Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 463902 times)

Calvin6s

The problem with Buck Rogers is the dude just didn't look good in a disco suit.  However, the dudettes did.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:14:20 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I thought the duel in 7 was perfectly handled. The main reason I find the prequel fights so boring is because there's not much to really care about or be invested in story or character-wise. To me it's 90% what is going on, like the internal struggle and not the actual fight itself that makes a good lightsaber fight. As long as they have a good story and we're invested, I think the next duel will be great either way. But if it's worse than the prequels, then a 30 minute one-take lightsaber duel won't do much.

The fights in the prequels were just " insert lightsaber fight here ". And went on for ages just for a set piece.

They were just lightsaber fights for the sake of having lightsaber fights and more more more mentality.

Was it Grevious who had 4 lightsabers ? Does that make it better than one ?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I love the lightsaber fights in VII because they look so real, like Rey/Ren/Finn are actually trying to kill each other, you know, like a real fight. Not the acrobatics that happened in the prequels and even the OT
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
I thought the battle between Qui Gon / Obi Wan and Darth Maul was probably the best of the prequels.

The ones with Yoda bouncing around like a bouncy ball in the other two were pretty distracting. Plus, in EPIII, why did Palpatine have a lightsaber at all if he could do the whole force lightning thing?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room

Ironically he was killed by a blaster

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Plus, in EPIII, why did Palpatine have a lightsaber at all if he could do the whole force lightning thing?

Because Lightsabers.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Plinkett really hit the nail on the head with the use of lightsabers in the prequels. As cool of a weapon it is, sometimes less is more. I'd even say most cases, less is more. When you can't go 5 minutes without someone pulling out their lightsaber, it doesn't feel as special or unique anymore.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Plus, in EPIII, why did Palpatine have a lightsaber at all if he could do the whole force lightning thing?

Because Lightsabers.

Maybe his lightsaber goes to 11?  :lol

Plinkett really hit the nail on the head with the use of lightsabers in the prequels. As cool of a weapon it is, sometimes less is more. I'd even say most cases, less is more. When you can't go 5 minutes without someone pulling out their lightsaber, it doesn't feel as special or unique anymore.

^ Totally agree.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
And that scene with all the little kids blindly swinging around lightsabers.

Less weapon of a highly trained warrior - more fashion accessory like an iPhone

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
There's plenty of reasons not to give kids lightsabers..

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member

This was one of my biggest problems with the prequels. You see light sabers every 10 minutes, so after a while, it's not cool anymore. Episode VII handled light sabers perfectly, IMO.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Calvin6s

The Prequels Strike Back: A Fan's Journey - Official Teaser Trailer

:facepalm:

Why do people feel the need to make the prequels the center of their Star Wars lives.  TFA comes out .... can you make it to the end of the review without a prequel slag/defense?

When conversation about what saber duels we might see (or want to see) in Ep.8 turns into "well, let me tell you why the prequels saber duels suck/rule" .... sucks to be you.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!

In his case, yes. He wasn't a force user, so he had a big disadvantage compared to a lightsaber-wielding Jedi or Sith, but he made up for that by being mostly cyborg and having 4 lightsabers. If you're a jedi you're not really used to fighting against another lightsaber-wielder in a war (because there were only two Sith), although you have done so in training of course. But who can prepare for a fight with a cyborg wielding 4 lightsabers and swinging them around in every direction constantly? Very few people. That's why Grievous killed so many Jedi.

Well, if he'd been attacked with blasters, he needs some way to defend himself, right? He could just dodged everything, but having a lightsaber means having the ability to go full melee while dodging and reflecting blasts.
Moreover, you can't win a fight against another Jedi/Sith without a lightsaber if that other person has one. They could just use their lightsaber to block your lightning.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
plus he could do shit like this

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

This was one of my biggest problems with the prequels. You see light sabers every 10 minutes, so after a while, it's not cool anymore. Episode VII handled light sabers perfectly, IMO.

Ep. VII brought the cool back.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Just when you thought all the Rey theories had been covered

https://medium.com/@KenjiLopezAlt/rey-is-a-palpatine-f2a0346dd1da#.z8guubt3g
Photobucket sucks.

Calvin6s

That one has been floating around for some time.

But you think it is fun to watch now?  Wait until this trilogy has concluded and the same people that swore Rey was Optimus Prime will tell you how they figured out every twist and turn before it happened.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
That theory seems pretty silly, but I think I might actually prefer that over the obvious "she's a Skywalker" one.

I'd really like to be surprised by the next two movies. VII did a good job of resetting what a SW movie should be, albeit a bit derivative of the OT. Time to take the series into new territory now, I reckon..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:00:31 PM by Logain Ablar »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Didn't Rian Johnson say Episode 8 was going to be really different and weird ?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Didn't Rian Johnson say Episode 8 was going to be really different and weird ?

Yes, I read that too. Let's hope so.

Maybe it will involve travelling back in time to get some humpback whales to communicate with an evil First Order probe. Oh wait, I think that has been done.. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Hmm, if done right, I'd be okay if that theory turned out to be true. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
They should Genisys the SW universe and go back in time to erase the prequels.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
They should Genisys the SW universe and go back in time to erase the prequels.
                         ^ Ugh - terrible movie. Not even the mother of dragons could save that one.  :)

BTW - I don't think time travel belongs in the SW universe at all. I wouldn't like to see it in any sort of storyline.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
But I'm talking about Ep. 8 big duel predictions, hopes or just flat out throwing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.

I would love to see Luke fight in Episode 8. It would be cool to see him take Kylo to town, or at least have a moment where the audience can marvel at his pwnage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not a SW fan by any means. Episode 7 is really great and I enjoy the original trilogy for the most part. I obviously hate the prequels.

But the main thing I don't want is for Snoke to turn out to be a reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker.

It would be as pointless as having Khan in a new Star Trek film. As much as I enjoyed Into Darkness as well as Cumberbatch's performance - he wasn't Khan.

This new trilogy needs to be about Kylo Ren as the sith apprentice - Snoke as the new Big bad and Rey finding herself . No Darth Vader / Anakin / Yoda force Ghosts.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I reckon that the success of the new trilogy will heavily depend on Episode VIII. Episode VII was pretty well received and was a gift for fans of all generations, but Ep. VIII is where it's all at. If it chooses to play safe just as Ep. VII, it's not gonna be good.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Calvin6s

If it chooses to play safe just as Ep. VII, it's not gonna be good.
Agree with that.  Star Wars is about arcs.  If it just becomes a fight of the week serial, then it will cease to be Star Wars.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Eh, the story will be good if it's good, whether or not it plays to any of your/my preconceptions about what it should be or what it should do.  So these line-in-the-sand statements about what it better do or better not do are pretty pointless. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Calvin6s

The only thing that makes something good or not good is the viewer's perception.  If we just get mindless battles, most adults will not like it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Side bar: Am I the only person who was 100% fine with Rey being able to fight Kylo at the end of the film? A lot of people seem to think it's some kind of plot hole that she could fight an experienced force user without training of her own, but I don't feel that's necessarily the case, mainly because she's clearly some kind of prodigy. In other words, Kylo is the regular bloke who took until his senior year of high school to learn calculus, whereas Rey is the freaky smart kid who taught herself calculus in the third grade. :lol

I dunno... It really doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all. Maybe I'm not being analytical enough, but I loved that final duel.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I didn't have any problem with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes. Rey was not a true Jedi but Kylo was not a true sith either. They were both work in progress. Also Ren was badly injured and desperate. Rey was empowered.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Also, Rey could fight. We see her beat three guys back on Jakku with her staff. So all things considered, yeah the final duel makes perfect sense.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Force Awakens had lots of problems. The fight scenes weren't among them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com