Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 175101 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: The Hobbit greenlit!
« Reply #560 on: December 30, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
Saw it.  AMAZING.

Thank god. Now the next one who tells me that the movie sucks will see me saying. "Bosk1 liked it. Your arguement is invalid"
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #561 on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »
I think they used way too much CGI this time around that didn't look as good as the last 3, but it was still a solid movie.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »
I enjoyed it better than LoTR. It has a more laid back, more personalities mood. An Amazing movie, met my imagination of some scenes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #563 on: December 31, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
I keep hearing tons of flak towards The Hobbit, so I went to go see it today so I could finally get an opinion on it. I loved it. It was great. Not perfect, and certainly not LOTR. But still fucking great. And the 48fps looked GORGEOUS.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #564 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »
People that complain about FPS are like the ones who complain about a song being a common chord progression, by a technical band. Which in turn i laugh.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #565 on: January 01, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
I was just looking for a bit of conversation that I remembered from earlier. I swear some of my posts are disappearing...
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 01, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
Apparently Avatar 2 will be in 60 fps so I can't imagine how that will look.  :o

But if anyone can make it look good - it's James Cameron.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #567 on: January 02, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
Saw it.  AMAZING.

Thank god. Now the next one who tells me that the movie sucks will see me saying. "Bosk1 liked it. Your arguement is invalid"

:lol  It was truly great.  I did find myself much more easily picking up on where Jackson deviated from the text than I did for LOTR, but I am not sure whether that is because the deviations were more blatant, or simply because there is less material in the Hobbit, which made the deviations more obvious.  Generally, I trust Jackson's vision.  He handled LOTR very well, IMO, and his deviations from the text really were justified.  One in the Hobbit that bothered me a bit was how the whole troll scene unfolded.  In other places where he deviated, it made sense.  I didn't see any point to changing how the troll scene happened.  I think that should have been left well enough alone.

Perhaps the other biggest change is more general.  Bilbo is just more...deliberate once he makes up his mind about something.  To me, this is a pretty big character shift from the Bilbo of the book.  But the one problem I have with the book is that when Bilbo takes the Arkenstone, it has always felt so out of the blue to me.  That is one thing about the book that I have never really been able to connect with.  On the other hand, I can see the Bilbo of the films making that decision once we get to it.

I thought the other additions were nice and served a purpose, whether they were additions from the appendices or Jackson's own embellishments.  The Pale Orc, for example, really doesn't fit with the book or appendices.  But given that the battle of 5 armies will likely play such a prominent role in the third installment, his addition is a great subplot that should give an added dimension to the battle and Thorin's ultimate demise.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #568 on: January 02, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
I didn't see any point to changing how the troll scene happened.  I think that should have been left well enough alone.
Out of curiosity, what changes are you referring to here? After reading the book again I was really glad that they changed the troll scene. In the book there is no reason for the dwarves or Bilbo to go to the trolls (they just see a light and send Bilbo to investigate it), and after Bilbo doesn't come back the dwarves' tactic is to send one dwarf at a time, at intervals of five minutes, to go see what is wrong. Each dwarf gets captured instantly because he just walks out into the clearing, and the trolls stick a sack over his head. You'd think after the third or fourth dwarf doesn't come back they would be a bit more careful, or go together. Having the dwarves try to attack the trolls together but be forced to surrender makes them seem a lot less incompetent and mentally challenged than having them walk one by one into the clearing and get sacks put over their heads. I can't imagine seeing that play out on screen, and it'd be hard to take the dwarves seriously if that was what happened.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #569 on: January 02, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »
Having them use Bilbo to make the dwarves surrender just didn't feel right.  And I just don't see the trolls figuring that tactic out and making it work.  I think they could have modified the scene only slightly and had it work.  The first two dwarves could have gone in after Bilbo and been captured quite easily.  Then they could have done the one-at-a-time thing for one or two more, and then had the remaining dwarves figure out what was going on, charge in, and be overwhelmed by the superior strength of the trolls.  They also removed Gandalf from using his ventriloquist act to distract and delay the trolls until dawn, and then had Gandalf splitting the rock to let the already risen sun shine on them...and this, to me, just unnecessarily removed a lot of the feeling and charm from the scene.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #570 on: January 02, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
On the troll scene, I think it worked to have Bilbo be the 'savior' (vs Gandalf and the ventriloquism), as a start for Bilbo to 'win over' Thorin.

As for the pending 'thieving' of the Arkenstone, I attributed it to two things... first, Bilbo starts to take on the role of 'thief' much more literally; and second, the effects (selfishness) of the Ring start to take a hold of him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #571 on: January 02, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
As for the pending 'thieving' of the Arkenstone, I attributed it to two things... first, Bilbo starts to take on the role of 'thief' much more literally; and second, the effects (selfishness) of the Ring start to take a hold of him.

Not sure about the second.  But along similar lines, I took it as the Arkenstone itself being such an obviously beautiful gem that seeing it would have compelled him to pocket it, ring or no.  But my post wasn't referring to him taking it.  What seemed underdeveloped to me in the book wasn't him taking it, but him giving it up.  I think the way his character is being developed in the films seems like it is going to work to help better set that up.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #572 on: January 02, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »
Saw it.  AMAZING.

:lol  It was truly great.  I did find myself much more easily picking up on where Jackson deviated from the text than I did for LOTR, but I am not sure whether that is because the deviations were more blatant, or simply because there is less material in the Hobbit, which made the deviations more obvious.
Perhaps because LotR was condensing the works while The Hobbit was expanding a work?  I know that's not exactly true, but I think the gist is.  Easier to pick out things you don't recall than to recall things you currently aren't seeing.  I read LotR after seeing the movies and picking out even the small deviations was obvious even though I had not seen the movies in a few years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
Yeah, that may be it as well.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #574 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:04 AM »
Saw it again. I. A date, she really liked it!! I love yhis movie, ir's anazing

Offline PetFish

« Reply #575 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:00 AM »
^^

Is something going on there on your date that's distracting you from your typing?  ;)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #576 on: January 03, 2013, 03:24:30 AM »
^^

Is something going on there on your date that's distracting you from your typing?  ;)
Hehrhehe,  no I
Just really rink reaally late tegeh
Also I want to touch her boobers

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #577 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #578 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
He had a date.  He wants to touch her boobers.  The rest... no fucking idea, but it's not really important at this point.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #579 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
^^

Hehrhehe,  no I
post of the year?
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #580 on: January 03, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
I'm baffled :blush
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: January 03, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »
^^

Hehrhehe,  no I
:)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #582 on: January 03, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #583 on: January 03, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
One other thing I have to comment on:  Jackson threw in a Wilhelm.  He actually threw in a Wilhelm.  And...and...I thought it was awesome.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #584 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
One other thing I have to comment on:  Jackson threw in a Wilhelm.  He actually threw in a Wilhelm.  And...and...I thought it was awesome.
I rewatched The Two Towers today and was surprised to learn that there is one there as well. In both cases, it kinda threw me out of the moment so I'm not sure I liked that they're there. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #585 on: January 03, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »

???
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #586 on: January 03, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #587 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
the expansion of the hobbit bothered me somewhat. taking obscure references to dwarven battles and fashioning a one armed Orc to hunt them down throughout the movie is just goofy. I'm looking forward to Liv Tyler's character pleading to Smaug to not eat her in elvish in the next movie. After the kidnapping at the green dragon inn who can blame her.
What? You don't remember that part?
Ask Tom Bombadil he remembers.
Merry ol' Tom.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #588 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »
hey dol
merry dol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #590 on: January 03, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
The Wilhelm scream instantly caught my attention as 'not belonging there' because it's so recognisable. I didn't like it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: January 04, 2013, 05:34:38 AM »
The Wilhelm scream also isn't a sound one would think those goblins would make. Which also threw me off a little.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #592 on: January 04, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
Pretty sure the Wilhelm scream is a joke among the movie world. I also thought it was odd that a goblin would scream like that.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #593 on: January 04, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
Saw it again, this time in HFR 3D. Compared to regular version....it was better. The HFR took the blurriness out of the movie, and made it ultra crisp. This was especially noticeable in combat scenes. You could really make out what was going on. For the next two movies, I'll probably bypass seeing the 24 fps versions altogether.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #594 on: January 05, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
I rewatched The Two Towers today and was surprised to learn that there is one there as well. In both cases, it kinda threw me out of the moment so I'm not sure I liked that they're there. :lol
I watched the trilogy a few weeks ago; if I remember correctly it seems like I heard it in all three.
Listen! Do you smell something?