Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 436502 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #1330 on: June 01, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
Has anyone ever addressed the misprediction of the Eugenics Wars?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1331 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »
Has anyone ever addressed the misprediction of the Eugenics Wars?
I could be off here, but doesn't First Contact take place int he aftermath of it?

How would it defeat the purpose of a reboot? I mean, the universe still has the same races/people in it. Khan is still alive out there somewhere on the Botany Bay in the reboot universe too.

I mean, I'm thrilled they're leaving it be, but I don't see how it defeats the purpose of a reboot. Unless you mean there's no point of a reboot if you're just going to re-hash old characters. In which case, well I wouldn't care but I'd be fine without any of them too.

I don't mean simply reusing old characters, which is fine in itself. I just mean if they're trying to break out and establish that this is a new Trek franchise, I think it would defeat the purpose to already have to be mining such an iconic and memorable villian from TOS/TWOK (especially on the same respective movie). I think it would come across as desperate, and show a lack of originality, plus you just can't compare to Montalban. It would pale in comparison.
That said, it would all come down to how they executed it, but I just don't think it's in their best interest to be using Khan, of all villians. Taking a different villian from TOS and turning that into something bigger could be a great idea. They could do Harry Mudd for all I care. Just not Khan.

The first thing they said regarding the bad guy, about a year ago was a list of candidates, and Mudd was one of them.  As was Trelaine, who seems like a better fit for that British guy playing the villain.  That's where my money was all along.

Good discussion, and totally agree. But, it wasn't just a problem of the redshirts, but really anybody who got a certain reputation from the onset (redshirts =security, Worf =strength) where they never actually spent any screen time showing them to their strength, but instead only showed how they got defeated in it.

rumborak
I suspect that's almost always the case in any tv show or moive.  You really can't have your villains constantly getting beat up the first time they come across a security guy.  They have to establish some sort of superiority, or else there's not really any story.  That's why cops get killed on TV, and the detectives are the ones to show up and capture them.  It makes sense that the redshirts would be the first to come across them, that's their job.  As I recall, the difference in TNG is that the yellow shirts tend to just use phasers all the time rather than going toe-to-toe against somebody, and in shootouts they often get beaten just the same.  People running amok on the Enterprise D usually manage to stun/kill a few of them and escape anyway.

And one of the things that always intrigued me about Worf was that as chief of security he seemed to get put down fairly often.  How many times do people beam onto the bridge and capture everybody (or Piccard)?  Last week it was a freaking Ferengi!.  Worf shoots and misses and then gets stunned himself.  I seem to recall that happening on a semi-regular basis.

When did they establish that humans lack the ability to do the nerve pinch?

And how the hell does John Luck Pickerd doing the nerve pinch make him godlike?

Spock once mind melded with a computer and a rock. That's fine? But Picard doing a technique that I find no reason for him not to do is pushing the limits?
They never established that they couldn't.  It was more of a running joke.  Still, it hadn't been done by humans before Picard suddenly develops the ability.  While that doesn't make him Godlike, I do think TPTB were trying pretty hard to make him appear such, and that was another instance.  Just my observation.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1332 on: June 01, 2012, 08:36:24 AM »
The first thing they said regarding the bad guy, about a year ago was a list of candidates, and Mudd was one of them.  As was Trelaine, who seems like a better fit for that British guy playing the villain.  That's where my money was all along.

Oh I hope it's not Trelane. I couldn't take him seriously as a bad guy, especially knowing the "twist" in advance.
I'm hoping for a 100% original bad guy, but perhaps something that ties into TOS into a clever way, rather than a character directly taken and just dumped into a movie. I don't even like the look of whats-his-face playing the villian anyway.
I'm actually just as excited for the soundtrack as for the movie at this stage (if not more so). Michael Giacchino really knocked it out of the park with the last one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1333 on: June 01, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
Here were your candidates as of 10/11.

Honestly, Mudd isn't all that terrible a choice.  In his first appearance he was more eccentric than silly.  Remember that he was willing to let them all burn rather than give up a potential payday.  It was his second episode where he was comic relief.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
Here were your candidates as of 10/11.

Honestly, Mudd isn't all that terrible a choice.  In his first appearance he was more eccentric than silly.  Remember that he was willing to let them all burn rather than give up a potential payday.  It was his second episode where he was comic relief.

So is it definitely out of those? I haven't kept up with everything recently, so I don't recall this.
My favourite of those would be option 2. It would fit the few set photos I've seen, and could work well (you know, as long as we don't see a James R Kirk grave stone again :P ).
I'm not seeing it being Mudd, and Trelane would be silly. And I can't even tell what the last one is from judging from that picture.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1335 on: June 01, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
I don't see the new guy as Gary Mitchell.  Doesn't that Cumberbatch guy have hair longer than what a member of the crew would?  He just doesn't look very Starfleet in the pictures we've seen.  As for validity, I wouldn't take anything they've said or released too seriously, but at the time they were making it seem pretty damned official. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: June 01, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »
I don't see the new guy as Gary Mitchell.  Doesn't that Cumberbatch guy have hair longer than what a member of the crew would?  He just doesn't look very Starfleet in the pictures we've seen.  As for validity, I wouldn't take anything they've said or released too seriously, but at the time they were making it seem pretty damned official. 

His hair didn't seem too long to me, although definitely a bit longer than what I would call "short". And now that I think about it, in the leaked set photos, he does have a Starfleet patch on his shirt (entirely black shirt for some reason though).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1337 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
https://www.geekrest.com/2012/02/more-photos-surface-from-set-of-star-trek-sequel/

I don't see any insignia, but it does look like the same shirt the guy behind him is wearing that does have a patch.  Regardless, the Flock of Seagulls haircut does not look very Starfleet. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: June 01, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
Strange, because it's clearly visible in the pic on this page below, but not in the other pics you've linked that seem to show the entire shirt. Maybe it was Photoshopped? But it's clearly Cumberbatch and not the background dude, as proven by the same face scar. And they're wearing the same outfit otherwise (even the same style of shirt), so they're clearly together.

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/first-set-photos-star-trek-sequel-222928738.html

I personally don't think the haircut is a deal breaker here. It's not that much longer, especially if it were neatly gelled. We've only seen it messy during a fight at this stage.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1339 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
Okey-Dokey.  We've now pretty much seen the extent of my give-a-shit about this movie.  My expectation is that it'll suck, so I'm not concerning myself too much with it.  I'll certainly watch the thing when it comes out on DVD, but I'm not expecting to be amused by anything except a few in-jokes. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: June 01, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
So I'm guessing you didn't like the last movie?
I'll definitely be seeing this one as soon as it comes out at the cinema, as I did the last one. I'm still mixed on Trek XI, but I liked it enough to at least give this one a chance right away.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1341 on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure I wrote quite a bit about it a while back, but in a nutshell, I think Abrams sucks.  He's making action movies for the reality TV crowd, who have no attention span and no desire to actually think.  Star Trek should be sci-fi, and good sci-fi is no longer doable in movie format, at least if it's intended to be profitable. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: June 01, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »
The sad part is that it's looking more and more like good scifi isn't even doable in TV format any more, which is where shows like Trek have always been at their best. And big action/scifi movies generally have to be lowest common denominator for outright ticket sales to survive.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1343 on: June 01, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »
Yeah, like I said, the current industry model won't support a good Trek movie. 

What I said a few months ago about it:
Quote from: Me
As for the reboot:  J.J Abrams must die.   I really want to like it more than I do.  I think they could be onto something with it.  The casting was great.  I liked the story and even Captain Nero.  I don't have a problem with the new timeline,  although multiple canons will get confusing after a while.  It was just a horrible mess of story telling.  Abram's entire plan seemed to be throwback references and action sequences.  A lot of the references were actually pretty amusing,  but got stale fairly quickly.  As for the action sequences,  much like plenty of other modern action flicks,  so chaotic that they made no sense whatsoever.  I don't understand why they spend 20 million dollars on a CGI scene that happens so fast you can't even tell who's shooting at what.

And I think that's largely a function of what I dislike most about Abram's style with this.  It's shot to appear like you're in the middle of it.  It's Star Trek for the realty television segment.  Hand held cameras,  shaking all hell over the place,  and multiple lens flairs in every scene,  as if they had no control over the lighting.  I want to see the story unfold, not be a part of it.  It used to be that immersion came from the story,  and good filmmakers knew that their role should be to stay the fuck out the way.  Shame that's no longer the case.

The first thing I did when I finished 2009 was look to see if Abrams was directing the next one.  Sadly,  he is.  Moreover,  I'd bet good money they make it in 3d.  The next step in making the telling of the story more important than the story itself.  Sigh. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1344 on: June 01, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
https://www.geekrest.com/2012/02/more-photos-surface-from-set-of-star-trek-sequel/

I don't see any insignia, but it does look like the same shirt the guy behind him is wearing that does have a patch.  Regardless, the Flock of Seagulls haircut does not look very Starfleet.

Damn. How many times can one recut the same photo?!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1345 on: June 01, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Just wrapped up Second Chances (the one with the duplicate Riker).  That was actually pretty good.  There were some interesting ethical issues which they managed to throw out without getting melodramatic or cheesy. 

According to Memory-Alpha, the writers considered killing off Commander Riker hand having Lt. Riker takeover ops, with Data promoted to XO.  That would have been a pretty ballsy move, and actually fairly interesting.  I always liked Data in leadership roles, and having a completely different Riker would have created some much needed tension.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1346 on: June 01, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »
Just wrapped up Second Chances (the one with the duplicate Riker).  That was actually pretty good.  There were some interesting ethical issues which they managed to throw out without getting melodramatic or cheesy. 

According to Memory-Alpha, the writers considered killing off Commander Riker hand having Lt. Riker takeover ops, with Data promoted to XO.  That would have been a pretty ballsy move, and actually fairly interesting.  I always liked Data in leadership roles, and having a completely different Riker would have created some much needed tension.

Data as XO would have been cool. Any version of Riker at ops would have been awful. And replacing him with essentially a duplicate just would have been a mess. Ballsy yes, but ultimately not a very wise choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1347 on: June 01, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »
It would depend on whether or not Frakes could keep him as a separate character.  Lt. Riker was fairly different than the Commander.  Also, he could have diverged even further from the original as the show went on.  In this case, he would have been mondo-ambitious and fairly bitter.  Both a far cry from W. Riker.  I think it could have been cool. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1348 on: June 01, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
Meh.

What would have been interesting? Lt. Riker, Lore and Shinzon stealing a ship and trying to destroy the Enterprise randomly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1349 on: June 01, 2012, 08:29:06 PM »
I was thinking just now about this excellent Voyager episode where the whole crew was just copies of the actual crew, but they only slowly realize it. That was one hell of an episode.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1350 on: June 01, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
I was thinking just now about this excellent Voyager episode where the whole crew was just copies of the actual crew, but they only slowly realize it. That was one hell of an episode.

rumborak

I talked about that earlier. Easily (in my opinion) the best voyager episode. Hit on every level. And the ending when the real voyager crew shows up and never realize what happened, meaning that everything the copy crew did was lost forever was intense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1351 on: June 01, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
Yeah,  good episode.  The Demon planet episode that set it all up was just terrible, though.  Hated it.  But C:O was fine work (aside from the title which is pretty lame).

Now I have to point out, what is the likelihood that Dr. Crusher could steal a shuttlecraft, get away from the Enterprise, and lock out all of the shuttle systems that might allow them to retrieve it?  And what does it say about the bridge crew?  Where is Worf in all of this?  Isn't it his job to make sure unqualified people don't steal shuttlecraft and fly them into a sun?  I'm not looking to slag on an otherwise decent episode, but sometimes you can't help but to wonder WTF. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1352 on: June 01, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
Dammit. Wrote out a response but the internet broke.

Anywho, lots of episodes of lots of shows have those moments where logic is replaced by the need to serve the plot. TNG, Voyager, DS9, TOS and so forth have done it dozens of times. I quit caring.

If things on Ships ran the way they were supposed to, 95% of the problems that cause episodes wouldn't exist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1353 on: June 01, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
Well, obviously I agree with all of that.  It's the point I made about the redshirts getting beat up all the time.  In this case, though, why not have it happen while Worf is off killing holograms or something?  Or Data?  Just seems like it would have been a good time to have a scrub around to take the fall; much like those aforementioned redshirts.   Michael Dorn seemed to be rather proud of what he added to Worf.  If I'm him, I'm raising that suggestion. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1354 on: June 01, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
OK, here's a random question: I can't think right now of a single Scifi series that had bathrooms. Enterprise had showers, but I can't remember any toilets in any Scifi series.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1355 on: June 01, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »
OK, here's a random question: I can't think right now of a single Scifi series that had bathrooms. Enterprise had showers, but I can't remember any toilets in any Scifi series.

rumborak

Pretty sure the Battlestar remake had everything you'd expect in a ship, including coed showers and bathrooms. Granted you never saw a guy taking a dump, but I'm pretty sure they had bathrooms.

Also pretty sure Firefly had a toilet in it at some point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1356 on: June 01, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »
I'm sure Roddenberry's future-perfect humanity had evolved past the point of such distasteful practices.

When looking for a bridge layout a while back, I recall that according to the technical manual of the Galaxy class, there's a crapper affixed to the bridge.  Two turbo lifts, one ready room, one observation lounge and one can. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1357 on: June 01, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
Don't you people from the 24th century ever pee?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1358 on: June 01, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »
Watching the episode of TOS right now where Kirk, Spock, Bones and a few others start aging rapidly.

So the situation is that they are aging really fast and could essentially die very soon. So what do they do? Do they look for a cure? Meh. Do they take care of business? Meh. They hold a lengthy trial to see if Kirk is okay to command (which he clearly isn't). The hell kind of logic is that Spock?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »

rumborak

I watched that one only last week (Course: Oblivion). I love the episode, especially the futile ending, although the setup from the Demon planet episode is weak.

An entire crew "forgot" they were clones, even though the majority of them were only DNA clones, and shouldn't have had the real crew's memories to begin with, and there was never any mention of cloning the ship, or how they managed to get the anti-matter (could they clone that? Usually that seems to be a hitch in these things), and none of them could breathe regular air, and yet they had no problem surviving on Voyager. Even if they'd changed their environmental settings on the ship, they still wouldn't have been able to survive on the numerous planets they mentioned stopping at, and the Doctor should have noticed the difference even if he wasn't aware they were clones. The idea of a crew of 140 somehow forgetting they were fake simultaneously doesn't work.

But accepting that story contrivance, I really love the episode. It's something very different, it's a great twist on first viewing, and it gets really dark and desperate at the end.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1360 on: June 02, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Watching the episode of TOS right now where Kirk, Spock, Bones and a few others start aging rapidly.

So the situation is that they are aging really fast and could essentially die very soon. So what do they do? Do they look for a cure? Meh. Do they take care of business? Meh. They hold a lengthy trial to see if Kirk is okay to command (which he clearly isn't). The hell kind of logic is that Spock?
Yeah, I recall similar concerns last I saw it.  The problem was that Spock refused to assume command, which would have negated the need for the hearing.  I also recall that the subplot of Kirk's old girlfriend on board seemed tacked on.  Still, none of that really matters.  The entire point of the exercise was just to create the conclusion where Kirk takes control and saves the ship by being a badass. 

His ability to bluff anybody is my second favorite Kirk attribute.  First is his ability to talk computers into destroying themselves with logic. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: June 02, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
Speaking of which, I saw Return of the Archons yesterday. It is so tiring to see Kirk just defeat EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER with logic, especially when it's identical every single time. And in this case, he actually didn't have an argument at all. Kirk didn't contradict the computer's programming in any way. He just yelled at the computer until it exploded. It was a really good episode up until then, although half of it was never explained.

If Shatner wasn't so selfish, TOS could have been a really good ensemble show, but instead Kirk just hogged every single bit of dialogue and progress in every episodes, and belittled every other character.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1362 on: June 02, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
Not the way I recall it.  It was quite logical.  The only issue there was that it was Spock with the final nail in the coffin:

LANDRU: Peace, order, and tranquility are maintained. The body lives, but I reserve creativity to me.
SPOCK: Then the body dies. Creativity is necessary for the health of the Body.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: June 02, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Not the way I recall it.  It was quite logical.  The only issue there was that it was Spock with the final nail in the coffin:

LANDRU: Peace, order, and tranquility are maintained. The body lives, but I reserve creativity to me.
SPOCK: Then the body dies. Creativity is necessary for the health of the Body.

Exactly. Kirk didn't contradict the computer's programming. He tried to redefine the parameters of the computer to create his argument, but the computer is already programmed with its parameters defined. It has no reason to accept new ones from Kirk.
It was not a win of logic.

It was also yet another instance of Kirk deciding the fate of an entire society based on his own subjective judgement. TOS's idea of being able to go to town on a society if he doesn't feel like they're progressing is something I find silly and narrow minded. His only valid reason was the fact it was affecting the Enterprise.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1364 on: June 02, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
But the parameters were flawed, which is what Kirk pointed out.  Landru had only one purpose, and it was doing the opposite of that purpose due to a flaw in it's understanding of human nature.  I see no problem with this.
E.F. Benson