Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344489 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #735 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
It could be either one, we still don't know.

How could it be either one? It says "A Dramatic Turn of Events"

if it was the single cover it'd have the name of the single on it.
That was what I was thinking.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #736 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
The most boring opening song in the DT catalog.

**cough** New Millennium **cough**

New Millennium has an awesome style and groove that DT has never captured before or since.

This is the second time Ive been involved in this discussion. I never said New Millennium was a bad song or anything, I love it actually; but it shouldn't have been the opener

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #737 on: June 29, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
Listened to it twice already, that bit at around 3:00 sounded like something from Rudess's Feeding The Wheel. I also got a Mega Man vibe from certain sections  :tup

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #738 on: June 29, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »
Oh and the mix is not very good either.

This is were I started laughing. Nice troll.

Just because I don't much care for the song or the mix doesn't mean I'm trolling. I don't or ever will Troll on message boards. I'll leave that to the teeny boppers with no life. Anyway the rest of the album could kick major ass for all I know, I'll just have to wait and see.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #739 on: June 29, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

Just because I don't much care for the song or the mix doesn't mean I'm trolling. I don't or ever will Troll on message boards. I'll leave that to the teeny boppers with no life. Anyway the rest of the album could kick major ass for all I know, I'll just have to wait and see.

So what's wrong with the mix, other than the drums being a little soft?

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
The most boring opening song in the DT catalog.

I'm guessing you prefer the recent more riff based and metal oriented DT rather than the classical DT (more melodical and more awesome DT)?

Nope not at all. My favorite DT albums are I&W, Awake, FII, SFAM, and SDOIT. I enjoy TOT, Octavarium, SC, BCSL but not as much as the earlier stuff. I just thought the song was a little boring, it's not like this is the only DT song I find boring. Like I said the rest of the album could be great, I hope it is.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #741 on: June 29, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
I have listened to the song 3 or 4 times now and I can say it is amazing and shows that DT is wanting to return again to their more proggy side. This album is gonna be amazing!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
It was pretty standard for DT. I'm sure the album has some wow moments though.

This, yeah. I was actually expecting a wow song to announce the existence (and skill) of the new drummer. Mangini played very song-oriented; not a bad thing, but I didn't expect that.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »

So what's wrong with the mix, other than the drums being a little soft?

Maybe I'm to quick to judge on the mix since I am listening to it through youtube. It just sounds a little muffled to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
It was pretty standard for DT. I'm sure the album has some wow moments though.

This, yeah. I was actually expecting a wow song to announce the existence (and skill) of the new drummer. Mangini played very song-oriented; not a bad thing, but I didn't expect that.

rumborak

Rumbo, I'm surprised by your remarks.  When has DT ever released a wow track as a single?  Most have been a rock formulaic song. The only one I can think of is Home and they cut that down taking away the proggier moments.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:29 PM »
Yes, nothing special.

Pro:
JMX bass audio level in the mix is audible.

Con:
Rhythm is stiff and not organic (I blame JP and the programming of the drums).

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
The most boring opening song in the DT catalog. Mangini's drumming did nothing for me. Other than the lyrics being less cheesy than usual this song is pretty forgettable. Oh and the mix is not very good either.

Mangini's playing did nothing for you? WUT?!

Come on now.

It just didn't excite me the way Portnoy's playing does. Is MP's style somewhat predictable? Well yea, but he's still fun to listen to.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2011, 02:27:20 PM »
Mangini's drumming did nothing for me.

What --- actually kudos to JP for programming it like did... Mangini's input is supposed to be limited on the album. Yes, he is hitting the drums but apparently from what they said the beats were laid down by JP.

As somebody said before... if you didn't know that MP had left, you probably wouldn't call it at least on this song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #748 on: June 29, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I love MP as a drummer but MM's playing is just fine on this.  I like that he has more of a "Swing" to his hi hat playing.

Mangini's drumming did nothing for me.

What --- actually kudos to JP for programming it like did... Mangini's input is supposed to be limited on the album. Yes, he is hitting the drums but apparently from what they said the beats were laid down by JP.

As somebody said before... if you didn't know that MP had left, you probably wouldn't call it at least on this song.

Guys, I'd think that JP laid down a basic drum track with just time signatures and a few accents.  Then MM took it and put his spin on it and worked with the guys on the fills.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:35:32 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #749 on: June 29, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
Interesting that JP programming the beats is being brought up so much.  Yeah, honestly some of the beats sound like things I'd program in Superior Drummer, but Mangini's style is also everywhere in this, especially the cymbals.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #750 on: June 29, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
I love it. Very proggy and twisty. I giggled with happiness several times on my 3rd listen. Nothing about it made me want to leave the DT club, which is the first time since 8VM for me, and it sounds better than that. Cannot wait to have a CD of this.

Still hoping for more soaring vocals and lyrics that mean something sensitive in the album. Thanks, fellas. Welcome back!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #751 on: June 29, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
As for whether we could notice a change in drummer:

Where is all the china cymbal work?  It's NOT Dream Theater and it's definitely not ballsy and/or chunky if I don't hear this thing banged uninterestingly for every heavy DT moment!!! /sarcasm

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #752 on: June 29, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
If I can get into the vocals, I'm going to love this song.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #753 on: June 29, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »
The intro and the chorus are my favorite parts of the song. Especially the intro. Overall, it's pretty solid.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: June 29, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Finally decided to come out of lurking mode to give my thoughts on the song:

First time through, I was mainly in "oh wow, new Dream Theater!" mode, so I can't really give my initial impression other than that. My second listen through is where the WOW began. That huge moment when the heaviness hits and the choir swells, the epic piano solo, Petrucci tearing it up, Myung quite audible in the mix, Mangini proving he deserves the job from the first tom rolls-so much goodness. I too get the sense that it's a LaBrie lyric, it just feels like something he'd write, so I imagine I'm way off because I suck at predicting things like that.

An interesting thing I've noticed: when people compare it to earlier Dream Theater, you get a bit of a variance of opinon in which era it actually sounds like. To me, it felt a bit like I&W meeting Awake, others say SFAM or FII, others yet say 6DOIT. Which suggests to me that it sounds like, well, Dream Theater. It doesn't sound like Dream Theater sounding like Metallica or Muse or what have you-it sounds like Dream Theater. That gives me a lot of hope for the CD's musical direction. I've loved Dream Theater since the first time I heard "Pull Me Under" way back when, but I have to admit that SC and BCSL took a bit of effort for me to get into. If the rest of the CD matches this, then I suspect I won't have to put in as much effort.

Welcome, and really good first post.  I gotta say I agree with everything you said :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #755 on: June 29, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I rated the song 8/10 for the first like 10 listens. Now, it's like a 9/10. 
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Kosmo

« Reply #756 on: June 29, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Finally decided to come out of lurking mode to give my thoughts on the song:

First time through, I was mainly in "oh wow, new Dream Theater!" mode, so I can't really give my initial impression other than that. My second listen through is where the WOW began. That huge moment when the heaviness hits and the choir swells, the epic piano solo, Petrucci tearing it up, Myung quite audible in the mix, Mangini proving he deserves the job from the first tom rolls-so much goodness. I too get the sense that it's a LaBrie lyric, it just feels like something he'd write, so I imagine I'm way off because I suck at predicting things like that.

An interesting thing I've noticed: when people compare it to earlier Dream Theater, you get a bit of a variance of opinon in which era it actually sounds like. To me, it felt a bit like I&W meeting Awake, others say SFAM or FII, others yet say 6DOIT. Which suggests to me that it sounds like, well, Dream Theater. It doesn't sound like Dream Theater sounding like Metallica or Muse or what have you-it sounds like Dream Theater. That gives me a lot of hope for the CD's musical direction. I've loved Dream Theater since the first time I heard "Pull Me Under" way back when, but I have to admit that SC and BCSL took a bit of effort for me to get into. If the rest of the CD matches this, then I suspect I won't have to put in as much effort.

Welcome, and really good first post.  I gotta say I agree with everything you said :)
I think that's more text then what I have written if you'd put all my posts together. And you know, the post was actually good.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #757 on: June 29, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »
6:45. Solitary Shell instrumental section, anyone?

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #758 on: June 29, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
First impressions having been a DT fan since 1989. I'm glad to hear the band sound more organic.  The song doesn't feel so pieced together as the past 5-6 albums have. JP plays a tasteful, reserved solo for once. I feel they've gotten back to the basics again that made DT great. The mix is really good. Mangini is not as high strung as MP seemed to be on the drums. I felt the drums on this grooved with JM and the band more than they have in a long long time. The song seemed to just flow along at times, then the sick progressiveness comes out again and again. Bottom line, I like it!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:17:35 PM by rush-signals »
Thanks,
Dave

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Just listened to the tune with a good pair of headphones.

Even though it's a youtube mix, the drums sound fine to me. Some of these "technical" arguments just seem to be for the sake of having something to complain about.  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #760 on: June 29, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
First impressions having been a DT fan since 1989. I'm glad to hear the band sound more organic.  The song doesn't feel so pieced together as the past 5-6 albums have. JP plays a tasteful, reserved solo for once. I feel they've gotten back to the basics again that made DT great. The mix is really good. Mangini is not as high strung as MP seemed to be on the drums. I felt the drums on this grooved with JM and the band more than they have in a long long time. The song seemed to just flow along at times, then the sick progressivenewww comes out again and again. Bottom line, I like it!

Organic! That's the word I've been looking for about this song. And you raise a good point about what bothered me about a lot of BCSL in particular, the way it felt pieced together rather than flowing naturally. That had been nagging at me and I couldn't put a finger on what it was.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rush-signals

« Reply #761 on: June 29, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Organic! That's the word I've been looking for about this song. And you raise a good point about what bothered me about a lot of BCSL in particular, the way it felt pieced together rather than flowing naturally. That had been nagging at me and I couldn't put a finger on what it was.

It always bugged me to see MP charts of songs. It just seem everything was pasted together. Then using other bands names for sections just rubbed me wrong.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: June 29, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »

Myazaki isn't a troll. Looking at his post history, he's just one of those guys who thought the "Mike Portnoy presents..." version of Dream Theater (i.e., SFAM-BC&SL) was the shit, and thought the sky was falling when Portnoy quit the band. 

It always bugged me to see MP charts of songs. It just seem everything was pasted together. Then using other bands names for sections just rubbed me wrong.

Agreed with everyone in this quote pyramid, 100 percent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #763 on: June 29, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »
Just gave it my first listen, and I can't say how stoked I am about the regression into the more prog sound it seems they are taking.  Though I enjoy the later albums, it was the first albums that I fell in love with.  This DT fan is happy. :biggrin:

Offline rush-signals

« Reply #764 on: June 29, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
It's funny seeing all the praise the song is getting on MP's forum.  :metal Here's a quote from MP's forum that hits the nail on the head when it comes to JLB.

Further thoughts: I fucking love the James' voice on this and was trying to figure out why... then it hit me. He's not trying to be a metal singer! The last few DT albums have had James trying to growl and sneer and be the big mean metal guy and it just doesn't suit him. His vocals and totally righteous on this track. It really does sound like I&W or FII. I absolutely cannot wait for this album!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #765 on: June 29, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
If this song is to ADTOE what AROP was to BCSL, then this album will fucking rock.

Or, if this song is ADTOE's Pull Me Under, then it will fucking rock.

Overall, I liked the song a lot...but I do agree that the vocal melodies are rather plain and forgettable.  

Keys sound awesome....hopefully piano is a recurring theme throughout the whole album.

Bass is finally audible again, which is very relieving because I felt that if JMX didn't make a return on this album then we probably wouldn't ever hear him again.

I hope that not all songs have such a low, ballsy guitar sound though.  It works great on this song, but a whole album of super crunch guitar would be too much for me.

Oh, 8:15-8:20 is ridiculous.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #766 on: June 29, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
Song Sounds Good.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline rush-signals

« Reply #767 on: June 29, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »
Overall, I liked the song a lot...but I do agree that the vocal melodies are rather plain and forgettable.  

Read my post just before yours.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #768 on: June 29, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Well...I really don't know what to think. There were some parts that were REALLY cool (pianobreak for one) but It feels a bit stock to me. Vocal melodies were, as some have said, rather forgettable. It really sucks because I wanna like this song than I do right now. Oh well, I guess it will get better with time :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #769 on: June 29, 2011, 03:40:16 PM »
So far I really like the music, but the drums are pretty damn low in the mix. I hope it's just a youtube thing. Hopefully the CD will have more audible drums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com