Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344512 times)

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1435 on: July 03, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »
Well I got rather drunk the other night and my friend just revealed to me that I belted out several lines of OTBOA to his voicemail inbox. This leads me to believe that it's catchier than I thought - if i can remember it after 10 beer bongs, a crate of miller, some Jack Daniels and various other spirits.  ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1436 on: July 03, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
Well I got rather drunk the other night and my friend just revealed to me that I belted out several lines of OTBOA to his voicemail inbox. This leads me to believe that it's catchier than I thought - if i can remember it after 10 beer bongs, a crate of miller, some Jack Daniels and various other spirits.  ;D

"I'M ONTO YOUR AGENDAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #1437 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
who cares what Eddie Trunk thinks? he's just some radio guy..

I can see why people would be interested in Portnoy's opinion.. he was in the band!

My 2 cents:
I like the song, but it feels incomplete. Compositionally it is not as sound as most DT songs, and honestly, the fact that the song was written by 4/5ths of the band comes through very clearly in the song musically, compositionally, and in the mix. Mangini sounds great, but doesn't have enough presence as a whole, like Portnoy always did. The band's music has always been very guitar/drums based (more recently guitar/drums/keyboards based) and in OTBOA, the drums character seems a little under-developed. Makes sense, though -- Mangini just joined the band, and with time will develop a stronger character in the band.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1438 on: July 03, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
The song hasn't gotten any worse in the past few days I've been listening to it, it's only gotten better, so that's a good sign. If the album is going to yield songs like this and better, I am incredibly pumped.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1439 on: July 03, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
cannot stop listening to the song. i still love it

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1440 on: July 03, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »
Well I got rather drunk the other night and my friend just revealed to me that I belted out several lines of OTBOA to his voicemail inbox. This leads me to believe that it's catchier than I thought - if i can remember it after 10 beer bongs, a crate of miller, some Jack Daniels and various other spirits.  ;D

"I'M ONTO YOUR AGENDAAAAAAAAAAA!"

For some reason whenever I sing that line I feel compelled to continue with:

"...ABUSE, AND THEEEN IGNORE HIM..."
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1441 on: July 03, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
cannot stop listening to the song. i still love it
Yup, I have a feeling it could sneak up the charts to be one of my favorite DT songs.

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #1442 on: July 03, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »

I think i have listened to this song for like 30 times since the release. It's my favorite DT single, actually, I like it even more than PMU.

I really can't wait for the new album.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1443 on: July 03, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
I remember something Portnoy said during the Budokan documentary... like that it bothered him when a band got known for a certain style and then did something completely different later in their career. That goes completly against artistic creation IMO. So bands like Opeth, Ulver, Radiohead are in the wrong? Anyway, I don't think it's just Portnoy, it's the vision of the entire band. "Let's do like classic DT!", "The fans won't like that so we shouldn't do that.." etc. I just don't get it... They have the potential to do much more than that...

Also, I think people are really over-analysing this tweet stuff. Yeah it wasn't a wise move but at least he didn't upright talk about the song negatively or something. I do think the tweet sounded negative but it's hard to tell what MP had in mind when he re-tweeted it.

As for the song, it's pretty good but I don't get the urge to go and listen to it again. Might be a grower though, we'll see.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:33:20 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1444 on: July 03, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
When I was in high school there was this shitty band and they had a song that had the lyrics "faster and faster, we spiral tooooooooooooooowards disaster"  :rollin which makes this song so uncool to me now...

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1445 on: July 03, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »
I remember something Portnoy said during the Budokan documentary... like that it bothered him when a band got known for a certain style and then did something completely different later in their career. That does completly against artistic creation IMO. So bands like Opeth, Ulver, Radiohead are in the wrong? Anyway, I don't think it's just Portnoy, it's the vision of the entire band. "Let's do like classic DT!", "The fans won't like that so we shouldn't do that.." etc. I just don't get it... They have the potential to do much more than that...
Well said.

Also, lol @ all the twitter drama. I had no idea there was so much of it.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1446 on: July 03, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »

I think i have listened to this song for like 30 times since the release. It's my favorite DT single, actually, I like it even more than PMU.

I really can't wait for the new album.
Yeah, I agree. I liked the lyrics of Pull Me Under more. Frankly, I think when Kevin Moore left, they lost more in terms of a lyricist, than in terms of a keyboardist.

But apart from the lyrics, I definitely like Angels better than Pull Me Under, overall.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1447 on: July 03, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
Kevin Moore was a fantastic lyricist and keyboardist. I can only listen to Jordan for so long until I wonder when he'll get around to playing some actual music.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #1448 on: July 03, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
Kevin Moore was a fantastic lyricist and keyboardist. I can only listen to Jordan for so long until I wonder when he'll get around to playing some actual music.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.  The piano solo part in this new song makes me cringe every time because it is so unmusical to me.  My wife was in the room while I was listening to the song and typically she could care less about DT, but she actually looked up from what she was doing to ask why there was a classical piano part in the song and that it sounds so out of place.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1449 on: July 03, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.  The piano solo part in this new song makes me cringe every time because it is so unmusical to me.  My wife was in the room while I was listening to the song and typically she could care less about DT, but she actually looked up from what she was doing to ask why there was a classical piano part in the song and that it sounds so out of place.

disagree 100% - I absolutely love the piano piece on the song. Jordans keys on OTBOA are great all the way through, yes there are plenty of notes - which you will always get with him - but imho they are not over the top as maybe they have been in places before. Love KM's contribution to DT too but he left 17 years ago now.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1450 on: July 03, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
Generally JR was fine on the song. But he had those moments where he did those stocato keys like he always does, and they were REALLY loud in the mix, maybe if they were a bit quieter, I wouldn't mind them so much. But his piano bit was pretty lame. Nothing horrible or anything, but lacked............anything, it was just a bunch of fast arps, which is what his piano playing seems to have devolved into as of late.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1451 on: July 03, 2011, 04:38:08 PM »
Well, I actually rather liked the piano solo, but mostly because it was a standout segment in a track that is pretty standard DT.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1452 on: July 03, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
Well, I actually rather liked the piano solo, but mostly because it was a standout segment in a track that is pretty standard DT.

Eh, it was so "JR by numbers" though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1453 on: July 03, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »
I definitely won't argue with that. In the grand scope of the song, though, it stood out to me.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #1454 on: July 03, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »

agreed

Offline Setebos

« Reply #1455 on: July 03, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »
And there I thought, after 17 years people would be able to move on. Apparently not though. Stupid me. :facepalm:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »

Eh, it was so "JR by numbers" though.

What an "Adami by the numbers" post :P

The Eddie Trunk comments don't really bother me at all. I've always gotten the impression that his support of Dream Theater was pretty much a diplomatic thing. He's Mike's personal friend, for one, and Mike's also a pretty high-profile guy to have as a regular guest and having him on to talk about DT was good for Eddie's ratings. But if you listen to the stuff he plays on his show, you've really gotta wonder if he is really a big Dream Theater fan at all.

I remember something Portnoy said during the Budokan documentary... like that it bothered him when a band got known for a certain style and then did something completely different later in their career. That goes completly against artistic creation IMO. So bands like Opeth, Ulver, Radiohead are in the wrong? Anyway, I don't think it's just Portnoy, it's the vision of the entire band. "Let's do like classic DT!", "The fans won't like that so we shouldn't do that.." etc. I just don't get it... They have the potential to do much more than that...

You know, if there's one thing MP can definitely be faulted for, I'd say it's that he never really had as good of an idea about what the DT fans wanted as he thought he did.

And there I thought, after 17 years people would be able to move on. Apparently not though. Stupid me. :facepalm:
Yeah, I don't *always* like what JR plays, just like I don't *always* like what LaBrie sings, or what John plays, or what Mike or the other John play. But people really put JR under a microscope and it's so unnecessary. I'm surprised there aren't people sorting through JR's garbage to determine whether it's as "tasteful" as it could be...

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1457 on: July 03, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
Sorry, I didn't realize that if I am not impressed with the current direction of a band, I am without the ability to "move on." (Whatever that means)

I guess I should just love every little note Jordan plays. Don't wanna be behind the times!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1458 on: July 03, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
I can see why people don't dig JR's piano bit. Yeah, it is JR by numbers, but it is damn good piano and MILES above his synth lead patch that sounds bad most of the time. Plus, it becomes way better when MM and JMX come in under the piano, and the into that rocking guitar solo.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1459 on: July 03, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »

epicfacepalm.jpg
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1460 on: July 03, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
Jordan is guilty of some random noises occasionally. I'm in the minority that like his solo in The Shattered Fortress, but there are a few spots where he starts making random noises that kinda ruins it a bit. What I don't understand though, is after years of complaining that Jordan should use more piano, he finally uses it again, and people still complain that it's "Jordan by numbers".

« Reply #1461 on: July 03, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »
Jordan is guilty of some random noises occasionally. I'm in the minority that like his solo in The Shattered Fortress, but there are a few spots where he starts making random noises that kinda ruins it a bit. What I don't understand though, is after years of complaining that Jordan should use more piano, he finally uses it again, and people still complain that it's "Jordan by numbers".

Maybe DT should just get rid of Jordan altogether and be a 4 piece band, or get a second guitarist instead. [/sarcasm]

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1462 on: July 03, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »

Maybe DT should just get rid of Jordan altogether and be a 4 piece band, or get a second guitarist instead. [/sarcasm]

Huckle chuckle

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1463 on: July 03, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Nah, it's more that I'd just rather hear Jordan play something I enjoy hearing.

But if you want to twist my words around, then that's fine.

« Reply #1464 on: July 03, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
Nah, it's more that I'd just rather hear Jordan play something I enjoy hearing.

But if you want to twist my words around, then that's fine.

Well, that's vague. "I want music that I enjoy," duuh. Like... What 'era' Jordan DID you like?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1465 on: July 03, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
I like some of his rhythm work, and the occasional piano melody, but overall, he just doesn't do it for me. I find most of his solos pretty tiresome and repetitive, and he doesn't hold my attention nearly as much as Kevin did.

« Reply #1466 on: July 03, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »
I like some of his rhythm work, and the occasional piano melody, but overall, he just doesn't do it for me. I find most of his solos pretty tiresome and repetitive, and he doesn't hold my attention nearly as much as Kevin did.
They did lose SOMETHING with Kevin. But honestly, I think Jordan, while different, brought just as much to DT. Some of his stuff is hit and miss. Like, I loved his shredding on In The Presence of Enemies, and his piano work on Forsaken was freakin beautiful. Most of his stuff in Black Clouds was a little underwhelming.

But you know, it was the same with Kevin. I loved his piano stuff, and some of his synth stuff. But I wasn't crazy about his stuff in most of Awake. Songs like Innocence Faded and Scarred, I wasn't crazy about the keyboard parts at all.

Frankly, in terms of consistency, I think Derek was the best. His stuff wasn't AMAZING, but it was still good and enjoyable, and never intrusive at all. And his Organ work reminded me of Deep Purple.

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #1467 on: July 03, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
Confused by alot of what has been said in in this thread (and I know not everyone will be happy with everything) but this one song has everything that all of us have been wanting i.e. more acoustic guitar, more piano, less wankery, better lyrics, BASS, and better song structure and arranging. They have succeeded on all parts. THIS is DT and we should all be happy.  I know I am.
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1468 on: July 03, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
Confused by alot of what has been said in in this thread (and I know not everyone will be happy with everything) but this one song has everything that all of us have been wanting i.e. more acoustic guitar, more piano, less wankery, better lyrics, BASS, and better song structure and arranging. They have succeeded on all parts. THIS is DT and we should all be happy.  I know I am.
You win the thread. :tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1469 on: July 03, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
Guess it's that time of the year to get excited about Dream Theater again. This new track is growing on me. James' vocals sound a bit bland at the beginning but man do they get good once they bring in that awesome chorus.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.