Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647205 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6930 on: May 09, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
I guess what I don't understand is what did you all expect? We all knew the last season was 6 episodes and would be the last season. So everyone knew that this season would be the climax. Plus, we're through 4 episodes and only 1 has been focused on battles and dragons. And looking back, the vast majority of the show (pre and post book material) has been character/plot focused, not battles. I anticipated that this season would be similar to Return of the King or basically like one big movie.

Well, I expected that since they told they knew they needed 13 episodes to end the story, those episodes would have been properly paced and with everything in there needed to go on, but at times it's too slow (one entire, for lack of a better term, "bottle episode" before the battle) and at time too fast (Dany being pushed over the edge in one single episode).

Speaking of that...

Any one is shocked at the potential Danny turning crazy has not been paying attention for the majority of the show. They have subtlety been alluding to that possibility for years.

How? this is not an antagonizing question, but a genuine one to have some fun discussion about it.

Looking back all I can see is, let's see...
- She realizes she has a damn dragon and starts to use it to take down slavers
- She uses them to end the slavers menace for good and then sails to Westeros
- She acts a bit cold and bitchy the moment she sets foot on Dragonstone. But, to be fair, let's quote Tyrion talking to Jon: "You come here talking about White Walkers and demand her to fight an unseen and mythical enemy. It's too much".
- She reacts to a defeat in war by inflicting a defeat at the Lannister forces, offers a choice to Tarly sr. and son, and when they refuse, she execute them. Yes, harsh and unnecessary. Bad mistake on her part. But not done out of cruelty.
- Accepts the idea to know burn King's Landing to the ground, goes north to fight the "real war", burns down a megaton of wights with her dragon and people cheer more for the girl that got a lucky shot at the Night King
- She finds out her life is a lie - she has not a birthright to the Iron Throne. The guy she's in love with is, the guy adored by all his people is.
- She's irrationally impatient in wanting to attack immediately Cersei. Big mistake, sure.

This is enough for Varys to say "screw her"? when she still follows his and Tyrion's suggestions?

One thing is to ask the USA to not drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Another one is to assume that once Hiroshima is bombed, they will nuke all of Japan and the russians and the english if they make a joke about the tea party and everyone else who doesn't sing the Star Spangled Banner.

Again, not presenting these as facts, just the way I see it. I'm more than open to change my mind and being brought aboard the "Come on, the signs of Dany snapping were many and plenty and evident", that way I won't be too sad at seeing one of my favorite characters losing it all  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6931 on: May 09, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »
What I expected was some corners to be cut. What I did not expect was sloppiness and careless explanations for the Dany-Rhaegal-Euron scene such as, "she forgot." It's inexcusable. I can deal with some faults, hell I defended the Winterfell battle episode to a great extent, but that is just some infuriatingly lazy writing there, which I'll finally agree with Adami on (since I criticized the use of those words back in episode 3). Lazy writing, plain and simple.

I really wish D&D had just let somebody else take over for a couple full seasons instead of hamstringing the logic the entire show had used so well up until season 7.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6932 on: May 09, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
I really wish D&D had just let somebody else take over for a couple full seasons instead of hamstringing the logic the entire show had used so well up until season 7.

Yep. A Fresh set of eyes to close this show out would have done wonders. Could have kept it in house and just passed the torch to a couple of the directors who'd been around a while. In my mind......and this strictly speculation drawn from their numerous comments and interviews.....they were basically 'over' the show and ready to move on to other things. They had/have other offers coming in like the future Star Wars films and they've been linked to other TV shows and what not....they're attention and time was divided and sadly as has been mentioned.....I think GOT has suffered a bit for it.

Again....still love the show.....but, there's no denying the difference in it when comparing say the first three seasons to the last three.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6933 on: May 09, 2019, 01:00:40 PM »
I dont understand the idea that the final season doesn't need character build and story development  ???

I think it definitely needs this, not just for closure but to continue to have viewer interest.  Without any of that, they could have ended the series much sooner, but there is still story to be told for many of the characters. 

Look at Jaime, he appeared to have turned the corner to be a good guy by coming to Winterfell and yet he ran off for his love of Cersei.  There's still more to this character and things like that keep the show interesting instead of him just living happily ever after with Brienne.  He has unfinished business.

And for Dany, if she didn't have her "is she going to break?" moment we are in now, I think we would all be really bored with her story.  It would be too straight forward, you need the nuances in any story and you especially need them for this story, now.

I do think the show kind of dumped some of the nuances in favor of the fan fiction of many scenes before the battle of winterfell.  I think thats what turned me off so much from episode 2.   They had all these scenes together and it was all jsut a rehash or a throw away to the fans, but none of it was making the characters more interesting.  They did much more of that in episode 4, Arya dumping Gendry, Sansa going behind Jons back, Varys plotting against Dany.  That's the stuff that made this show so good. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6934 on: May 09, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
Look at Jaime, he appeared to have turned the corner to be a good guy by coming to Winterfell and yet he ran off for his love of Cersei. 

I didn't get the feeling he ran off because he missed her and wanted to be with her. I get the feeling after he heard that Dany lost another Dragon and that the 'tide' of the war was turning....he feared that Cersi might actually win....and knows he's the only one that can get close enough to her to kill her or take her out. I never once got the sense that he was running back to her arms. I got the sense he was leaving to remove her from power.

Bran had just told him that she wanted him dead. Jamie saw what she'd become as he left Kingslanding. The 'I'm hateful' speech he gave Brianne was designed in a way for her not to chase after him so she'd be safe....not because he indeed didn't love her.....it' was because he loves her.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6935 on: May 09, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
Oh totally Gary, that's kind of my point though.  In that, they put a character driven story here and they portrayed it as he was leaving Brienne for Cersei, but I think we all feel there is more to that.  That, to me, is a great example of building character and still doing so in the final season.  While we all think he's likely going to kill Cersei, there is that doubt that maybe he still does love her because we have seasons of backstory between those two.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6936 on: May 09, 2019, 01:42:40 PM »
What I expected was some corners to be cut. What I did not expect was sloppiness and careless explanations for the Dany-Rhaegal-Euron scene such as, "she forgot."
This and some other quotes from "Inside the Episode" often get floated as being flaws of the season, I think it's important to point out that that is not actually a part of the show. It's clear in the episode that the characters did not literally forget about the Iron Fleet, they mentioned it I think twice in the war table scene in Winterfell. The logistics of the ambush scene may be poor but including things that are external to the show as part of your criticism of a scene or episode seems as sloppy as.... as sloppy as D&D's writing, amirite?  She for whavever reason wasn't expecting them to attack at that exact place and moment and somehow didn't see them before they fired at Rhaegal - there are problems enough with that, but there's nothing in the episode that tries to portray that she or anyone else literally forgot about the Iron Fleet.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6937 on: May 09, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
What I expected was some corners to be cut. What I did not expect was sloppiness and careless explanations for the Dany-Rhaegal-Euron scene such as, "she forgot."
This and some other quotes from "Inside the Episode" often get floated as being flaws of the season, I think it's important to point out that that is not actually a part of the show. It's clear in the episode that the characters did not literally forget about the Iron Fleet, they mentioned it I think twice in the war table scene in Winterfell. The logistics of the ambush scene may be poor but including things that are external to the show as part of your criticism of a scene or episode seems as sloppy as.... as sloppy as D&D's writing, amirite?  She for whavever reason wasn't expecting them to attack at that exact place and moment and somehow didn't see them before they fired at Rhaegal - there are problems enough with that, but there's nothing in the episode that tries to portray that she or anyone else literally forgot about the Iron Fleet.

But they wrote the episode, and literally said afterwards that Dany forgot about it. Which is it, and which do you take as gospel when they're both from the writers, who are also the showrunners?

Again, she was looking directly in the direction the bolts were coming from when they hit Rhaegal. HOW did she not see the ships prior to that? Euron isn't firing curveballs from behind mountains here.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6938 on: May 09, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
I honestly hope David didn't mean it like "She forgot", but he just accidentally put it like that. Maybe he wanted to say "She oversaw the possibility of the Fleet ambushing her."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6939 on: May 09, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »
- She reacts to a defeat in war by inflicting a defeat at the Lannister forces, offers a choice to Tarly sr. and son, and when they refuse, she execute them. Yes, harsh and unnecessary. Bad mistake on her part. But not done out of cruelty.
I'm of the position that Daenerys has always (or at least since her arrival in Meereen) had instances that suggest a "mad queen" potential (here referring to tyrannical, merciless and being too quick or fond of burning people, rather than literally being insane - the "mad" epiphet is mainly just because of parallels to her father's fondness for burning people). Throughout the seasons I was a little confused about where the show was going to go with it, because it didn't seem like it would work if it wasn't building to something like this. It's normally clear in a TV show whether the audience is intended to agree with or sympathise with an act, even if you could think about it and disagree with it independently, normally you can tell whether the portrayal was meant to be sympathetic or not. And it really seemed to me that the show was building in these instances of Daenerys doing things that were clearly problematic or at least showed potential of building up to being problematic down the road (and here I'm not talking about the morality of events in universe, but how they are portrayed to the viewer). And there was usually some sort of conversation afterwards that reflected on it a bit, but to me it always felt quite inconclusive whether we were supposed to see it as maybe a mistake that she had learned from or not - so I was confused about whether the show intended that those incidents were firmly behind her (as they didn't feel like it, but it could obviously have been a poor portrayal of that), or if they were indicative of something that could cause future conflicts.

The execution of the Tarlys was by far the most prominent example, I think your quick description has minimized the impact and significance of what happened and particularly how.

We're dealing with a fictional world here so obviously their standards and morals are not the same, but within the world of Westeros, executing someone by burning them alive is considered more heinous than other forms of execution. We saw Jon Snow execute someone by shooting specifically to spare him the suffering of being burned alive. The other burnings conducted by Melisandre and Stannis were similarly treated as more problematic than simple executions. So burning prisoners alive will be looked on differently than "cleaner" executions. And I'm not making the argument about the technical level of suffering caused by each of these executions in reality, only how these acts seem to be percieved in Westeros.

Also, while burning people alive doesn't seem to be looked on too fondly in general, in Daenerys' case it specifically links back to Aerys. Burning a high lord alive was what started the rebellion. And Aerys increase the frequency of his burnings as he got worse (culminating of course in "burn them all!", though that part is not widely known in Westeros). So her specifically returning to Westeros and then immediately burning people alive will set off alarms for many - and that's regardless of how justified the executions are. That's something she should have known, and the fact that she decided to burn a Lord and his heir despite the fact that she had every way of knowing the obvious problems that would pose should cause concerns. Because either she was somehow oblivious to it, or she was so keen to burn people that she proceeded with it despite the obvious problems.

So why did she want to burn them? I've seen comparison made to killing enemies that refuse to surrender, but it's important to note that wasn't the case here. Randyll and Dickon weren't still fighting so they had already surrendered. The choice that she offered them was to "bend the knee and join her" or die, which is not simply a matter of surrendering. Tarly obviously refused, but he was still her prisoner. There was no particular need to rush the decision of what to do with him - he could have easily have been taken and put in a dungeon or under guard somewhere. She didn't do it because "if putting people in chains becomes an option, many will take it." That statement is strong evidence of her all or nothing approach when it comes to loyalty, the "kneel or burn" attitude that I think is ultimately what will cause problems rather than outright cruelty. Her approach is to make an example of her most prominent prisoner by burning him and his heir alive to demonstrate to others that they face exactly the same choice - burn or kneel.

And there's the matter that it wasn't just Randyll, but Dickon too. Randyll disrespected her by making clear he was going to refuse to acknowledge her as queen. Dickon was simply someone who was present when his father was about to be burned and wanted to stand beside him. Daenerys justified her action with "I gave them a choice. They made it." But the "choice" put to Dickon was hardly a fair one and, importantly, she wasn't forced to present him with that choice or abide by what he said. As their captor it was easily within her power to simply restrain Dickon or have him taken away regardless of his protests. Or she could have taken them both as prisoner (remember, there was no rush to deal with them). Perhaps given an hour or two Randyll might be able to convince his son to bend the knee. Or perhaps Tyrion could convince Randyll to reconsider his "take the black" option as an honourable way out. So the fact that "it was their choice" holds little weight when Daenerys held all the power and could have done things differently - about as much weight as Aerys letting Rickard Stark have a trial by combat, then choosing "fire" as his champion.

That's a lot about a single instance, but I think what happened with the Tarlys was very significant and indicative of the potential problem. I agree that the extent that other characters suddenly increased their concerns about Daenerys in the last episode felt very rushed, but the concerns were there. And the early part of season 8 made clear that Jon's claim was going to be a problem for her, even if he didn't want the throne. That's why I said after episode 3 that I suspected the real reason Cersei still remained with 3 episodes to go wasn't because a battle to dethrone her was so significant, but so that there was a remaining obvious conflict after the Long Night rather than everything being all wrapped up, and the conflict between characters that fought together against the Others would come into the fore during that. I don't know if it will escalate to war, but the direction things are heading makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:24:25 PM by RuRoRul »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6940 on: May 09, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
I honestly hope David didn't mean it like "She forgot", but he just accidentally put it like that. Maybe he wanted to say "She oversaw the possibility of the Fleet ambushing her."

I see it more as a 'forget' like....she was more or less 'home'.....just cruising on Drogon and enjoying some down time after just fighting dead things.....she probably felt safe.

Still....doesn't forgive the fact that the Dragons have been touted as very smart and cunning animals....I'm more frustrated at the fact that 'they' allowed themselves to be ambushed.....not that Dany did. Because no matter what they say those ships would have been in their vision or they'd have sensed them by smell or something.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6941 on: May 09, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »
I think they meant to say "we forgot"  :lol

I think that scene was meant to show them just flying around and having fun, being careless essentially and getting caught for it.  I think that was pretty poor but I think that's what they were trying to show there.  Before the first arrow hit, my immediate thought was "oh cool the Dragons have recovered and are having some fun now... oh shit nvmd" I don't think it really works in reality when you think about ti.... dragons over sea not seeing ships? but I think they just literally didn't think that deeply into it and went with the shock, and I do think the shock part worked.  It's just when you think about it further, it makes little to no sense.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6942 on: May 09, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
I'm of the position that Daenerys has always (or at least since her arrival in Meereen) had instances that suggest a "mad queen" potential (here referring to tyrannical, merciless and being too quick or fond of burning people, rather than literally being insane - the "mad" epiphet is mainly just because of parallels to her father's fondness for burning people). Throughout the seasons I was a little confused about where the show was going to go with it, because it didn't seem like it would work if it wasn't building to something like this. It's normally clear in a TV show whether the audience is intended to agree with or sympathise with an act, even if you could think about it and disagree with it independently, normally you can tell whether the portrayal was meant to be sympathetic or not. And it really seemed to me that the show was building in these instances of Daenerys doing things that were clearly problematic or at least showed potential of building up to being problematic down the road (and here I'm not talking about the morality of events in universe, but how they are portrayed to the viewer). And there was usually some sort of conversation afterwards that reflected on it a bit, but to me it always felt quite inconclusive whether we were supposed to see it as maybe a mistake that she had learned from or  - so I was confused about whether the show intended that those incidents were firmly behind her (as they didn't feel like it, but it could obviously have been a poor portrayal of that), or if they were indicative of something that could cause future conflicts.

The execution of the Tarlys was by far the most prominence example, I think your quick description has minimized the impact and significance of what happened and particularly how.

We're dealing with a fictional world here so obviously their standards and morals are not the same, but within the world of Westeros, executing someone by burning them alive is considered more heinous than other forms of execution. We saw Jon Snow execute someone by shooting specifically to spare him the suffering of being burned alive. The other burnings conducted by Melisandre and Stannis were similarly treated as more problematic than simple executions. So burning prisoners alive will be looked on differently than "cleaner" executions. And I'm not making the argument about the technical level of suffering caused by each of these executions in reality, only how these acts seem to be percieved in Westeros.

Also, while burning people alive doesn't seem to be looked on too fondly in general, in Daenerys' case it specifically links back to Aerys. Burning a high lord alive was what started the rebellion. And Aerys increase the frequency of his burnings as he got worse (culminating of course in "burn them all!", though that part is not widely known in Westeros). So her specifically returning to Westeros and then immediately burning people alive will set off alarms for many - and that's regardless of how justified the executions are. That's something she should have known, and the fact that she decided to burn a Lord and his heir despite the fact that she had every way of knowing the obvious problems that would pose should cause concerns. Because either she was somehow oblivious to it, or she was so keen to burn people that she proceeded with it despite the obvious problems.

So why did she want to burn them? I've seen comparison made to killing enemies that refuse to surrender, but it's important to note that wasn't the case here. Randyll and Dickon weren't still fighting so they had already surrendered. The choice that she offered them was to "bend the knee and join her" or die, which is not simply a matter of surrendering. Tarly obviously refused, but he was still her prisoner. There was no particular need to rush the decision of what to do with him - he could have easily have been taken and put in a dungeon or under guard somewhere. She didn't do it because "if putting people in chains becomes an option, many will take it." That statement is strong evidence of her all or nothing approach when it comes to loyalty, the "kneel or burn" attitude that I think is ultimately what will cause problems rather than outright cruelty. Her approach is to make an example of her most prominent prisoner by burning him and his heir alive to demonstrate to others that they face exactly the same choice - burn or kneel.

And there's the matter that it wasn't just Randyll, but Dickon too. Randyll disrespected her by making clear he was going to refuse to acknowledge her as queen. Dickon was simply someone who was present when his father was about to be burned and wanted to stand beside him. Daenerys justified her action with "I gave them a choice. They made it." But the "choice" put to Dickon was hardly a fair one and, importantly, she wasn't forced to present him with that choice or abide by what he said. As their captor it was easily within her power to simply restrain Dickon or have him taken away regardless of his protests. Or she could have taken them both as prisoner (remember, there was no rush to deal with them). Perhaps given an hour or two Randyll might be able to convince his son to bend the knee. Or perhaps Tyrion could convince Randyll to reconsider his "take the black" option as an honourable way out. So the fact that "it was their choice" holds little weight when Daenerys held all the power and could have done things differently - about as much weight as Aerys letting Rickard Stark have a trial by combat, then choosing "fire" as his champion.

That's a lot about a single instance, but I think what happened with the Tarlys was very significant and indicative of the potential problem. I agree that the extent that other characters suddenly increased their concerns about Daenerys in the last episode felt very rushed, but the concerns were there. And the early part of season 8 made clear that Jon's claim was going to be a problem for her, even if he didn't want the throne. That's why I said after episode 3 that I suspected the real reason Cersei still remained with 3 episodes to go wasn't because a battle to dethrone her was so significant, but so that there was a remaining obvious conflict after the Long Night rather than everything being all wrapped up, and the conflict between characters that fought together against the Others would come into the fore during that. I don't know if it will escalate to war, but the direction things are heading makes sense.

BOOM!!! great post..... :clap:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6943 on: May 09, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »
I think they meant to say "we forgot"  :lol

I think that scene was meant to show them just flying around and having fun, being careless essentially and getting caught for it.  I think that was pretty poor but I think that's what they were trying to show there.  Before the first arrow hit, my immediate thought was "oh cool the Dragons have recovered and are having some fun now... oh shit nvmd" I don't think it really works in reality when you think about ti.... dragons over sea not seeing ships? but I think they just literally didn't think that deeply into it and went with the shock, and I do think the shock part worked.  It's just when you think about it further, it makes little to no sense.

When re-watching I get bugged by the fact that they are literally there. Like, there was no reason to 'take a left' in the sky.....Dragonstone was right in front of them....go land and rest. For whatever reason the Dany and the dragons pass up Dragonstone....hook a left in the sky and then get shot down. Honestly, I've been just fine with this entire season outside of this scene. It's the one that bugs me the most.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6944 on: May 09, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
That's a lot about a single instance, but I think what happened with the Tarlys was very significant and indicative of the potential problem. I agree that the extent that other characters suddenly increased their concerns about Daenerys in the last episode felt very rushed, but the concerns were there. And the early part of season 8 made clear that Jon's claim was going to be a problem for her, even if he didn't want the throne.

Yea, the whole burning of the Tarlys (and it was brought up again early this season) was a huge swing moment for her going down the path of the mad king.  I think the only reason why things seemed a bit rushed with that last episode is because the revaltion about Jon got spread.  That makes her claim invalid and it gives more reason for people to go against her and hence her going further down the mad king rabbit hole.  I don't have any issues with this story telling at all.  Also, I think its still very much possible she does not go Mad King and this is just drama for us to chew on and question as it's been there all along but now it's reaching the boiling point.  To me, this is one area where the show is getting things right so far.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6945 on: May 09, 2019, 02:17:05 PM »

But they wrote the episode, and literally said afterwards that Dany forgot about it. Which is it, and which do you take as gospel when they're both from the writers, who are also the showrunners?

Again, she was looking directly in the direction the bolts were coming from when they hit Rhaegal. HOW did she not see the ships prior to that? Euron isn't firing curveballs from behind mountains here.
Well, I take "as gospel" what was actually shown in the episode when it comes to determining or criticising what happened in the episode. The characters mentioned the Iron Fleet twice during the war table so it was clear that they had not literally forgotten about it.

There is the concept of the death of the author, which is that once a work is out there then the author's intentions don't have to be accepted if they aren't apparent in the work. But I definitely don't think you need to go that far here. The statement "she may have forgotten about them but they hadn't forgotten about her" conveys the different level of focus and attention that the two sides were paying to each other. When it comes to a question of - do I choose to interpret a brief comment from one of the writers extremely literally and accept that the intended interpretation is that Daenerys literally forgot about something which was mentioned earlier, or do I choose to make my best interpretation of the episode as it stands (Daenerys didn't literally forget about the fleet, but was surprised by the ambush - regardless of logistical flaws in the portrayal of the ambush) and think that the writer's comment was somewhat exaggerated, figurative or even just wrong? Then yes, I stick with what was actually in the show rather than putting a lot of stock in a very literal and narrow interpretation of a short comment from the writer.

I mention that the "Inside the Episode" segments are not actually part of the show because I've seen a few cases of people conflating things that come from that with what was actually in the show, and to be honest most times I've seen that happen people seem to be putting an awful lot of significance in a single comment or sentence than I think are actually merited. They normally just seem to be explaining the very basic function of each scene at a surface level - what emotion or information it was supposed to convey. People sometimes seem to extrapolate that into very sweeping arguments about the show that I don't think track very well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:22:48 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6946 on: May 09, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
It still doesn't make sense to me because if she was actually aware of them, then she shouldn't do joyriding two dragons over waters teeming with Greyjoy-Lannister-Golden Company forces. Dragonstone isn't that far from Blackwater Bay and there's only one large island between the two. I dunno, man - none of it really sticks together well to me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6947 on: May 09, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
I'm of the position that Daenerys has always (or at least since her arrival in Meereen) had instances that suggest a "mad queen" potential (here referring to tyrannical, merciless and being too quick or fond of burning people, rather than literally being insane - the "mad" epiphet is mainly just because of parallels to her father's fondness for burning people). Throughout the seasons I was a little confused about where the show was going to go with it, because it didn't seem like it would work if it wasn't building to something like this. It's normally clear in a TV show whether the audience is intended to agree with or sympathise with an act, even if you could think about it and disagree with it independently, normally you can tell whether the portrayal was meant to be sympathetic or not. And it really seemed to me that the show was building in these instances of Daenerys doing things that were clearly problematic or at least showed potential of building up to being problematic down the road (and here I'm not talking about the morality of events in universe, but how they are portrayed to the viewer). And there was usually some sort of conversation afterwards that reflected on it a bit, but to me it always felt quite inconclusive whether we were supposed to see it as maybe a mistake that she had learned from or  - so I was confused about whether the show intended that those incidents were firmly behind her (as they didn't feel like it, but it could obviously have been a poor portrayal of that), or if they were indicative of something that could cause future conflicts.

The execution of the Tarlys was by far the most prominence example, I think your quick description has minimized the impact and significance of what happened and particularly how.

BOOM!!! great post..... :clap:
Indeed, excellent post RuRoRul. Her execution of the Tarlys simply for not bending the knee last season was a big turning point for me and the point at which it became clear that the show was going in this direction with her story arc. Agree with everything you've said about that defining moment.

Also spot on about how they've been setting it up for much longer than that. As I said earlier in the thread, I think it's one of the few story arcs they've done consistently well even (mostly) now. We the viewers sympathise hugely with Dany in the first couple of seasons as she is mis-treated but comes through it stronger and develops a power and a purpose of her own. We root for her as she determines to end slavery and use her power to make things better for people. Because of that, even if we don't agree with it we accept the way she executes the slavers and tightens her rule in the east because of the moral justification she gives and the journey we've been on with her. But season by season she becomes more brutal with her approach, more set on power and more willing to let innocents suffer in pursuit of that power (although she is able to be talked out of it by Tyrion, Varys and others). I and many others clearly saw the Tarlys execution as the watershed moment. Evidently others didn't and are still rooting for her. But it's been a continuous story arc and the natural culmination of it is for her to snap.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6948 on: May 09, 2019, 02:59:43 PM »
Again, not presenting these as facts, just the way I see it. I'm more than open to change my mind and being brought aboard the "Come on, the signs of Dany snapping were many and plenty and evident", that way I won't be too sad at seeing one of my favorite characters losing it all  :D
The pacing just fucks it up for me, when I see how they handled everything else. After the "OMG, IS SHE GOING INSANE" episode cliffhanger, they can go one of two ways and you're bored with both. You know they're either gonna play it straight - after a whole ep of her advisors going IS SHE CRAZY before she even does something weird, she will go crazy - or D and D are gonna sit in the post episode credits and say "haha, gotcha! we made the whole world scream that Dany might go crazy to fool you, the viewer!" and there's gonna be no in show consequences whatsoever.

You gotta think about what the hell Tyrion and Varys have been planning this whole time. So far, signs of craziness in her have included her saying "hm I should use my dragons maybe" and then listening to them when they say she shouldn't. That's been going on since they met. After the first time, I would have thought "hm, what if she doesn't listen next time?" What would have happened if Jon wasn't revealed? They clearly don't like the idea of an overpowered ruler upholding a sort of a Pax Targaryen by having three dragons she can threaten unruly vassals with (which worked fine for Targaryens until like Dany's dad) - so why was that the option they were backing? Is it just the showrunners making them seem shortsighted again? Should I invent fanfic in my head that says Varys knew about Jon and just wanted to back someone who could take Cersei down? In the books Varys backs (book-only character) so... who can say.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6949 on: May 09, 2019, 03:32:01 PM »
Indeed, great post RuRoRul! I didn't really mean to downplay Dany's screwup, it was just a point in the "list of things that point out to her snapping".

Also we had a scene with Tyrion and Varys discussing that, and Varys basically said "Listen, she screwed up this one. You're here to prevent her from screwing up again". Tyrion himself said to Cersei that Dany chose an advisor who check her worst impluses rather than feeding them.

Dany burning the Tarlys would have been a great moment for Varys to bring up exactly what you said so well - "What if this her modus operandi from now on? how people of Westeros will react to the daughter of the Mad King burning her enemies?", but unless I'm wrong, the conversation was just "Dude, don't let her screw up again, that's your job". Then Varys throws her under the bus the moment she wants to attack King's Landing but listens to their advice anyway?

Also, the irony: Jon wanted to oust the Boltons because there had to be a united North to prepare for the White Walkers. If Dany went to the Red Keep, tore it open with three dragons, installed herself as new Queen and rallied the entire Westeros to the threat of the White Walkers, she'd have united the whole Seven Kingdoms - and the preparations would have went so well because the Night King would be on the other side of the Wall thinking "how the hell am I going to get through this" 'cause he wouldn't have had a dragon.

Ah, indisight is 20-20 I guess.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6950 on: May 09, 2019, 03:58:30 PM »
Also, the irony: Jon wanted to oust the Boltons because there had to be a united North to prepare for the White Walkers. If Dany went to the Red Keep, tore it open with three dragons, installed herself as new Queen and rallied the entire Westeros to the threat of the White Walkers, she'd have united the whole Seven Kingdoms - and the preparations would have went so well because the Night King would be on the other side of the Wall thinking "how the hell am I going to get through this" 'cause he wouldn't have had a dragon.
Something like that could have been very narratively compelling. We viewers would be torn between our dislike of her approach and our support for the outcome she was trying to get from it. Sadly that's not what's happening. Even *if* there is a twist in the mysticism side of the show still to come, as far as Dany is concerned the threat is over and her battle now is only about her power and nothing else.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6951 on: May 09, 2019, 04:14:18 PM »
I remember reading many years ago that GRRM had given the show runners the fate of all of the characters as he planned it for the ending of the books. I'm curious how many plot points he provided them and how much input he's having on the plot at this point.

I think one of the huge reasons that show has accelerated post-book adaptation, is that GRRM isn't there to write in unnecessary side plots and characters. Looking back at the books and early TV seasons, there are characters that we follow for a while that don't end up being important at all, side plots that amount to nothing in the grand scope of the overarching plot, and tons of filler really. That doesn't mean they weren't entertaining and fun to read/watch, but they've obviously focused on the central plot for the last two seasons. And as that central plot narrowed in focus to two and now one location, the show is definitely going to feel like it's going faster. Despite that, I agree that another couple of episodes to slow things down a bit would be welcome.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6952 on: May 09, 2019, 05:28:28 PM »
In regards to Dany and characters behaving differently, sometimes it is hard to exactly pinpoint what feels wrong, people are complex and tiny nuances can make all the difference for being believable or not. This season feels very off to me and many in that regard, regardless of there being some signs/elements of the past that could explain some of the characters behavior. But some good points are made above this post.

At this point, it feels more logical for me for Dany to go all crazy, otherwise the previous episodes won't feel like a natural progression. Unless something major happens where Dany reconsiders her position and how she has been behaving.

Furthermore, in terms of pacing, the first two episodes of this season were slow as fuck. Two hours for build up. Sure, there is a lot of history to cover, but that is a full length film.

I think in many instances the longtime fanbase is thinking more about explaining the plot and the how/why than the writers themselves. I am sure they have a tough job and as showrunners do a lot of different things. But this season thus far reeks like hollywood blockbuster writing where they think of what situations/setpieces they want and write the characters towards it. This in combination with a fast pacing does often not lead to great results, in my opinion.

These "behind the series" pieces kind of sound like poor thought out excuses for rushed/illogical plot points. I have seen writers make some great points or give logical insight to why certain controversial scenes ended up the way they did, but these Game of Thrones post-ep explainations ain't it for me personally. They kind of worsen it, because the fans are doing a better job.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:33:34 PM by ErHaO »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6953 on: May 09, 2019, 05:40:02 PM »
As far as Dany goes. It's not about the destination as much as the path to get there.

If you're at the top of a hill and want to walk down, cool. If you trip and fall down the hill, not as cool. Same destination, very different ways of getting there.

Right now, Dany is falling down the hill when she should be walking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6954 on: May 09, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
If Dany didn't lose the dragon to the nightking, then would they have even been a threat? If so, how much of a threat? Could they have gotten past the wall without the dragon fire?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:59:29 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6955 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:50 PM »

I'm of the position that Daenerys has always (or at least since her arrival in Meereen) had instances that suggest a "mad queen" potential...

Only quoted this part, for the sake of not having a big ass quote again in this thread, but great overall post.  Whether it being burning that witch alive in S1, locking Xaro and Doreah in a sealed vault to slowly suffocate to death, burning Kraznys alive, or killing the Tarlys, Danny has always had that vindictive "I will kill anyone who has done me wrong" side, and from a storytelling perspective, that is a big part of the charm of her character.  You don't survive in the Game of Thrones world being a totally peaceful leader who never unleashes the fury on your enemies. It's just the way it is in that world.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6956 on: May 10, 2019, 01:11:38 AM »
Now that I think of it, no one really asked Dany how in the frozen blue frack the Night King got a dragon. Maybe if Dany would have been the one that needed convincing, rather than Cersei, she could have been the one to bring Jon and company to Eastwatch, and be like "Ok, bring me a wight, I'll wait here on the other side of the wall".

This way you have:
- Gendry being more believable having to run just to Eastwatch to warn Dany herself
- Dany being able to come in at the last minute without having to fly all over a continent
- Dany losing a dragon because SHE didn't want to fully believe Jon. She already was of the mindset of "No way I'm gonna leave Cersei be to fight some icy zombies or whatever fairytales you grew up with", it could have been a hard lesson for her - she concentrated on the game of thrones rather than focusing on the "only war that matters", and it cost her a dragon.
- Sansa would have a more legitimate reason to be pissed at her, "Ok, you came here to help and all, but it's your arrogance in not believing Jon that got the White Walkers through the Wall in the first place".

This of course does not solve the problem of Cersei promising help and then witholding it, but there could have some some workarounds for that.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6957 on: May 10, 2019, 04:37:30 AM »
If Dany didn't lose the dragon to the nightking, then would they have even been a threat? If so, how much of a threat? Could they have gotten past the wall without the dragon fire?
It's hard to say, but it's almost certain in the books the Wall is coming down and Dany is losing a dragon, because GRRM has established two magical items that may or may not have powers to do these things. The Wall-related one might be in the hands of our main characters (so it's possible that the Wall is coming down thanks to their mistake), and the dragon related one is in the hands of a villain, who might use it to bring down the Wall like we've seen in the show. So maybe GRRM told the showrunners he hasn't decided what's happening yet and which item is actually the right one, so they decided to combine them - the main characters' fault, the Dragon brings down the Wall. Which is fine, but the way they combined them kinda makes the main characters look clumsy and naive.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6958 on: May 10, 2019, 06:02:33 AM »
As much as we complain about this season... I still find myself excited as hell every Friday knowing that there's only 2 more days until another episode. According to Tyrion Jon is 2 weeks away from King's Landing so by the time he arrives that much time has passed. I guess Dany's just gonna chill in Dragonstone for 2 weeks...?

Also read that security was tight as hell on episode 6's production/shooting so there's a good chance all those leaks being mentioned are fake. I'm hoping the real ending is still under wraps and that nobody leaked it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6959 on: May 10, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »
I'm hoping the real ending is still under wraps and that nobody leaked it.
Same, man. I also hope that GRRM will come out and say, "well, now that we've all taken the time to see the show's ending, I can confidently say that there will be differences more significant than I thought! Keep reading!"... even if it isn't true. I'd rather have the story unfinished than know I've already seen the main characters' destinations with an unsatisfying journey. I know I'm being a downer on this thread but honestly I expected this season to be at least a 6/10, so it could be at least mildly satisfying to see how all the chess pieces line up, even if all my faves end up dead or worse. This is like a 3/10 so far for me :'( I don't even feel fanserviced because so far they serviced the fans of dragons, Cersei and Arya and that's not really me.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6960 on: May 10, 2019, 08:29:54 AM »
This is like a 3/10 so far for me :'(

Oh  man, really? Bummer. Even with the minor gripes I have with the season I'm still enjoying the heck out of it....i'm at a 7.5/10. I'd imagine that when the season is over and I can binge it all again continuously that may even jump to an 8 or 8.5.

Not that there haven't been flaws....

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6961 on: May 10, 2019, 08:40:17 AM »
I'm hoping the real ending is still under wraps and that nobody leaked it.
Same, man. I also hope that GRRM will come out and say, "well, now that we've all taken the time to see the show's ending, I can confidently say that there will be differences more significant than I thought! Keep reading!"... even if it isn't true. I'd rather have the story unfinished than know I've already seen the main characters' destinations with an unsatisfying journey. I know I'm being a downer on this thread but honestly I expected this season to be at least a 6/10, so it could be at least mildly satisfying to see how all the chess pieces line up, even if all my faves end up dead or worse. This is like a 3/10 so far for me :'( I don't even feel fanserviced because so far they serviced the fans of dragons, Cersei and Arya and that's not really me.

I feel the same, for me they are shitting the bed massively thus far.

I really, really hope GRR Martin gets to finish the books or at least leaves enough material/guidelines for a competent writer to finish it up.

I know GRR gave the series' writers guidelines, but seeing him promote other shows and stating he "doesn't have time to watch Game of Thrones" and not promote the climax to the series based on his own work says enough for me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6962 on: May 10, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
If there's one silver lining to the show slipping in quality, its what just got me reading the books, which I am having a blast with. So at least theres that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6963 on: May 10, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »

I really, really hope GRR Martin gets to finish the books or at least leaves enough material/guidelines for a competent writer to finish it up.

I know GRR gave the series' writers guidelines, but seeing him promote other shows and stating he "doesn't have time to watch Game of Thrones" and not promote the climax to the series based on his own work says enough for me.

To anyone who thinks the show has gone way downhill, Martin should get 100% of the blame, for not finishing the books before now and giving them the material to work with to finish the story in the best way possible.

While I agree that the show isn't as great as it was in the early seasons, it is still really good and I am enjoying it like crazy.  Sure, there are flaws, but I feel that many are picking nits just because the story isn't going how they wanted it to.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6964 on: May 10, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »

To anyone who thinks the show has gone way downhill, Martin should get 100% of the blame, for not finishing the books before now and giving them the material to work with to finish the story in the best way possible.

While I agree that the show isn't as great as it was in the early seasons, it is still really good and I am enjoying it like crazy.  Sure, there are flaws, but I feel that many are picking nits just because the story isn't going how they wanted it to.

Martin should absolutely not get 100% of the blame. No way. Yes, they agreed to do the show under the assumption Martin would have the last 2 books out before they reached that point in the show, but the writing of the last few episodes and the decision to rush the seasons is NOT Martin's fault at all, that's entirely on D&D and the other writers. I'm still enjoying it but I fiercely believe Martin does not deserve the majority of blame for where the show has gone in the last couple seasons.

Speaking of Martin, he said one character has gotten WAY too much screen time in the last couple seasons. I wonder who he's talking about. Could be Tyrion, Varys, maybe even Arya.