Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344503 times)

Offline dongringo

Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #700 on: June 29, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »
Damn I can't wait for a CD version of this. The more I listen, the more I think the mix is far better than the usual. Not too trebly, enough bass, bass drum doesn't sound like a snare (the difference between the snare and bass drum on BC&SL was at times almost nothing)

Agreed. The drums sound better than on BC&SL even on this low quality clip. Also can't wait for the cd.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #701 on: June 29, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »
I'm loving the Octavarium-sounding drums!!  :biggrin:

Offline dongringo

« Reply #702 on: June 29, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
I'm loving the Octavarium-sounding drums!!  :biggrin:

That's what it is. Couldn't put my finger on it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #703 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:08 PM »
I'm still at a loss of words about the album cover. That's gotta be the biggest let-down so far.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #704 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
I love how the octobans sound so DT-ish.  :lol
They did!

I just got to point out though, I just got my set of octobans... those things are hard to play..
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: June 29, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
I'm still at a loss of words about the album cover. That's gotta be the biggest let-down so far.

rumborak

I thought that was the single-cover, not the album cover.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #706 on: June 29, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
It could be either one, we still don't know.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #707 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »
theres some awesome cymbal work that kinda gets lost in the mix (may be youtube)

Offline emtee

« Reply #708 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
Fucking amazing!

LOVE it. Maybe the best DT intro ever. Wow.

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #709 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
There is huuuge interest in this. 2600 comments on youtube generated in 3.40 hrs.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #710 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
Finally decided to come out of lurking mode to give my thoughts on the song:

First time through, I was mainly in "oh wow, new Dream Theater!" mode, so I can't really give my initial impression other than that. My second listen through is where the WOW began. That huge moment when the heaviness hits and the choir swells, the epic piano solo, Petrucci tearing it up, Myung quite audible in the mix, Mangini proving he deserves the job from the first tom rolls-so much goodness. I too get the sense that it's a LaBrie lyric, it just feels like something he'd write, so I imagine I'm way off because I suck at predicting things like that.

An interesting thing I've noticed: when people compare it to earlier Dream Theater, you get a bit of a variance of opinon in which era it actually sounds like. To me, it felt a bit like I&W meeting Awake, others say SFAM or FII, others yet say 6DOIT. Which suggests to me that it sounds like, well, Dream Theater. It doesn't sound like Dream Theater sounding like Metallica or Muse or what have you-it sounds like Dream Theater. That gives me a lot of hope for the CD's musical direction. I've loved Dream Theater since the first time I heard "Pull Me Under" way back when, but I have to admit that SC and BCSL took a bit of effort for me to get into. If the rest of the CD matches this, then I suspect I won't have to put in as much effort.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
It could be either one, we still don't know.

How could it be either one? It says "A Dramatic Turn of Events"

if it was the single cover it'd have the name of the single on it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #712 on: June 29, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
I really dug the song but I've already kind of forgot about it. I loved the Images and Words/Octavarium sound overall, though. Hearing Myung and Rudess using a real piano are two huge pluses.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #713 on: June 29, 2011, 12:47:15 PM »
thats gotta be the album cover, but it's not that bad. i like it. but in the end it does not matter

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
Love the song, and for those saying it could be shorter, I think this is the short version.  I could imagine that the DT of the past few albums would have added a several minute instrumental section as opposed to a succinct section for JP and JR. 

Also, does anyone else see the similarity between the intros of this song and "The Lady Wore Black" by Queensryche?

Offline unklejman

« Reply #715 on: June 29, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
I find the song to be not the catchiest thing they have ever done. But it is one thing that has been missing for a decade or so... tasteful. The song flows well, and nothing stands out as annoying or out of place.  And it is leagues better than AROP or CM, which makes me hopeful for this album.

People saying that the mix is off because of youtube... I don't think your right about that. Yes, there is some compression involved, but never in my time as handling new media professionally, has compression actually changed the relative volume to instruments in music. I've uploaded my own work to youtube, and the audio is never changed all that much. Maybe when the compression is really heavy, the cymbals might get a little gurgley, and the snare a little fluffy, but never changed the volume level in relation to everything else.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. And I don't like that snare sound much, especially the reverb added to it.

Also those saying there might be a longer version... why would they make a short version that is 8 minutes long? That makes no sense.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #716 on: June 29, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
Also those saying there might be a longer version... why would they make a short version that is 8 minutes long? That makes no sense.

this. and i hope there isnt a longer version

and everything is good in this version. short and sweet. the 8:45 flies by

Offline darkshot

« Reply #717 on: June 29, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »
Ok it was only a matter of time (lol) before the nugget police started coming out...

I noticed the first few seconds had a similar sound to the birds at the end of Count of Tuscany, although they sound like very muffled or modulated birds.  I know everyone said they were done with continuing each album with the last part of the previous album but to me it sounds like they were still trying to give a slight hint of that...

nuggetz...

Offline TL

« Reply #718 on: June 29, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »
See, with album covers, DT had a lot of foresight, and made sure their first album cover was bad enough that any other cover they ever used could never be the worst.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #719 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
I don't see this as the "Short single version".  I'd bet this is the song length.  Remember how they shortened A Rite Of Passage and the almost 3 minute difference or something close to that time.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:45:08 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »

People saying that the mix is off because of youtube... I don't think your right about that. Yes, there is some compression involved, but never in my time as handling new media professionally, has compression actually changed the relative volume to instruments in music. I've uploaded my own work to youtube, and the audio is never changed all that much. Maybe when the compression is really heavy, the cymbals might get a little gurgley, and the snare a little fluffy, but never changed the volume level in relation to everything else.

I ran it through my stand alone CD recorder, and it sounded great in my car. I put it on my iPod and it sounds fine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #721 on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »
There's very little change this is a shortened version. Shortening to 8:45 makes no sense since it's still way to long for anyone to play on radio or anything.

Thinking about this some more, there are a few things that I really liked about this song:

1) The instrumental section did not feel "forced in" like some others have in recent albums. No abrupt transition in style to accomodate the instrumental section, it flowed very nicely. I enjoyed the shorter, more melodic solos.

2) James' clean (non-metal) vocals were excellent. I've felt the direction lately with harsher vocals did not suit him very well.

3) Excellent mixture of harder, metal elements with the softer, more proggy elements, similar to earlier DT albums.

4) The mix felt less "in your face" than the last couple of albums, which was fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:48:49 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #722 on: June 29, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
The most boring opening song in the DT catalog. Mangini's drumming did nothing for me. Other than the lyrics being less cheesy than usual this song is pretty forgettable. Oh and the mix is not very good either.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #723 on: June 29, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »
Guys, this is the "single", in that it is the first thing released for us to hear. I think the band is done trying to make "actual" singles to try and get some radio airplay. "As I Am", "I Walk Beside You", "Constant Motion", "Forsaken", "A Rite of Passage", and "Wither" all sound like they would fit right in with top 40 radio or modern rock/metal stations. But they got very little airplay with those songs (I heard a CM and Wither on the radio once each on NYC radio stations late at night, so...)

I dont think they're worried about "singles" anymore; I think that was Portnoy's doing anyway.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #724 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
The most boring opening song in the DT catalog.

**cough** New Millennium **cough**

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #725 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
Oh and the mix is not very good either.

This is were I started laughing. Nice troll.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #726 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:48 PM »
Pretty forgettable IMO

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #727 on: June 29, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »
I think that was Portnoy's doing anyway.
I don't know about that, but it's nice to hear a sing where they're not really trying for a radio single. It definitely plays to their strengths better.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #728 on: June 29, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »

lol no
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #729 on: June 29, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

I'm guessing you prefer the recent more riff based and metal oriented DT rather than the classical DT (more melodical and more awesome DT)?

Offline Sparta-ll

« Reply #730 on: June 29, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »
I've listened On The Backs of Angels three times today and I think it a great song.

I love the Pink Floydish-intro (It reminds me of the guitars in the end of "Is There Anybody Out There")

LaBrie does a great job with the vocals, Jordan's parts fit perfectly in the song and Mangini's sounds like he's been playing with the rest of the guys for years.

The best thing in "On The Backs of Angels" is that it sounds like it's played by a band (not 5 individuals).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #731 on: June 29, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
The most boring opening song in the DT catalog. Mangini's drumming did nothing for me. Other than the lyrics being less cheesy than usual this song is pretty forgettable. Oh and the mix is not very good either.

Mangini's playing did nothing for you? WUT?!

Come on now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #732 on: June 29, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
It was pretty standard for DT. I'm sure the album has some wow moments though.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #733 on: June 29, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »

lol no

oh come on. As I Am? All their other album openers get you pumped.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #734 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »

New Millennium has an awesome style and groove that DT has never captured before or since.