felt differently and attended. But it just came down to me just feeling like Queensryche has headed down a path I can't get behind. I think the tour they did before, which had a lot of their material with Todd, was a great idea. I've said this countless times -- two-thirds of their set should be the original music with Todd. because if you rely on nostalgia, you become a tribute act given the band only has 2 of 5 original members, including missing the singer, key songwriter, and the guy who really was the backbone in Scott. (I love Casey, but he and Scott are very different, and play the QR songs differently.)

But that's my personal feeling. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to go experience these full album performances. It's fun, and a good night out. But it's certainly a personal preference on what you're seeing and why.

TAC

Yeah Brian, "lame" might be a bit harsh. I've always said that they (any band) should do whatever they have to do to make a living. I have no issue with that.

I really hate the rehashing of material, but I understand it.

Hell, I even complained about Helloween's set last year. Other than two new songs, every song was played on the previous tour. That bugged me.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

HOF

Every time this thread gets bumped I get Kickstart My Heart stuck in my head which is kind of annoying TBH!

Glasser

I saw QR on this Tour, the first show in Texas. It was an incredible tribute to the original line up. Seeing Eddie and Michael was awesome.

Samsara

For those of you who are QR fans on here who live in the Seattle area, we're doing that book signing at Easy Street Records a week from tomorrow - Saturday, June 29, at 6:30 p.m. Would love to meet anyone interested, and convince you to pick up a book.  :biggrin:  The store's bar will be open (not sure about the kitchen), we'll be having live QR music playing over the system (I think they are going to put on the LIVECRIME video, and maybe Building Empire), there will be a Q&A with myself and Brian Naron about the writing of the book, and we'll have some special guests.

I know the band's first crew member will be in attendance, likely one half of their first management team, and possibly a few others from the band's past. All mingling, talking about QR, touring, etc. Come on down and have some fun.

Roads to Madness will be available for purchase (Naron and I happy to sign it if anyone wants that), as will the QR bio we contributed to, Building An Empire (main author James Beach will be there to sign if folks want that too). Plus, their company, NW Metalworx, will have all their books and music there for sale. Should be a fun event.

Event: Roads to Madness Book Signing
Where: Easy Street Records - 4559 California Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98116
When: Saturday, June 29 at 6:30 p.m. until whenever

Thanks to those of you who bought Roads to Madness already. It's doing well, has now paid for itself (so relieved), and I'm really grateful. People genuinely seem to think I knocked it out of the park, and I'm blown away at the reception. It was done with pure love for the topic. All I cared about was giving people the absolute Holy Grail and last word on QR's original lineup tour history. It's way bigger and detailed than most people thought, so I have a feeling as more people speak the word, the more people will buy it and realize what a value it is for the money.

Anyway, hope to see some of you NEXT weekend, in Seattle. Any questions, just message me.  :metal

DTwwbwMP

^ I ABSOLUTELY can vouch for the book's AWESOMENESS! Complete labor of love and you guys KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK! :metal :metal :metal :metal

Samsara

Quote from: DTwwbwMP on June 21, 2024, 03:02:14 PM
^ I ABSOLUTELY can vouch for the book's AWESOMENESS! Complete labor of love and you guys KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK! :metal :metal :metal :metal

Thanks Mike. Really appreciate it. Hoping some of the Seattle DTF crowd comes out on Saturday night. Be nice to meet a few folks.

Cool Chris

I made a mental note of this but had previously made plans with my kids as my wife will be out of town that weekend. It's a bit far for me to "stop by" but I had not forgotten about this.

Samsara

Quote from: Cool Chris on June 24, 2024, 10:54:20 AM
I made a mental note of this but had previously made plans with my kids as my wife will be out of town that weekend. It's a bit far for me to "stop by" but I had not forgotten about this.

Enjoy the weekend with the kids! :)