Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 175076 times)

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Hobbit greenlit!
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »
I saw the movie a second time today, in 48fps 3D. I now feel like I have to change my original statement a bit.

It was so much better the second time. When walking out after my first viewing I had some slight negative feelings... But after seeing it all again all that is as good as gone. So if anyone saw it once and though it was okay but not more, I actually recomend seeing it again, because it was way better the second time.

And 48fps looked absolutely fine. I cannot understand any of the complaints about it either.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #456 on: December 16, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
Don't go see it in the IMAX. I felt like I was gonna hurl.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #457 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
- The golf joke was funny but it felt out of place. I guess it isn't inconceivable that golf is played in Middle Earth, but ehhhhhh
I thought it was kinda funny since that line is straight out of the book.  :lol

But yeah, it is kinda cheesy, though I thought it worked.

SPOILERS ABOUND! Ye have been warned!

I thought it was a good, but not great movie.  I have two major problems with the film: the CGI and the length.  The CGI, overall, was quite awful and to me, was much more ubiquitous and poorly used than in LotR.  Azog, in particular, looked pretty terrible.  The Misty Mountain goblins were all kind of comically ugly, compared to the Moria goblins in Fellowship, which were much more disgusting, IMO.  It certainly didn't help that there seemed to be a lot more closeups of CGI goblins in Hobbit whereas Fellowship 'filled out the ranks' of actual actors with CGI creations.  The goblin king was pretty cool though.

The length was another issue.  Unlike many of the critics who thought that the first half was the weakest, I loved the first half.  Well, I did think that the Frodo and Bilbo part went on a bit too long, but the unexpected party, the trolls, weathertop, all great.  Even the warg chase was good.  I wasn't very fond of the Radagast scenes, but thankfully they weren't that long and I'm a much bigger fan of how the whole Dol Guldor story unfolds in the books (er in the Appendices at least).

After Rivendell, the movie just seems to be one long, boring chase scene.  The goblin town chase goes on forever and feels like a much less interesting retread of Khazad-Dum from Fellowship without the awesome Balrog scene.  Plus the goblins are fucking pathetic in the Hobbit.  After the first few minutes, there's no tension, it's just like watching a supremely boring video game unfold.  Then we get the Warg Treetop 'climax' which is... okay.  It also kind of drags but, to be honest, I thought that part sucked in the book too and Jackson's changes neither improved nor worsened that scene.  It's a good, logical conclusion for the film, but by then, I was just waiting for the film to end which I think was just a result of the length of the movie plus my general ambivalence about this sequence.  It didn't help that my ass had thoroughly fallen asleep during the Fleeing The Goblin City Quick Time Event (Press X to kill every Goblin on the screen!).

Thankfully, Riddles In The Dark, aka the best part of the movie is pretty self-contained and the scene where Bilbo spares Gollum and returns to the dwarves are perfect.

Other little notes:
- The casting was great.  Freeman as Bilbo was awesome.  Armitage as Thorin was awesome and I really liked Thorin's prideful arrogance. Also, I actually liked Weaving as Elrond in this movie.  I dunno if it was the writing or Weaving but I think he came off much better.

- In fact, while about half of the dwarves do sort of fade into the background, I liked the few that got some screentime.  Overall, I thought the dwarves were well handled, but there is room for improvement.  Some of them, I'm still not sure who is who but that was a problem with the book too so meh.

- Parts of the movie really reminded how some parts of the book are just... shit. In the book, most of the major confrontations end with Gandalf somehow saving the day and while the dwarves in the movie are much less inept, I just wish more had been done to keep each part from ending in a Deus Ex Gandalf.  Or deus ex eagles.

- The Prologue was kinda cool but felt a bit like a lesser man's Fellowship prologue.

- I liked the inclusion of Azog as a villain.  It's too bad he looked like shit.

- The Witch-King cameo was needless, but that plays into the whole fact that I much prefer how the storyline of the Necromancer and Dol Guldor plays out in the books. Obvious bias is obvious.

- The brief glimpse we got of Sauron was neat, OTOH.

- I loved the songs, except for maybe the goblin song.  Gollum's song and the dwarves' song about Erebor were the highlights.

- Gollum was awesome.  Serkis and Freeman delivered.

- The Stone Giant scene was pointless.  It's not as if I didn't enjoy it, but I think that on rewatches it'll be a drag.  Too long and just... silly.

- Apparently Middle Earth is only like 600 miles across seeing as the Dwarves get a pretty good view of Erebor from the Misty Mountains.  It's a cool scene, but it irks me and it bothered me in LotR too.

- I was really, really hoping for a quick glimpse or mention of Durin's Bane in the Dwarf-Goblin War flashback.

So there we go.  A good, but not great movie.  I'm wondering if there will be an Extended version of this because I can't imagine any more getting bolted onto this movie without it sagging and collapsing under its own weight.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
One thing that bugged me a little though, was that Saruman looked a little evil. Maybe we've been teased by Sir Christopher Lee that has played dozens of evil characters in films in his life and his wonderful performance of the crazed and corruped wizard in the LOTR trilogy, but hey...in that time, Saruman is supposed to be pure good and wisdom and I don't know...it's a weird feel, bro. haha

Funny, because I walked out feeling the exact opposite.   

Initially I felt that there was NO WAY that Lee was going to be able to give a performance that made me believe he was "one of the goodies"...there's just too much history there.   It would be like Vincent Price playing Santa Claus...no way it was going to work. 

But Christopher Lee proved me wrong.  I thought he did a really good job of playing the "innocent...yet clinging to ignorance" card really well.  There's been peace for so long...there's NO WAY it would stop now...RIGHT???

I thought his attempt at innocence was impressive.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #459 on: December 16, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

I don't remember this, when was that?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #460 on: December 16, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »

The blurred black humanoid shape Radagast sees in Dol Guldùr after he survives the attack of the Witch King.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #461 on: December 16, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »

The blurred black humanoid shape Radagast sees in Dol Guldùr after he survives the attack of the Witch King.
Yep.

Not how I pictured The Necromancer, but neat nonetheless.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #462 on: December 16, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
I'm so glad they didn't cast Daniel Radcliffe or Tobey Maguire as Bilbo, as both were considered.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #463 on: December 16, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »

Yep.

That was supposed to be Sauron?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: December 16, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »

Indeed. I don't think he could ever gain a true physical shape after that little mishap with Isildur.
- Marco

Offline jammindude

« Reply #465 on: December 16, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »

Indeed. I don't think he could ever gain a true physical shape after that little mishap with Isildur.

I didn't know this either.   But a quick Wiki search confirmed it.  And this is Tolkien's writing...not PJ's invention.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »

I didn't know this either.   But a quick Wiki search confirmed it.  And this is Tolkien's writing...not PJ's invention.

Sauron never actually enjoyed a quiet and eventless life, you know. He lost much of his power creating the ring (the power went from him into the ring), another share of his power and the ability of gathering a pleasant form when he was obliterated together with Numenor, the ability to have a physical body after the last alliance and finally he lost all that was left to him after Frodo and Gollum danced on the volcano.  :lol

Oh, and before all of that, he was defeated and humiliated by a lady elf and her dog.  :rollin

On the other hand, PJ did veer from the books when he filmed Sauron battling Aragorn before the Black Gate in his fair form Annatar (https://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/4/4e/Annatar.jpg). Thank god he decided to scrap the idea and superimpose a regular troll to sauron in post-production!
- Marco

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #467 on: December 16, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

On the other hand, PJ did veer from the books when he filmed Sauron battling Aragorn before the Black Gate in his fair form Annatar (https://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/4/4e/Annatar.jpg). Thank god he decided to scrap the idea and superimpose a regular troll to sauron in post-production!

The nerds would've never forgiven him.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #468 on: December 16, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
a question for people who have seen the movie, particularly overseas.  Im in mexico right now and want to go see the hobbit, and the theater right near me is showing it in english with spanish subtitles.  but my question is, if there is any elfish dialogue in the movie like in lotr, will it only be shown in spanish subtitles? because then im missing potential conversations of the film.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: December 16, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »
I didn't see any problem with Azog.

Great movie.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: December 16, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
I'm watching The Fellowship Of The Ring now and it's amazing to see all the references to The Hobbit during the first 30 minutes of the movie.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #471 on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »
I really should've taken notes after this movie. It's hard enough writing a review purely from memory, but for one that's three hours long, it's been a disaster.

« Reply #472 on: December 16, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »
I'm honestly amazed how film critics are able to judge a film after just one watch.  Well, I assume it's just one viewing.  So many films reveal how good or bad they truly are only after subsequent viewings. 

Or maybe I'm just bad at watching movies?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: December 17, 2012, 02:03:53 AM »
I just saw it again, this time in 48fps/3D.

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE FUSS IS ABOUT. I've heard that the higher frame rate lends to a better 3D effects because it's easier for the eyes to adjust or process or something. In any case, it seemed true. Normally I don't like 3D because when things move quickly, they seem "choppy" to me. It didn't feel like that was the case in The Hobbit. Everything was smooth and detailed. If more movies were filmed at 48 fps, I'd probably be more willing to see them in 3D.

And this is coming from a videophile. I spend at least an hour with every game I get tweaking the settings to get smooth performance and 60 fps. Normally I can accurately guess my frame rate within about 5 fps (up to about 60)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #474 on: December 17, 2012, 02:08:42 AM »
I'm honestly amazed how film critics are able to judge a film after just one watch.  Well, I assume it's just one viewing.  So many films reveal how good or bad they truly are only after subsequent viewings. 

They don't judge their feelings or lasting impression. They critique the film at face value, so they need no further exploration.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #475 on: December 17, 2012, 02:20:47 AM »
I rewatched the movie, this time in 3D/48FPS, and I'm with you guys: I have NO IDEA what people are complaining about. It looked amazing and it didn't even took 1 minute to get used to it.
Also, I've only watched two movies in 3D so far (Avatar and Tangled) but I've gotta say that this was the best use of 3D I've seen. Things didn't jump out all the time for no good reason - it felt like an effect meant to draw you deeper into the story.

I'm still of the opinion that the Gollum encounter is one of the best things about the entire movie. I just love everything about Gollum - his personality, the way he talks and moves, the absolutely stunning animation work...it's just a brilliant character with yet another brilliant scene. It's worth seeing the movie for that scene alone. :tup

The rock giants battle was actually still awesome to watch. While it may not bring the story forward in any way, it's a cool action scene.

Christopher Lee is 90 years old, Ian Holm is 81 and Ian McKellen is 73 years old. That's just mindblowing. I read that neither Lee nor Holm ever went to New Zeeland because of their age, so they recorded every scene they had in a studio.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #476 on: December 17, 2012, 03:06:27 AM »
Christopher Lee is 90 years old, Ian Holm is 81 and Ian McKellen is 73 years old. That's just mindblowing. I read that neither Lee nor Holm ever went to New Zeeland because of their age, so they recorded every scene they had in a studio.
Had no idea Lee was that old....mad respect!  :hefdaddy
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: December 17, 2012, 05:20:51 AM »

We will most certainly get a better look in the next movies as

*SPOILERS*

Gandalf goes to investigate or when the white council drives him out of Dol Guldur.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #478 on: December 17, 2012, 05:31:02 AM »

I don't know about others, but I don't really have much of a choice. By publishing my reviews a week after the movie opens, I'm late to the game as it is. That's not to say I won't see it again, because I promised my girlfriend we would together, but normally it doesn't work out like that.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #479 on: December 17, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »
i wasted 20 bucks on this movie of walking, but mostly running. i doubt i will want to waste 40 more.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: December 17, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »
I think I would have enjoyed this much more if it was released before tLotR. I say that because it felt like I've seen it all before. I felt bored with most of the movie. I don't think it was bad but it was worse than I expected. I saw it in hfr 3d imax. I don't know what the fuss was about. The picture looked very nice but the 3d didn't add much to the movie. I thought avatar was much better in terms of 3d. The picture was very clear, probably clearer than 24fps but to me, the difference wasn't that large. I'm assuming the other movies will be better as there was a lot of story build up with this one which probably lead to its boring ness. It was also nice to see all the returning actors.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: December 17, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
Had no idea Lee was that old....mad respect!  :hefdaddy
He's also releasing a metal album. ;)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
He's also releasing a metal album. ;)
Haha just read that, i knew his work with Rhapsody but a solo metal album.....that even crowns him the oldest gentleman in metal!! He deserves got damnit two horns:  :metal :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY
Dat video!  :lol Anyway, Lee you rock!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:21:05 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #483 on: December 17, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

No, I think you're 100% right. Sometimes the initial viewing of a movie is the best one, but that's usually not the case for three hour epics.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »

No, I think you're 100% right. Sometimes the initial viewing of a movie is the best one, but that's usually not the case for three hour epics.

Very much so. The Hobbit was so much better the second time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #485 on: December 18, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
In the theater now.... :caffeine:

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #486 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
Turn off your phone :police: And enjoy! ;D
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #487 on: December 18, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
Watched it with Jingle.son earlier today.  3D IMAX 48fps.  My eyes felt like they were running a marathon there was so much to take in, and now they feel... exhausted.

I just finished reading The Hobbit, so there are some inconsistencies with the book in and of itself.  I'm not familiar with the appendices or other stories PJ can pull from, but I thought the story flowed perfectly.  Can't wait until the next installment... which we'll be watching in 2D.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #488 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »
Turn off your phone :police: And enjoy! ;D
I did, fucking cool as hell. Seems they were mixing in back story from the Silmarillion to help tie the Hobbit in with LOTR better, kinda liked what they did actually, and am interested to see how they build on a lot of this in the next movie.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »
Awesome movie....  I do regret seeing it in 3D a bit.  I think I would have enjoyed it more in 2D.