Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 213133 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 28
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »
Wow. I'm really out of touch with the WWE. It's been a couple years since I've sat down to watch anything.

I do have one question though... WHEN THE SHIT DID THE ROCK COME BACK!?!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #526 on: February 29, 2012, 01:50:10 AM »
Around this time last year.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #527 on: February 29, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »
The rise of CM Punk might be the thing that makes a Cena heel turn possible, as it seems like Punk has really strong merch sales.

Also, if you think The Rock got the better end of the verbal exchange Monday night, then I don't know what show you were watching :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #528 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »
Also, if you think The Rock got the better end of the verbal exchange Monday night, then I don't know what show you were watching :lol

No, I don't.  Like I said, he seemed VERY flustered after Cena walked out.  Cena's schpeil was very simple, honest and effective.  He made it seem like a total shoot, where Rock's was hard to tell what was a shoot vs worked.

Despite that, Rock still cuts better promo's, and is still more entertaining.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #529 on: February 29, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »
I'd obviously agree that the Rock in general is better at it, he's one of the best guys with a mic the WWE has ever seen. He just didn't bring it Monday night, I almost facepalmed at "Kung Pao bitch". Also, I hate that he's as obsessed with getting stuff to trend on Twitter as WWE is. The whole buildup since last year for this has been pretty weak.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #530 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
I'd obviously agree that the Rock in general is better at it, he's one of the best guys with a mic the WWE has ever seen. He just didn't bring it Monday night, I almost facepalmed at "Kung Pao bitch". Also, I hate that he's as obsessed with getting stuff to trend on Twitter as WWE is. The whole buildup since last year for this has been pretty weak.

This is all part of the work, why else would Cena face the Rock at Wrestlemania other than to get Cena more over/at least respected by the people who dislike him? Rock's been doing a lot of acting since he's worked at the WWE or cut a promo, he wouldn't actually need to write notes on his arm noticeably. If it was simply just to show everyone how great The Rock is then he could very easily just wipe the floor with Cena, take his pay then go back to crappy movies. But it isn't about that, it's about having a strong build up to Wrestlemania's main event which needs to be an even battle where you don't know who's going to win.
Otherwise it would be the most elaborate and time consuming promotion for GI Joe 2 :lol
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #531 on: February 29, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
Yeah, I also think the whole "notes on the wrist of Rock" is a worked. Though Cena just glossing over it and not emphasizing it more was a wasted opportunity to get some heat off of himself.

I was reading this Wrestling Wrap Up IGN does weekly and I completely agree with these two paragraphs:

The Rock, still mega-over with the crowd, even said last night that while Cena was fighting for the guys in the back (which still seems bizarre to me) he was fighting for the people. And, well, the "people" really seemed to like hearing The Rock say that. The Rock actually *deep, shivering breath* gave us credit for being intelligent. And said that it was never anyone's expectation that he would be back full time. And that we all knew what the hell he was doing when he wasn't showing up to RAW. Because we did. And we do. And he emphasized "being entertaining." And so all the stuff Cena was saying about The Rock caring too much about saying silly things like "Kung Pao Pow Bitch" didn't really hold that much weight because The Rock had just spent ten minutes explaining that the crowd stopped loving Cena because he stopped entertaining them. He stopped innovating. He stopped coming up with new things. Something that The Rock never stopped doing.

Many say that the last time Cena was actually entertaining was when he was doing his "Thuganomics" free-styling and he was coming up with new s*** each and every week. But then that got taken away from him. This actually also bleeds into a nice contrast between the stars of the "Attitude Era" and the stars of the '80s. You've got the good guys who never changed and just ran through long-form feuds with heels and weren't clever vs. the ones who worked hard each week to top themselves in the ring and on the mic. The WWE turned Cena into a throwback of the Hogan-era, and while that might work for kids, it was never going to win over the older male fans who had just been through the revolutionary '90s.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #532 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
I used to read the IGN wrapups but I thought they stopped doing them for some reason. Not seen them in the news feeds in months and months :P

And yeah, that hits the nail on the head on my feelings about Cena's persona. In fact the same can be said about Randy Orton. There's no denying their abilities and talent but since they've stopped progressing or doing more to push their character's boundaries they've just become dull and repetitive. They were both far more entertaining when they were allowed to be a bit of a dick some times, Orton in particular. Cena hasn't changed in about 6 years now, and it's got to the point where I either fast forward or go make a sandwich when anything with Cena is on (unless Ryder was involved, but that's mostly because Ryder was the entertaining one). Hopefully that's what this build up and feud is for, so Cena can actually develop for a change and be entertaining to watch.

It was great when they started to develop Orton more when Wade Barrett got more of a push but thanks to both of their injuries (or well hidden wellness policy violations depending on whether you believe that :tup ) that's on hold until they can compete again. The Barrett/Orton feud is one that had the big potential to let Orton be as intense as we know he can be whilst allowing Barrett to come through the ranks, and also getting some great matches out of it.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #533 on: February 29, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
Yeah, when Randy was on his "Legend Killer" gimmick he was awesome!! And fuck yes! A Barrett/Orton feud would be great for those reasons!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #534 on: March 05, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »
The teary eyed "all by myself" Cena promo came off as really lame.

Rock throwing the Cena merch in harbor had me laughing a little bit. It reminded me of when Ausin was throwing Rock's stuff off the bridge and tossed the IC Belt. Of course Austin made it way more interesting but still.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:41:43 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #535 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
The teary eyed "all by myself" Cena promo came off as really lame.

Yes it did.   However, once Rock came in the ring with Cena, he still seemed like a fool.

Offline John94

« Reply #536 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
Maybe it's cause I am not a Rock fan, nor do I have a huge interest in the match, but I thought Cena has had the 1up on Rock the past couple of weeks.

Shawn Michaels refereeing the HIAC match wasn't a surprise, didn't really add much to the match cause it's already the one I want to see.

Great moment seeing Santino win!

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #537 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
Confirmed Wrestlemania 28 card so far:

TWITTERTWITTERTWITTERTWITTER
Cena vs The Rock

WWE Championship Match
CM Punk(c) vs Jericho

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Daniel "Bryan Danielson" Bryan(c) vs Sheamus

Hell In A Cell Match for the Undertaker Streak
HHH vs DAH UNDERTAKAH with HBK as Special guest referee

Intercontinental Title Match
Cody Rhodes(c) vs Big Show

Some Matches that are likely going to happen

Some kind of Teddy long team vs Ace team for the General managerism of blahblahbaa
Kane vs Orton
And Some divas Match

This Wrestlemania is Looking REALLY, REALLY GOOD.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2012, 05:21:30 AM »
There's also apparently a stipulation due to be announced for the Rhodes/Show match. And it's a serious shame that Wade Barrett got injured as badly as that because I think Wrestlemania would've been his big push to some titles. And also a shame that the Money In The Bank match that was planned for Wrestlemania got ditched in favour of it being a separate PPV.

I'm seriously hoping that any Divas match that they add involves real wrestling and not just Kelly Kelly and all the other dancers disguised as wrestlers. Beth Phoenix vs Kharma would be great, but if not anything with either of those two with Natalya, Eve or Tamina would be acceptable.
I'm just waiting for them to announce something like Snooki being in a match. They can't have a completely un-embarrassing card now can they?
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
I've been thinking for a few weeks that Ziggler has a Billy Gunn look going, and last night he went full Bad Ass! Even using the Fameasser as the finish! :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #540 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
I'm so happy my book just arrived.  :D

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
I have that book.  Mine's signed. 

What?  I've never had the chance to brag about that before. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #542 on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »
I have that book.  Mine's signed. 

What?  I've never had the chance to brag about that before.

Was it good? I'm gonna start reading tonight.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: March 21, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
I loved it.  Not something I'd recommend to anyone who wasn't already a fan of wrestling, of course.  But for wrestling fans?  Yeah, it's awesome. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline John94

« Reply #544 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
One of the things I've been into recently is shoot interviews, mostly Jim Cornettes. I bought a few of his Kayfabe Commentary DVDs (Guest Booker - Invasion Angle and the first shoot DVD). I recommend them for fans who are into that side of the business.

Back to WrestleMania, still not too fussed for it. I still want Cena to beat the Rock, although it won't happen. I'm also starting to get a bit fed up of seeing Shawn Michaels on the TV as well for some reasons.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #545 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »
One of the things I've been into recently is shoot interviews, mostly Jim Cornettes. I bought a few of his Kayfabe Commentary DVDs (Guest Booker - Invasion Angle and the first shoot DVD). I recommend them for fans who are into that side of the business.

Back to WrestleMania, still not too fussed for it. I still want Cena to beat the Rock, although it won't happen. I'm also starting to get a bit fed up of seeing Shawn Michaels on the TV as well for some reasons.

I Love shoot interviews especially Cornette. The story behind the scenes is just as interesting if not more interesting than the story in the ring.

If you like shoots then check this one out with Nash and Hall. They talk about early 90's wwf and the formation of NWO. Its awesome.

https://www.justin.tv/frankyknuklz/b/278341055

Offline Ħ

« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
So a friend of mine is buying the PPV and letting me come over. This'll be the first PPV I've experienced, ever. And probably the last, seeing as Taker is probably gone after this WM.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #547 on: March 21, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
Back to WrestleMania, still not too fussed for it. I still want Cena to beat the Rock, although it won't happen.
Actually, I'd be surprise if the Rock wins, he isn't on WWE full time so he really doesn't need the win.

Offline John94

« Reply #548 on: March 22, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Would WWE want to risk there being a riot in Miami if the home boy loses?

Also, I don't believe this is Takers last 'Mania. I think WM30 will be his last. Possibly v. Cena.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #549 on: March 22, 2012, 10:07:56 AM »
Unless there are plans for future Cena/Rock matches, Cena is gonna win.  Having The Rock come back and bury their top guy of the post-Attitude Era would make the current roster look bad.  Not gonna happen. And Rock has shown in the past that he has no problem putting people over.  Rock is gonna lose.

The worry for the WWE is that Cena is still getting booed so much. Reports were out weeks back that they were trying like hell to get people to cheer for Cena again, as they want a 50/50 reaction at WM, but good luck with that.  The storyline with Cena burying Eve for being a slut or whatever was a cheap ploy to try and get Cena cheers. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
Would WWE want to risk there being a riot in Miami if the home boy loses?
Hometown guy losing is common practice in WWE. Also, it's Miami, not THAT rabid a fanbase as say: Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, NY.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #551 on: March 24, 2012, 06:21:52 AM »
If Cena is getting booed anyway, why don't they just turn him heel?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:32 AM »
Exactly.  Have the Rock win (give the fans what they want), and then have Cena turn and go ape-shit on him ala Orndorf.  He can do just what the Rock did after The Scorpion King... 'Screw you fans for turning on me just for being popular'.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #553 on: March 24, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »

Because women and kids still buy his merchandise.

I also think that 'Mania would be a great time to turn Cena. Have the Rock win, and then Cena attacks him from behind and lays him out after the match and cuts a promo about it being bullshit that everyone's cheering for the guy who abandoned them for years and booing the guy who's there night in and night out.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: March 24, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »

Because women and kids still buy his merchandise.

I also think that 'Mania would be a great time to turn Cena. Have the Rock win, and then Cena attacks him from behind and lays him out after the match and cuts a promo about it being bullshit that everyone's cheering for the guy who abandoned them for years and booing the guy who's there night in and night out.

Agreed.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #555 on: March 24, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
Because he's getting booed anyway. Why turn him heel when he's gonna come into WM as a heel anyway?

I'd love for WWE to do it, as it would be a refreshing change to his character, but they won't.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #556 on: March 24, 2012, 12:10:22 PM »
Because he's getting booed anyway. Why turn him heel when he's gonna come into WM as a heel anyway?

I'd love for WWE to do it, as it would be a refreshing change to his character, but they won't.

That's the thing, he's not really a heel. Everyone is just bored of him and booing him because they don't want to see the same crap over and over, not because he's a villain.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #557 on: March 24, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
Agreed, RobD.  Cena is like a walking billboard sometimes.  Recently, he came out during his introduction, looked right at the camera, and then talked about how he and The Rock were facing off at Wrestlemania in however many days it was.  It was comical, like he has to constantly be the biggest self-promoter in the world. 

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:51 AM »
I think the worst bit of it is that you can see that he's bored of being WWE John Cena. It's just plain and simple milking merchandise to kids.

Anyway, Daniel Bryan is just getting better and better every week :lol When his music played when AJ won a match and he starts celebrating on the top rope as if he just won a title match, I can't help but crack up.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline John94

« Reply #559 on: March 27, 2012, 08:38:43 AM »
Ok so, Wrestlemania 28 is about to be ordered. £14.95 - not bad for 4 hours. How much is it in the US? I heard it was $65