Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 456195 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Some people prefer the prequels to the original trilogy.
No. No! That's not true! That's umpossible!

I read this as Ralphie Wiggum. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I need to see the original 3 again. They all blur together in my mind. Need to be reminded why Empire is so good and Jedi is not that great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Some people prefer the prequels to the original trilogy.
No. No! That's not true! That's umpossible!

I read this as Ralphie Wiggum. :lol

I like Siths now :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I need to see the original 3 again. They all blur together in my mind. Need to be reminded why Empire is so good and Jedi is not that great.
Mainly because Ewoks.  I think had the battle of Endor not take a bit of a turn for the silly, many more people would hold Jedi up on equal par with Empire.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Mainly because Ewoks.  I think had the battle of Endor not take a bit of a turn for the silly, many more people would hold Jedi up on equal par with Empire.

pretty much that. the 'silly' aspect that Bosk1 refers to is what keeps Jedi from attaining Empire status in my book.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Completely agree.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
If Disney do indeed release original theatrical cuts on Blu Ray - i'll probably get them.

But they need to be remastered and widescreen if at all possible.

EDIT : Disney *must* know that they'll make a FORTUNE if they release the original theatrical versions but cleaned up etc. A FORTUNE. All the Special Editions will go immediately on eBay :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If they have the theatrical versions, and if there is nothing in the contract about what they can do with them, I would be shocked if they do not get re-released at some point in the near future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I heard that they can do what they want with Empire & Jedi but Fox owns the rights to A New Hope.

I'm sure Disney can afford to buy them with the money they've made from TFA.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have been waiting my whole life for a version that is the original and is widescreen and 5.1.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'd gladly get those and TFA onwards.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
That's it exactly.  Ewoks bring it down.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
The ewoks is such a small part of 6 that it doesn't really bother me that much, but it's not as good as Empire, that's for sure. Still, the end lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader is my favorite in the franchise and that finale more than enough makes up for weaker moments.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I've never understood the Ewok hate, actually.  They're funny and silly, but in true sci-fi fashion, they have their own society and culture, and they organize to help fight the bad guys.  They brought some levity to things.

I have been waiting my whole life for a version that is the original and is widescreen and 5.1.

5.1 would be cool, but if you want a presentation completely true to the original theatrical version, it would be Dolby Stereo.  There was no 5.1 at the time.  They'd have to synthesize it, or remaster it from existing elements (if the multitracks even still exist -- I don't know how it works with movies).

My system has several modes, including 7.1/5.1, "Enhanced Surround" (synthesized surround from a stereo soundtrack), and "Multi-Stereo".  "Multi-Stereo" assigns all Left speakers (front, rear, surround) to the Left channel and all Right speakers (front, rear, surround) to the Right channel, while sending a combined mono to the Center and Subwoofer.  Regular FM radio, iPod, and vinyl all sound pretty great this way, and this is also the setting I use for older movies with 2.0 (stereo) soundtracks.

People would whine about buying Blu-rays with "only 2.0" soundtracks, but even if they cook up 5.1 soundtracks for them, they should at least offer 2.0 as an option.  I'm pretty sure that that was the original presentation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I've never understood the Ewok hate, actually.  They're funny and silly, but in true sci-fi fashion, they have their own society and culture, and they organize to help fight the bad guys.  They brought some levity to things.

I'm not sure that it is "hate"--at least, not from me.  But the fact that the Battle of Endor did take on a silly, lighthearted tone that made it less serious, and the fact that the Ewoks were a big part of the reason why (but not the only reason--Chewbacca Tarzan yell, I'm looking at you!), takes it down a notch for me.  Not enough to ruin the film by any stretch, but definitely enough to put it below Empire instead of at the same level.  If you wanna call that "hate," I think you are overstating the point.

EDIT:  Same thing with what was added to Jabba's palace.  It went from "Jabba is gangsta and is running things, and like any boss, he can have in-house entertainment nonstop" to "let's do a big musical number, Star Wars style!," which I don't think ANYBODY outside of Lucas has ever felt worked well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Orbert, You'd think they could still make a 5.1 like they do with older albums.  Look at what Steven Wilson did with Yes Fragile.  I hope they could release that at some point.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
You foolish ingrates underestimate the Ewoks.

You will pay for this. Ewoks are the inheritors of the omniverse.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
They also double as a rag to wax my car.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Little do you know this is all apart of the plan to get King to spread Ewok semen all over his car, attracting our alpha females. YOUR HEAD WILL SOON BE BITTEN OFF AFTER COPIOUS FORNICATION OF INTENSE PLEASURE.

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Their trouble, like Tribbles.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
I actually loved the Ewoks, but I think the performance out of all of three main actors, with the possible exception of Carrie Fisher, was just insincere. I think it was poorly directed, and compared to The Empire Strikes Back, it's night and day.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Their trouble, like Tribbles.

You're a tribble...

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I actually loved the Ewoks, but I think the performance out of all of three main actors, with the possible exception of Carrie Fisher, was just insincere. I think it was poorly directed, and compared to The Empire Strikes Back, it's night and day.

rumor has it there was a severe case of fleas on the set of Jedi due to rampant unprotected sex between the Ewoks....it even forced Hamill to shave his head at one point....he had a sweet spot for the Calico mother.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
Gman knows what I'm talking about.

No one can resist dat Ewok ass.

NO ONE.

Another rumor says that the only thing in the universe that the force cannot work on...is Ewok fever.

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

I'm not sure that it is "hate"--at least, not from me.  But the fact that the Battle of Endor did take on a silly, lighthearted tone that made it less serious, and the fact that the Ewoks were a big part of the reason why (but not the only reason--Chewbacca Tarzan yell, I'm looking at you!), takes it down a notch for me.  Not enough to ruin the film by any stretch, but definitely enough to put it below Empire instead of at the same level.  If you wanna call that "hate," I think you are overstating the point.

EDIT:  Same thing with what was added to Jabba's palace.  It went from "Jabba is gangsta and is running things, and like any boss, he can have in-house entertainment nonstop" to "let's do a big musical number, Star Wars style!," which I don't think ANYBODY outside of Lucas has ever felt worked well.
It's like you are thinking my thoughts.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well, dear, that is common when you are in a relationship this long.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
I see how it is. One second of spotlight on the Ewoks and it's back to you two and your BEAUTIFUL relationship. It's always like this. Bullshit.

RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
OH SNAP! !! :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
:tiojorge: :tiojorge: :tiojorge:
:tiojorge: :dangerwillrobinson:  :tiojorge: 
:tiojorge: :tiojorge: :tiojorge:

Trapped Inside This Jorge-o-varium !!!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
When I re-watched the original trilogy a couple of months back, I actually found it kind of jarring how radical the shift in tone was from Empire to Jedi. Empire is this dark, gut punch of a film, and then like five minutes into Jedi there's a pig hippo and a dude who looks like Majin Buu.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
To be honest I think the new trilogy will follow the original fairly close tone-wise. Ep 8 will be the dark one where shit gets real, Ep 9 will be the triumphant one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
To be honest I think the new trilogy will follow the original fairly close tone-wise. Ep 8 will be the dark one where shit gets real, Ep 9 will be the triumphant one.

How could it not?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Pretty standard 3 act story arc.