Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 464383 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread -- USE OTHER THREAD FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS
« Reply #3640 on: February 22, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
^You actually make a pretty compelling case.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread -- USE OTHER THREAD FOR THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS
« Reply #3641 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
" :angry: I just know The Force Awakens won't win best picture oscar "

:p Um it's not nominated for it.

" :angry: why not ? Star Wars should win everything "

:lol k calm down

Calvin6s

« Reply #3642 on: February 24, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »
Star Wars could be looking at its first character/plot related Oscar if the Poe/Finn relationship rumors turn out to be true.  Of course, this means Finn is either bi or was considering Rey as a beard.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3643 on: February 25, 2016, 06:36:02 AM »
My god I hope those rumors are not true. I think it's pretty clear that any romance will come from Finn and Rey. I think Finn will turn into the new Han of this trilogy but actually get killed off in the episode 9.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3644 on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:07 AM »
Wait, Poe and FINN? Where the hell did that rumor come from? Sounds like absolute BS to me, like most rumors. The novelization would indicate that Rey/Poe is the likely couple in future movies.
But Poe/Finn? Not happening. Ever. :lol They want to appeal to the widest audience possible, especially kids. I can see the rage now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3645 on: February 25, 2016, 08:54:32 AM »
I've heard about the Poe and Finn thing for a long time now, but I don't think it'll happen.

And I don't want Finn/Rey to happen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3646 on: February 25, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
:dunno: why the fucking fuck does every film need some romance horse shit shoved in ?

I wince every time I see a movie trailer and there's always without fail the half a second "hero and love interest swap saliva" shot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3647 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
It's even worse when the very first female character the hero sees in the movie is the one he ends up with at the end.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3648 on: February 25, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »
:dunno: why the fucking fuck does every film need some romance horse shit shoved in ?
Because people like to fuck.  Even film characters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3649 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
fuck

Calvin6s

« Reply #3650 on: February 25, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »
Not Jedi.  Although the younglings have some stories to the contrary.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3651 on: February 25, 2016, 01:13:01 PM »
I think the whole "Jedi are not supposed to love" rule is pretty ridiculous and in the Plinkett reviews he brings up some great points about it. Even if they are trained from when they were kids, there are still gonna be major problems once they hit puberty. I think moving forward, some of the rules will change. Because apart from Luke there no longer are any Jedi out there, and I think there will be some minor changes to the rules that they will teach.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3652 on: February 25, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
I think Plinkett missed the whole point.  The Jedi in the PT were flawed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3653 on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »
If I never read any of your posts in the P/R section and only read your posts in the Star Wars thread, I would probably think you are hecka' smart.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3654 on: February 25, 2016, 01:32:03 PM »

13th commandment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #3655 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
As far as the whole Poe and Finn relationship, the Rey thing definitely makes it seem like nothing more than wishful thinking from people that don't realize they are being Poochie.

Unless .....

Finn:  We should hang out more.  Side by side.
Poe:  No.  I've heard enough.  I've heard you like Rey.
Finn:  No.  I'm your huckleberry.
Poe:  Yes.  Yessssssss!!!!!

Rey and Ren are just there to throw off us from the big twist.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3656 on: February 25, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
Okay, yeah, never mind what I said in my last post.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3657 on: February 25, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »
That's ok.  I didn't understand your last post.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3658 on: February 25, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
 :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3659 on: February 25, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
The "classic" Jedi as we know it were trained from young kids, grew up with the values and were moulded into what a Jedi should be. (So basically a cult) Rey might have gotten training when she was young (that is one theory), but either way, she has grown up without those values and is basically your normal person who happens to be force sensitive, and will most likely become a Jedi for episode 9 after being trained by Luke.

Either way, no matter how these events play out, I think it would be really weird if.. Luke tells Rey, "Oh by the way, you can't have emotions" when she's already ~20. With Anakin he was at least 10 or something when he started, but Rey is already past that stage. I would guess that they focus on the important parts, like Jedi being keepers of the peace, and stand up for what's right and so on. Jedi being weird monks who can't have feelings was never really a key element of the Jedi IMO. Even in the original trilogy the only things they really touch upon are the negative feelings leading to the dark side (which obviously makes sense). Luke still went on an emotional journey, and his journey was about as far away from the "pokerface Jedi" you could get.

Personally I would like it that way since Luke and Rey have by far been the most relatable characters because they feel human. They laugh, they cry, they go through challenges and they meet friends along the way. In the prequels I could never relate to the Jedi because they were portrayed so monotone, and the stuff Lucas added to their mythos just made it harder to appreciate them. I think you can keep the core ideals of what the Jedi stand for without having the weird cult rules of "you can't have emotions".

Calvin6s

« Reply #3660 on: February 25, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
Ok, now we are going to go Star Wars geek full throttle

AFAI can tell, Ben and Yoda were still stuck in the dogma, but at the same time were not pushing the heavier dogma "don't hook up".  They still had a tendency to go Spock with the need to save Luke's friends in Cloud City.  Yoda still thought Luke was too old and more or less had reservations the same as he did with Anakin.  But they also seem to have lightened up or at least focused on what they felt was relevant still and disregarded the questionable parts.  Luke was the transition, starting with the basic fact he was the offspring of a Jedi.  So I'm not so sure Luke and Rey have to make changes from the PT.  They already happened.  And not as a plot hole, but as an actual plot device.

Some things to consider with the PT foundation.

Anakin did notice the flaws of the Jedi.  It wasn't all just emo whine.  He had relevant points.  He also had to suffer through it in silence.  His only true sounding board was Padme.  She wasn't just a hook up.  She was also his therapist.  When she became pregnant and he started having the premonitions, he couldn't talk about it to anybody except the person that was also the focal point.  He couldn't get the much needed outsider perspective.  This would be weighing on anybody.

When Padme was gone, he lost his sounding board.  Palpatine was not the father figure he had hoped for.  He's almost like an abused child at this point.  Nowhere to turn.  Staying is hard, but leaving might be harder.  And he had to suffer and brood in silence (worse, he had to bury his thoughts as well).  When Palpatine was killing Luke, it was 1000x more effective watching him twist in silence.  I wasn't even 10 yet and I knew what was happening.  It wasn't just about his love for Luke, but it was the final straw that let him know that Palpatine wasn't just a dick, but Palpatine truly had absolutely no respect (or love) for Vader.  The whole "Noooo" didn't change the ultimate conclusion, but ruined the theme of suffering in silence ... for decades.

And as far as the Jedi flaw and Anakin's conflict for noticing it, when Palpatine talks about dogma and a larger view (not running away knowledge, but making that decision on your own) no matter how evil the dude is, the audience and Anakin are thinking "Dude's got a point."

I could probably keep extrapolating, but it all adds up to the Jedi being flawed wasn't bad writing.  It was 100% intentional.  And from a removed audience perspective, it seems dumb.  How could they not see this coming?  Kind of like Nazi Germany and about everything else gone horribly wrong in history.

In conclusion, I think Luke is already free to get some stank on his hang low (that's an old one).  And it wouldn't be in conflict with Ep. 1 to 6.  It would actually be validating them.

Or maybe not.  Maybe I'm just an idiot and Plinkett is a genius.  (Puts on Space Cop.  Hmm.  I might be right.)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3661 on: February 25, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »
I would probably prefer it if Luke did slip and fell in love, had a kid (Rey) instead of him making all the right decisions. It would be another human element to his character that would keep him relatable. Those problems that Anakin had, they are in Luke's blood as well. Luke doesn't need to be the ultimate pure Jedi, I think it's enough for us that Luke chose the good side instead of the bad, and whether he hooked up with someone or not is beside the point.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
star wars
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:41:39 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
That's Grand Moff Tarkin to you, punk!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Calvin6s

Anybody else not loving the Star Wars Rebels Season 2?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Here's a real random question for people: Do you think that Kylo Ren will wear his mask in the next film? It seems to me like the only reason he wore it in Episode VII was to intimidate people, but now he's going to be more legit (aka trained) and have a massive scar on his face. I'm think the mask could be done for. Thoughts?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It'll probably be half and half like VII.

Calvin6s

He was just using the 200lb mask to build up his trapezius muscles.  Solo told him his traps were looking sweet and didn't need the mask any more.  So no mask.

I'm guessing we might see something like the leaked artwork for his appearance.  Didn't he lose his helmet at Starkiller?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
The mask did make quite a clunk when he dropped it on that walkway. It sounded like dropping an anvil!

I think we will get to see it again in VIII, but there will be a big reveal to show his lightsaber scar on his face after his duel with Rey.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Plot twist : Snoke is Kylo Ren from the future.

Calvin6s

Speaking of the big lightsaber duels, will we simply get a Rocky III.  Snoke (Mick) dies, so Hux (his former rival) steps up to train Ren to a montage.  Finn witnesses the Rey v. Ren rematch.  Finn comments that Ren looks like a middleweight Dark Jedi.  Rey is going heavy, but runs out of gas.  Ren sees his opening and goes in for the kill.  But the big twist happens when Rey bites Ren's ear.  And everybody claiming it was a reboot of Rocky III now have some splainin' to do.

Or will there be some duels that actually surprise and make Ep. 8 the new Pound for Pound king of the Star Wars series?  Even the scenario like Ren turns good and Rey turns evil is contrived (although not as bland as Rey just kicking butt again).  Really hoping for something truly stunning.  Rey turns Ren *back to the light*, they kill Snoke together only to have Ren kill her because she no longer has her guard up against him.   Ren declares his new empire going into Ep. 9.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I thought the duel in 7 was perfectly handled. The main reason I find the prequel fights so boring is because there's not much to really care about or be invested in story or character-wise. To me it's 90% what is going on, like the internal struggle and not the actual fight itself that makes a good lightsaber fight. As long as they have a good story and we're invested, I think the next duel will be great either way. But if it's worse than the prequels, then a 30 minute one-take lightsaber duel won't do much.

Calvin6s

But I'm talking about Ep. 8 big duel predictions, hopes or just flat out throwing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
...moved.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:26:20 PM by Kotowboy »