Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 175025 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: The Hobbit greenlit!
« Reply #350 on: December 01, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
My wife suggested taking the kids and going to see it on opening day.  A family outing, you know?  I told her she was out of her ****ing mind.  We'll wait until at least the second weekend.

:lol... Yeah, I really want to see it but not sure if I want to brave opening weekend.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #351 on: December 01, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »
I understand the excitement, and I guess the "coolness" factor of seeing it first, but damn if I'm gonna flip for four full-price tickets, not get to sit all together anyways (unless we get there hours ahead of time, which I'm not gonna do) only to have the experience spoiled by stupid kids (and adults) talking through the whole thing, and some asshole kicking the back of my seat.  Not worth it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #352 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »
I can be patient and wait a bit to see it - I don't HAVE to see it opening weekend.  Unless we can get a late night showing for Saturday or Sunday of opening weekend.  Less bratlings. :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #353 on: December 01, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
My friend made a joke asking whether some geek would attack a midnight showing of The Hobbit with a glowing sword. Funny (too soon??), but also (especially being so close to where the Batman thing happened) made me think about whether I really wanted to deal with the chaos.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #354 on: December 01, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
Oh shit, I didn't even THINK about that...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #355 on: December 01, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
Another good reason to avoid opening day, as far as I'm concerned, especially with my kids.

Okay, maybe not good reason, as the odds are pretty slim, but still a reason.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #356 on: December 01, 2012, 05:45:34 PM »
Yeah, I mean chances are it will not happen again, but I guess you never know what kind of fucking crazies could try to copy the idea. That on top of the absolute madness that is opening weekend for a movie like this just makes me think I'll wait a week or so.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
At least, yeah.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
I know the picture by heart.   But on Orbert's signature...that picture from Fragile on the far right...at that size it just looks like Pac Man puking his guts out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
It does! :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #360 on: December 01, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
Cannot be unseen!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #361 on: December 01, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
Just in case anyone is curious as to how Sir Ian McKellen becomes Gandalf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZOrUgt4nys
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #362 on: December 01, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
Oh how I love Gandalf. Definitely one of film's greatest heroes of all time.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #363 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Reviews are starting to come in, with a lot of attention on the 48fps issue.  It is as some of us have feared.

Huffington Post

Q: How does the 48-FPS format differ from most other films?

A: It has twice as many frames per second. This gives it an incredibly clear picture. Which is part of the problem.

Q: Why would a clearer image be a problem?

A: Because, as it turns out, it's possible for an image to look so clear that it no longer looks real. Or so real that it takes you out of the film. As in: that film set looks like ... a film set. Put it this way: the picture is so clear that in one scene I could see Ian McKellen's contact lenses. I won't claim to be a Tolkien expert, but I am pretty sure Acuvue does not exist in Middle Earth.

Q: Did you enjoy watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 48 FPS?

A: Yes and no, for completely different reasons. I'll admit, it was fascinating to watch a movie in 48 FPS because, honestly, I've never seen anything like it. Ever. So, from a technology standpoint, I enjoyed it quite a bit. But! To the extent that I simply wanted to watch a movie and be immersed in another world, it was distracting.

Q: How was it distracting?

A: Granted, this could be related to my own attention-deficit issues, but I was often taken out of the story because I just wanted to look at things. There's a scene that takes place in Rivendell in which Gandalf (McKellen) and Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) are having an important conversation near a waterfall -- but all I could do was stare at the waterfall. It was so pretty. I mean, I could see each and every droplet of water coming out of this waterfall. All I wanted in the world was to drink from this waterfall. Of course, with all of my attention drawn to this waterfall, I missed most of what Gandalf and Galadriel were talking about.

Q: So everything in the film looks beautiful at 48 FPS? This sounds like a good thing.

A: Well, not so fast. Quite a few things don't look great in 48 FPS. Most of the scenes that take place outdoors look fantastic, but indoors it was difficult to stop being conscious of the fact that we were staring at a movie set. And the scenes that were heavy on CGI yielded mixed results.

Q: Speaking of CGI, how does Gollum look in 48 FPS?

A: Absolutely outstanding. The close-ups of Gollum's face were stunning. But, unfortunately, a scene featuring [Show spoiler]Radagast the Brown, on a sled powered by rabbits fleeing an approaching Orc army , looks quite terrible. The screen is so clear, it rendered the CGI in the scene (which was shot from a distance) into something that looked a lot like a game of Duck Hunt.

Q: Is Peter Jackson right that, even if it takes some time to get used to watching a film in 48 frames per second, you eventually do grow accustomed to it?

A: Yes and no. First, never once did I not notice that I was watching a film in a different format. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes this is a bad thing. But the most troubling aspect was that the first 10 minutes of the film looked sped-up.

Q: Sped-up?

A: Have you ever watched old footage of Babe Ruth running the bases back in 1927? Well, imagine that, only with the clearest picture that you've ever seen. After my screening, I talked to other writers who had noticed the same thing. My understanding is that it took our brains a few minutes to adjust to the new format, and this was the resulting sensation. It's really quite a trip -- because it's not like the voices are sped up. And the voices certainly sync with the video, but, still, everything looks fast. Then, after a few minutes, the speed returned to normal.

Q: Will watching more films in 48 FPS alleviate this issue?

A: This was a topic of conversation after the film. It seems natural to assume that our eyes will learn to adjust more quickly as we see more and more films in 48 FPS, but it's possible that it will always resemble the sensation of having a flashlight shined in your face in an otherwise dark room.

Q: Does 48 FPS have a future as a commercially viable format?

A: Maybe? It really depends on the eye thing.

Q: Should I see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in 48 FPS or 24 FPS.

A: Honestly, if you're curious about the technology, see it in 48 FPS -- if only to see something you've never seen before. But if you're just a fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and you want to watch The Hobbit without any distractions, see it in 24 FPS.

Q: Oh, how is The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as a movie?

A: Well, briefly: it's no doubt fun to see these characters again, but the movie isn't quite as good as any of the individual The Lord of the Rings movies. It hits a lot of the same notes as The Fellowship of the Ring (there is a lot of walking from one location to another), and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins is quite great. But aside from Ian McKellen as Gandalf, the supporting characters are less interesting this time around. Still, as a fantasy adventure film, it's certainly entertaining. Put it this way: it felt about 45 minutes shorter than its nearly-three-hour running time -- and, no, that has nothing to do with 10 minutes of that time spent with an illusion of warp speed.

Screencrush.com

If you see this film in the new HFR/48 fps format, you’ll likely break into lively discussion, as well. I’m sure the film’s visual appeal is on a par with Jackson’s other work, but with HFR 3D you’ll be too taken with the strangeness of the new format to compare. Is 48 fps good? It isn’t a case of good or bad. It’s an aesthetic choice, like Michael Mann’s use of video in ‘Public Enemies.’ I never “got used to it.” In fact, I found it a distraction. When Ian Holm was giving his early exposition, I couldn’t hear a word of it, because everything looked so unusual and that’s what held my attention. Here are some things you can expect:

- When people run, they look like they are on the ‘Benny Hill Show.’

- Fire looks weird. This doesn’t matter too much when it is just a burning hearth, but when it is dragonbreath or hurled, flaming weapons, it is a problem. As a result, a moment that should read as triumph ultimately comes across as goofy. It looks so strange and unusual (as do many of the special effects) that it looks somewhat. . .cheap.

- Anything shot in daylight looks like a BBC production from the 1970s. The movement is too smooth. And yet, when the camera moves, too, it looks somewhat jerky.

- You really recognize the cuts between exteriors, effects shots and sets. There’s a scene on a cliff where Storm Giants fight that probably looks terrific in the traditional format. Watching it here all I could think about was “oh, that’s them on a set. Oh, that’s an effects shot. That looks like an actual mountain. Ooh that cut brought us back to the set again.” I’ve watched the similar Misty Mountain sequence in ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ many times and I never once considered our heroes being on a set – I fully suspended my disbelief and thought they were in peril.

People interested in tech should see ‘An Unexpected Journey’ in 48fps (which is being marketing as HFR 3D). People just looking to see a great movie should just see it in 24.

Chicago Tribune

Rozen said the film's look was "so hyper-realistic that it is both jarring and, ironically, serves to make scenes look fake."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #364 on: December 05, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
The ability to differentiate sets means filmakers need to up their game, not so much a problem with 48fps.  Those comments hold true for plenty of 24fps films.  If they want to do 48fps they'll need to spend more money to get it right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
Exactly what I thought. That said, I still really, really want to see this movie just for the 48FPS alone. I really don't even like the Hobbit or LoTR that much at all. But this is really interesting. Good read, Orby.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
Yeah... After reading several reviews similar to the one above I think I am going to see it in 24 fps my first time. However, I'm still excited to see how the HFR looks in my second viewing. I expect that some stuff will look superb, especially the nature. I'm just hoping the sets aren't TOO noticeable. And even if they are, as long as the movie itself is good, I'll be okay. It's not like I'm not going to be watching the Hobbit in HFR on my bluray player.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #367 on: December 05, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
I'll probably see it twice - first in 24, then in 48.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #368 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
Same here, if there is a theater around here showing it in 48.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
I had this problem when I got my HD TV. Supernatural looked sped up but the voices and sounds synced up. It was really weird. Eventually I did get used to it but it was quite distracting at the time.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #370 on: December 05, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
Yeah I'll probably see it in 24fps as well. Although, the hyper-realism sounds really interesting to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #371 on: December 06, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

This.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: December 11, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »
While early reviews have me a little worried about whether this film will deliver plot wise (I’m sure it’ll deliver as another avenue for Tolkien fanatics like myself to be absorbed in the world), I picked up the soundtrack during lunch today and it is phenomenal, even better in some ways that the trilogy soundtracks. The extended addition is well worth it, too, including many passages where the orchestra just lets loose (perhaps these were too eventful to be included in the movie?)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #373 on: December 11, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
Two more days. I'll see it in 3D as no cinema in my area knows when the movie will be available in 2D. It's incredible, I have never heard anything like that before. They don't even know their own shit!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #374 on: December 11, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
I'm seeing it tomorrow in 48 fps. I am excited :drool:
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Seeing it tomorrow in 3D 24fps, and then again on sunday in 3D 48fps. Really looking forward to it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
Also, to add fire on fire, nobody among the cinema staff was aware of the existence of 48fps. Still, I am very excited, despite all the discouraging reviews I've been reading as of late.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
I’m seeing this Midnight in IMAX 3D. Is that 48fps? I have no idea. The person who got the tickets doesn’t either.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #378 on: December 11, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
I want to see it in standard 2D and 24fps if possible first. I haven't checked which versions will be available at my local cinema, though. Should be interesting since I don't particularly care for 3D movies at all.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #379 on: December 11, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
I’m seeing this Midnight in IMAX 3D. Is that 48fps?
I don't think so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #380 on: December 11, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
Turns out I'm not avoiding opening weekend after all, since my friend is doing a birthday trip to see it... so I'll be seeing it like this (which I've never even heard of until I got the Facebook invite): https://www.harkinstheatres.com/CineCapri.aspx

As long as it's not 3D, I'm good.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
Seeing an advance screening in about an hour in 48fps 3D.  I'll let you all know what I think

Offline jammindude

« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
I am curious to see what this does to the 3D market.   I know that *one* of the problems associated with 3D is that you have to slow down effects shots (because of the *frame rate*) in order to avoid blurring the picture.

Not that there aren't other issues with 3D (the glasses make the picture darker)...but if 48fps solves that one issue, it might improve the technology overall. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »
So if I go and see this, how will I know which one is 48FPS?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »
It's the one that sucks.