Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 436486 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #1190 on: May 19, 2012, 07:14:27 PM »
I just realized that they used Trip as a kinda McCoy of ENT. Likeable but with shitloads of emotional outbursts. It's really interesting how they slowly morphed the thing into an Archer-T'Pol-Tucker triangle, just like Kirk-Spock-McCoy.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1191 on: May 19, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
I just realized that they used Trip as a kinda McCoy of ENT. Likeable but with shitloads of emotional outbursts. It's really interesting how they slowly morphed the thing into an Archer-T'Pol-Tucker triangle, just like Kirk-Spock-McCoy.

rumborak

Slowly? That was their plan from the get-go. They've admitted so. Bakula himself said their original intention was to re-create the Kirk/Spock/McCoy thing but that his crew lacked the chemistry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1192 on: May 19, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
It's funny.  I recently read that's what they were shooting for.  In retrospect it's painfully obvious.  Normal captain, Vulcan science officer and good ole boy best friend of the captain.  What's funny is that they were so terrible at it that nobody ever noticed, despite being such an obvious attempt at it.

And I didn't know they changed theme music.  I thought it was that same horrible song for the whole series (save for ItMD, which was a pretty cool intro). 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1193 on: May 19, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
Well, at least in the beginning it wasn't that clear I thought. Side characters like Hoshi and Travis had much bigger roles, whereas season 3 is almost exclusively for that triangle.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1194 on: May 19, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
It's funny.  I recently read that's what they were shooting for.  In retrospect it's painfully obvious.  Normal captain, Vulcan science officer and good ole boy best friend of the captain.  What's funny is that they were so terrible at it that nobody ever noticed, despite being such an obvious attempt at it.

And I didn't know they changed theme music.  I thought it was that same horrible song for the whole series (save for ItMD, which was a pretty cool intro).

It's the same song, they just added a double time drum beat behind the whole thing to make it more upbeat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1195 on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
The song was a lost cause really. I'm surprised they even tried.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1196 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »

rumborak

I agree. It's also a pretty bad song. Even if they had gone the route of theme song rather than orchestral theme, they could have picked something better and not a 2nd tier attempt for a hit by that chick who that Aerosmith song for Armageddon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1197 on: May 19, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »

rumborak

I agree. It's also a pretty bad song. Even if they had gone the route of theme song rather than orchestral theme, they could have picked something better and not a 2nd tier attempt for a hit by that chick who that Aerosmith song for Armageddon.

She wrote plenty other songs I'm not happy about either.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #1198 on: May 19, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »

rumborak

She wrote plenty other songs I'm not happy about either.

Any other big ones? Those are the only two that come to mind. Of course I haven't looked her up or anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
Look Away - Chicago.  Give me the 70's band any day.

Rhythm of The night -- Debarge  (Gives me the creeps)

Time, Love & Tenderness  -- Michael Bolton

I could go on. :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1200 on: May 20, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
I'm going to say it - I actually like the intro song (S1 and 2, not the 3/4 variant so much). It's cheesy, but it fits the montage well, and ties it much closer to our time, which I think was the point - to show the wonder of exploration and space. Granted, the show didn't live up to that, but I thought the intro worked nicely.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1201 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
To me the intro represented somewhat the fatal flaw of ENT, that it was too American. All ST before had people from all across Earth, whereas almost everybody was from the US in the Enterprise crew. Even the uniforms were clearly made after US uniforms.
And so, the intro drove that point home. Mostly American achievements being shown, with an Americsn-style song behind it.

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: May 20, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »
I actually feel TOS was much worse for being American-centric. There was one episode where Kirk has a massive raging boner for the American constitution as if it was the galactic constant, and then he went on a big rant about it, then hugged the American flag. Ok, I think I made up that last part, but there was an American flag there for some reason, and I have no idea why this planet even had the constitution, or why none of them questioned that it got there somehow. Kirk just went on a 5 minute lecture about it. The episode was pretty good up until that drivel.

I think all Trek has some American bias, as it to be expected from an American made show. ENT was probably second to TOS for that though, so I guess I can somewhat agree.
They actually called it in one episode of ENT. The one where Tucker and the Brit are stuck on the shuttlepod alone for a few days. The British dude asks why everything is so American focused, and Tucker just says that America did everything and is the greatest.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1203 on: May 20, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
I know exactly the TOS episode you mean :lol
To me TOS is a special case because I can't take it too serious anyway. And it also didn't have the international audience that the later shows had, so for them to please their target audience was fine (I guess).

Overall ENT feels less like the beginning of Starfleet, but more like the next steps of the US space program.
It's a shame really, because they could have had a really interesting home-bound story arc how the different human cultures came together.

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: May 20, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »
I agree with you. TOS gets a bit of a pass, because or the era and circumstances. ENT did try to have the usual diversity, but it was mostly good ol' fashioned American boys parading around the galaxy, and of course having Starfleet placed right next to a US landmark has never helped. :lol
I think the reason is because they were linking it more to our present day, and also to TOS, which ends up making it more US oriented than the other series.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1205 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:52 AM »
I see what you're saying, but I think they massively overshot that goal. I was just thinking now, I just started watching the first episode of season 4, and it's the first time (I think) where a non-US civilization gets mentioned (of course Nazis no less, probably another TOS homage). Up to that moment it had been San Fran, Detroit, Montana and Florida.

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Don't worry, I'm not saying they succeeded at it, I can just understand how it ended up that way. As a non-US viewer, I've always been aware of the lack of geographical diversity there.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1207 on: May 20, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »
Time to throw some positivity in this thread.

I really loved the conflict between Reed and that Major whoever guy in Enterprise. The conflict between the Enterprise security crew and the non starfleet military. Really brilliant stuff that ST could have used in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1208 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
Just wrapped up Time's Arrow and that was pretty fucking stupid.  I was actually looking forward to it as I had good memories of it.  The first part was alright, and the premise was excellent.  The second half was just a string of gimmicks, cliche's and Deus ex machina that really wrecked the thing.  Highlights being:

The away team magically attaining perfect clothing, including a policeman's uniform, for a trip they didn't know was coming.
Data riding to the rescue with the carriage.
They can't fire normal photon torpedoes for 60 seconds because of plot necessity, but the phase shift modified ones can be fired immediately. 
Piccard whipping off his fedora like God damn Indiana Jones.
Piccard having the technical no-how to encode a message into Data's severed and non-functional head.
The conversations with Clemens about how wonderful they all are in the future, with Troi in particular, were all just awful. 
Guinan had no qualms about telling Piccard that he had to go on the away mission, but refused to tell Riker how to avoid blowing him to bits.

It just goes on an on.  It's like they had professionals write part one, and then had contest winners from some high school come up with the ending.  Really unfortunate as it should have been a stellar episode.  They put a lot of effort into crafting a great outline.  They just should have put as much effort into it's execution. 

Strangely, I never noticed that the bellhop was Jack London.  Good touch.  Also never noticed that Gul Dukat was the French poker player. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1209 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
I don't know, that episode is one of my favorite TNG episodes. Sure there's some snags, but the plot is just awesome. Clemens was a bit too over the top probably, he looked more of a caricature.

rumborak

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1210 on: May 21, 2012, 07:51:38 AM »
I don't remember all the holes El B pointed out, but I do remember it beings 'meh' overall.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1211 on: May 21, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »
Honestly, most time travel episodes are giant plot-holes and terrible ideas waiting to happen.

Aside from Encounter At Farpoint, Time's Arrow is probably my least favorite TNG two-parter.  It has some good stuff, but is overall pretty meh.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1212 on: May 21, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
Well so much for positivity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1213 on: May 22, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
I watched the 3-episode ENT arc about the Augments. Overall pretty good, and I liked how they tied into both the Khan stuff, and the Data allusion at the end. Still not a big fan of Spiner's acting, but I guess you take what you can get :lol

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
I hated that episode arc so much. The worst fanwanky force the square peg into the round hole episodes ever. Different makeup. End of story. Explaining it in-universe was one of the worst ideas in all of Trek. The Data thing didn't even make much sense. Why would they need to force in that entire thing at all? He just says at the end he's going to get into making robots, so that is supposed to be a clever explanation for why one of his descendants happens to make a robot like 100 years later? Completely unrelated and stupid.

Sorry, but almost nothing in all of Trek pisses me off more than those episodes. Season 4 is full of that kind of thing, and it just feels like bad fan fic. In a Mirror Darkly is the only one that I liked, and even that is still hugely fanwank. S1 and 2 borrowed from previous series, S3 did something original and cool, then for S4 they just said "fuck it, let's just blatantly cram in as much old Trek as we can."

Sorry, I'll stop now. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1215 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
While I'm nowhere near as venomous about it, I largely agree with Blob.  Trying to force in as many later references as possible really reeked of desperation. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1216 on: May 22, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
Hey come on guys, I was trying to inject some positivity here! :lol

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: May 22, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
Well Enterprise was probably the wrong approach then...... :lol
Especially as that's probably the only season of any Trek series I actively despise.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: May 22, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
Hey come on guys, I was trying to inject some positivity here! :lol

rumborak

*computer brain processes sarcasm and laughs out loud*

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1219 on: May 22, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »
Obviously I haven't seen all episodes yet, but it would have been cool had Enterprise bound in not just TOS stories and characters, but TNG and others too. For example, one of the early Dax symbionts would have been cool to have, if only as a small cameo.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1220 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
Obviously I haven't seen all episodes yet, but it would have been cool had Enterprise bound in not just TOS stories and characters, but TNG and others too. For example, one of the early Dax symbionts would have been cool to have, if only as a small cameo.

rumborak

Well they did have the Borg. And yea, an old Dax host would have been very cool. I'm trying to think of other non one off people from TNG, DS9 or Voyager that could have somehow showed up, but am coming up short. Obviously the dominion were around then, but had never been to the Alpha quadrant. However, Sarek should have been alive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1221 on: May 22, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
Yeah, a young Sarek would have been very cool. Maybe even show how he met his human wife.

Another cool being was always that Kevin dude who killed all the Krishniak. Just playing out the plot would have been an awesome episode.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1222 on: May 25, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
One thing I just noticed again is how each of the main races have a specific primary color associated to them. Federation is blue, Klingons red and Romulans green.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1223 on: May 25, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »
One thing I just noticed again is how each of the main races have a specific primary color associated to them. Federation is blue, Klingons red and Romulans green.

rumborak

I got the Romulan green thing, but............what? Klingons red? Federation blue?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1224 on: May 25, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »
The lasers mostly I find. And Klingon bridges are bathed in red a lot I find.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:00:43 PM by rumborak »